What would the Buddha have said?

intrepidlover

Melchizedek
Reaction score
I guess it will be starting to look like I attract women who are fanatical about their religion. This is quite a long story so please bear with me.

Five years ago in a local coffee shop, I met a Chinese Buddhist nun, named Xing, who was 35 years of age at the time. Despite her almost complete lack of English, we managed to communicate and struck up a nice friendship. There were a number of meetings in person, but for the most part we communicated by email. The emails were translated by a married Chinese Buddhist female with whom Xing was boarding.

However suddenly the emails stopped without giving any reason. I sent a number of emails which received no replies. As I knew the street but not the house number where Xing was staying, I had no way of contacting her, but I asked neighbours if they had seen the nun and they said yes they had. So why was Xing not replying to my emails?

After a very lengthy period of non-communication, Xing rang me speaking quite acceptable English, and wanted to visit me. She was returning to China in one week's time and wanted me to go with her. She was staying temporarily with some different Buddhists who she did not like much. She wanted to stay with me for the final week. She hopped up onto the bed in the spare room and said assertively: "I will sleep here." However I declined as I had been living alone for such a long time that I was not comfortable about sharing my space.

I asked why there had been no replies to my emails, and it turned out the girl she had been boarding with had simply not told her about them. This girl had quite deliberately blocked us from having a friendship for reasons unknown.

Because Xing's real father had been "nasty" after spending 10 years as a political prisoner, she chose to refer to me as her "good father." No problems there for me. So I had a "daughter." I was invited to stay in China with herself and her mother at any time. It was not feasible for me to do this because of commitments (like work) in Sydney.

So off she went to China and there was spasmodic exchange of emails between us. After a certain time she said things were not working out in China and that she would like to return to Sydney but could not afford to pay rent. So I invited my "daughter" to stay with me, sleeping in the second bedroom.

She was very agreeable to this arrangement and indicated quite clearly in a number of emails that it was her definite intention to stay with me on this father/daughter basis. I know this girl loves me and so I started to plan a life together -- how she would fit into my lifestyle; what activities we might share; how she could earn money teaching meditation. By this time I had outgrown my need for "space" and longed for the companionship of a quiet and gentle person like Xing. I built my whole future around this projected arrangement of having the girl who loved me share my life indefinitely.

Xing arrived in Sydney on November 15 as she had told me, and after staying for a week or so with the same family she had boarded with previously, she came to visit me. She embraced me, hugged me, pressed her small firm boobs against my chest, allowed me to place my hand on her bottom, snuggled up to me, cried on my shoulder, stroked my hands ..... in what was obviously not a daughterly or Platonic manner but in the way more of a lover. She even bit me on the shoulder -- surely that was not daughterly behaviour. [I need to be graphic to make my point]

And then she dropped the bombshell. Her Buddhist order said she was not permitted to live in the same house as a man.

So now we come to my question. Would the Buddha have forbidden a female nun to live under the same roof as a man whom she loved and regarded only as a father or Platonic friend, and not as a husband, boyfriend or lover?

I specifically ask for opinions based on the original teachings of Gautama Buddha and not rules for monastic life which may have developed after his passing.

Well nothing was written down during Gautama’s lifetime, but “rules for monastic life” (including celibacy) were I think taught by him.

AN 8.41: Uposatha Sutta

And for a lay person, abstention from “sexual misconduct” is of course one of the five Precepts.

What is Suttanta Pitaka? - Sila

Do you both expect and want a Platonic relationship? Her recent behaviour you describe suggests she is wavering between a monastic and lay person's life.

Ultimately however of course you are the Buddha in this if you look inwards – the answer to your difficulties is there to be realised.

s.

hello Intrepid...

the Buddha would have said... " she was playing u, kiddo"...

maybe she wanted a way out? maybe she saw u as a means to escape the order? maybe she just wanted a free room and some okay company and the odd gift?

just because she was a nun does not mean she was not capable of deception...

monks and nuns get no pay... they might, if they are lucky, get pocket money... I know of many monks and nuns who befriend ppl so they may get some shoes, or a new winter coat, as their order will not provide- maybe it was the same for her... I don't think Buddha would hold it against them...

she wanted to stay with u- u said no... then the emails became sporadic- as she knew she wasn't going to play u? u wouldn't play, so she moved on...

then, of course, defining ur relationship as a daughter/father one meant u would feel kindly towards her and she would not have to get naked... it meant u would want to provide for ur new daughter, and think more of her than u would otherwise... that she offerred u to stay with her and her mum forces u, unconsciously, to reciprocate, and voila- she arrives!

that she pressed her breasts against u and allowed u to feel her bottom says it all, really... she knew no nun should behave this way...

the buddha said u should imagine the woman u feel lust for as a bag filled with pus... every orifice poison, to kill ur passion...

u obviously didn't! lol...

but hey...

so, u seem to imply ur attracting this type of women, and maybe this means u need to look at urself a little- if ur looking for a sweet, decent, religious woman, godly and innocent, so u can have some pure romance- REMEMBER THE PUS!!!!

maybe u are an idealist, but Buddha said... it is harder for a woman to be a nun than it is for a man to become a monk,

and it is this way because women are (subconsiously) looking for providers, and benefactors, so they can buy make up and dress up and look pretty and send their kids to school with full bellies...

