the big rip

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
APOD: 2007 October 21 - Will the Universe End in a Big Rip?

How will our universe end? Recent speculation now includes a pervasive growing field of mysterious repulsive phantom energy that rips virtually everything apart. Although the universe started with a Big Bang, analysis of cosmological measurements allows a possibility that it will end with a Big Rip. As soon as few billion years from now, the controversial scenario holds, dark energy will grow to such a magnitude that our own Galaxy will no longer be able to hold itself together. After that, stars, planets, and then even atoms might not be able to withstand the expansive internal force. Previously, speculation on the ultimate fate of the universe centered on either a re-collapsing Big Crunch or a Big Freeze. Although the universe's fate is still a puzzle, piecing it together will likely follow from an increased understanding of the nature of dark matter and dark energy.

Well yeah. In a few billion years we will all either have been transformed into specks of dust floating around out and in there, or maybe we'll all turn into gas, which is what happens anyhow when we get older these days. Maybe that's what all the terminology is about that you found related to "ripping".

To quote one of my favorite movie lines,"Frankly my dear I don't give a da**", but I guess that I should since it's part of nature. I just guess I'm more than willing to let it all take care of itself, which is what G-d and nature always do anyway.

Lots and lots of good research links in the piece wil, good work. Everyone should trace and read them for their educational value.

ps...I somehow managed to run into that "repulsive phantom energy" stuff quite a lot as my first marriage moved along.

flow....;)

Lots and lots of good research links in the piece wil, good work. Everyone should trace and read them for their educational value.
not mine...research and links that is....pure cut and paste from APOD. APOD is worth a daily visit, first you get a photo or art that you can meditate, contemplate right into...causes you to regularly change your screen shot...and then a paragraph, just like the one pasted with links galore to expand the interfaces on your neuronet... I can't miss my daily fix... this one I just had to share...

wil...thanks for the APOD tip. I already spend too much time and energy on my daily and weekly info tours around the net. Maybe I'll chop something and add APOD.
Thanks again Bud

flow....;)

According to the Bhagavata Purana the world becomes like a ball of burning cow-dung! I thought that was a nicely put!

SB 12.4.6: O King, upon the annihilation of the material elements, the universal egg, comprising the elemental amalgamation of creation, is confronted with destruction.

SB 12.4.7: As annihilation approaches, O King, there will be no rain upon the earth for one hundred years. Drought will lead to famine, and the starving populace will literally consume one another. The inhabitants of the earth, bewildered by the force of time, will gradually be destroyed.

SB 12.4.8: The sun in its annihilating form will drink up with its terrible rays all the water of the ocean, of living bodies and of the earth itself. But the devastating sun will not give any rain in return.

SB 12.4.9: Next the great fire of annihilation will flare up from the mouth of Lord Sankarshana. Carried by the mighty force of the wind, this fire will burn throughout the universe, scorching the lifeless cosmic shell.

SB 12.4.10: Burned from all sides -- from above by the blazing sun and from below by the fire of Lord Sankarshana -- the universal sphere will glow like a burning ball of cow dung.

But we've got approx 4,320,000,000 years (or so) to go, so no need to worry. ;)

... Neemai :)

P.S - I liked the links Wil & love this topic. Patrick Moore's approach makes sense - last time I read he was a 'Big Crunch leading to another Big Bang' man.

Back