Biobank

Snoopy

Reaction score
“…is a major UK medical research initiative, and a registered charity in its own right, with the aim of improving the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses – including cancer, heart diseases, diabetes, arthritis and forms of dementia.”

UKBiobank - What is it?

To this end they are recruiting 500,000 people to participate and although I’d seen about it on the news recently I’d sort of forgotten about it. But now an invitation to be one of those people has dropped though my letter box. Anybody else? Or any thoughts generally?

s.

Snoopy...What a wonderfully progessive idea! Which, of course, means that nothing of a similar nature will ever see the light of day here across the pond.

flow....:(

Snoopy...What a wonderfully progessive idea! Which, of course, means that nothing of a similar nature will ever see the light of day here across the pond.

flow....:(

Fear not, the data/information farmed/collated will (from what I gather) be made available to researchers worldwide. I'm hoping this doesn't mean Snoopy's BMI ending up on the Internet but with the UK's recent almost unbelievable foul-ups on the data privacy (or lack of) front*, I wouldn't be completely surprised...

s.

* for our non-UK readers...

BBC NEWS | Politics | Timeline: Child benefits records loss

BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Thousands of driver details lost

...just two examples... it seems to be a daily occurrence...

Well, that's me done. :)

The good news is that I've got the lungs of an 18 year old man. The bad news is he wants them back.

s.

I've been participating in a small cohort study in the SE US for about ten years now. Every couple of years they touch base with me and my doctor (with my permission).

Back