... so much of being a woman comes down to ur beauty- and being beautiful costs money- highlights and good haircuts and facials and manicures and waxing and nice teeth and nice clothes and status handbags- none of it comes cheap...

but hey...

if ur relatively worthy, and wealthy, I'm a decent religious sort of woman, and Sydney sounds nice...lol...

He'd probably mutter something incomprehensible about plum trees and then ask you to pass the soy sauce.

Most things that seem too good to be true are. Especially if they come from the internet!

Chris

hello Intrepid...

the Buddha would have said... " she was playing u, kiddo"...

That sounds quite possible/probable.

maybe she wanted a way out? maybe she saw u as a means to escape the order? maybe she just wanted a free room and some okay company and the odd gift?

No I don't think so. She is committed to the order.

just because she was a nun does not mean she was not capable of deception...

Good point. Noted.

monks and nuns get no pay... they might, if they are lucky, get pocket money... I know of many monks and nuns who befriend ppl so they may get some shoes, or a new winter coat, as their order will not provide- maybe it was the same for her... I don't think Buddha would hold it against them...

No. She somehow earned the money for a return airfare to Sydney and presumably a visa. I guess this would be quite difficult in China. As she is staying only four weeks in Sydney, I need to ask her why she spent this much money for a brief visit.

then, of course, defining ur relationship as a daughter/father one meant u would feel kindly towards her and she would not have to get naked... it meant u would want to provide for ur new daughter, and think more of her than u would otherwise.

Good point.

that she pressed her breasts against u and allowed u to feel her bottom says it all, really... she knew no nun should behave this way...

I have been advised by a female friend that the need to experience sexual arousal would be too strong to resist.

the buddha said u should imagine the woman u feel lust for as a bag filled with pus... every orifice poison, to kill ur passion...

u obviously didn't! lol...

I feel lust for every good looking girl. The younger the girl (the legal age in Australia is 16) the greater the lust. But in this case as I am 66 and she is 40 I really wanted her primarily for the companionship. I was quite surprised (but also delighted) that she came on so strongly physically.

maybe u are an idealist, but Buddha said... it is harder for a woman to be a nun than it is for a man to become a monk,

and it is this way because women are (subconsiously) looking for providers, and benefactors, so they can buy make up and dress up and look pretty and send their kids to school with full bellies...

She doesn't want to marry or have kids or dress up and look pretty. She has shaven head and normally wears nun's attire.

... so much of being a woman comes down to ur beauty- and being beautiful costs money- highlights and good haircuts and facials and manicures and waxing and nice teeth and nice clothes and status handbags- none of it comes cheap...

I have no reason to believe that she wants any of these things.

but hey...

if ur relatively worthy, and wealthy, I'm a decent religious sort of woman, and Sydney sounds nice...lol...

Yes Sydney is a nice place. Australia is indeed the "lucky country." I am poorer than a church mouse. A church mouse has nothing, I have a debt. But please feel free to send me a private message. :)

Thank you all for your very insightful and helpful comments. The following ideas have occurred to me since making the initial post.

1. During the period of non-communication because the woman she was staying with was apparently not telling Xing of my emails, Xing knew my phone number and where I lived and could easily have reopened communication.

2. Xing wanted me to go with her to China and stay board-free with herself and her mother. I inferred from some comments she made when we met one week ago, that her mother needed companionship. So I think the idea might have been that I have a relationship with her mother. Xing would thus be in a position to enjoy my company with no obligation to establish a man/woman relationship.

3. IF I see her again before she returns to China on December 13, I will ask the following questions:

(a) Why did you spend so much money on airfare just to visit Australia for four weeks?
(b) In what way was your father nasty? Did he have sex with you? Did he beat you?
(c) Have you ever had sex with a man?

Then I will say:

(a) It is time to end the fantasy. I am not your father and you are not my daughter. If I was your real father you should be permitted to live in my home.
(b) You can't have your cake and eat it to. I am a man and you are a mature woman. If you wish to have a close friendship with a male, you will have to accept a male/female type friendship and not this silly father/daughter arrangement.
(b) You are of no use to me in China. During the past three years you only emailed me to ask me to correct some English for you. If you really loved me, you would have exchanged friendly emails.
(c) If you wish to experience sexual arousal, then let's get undressed and get into bed. You will then know what you are missing by choosing a totally celibate life.

Que sera, sera. I don't of course really know what her motives are, but by addressing the situation frankly as described, I will soon enough find out.

