Why are we listed under "Modern Religions" (not "Abrahamic" religions) in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opal

Reaction score
I did have one question the first time I came to this board but havent had time to raise is, so I guess I will do it now

Howcomes Bahai is listed under "Modern Religions" and not "Abrahamic Religions" on this messageboard? Its rather strange...

Shall I raise this with the admin or something?

Re: Why are we listed under "Modern Religions" (not "Abrahamic" religions) in this fo

I was looking at the descriptions for each sub-forum

For "Modern Religions" it says:
Religions new to the world over the recent centuries, their ideas, followings, and meaning

While it is true that the Bahai faith stems back to the mid-1800s, it has been shown that Bahaullah is a descendent of Abraham and is hence an Abrahamic religion

Re: Why are we listed under "Modern Religions" (not "Abrahamic" religions) in this fo

Hi Opal!

A year or so ago this forum went through a few changes.. at that time, Baha'i Faith was listed among Abrahamic religions. Then the changes... We discussed this at great length with the administrator of the forum and were unable to change it. so that's where it lies.. I also have some issues with it and would welcome a change.

I was informed not too long ago that there will be additional changes in the wind... this too I'm unsure about but am hopeful things can improve.

- Art:)

I was looking at the descriptions for each sub-forum

For "Modern Religions" it says:
Religions new to the world over the recent centuries, their ideas, followings, and meaning

While it is true that the Bahai faith stems back to the mid-1800s, it has been shown that Bahaullah is a descendent of Abraham and is hence an Abrahamic religion
Namaste Opal,

I would suppose that in another 150 years or so the argument that you are no longer modern would be well founded and the move should be made. And then no to long after that the Rasta's could join us as well.

It actually falls under the category of 'you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time' Decisions are made and as you indicated you fit under Abrahamic, but are also clearly when it comes to religion also quite modern.

There are some advantages to the Bahai Forum being listed under Modern Religions. :D

Namaste Opal,

I would suppose that in another 150 years or so the argument that you are no longer modern would be well founded and the move should be made. And then no to long after that the Rasta's could join us as well.

It actually falls under the category of 'you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time' Decisions are made and as you indicated you fit under Abrahamic, but are also clearly when it comes to religion also quite modern.

I don't know about the hundred and fifty years there Will... ?! But ultimately on this forum it's up to the administrator. Other forums organize things their way as well...

The problem with the classification is that it's always going to have to be based on very arbitrary decisions - there are a few other faiths that could have been listed in Abrahamic, but the aim on that board is to capture the fact that there's a very long traditional history of inter-reference between the faiths of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - and that board aims to continue to encourage that specific aspect.

That doesn't mean that Baha'is can't discuss such issues from their own standpoint, though. In fact, it could be read as an opportunity to make the Baha'i faith more prominent in that regard. :)

Modern Religions seemed more appropriate in that there are various religions founded over the past couple of centuries which are also rooted in ancient traditions, usually providing a more modern interpretation.

I know some people have complained about the company that sets Baha'is in, but I'm going by the historical perspective, rather than any attempt at qualitative judgements, which is not my place to make.

There was a rather lengthy discussion previously here:
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/board-re-structuring-3787.html

Questions for Brian...

Hey Brian..

Good to read your post...

You know away back there in 2005 you posted this:

"...the Modern Religions section is woefully under-developed, and I am to actively expand that.

I think someone raised a concern about being among less well known groups, but as that section expands, it could well become one of the most diverse and dynamic areas of the site."

Now in 2008 what is your assessment?

Do you think "Modern Religions" has become "diverse and dynamic"?

or flacid and uniform...

Also, one other question:

What's in the works? That is, what kind of redesign are you considering for Interfaith forums?

Brian,

Let us know if you need assistance... or need to consult on any issues for the new site.

You are probably aware of other inter-faith sites too.

For some of us on this forum this has been a difficult experience in the past few years and I for one would like to assist in any way to improve things.

Will do, Art. :)

Here you go, Art:
http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/big-change-on-the-way-8550.html

:)

The time I've been able to spend developing CR has been woefully limited, but now I'm rebuilding it as Interfaith.org, hopefully this means I can start to catch up a bit. :)

Will the new site show the relationship the Baha'i Faith has with Judaism, Christianity, and Islam? We believe Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad. There's no doubt we're Abrahamic :)

The more so given our Central Figures' descent from all three of His wives!

Bruce

Baha'u'llah is very Abrahamic :)

I think He is also descended from Zoroaster... or at least from the ancient kings of Persia. He was a prince, literally.

I realize that this is a very old thread, but I hope someone will notice; as a brand new member, I must admit that being a Baha'i, I looked under the Abrahamic religions section first and was very confused to find it under Modern Religions.

Just a thought for the future.

If the Bahai feel they are the culmination of all religions, how could they be started with Abraham?

If the Bahai feel they are the culmination of all religions, how could they be started with Abraham?

Could you please elaborate on your question? I read "culmination" as "highest point," or do you mean they are a mixture of all religions, and, therefore, the Baha'i Faith could not be started with Abraham because Abraham does not make tossed salads?

The Baha'i Faith is comprised of all faiths. I like the word comprised better.

1. To consist of; be composed of
  2. To include; contain
Comprise Definition | Definition of Comprise at Dictionary.com

Abdul-Baha is said to have quoted the following words:

"Coming with a hundred, ninety is included therein."
-Rumi

Are we assuming Abraham's religion just descended from heaven on him instantaneously, and so he feels that other religions other than his are hell-sent? Realistically speaking, Abraham probably worked hard on learning current religious ideas, he describes his faith in similar language to the society he lived in, also had similar rituals, yet he had a little inspiration mixed in.

Abraham lived in a tribal society.

Baha'u'llah does not.

That could also be a reason for you to question if the Baha'i Faith could have started with Abraham.

The Baha'i religion is a very young one, and I'm under the impression it claims association with all major religions.

So even if listed in the Abrahamic section, I'm sure we would then get request to also list it in the Eastern, Modern, and other sections accordingly.

Rastafarianism isn't listed under Abrahamic either, even though it is very much an extension of Christian tradition.

When people commonly think of Abrahamic religions, they necessarily think of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, because each claims a direct continuation through Abraham. Any new and distinct branches from these get treated as new religions.

Because the Baha'i religion claims links with multiple religions, it cannot really be thought of as an extension of the Abrahamic system.

I'll let other, better spoken Baha'is comment more thoroughly about the connection, but let me assure you that as Baha'is we do "trace our lineage" as it were back through to Abraham.

I was able to find this quote from Some Answered Questions by Abdu'l-Baha

"Besides this, an especial blessing is conferred on some families and some generations. Thus it is an especial blessing that from among the descendants of Abraham should have come all the Prophets of the children of Israel. This is a blessing that God has granted to this descent: to Moses from his father and mother, to Christ from his mother’s line; also to Muhammad and the the Báb, and to all the Prophets and the Holy Manifestations of Israel. The Blessed Beauty 1 is also a lineal descendant of Abraham, for Abraham had other sons besides Ishmael and Isaac who in those days migrated to the lands of Persia and Afghanistan, and the Blessed Beauty is one of their descendants."

(The blue high lights are because of the search parameters, sorry, didn't know how to fix it.)

And just for clarification; I wasn't asking anyone to change it back or anything, I was surprised, that's all. After all, I am coming from a Baha'i point of view. I know that not everyone is.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back