Hillel quote remixed

Ahanu

Reaction score
"Some pagans came to Hillel and told him that they would convert to his faith if he could recite the whole of Jewish teaching while he stood on one leg. So Hillel obligingly stood on one leg like a stork and said: 'Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. That is the Torah. The rest is commentary. Go and learn it.'"

As you get to know me, you will learn that I love quotes! I can't seem to write without having ideas I agree with to think on. Here is what I have been playing around with, so lets play along if we can.

"Some Buddhist came to Hillel and told him that they would convert to his faith if he could recite the whole of Jewish teaching while he stood on one leg. So Hillel obligingly stood on one leg like a stork and said: 'Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. That is the Torah. The rest is commentary. Go and learn it.'"

"Some Hindus came to Hillel and told him that they would convert to his faith if he could recite the whole of Jewish teaching while he stood on one leg. So Hillel obligingly stood on one leg like a stork and said: 'Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. That is the Torah. The rest is commentary. Go and learn it.'"

"Some Muslims came to Hillel and told him that they would convert to his faith if he could recite the whole of Jewish teaching while he stood on one leg. So Hillel obligingly stood on one leg like a stork and said: 'Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. That is the Torah. The rest is commentary. Go and learn it.'"

Simply replace pagan with the religious group or group of people you absolutely can not tolerate. Now is were I begin to have a little fun. . .

"Some atheists came to Hillel and told him that they would convert to his faith if he could recite the whole of Jewish teaching while he stood on one leg. So Hillel obligingly stood on one leg like a stork and said: 'Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. That is the Torah. The rest is commentary. Go and learn it.'"

Let's assume that Hillel is correct. If so, since the rest of the Bible is just commentary, why can't an atheists go to church to learn more about the golden rule? As the atheist learns to practice the golden rule, does he grow closer to God, even though he does not believe in God? What were those atheists supposed to believe? According to Hillel, one can be converted to his faith based on the following: Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you. Hey, this is the only thing I could think of where I would be able to begin a real dialogue with an atheist.

Simply replace pagan with the religious group or group of people you absolutely can not tolerate. Now is were I begin to have a little fun. . .
hmmm... having fun with intolerance....is that following the golden rule I wonder?? Or am I perceiving a mountain out of a mole hillel?

thanks for keeping me straight, sorry.:(

thanks for keeping me straight, sorry.:(
No sorry, part of the process as I see it. And me keeping folks straight?? I seem to have come on to strong...please don't feel overly chastised...I expected some discussion on me being too politically correct despite the fact that I am not.

It is interesting how we change and grow....there are stories I used to love telling, things I used to love to do...but now am still working on insuring folks forgive me for those past transgressions. But we learn and grow in different ways, folks like me do it by making mistakes.

Back