Once again thank you for your insight.

lol, Intrepid...

maybe then she was trying to set u up with her mum! (aww)

but sheesh, man! u can't ask her if her Dad had sex with her!!!!! That would be so wrong on so many levels!!!!

as for the rest of the things... the last bit: a,b,c,d,e,: great... why not say it... but the first bit! u can't honestly ask her b and c!!! lol... that would be uncouth, and well, u sound like a gentleman... a gentleman wouldn't ask a lady those things (unless of course u'll use it as fantasy material later, of course, lol)

hope u post n let us know how it played out...

adios

lol, Intrepid...

maybe then she was trying to set u up with her mum! (aww)

Quite possibly. When I spoke to her last week she made a point of saying that her mother needed companionship just as I do.

but sheesh, man! u can't ask her if her Dad had sex with her!!!!! That would be so wrong on so many levels!!!!

On the contrary. If her father had molested her, that would explain everything -- why she disliked her father; why she became a nun; why she wants me to be her "good father."

as for the rest of the things... the last bit: a,b,c,d,e,: great... why not say it... but the first bit! u can't honestly ask her b and c!!! lol... that would be uncouth, and well, u sound like a gentleman... a gentleman wouldn't ask a lady those things (unless of course u'll use it as fantasy material later, of course, lol)

Who said I was a gentleman? And how do you expect me to ascertain her real feelings and motivations without being quite explicit in my questions? What is happening to the world? Everywhere I turn these days I encounter prudishness such as I have not previously known. [/quote]

hope u post n let us know how it played out...

adios

I will. On further thought, I think it might go like this. She wants to remain a nun. As a woman -- who has quite likely never experienced intimacy with a man -- she wants to experience the SENSATIONS (physical, emotional, mental and spiritual) of a close relationship with a male.

So by labeling me "father" she can experience some of these sensations (short of actual physical intimacy) without breaching her nun status.

What is ridiculous about the not-living-with-me part is that she could live separately but visit my home every day for sex if she was so inclined.

It is absolutely essential that I clear the air regarding her motives and intentions because she has said that she may return to Australia in two years time. I need to know if I can look forward to a close friendship or if, as initially was suggested, she is just "playing me."

3. IF I see her again before she returns to China on December 13, I will ask the following questions:

(a) Why did you spend so much money on airfare just to visit Australia for four weeks?
(b) In what way was your father nasty? Did he have sex with you? Did he beat you?
(c) Have you ever had sex with a man?

Then I will say:

(a) It is time to end the fantasy. I am not your father and you are not my daughter. If I was your real father you should be permitted to live in my home.
(b) You can't have your cake and eat it to. I am a man and you are a mature woman. If you wish to have a close friendship with a male, you will have to accept a male/female type friendship and not this silly father/daughter arrangement.
(b) You are of no use to me in China. During the past three years you only emailed me to ask me to correct some English for you. If you really loved me, you would have exchanged friendly emails.
(c) If you wish to experience sexual arousal, then let's get undressed and get into bed. You will then know what you are missing by choosing a totally celibate life.

I think this is the right approach. You both need to see reality for what it is, or mistakes are inevitable. Good luck!

eudaimonia,

Mark

Update -- and probably final word. I spent the afternoon with Xing on Monday November 26. She said she would ring me the following week but I have not had a word from her.

Here is the email I sent to her on December 1.

Hello Xing

I don't know if you will receive this email but here goes. You have chosen a father/daughter relationship between us. Perhaps you don't realise how much you have hurt me by changing your mind about living with me. I have been planning for the past six months or more how we would live together and the things we would do and so forth.

You have chosen to follow the orders of your Buddhist friends and ignore your promises to me. This whole business of not living in the same house is nonsense. You could live separately and visit me every day for sex if you were inclined.

However I am not interested in sex or marriage but in companionship as you well know. You promised me this companionship and now you have rejected me. And in case you are not aware of how much these Buddhists want to control your mind and your life, you might care to think back how Linda did not tell you about my emails to you for a long period of time. Your English was good then and we could have had many happy moments together.

I do not like the way these people control your mind and your life. I am sure it is not what Gautama Buddha would do.

You are returning to China on December 13. You have not kept your promise to me and have hurt me deeply. I do not wish to be hurt again. As you are obviously no longer interested in what I want, I suggest that you get out of my life altogether.

Of course you are not my REAL daughter but if you were, then it would be nonsense to suggest that you could not live in the same house as your father.

Please be the daughter you promised to be, or stay out of my life altogether. You are no use to me in China and you are of very little use to me in Sydney.

You have made the choice to live in an emotional void for the rest of your life, when you could have chosen to be loved and appreciated by me. It is your decision.

As Francis King said: the Buddha would have said... " she was playing u, kiddo"...

Yes Francis, I think you got it right first time. She returns to China on December 13. I am already searching on the web for a REAL Chinese woman.

Once again, thank you all for your most helpful comments.

Ouch, that hurt my eyes.

I don't know what Buddha would say but given your name IntrepidLover and the fact that I drove an Intrepid for awhile, I think my advice is: Have patience and slow down when driving blind.

Back