Who is the beast in revealation?

Azure24

Reaction score
The word "beast(s)" is found 356 times in the King James Bible—59 times in Revelation alone. Most of these beasts are literal four-footed animals, albeit, all 59 of the beasts in Revelation are symbols for something other than four-footed animals. The four beasts made reference to 7 times in the singular from Rev. 4:6 to 6:7 should be translated "living creatures" and not "beasts." And all references to "beasts" in the plural (15 times) from Rev. 4:6 to Rev. 19:4 should be also translated "living creatures," with the exception of Rev. 6:8 and 18:13 where "beast" is correct.​

"And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a​
[wild] beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy [Gk: 'a blasphemous name'].
And the wild beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion, and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat
[throne], and great authority.
And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded
[as if it had been wounded] to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the wild beast. And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the wild beast: and they worshipped the wild beast saying, Who is like unto the wild beast? Who is able to make war with him?
And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power
[authority] was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, and His tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power
[authority] was given him over all kindreds [tribes], and tongues, and nations.
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
If any man have an ear, let him hear."
(Rev. 13:1-9).

There’s more: <B>​
"And I beheld ANOTHER wild beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spoke as a dragon.
And he exercises all the power </B>[authority] of the first wild beast before him, and causes the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the FIRST wild beast [the one from the sea] before him [in his presence], and causes the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first wild beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
And he does great wonders, so that he makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men.
And deceives them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the wild beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an IMAGE to the wild beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
And he had power to give life unto the image of the wild beast, that the image of the wild beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the IMAGE OF THE WILD BEAST should be killed.
And he causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a MARK in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the MARK, or the NAME of the wild beast, or the NUMBER OF HIS NAME.
Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding count the number of the wild beast: for it is THE NUMBER OF A MAN; and his number is SIX HUNDRED THREESCORE AND SIX
[666]" (Rev. 13:11-18).

It behooves us to know just who or what this wild beast is, and especially his image. It is a force and a power to be reckoned with by every human that has ever lived or ever will live.
On the one hand we have this:​
"Who is like the unto the wild beast? Who is able to make war with him?… And it was given unto him to MAKE WAR WITH THE SAINTS… And all that dwell upon the earth SHALL WORSHIP HIM, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb…" (Rev. 13:4, 7, & 8).​
On the other hand we have this:​
"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, if any man worship the wild beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the WRATH OF GOD, WHICH IS POURED OUT WITHOUT MIXTURE…" (Rev. 14:9-10).

Talk about finding oneself in between a rock and a hard place.

Apparently we can either be AT WAR with this wild beast, though we are warned: "…who is ABLE to make war with him"? Or, we can partake of "THE WRATH OF GOD poured out without mixture…" Either prospect is extremely frightening. But I would rather be on God’s side than on the side of the wild beast. However, how well will we fare in war against this wild beast, seeing that God warns us, "Who is ABLE TO MAKE WAR WITH HIM?"

"Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding count the NUMBER OF THE BEAST: for it is the NUMBER OF A MAN; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six [666]" (Rev. 13:18).

Is this indeed what the Greek manuscripts of Rev. 13:18 state? No, it is not.
The Greek word used when only man is meant (always excluding woman), is aner. But the Greek word translated "man" in Rev. 13:18 is not aner, but rather the word anthropos, which means "a human being, male or female." Strong’s Concordant.

Furthermore, it is not the number of "a" anything. It is just the number of human or of mankind! Even the Revised Standard Version translators saw this and therefore, states, "It’s number is six hundred sixty-six." The number of the wild beast is not the number of "a" man, but rather the number of "man" or "mankind."

Personally i belive the beast is all of us. The 'beast' within....​

Re: Who is the beast in revelation?

I don’t know…is 666 the Number of the Beast? Or is it 616?

Should one not have hexakosiohexekontahexaphobia, but rather hexakosiodekahexaphobia?

Just a thought.

s.

The word "beast(s)" is found 356 times in the King James Bible—59 times in Revelation alone. Most of these beasts are literal four-footed animals, albeit, all 59 of the beasts in Revelation are symbols for something other than four-footed animals. The four beasts made reference to 7 times in the singular from Rev. 4:6 to 6:7 should be translated "living creatures" and not "beasts." And all references to "beasts" in the plural (15 times) from Rev. 4:6 to Rev. 19:4 should be also translated "living creatures," with the exception of Rev. 6:8 and 18:13 where "beast" is correct.​
"And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a​
[wild] beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy [Gk: 'a blasphemous name'].
And the wild beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion, and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat
[throne], and great authority.
And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded
[as if it had been wounded] to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the wild beast. And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the wild beast: and they worshipped the wild beast saying, Who is like unto the wild beast? Who is able to make war with him?
And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power
[authority] was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, and His tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power
[authority] was given him over all kindreds [tribes], and tongues, and nations.
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
If any man have an ear, let him hear."
(Rev. 13:1-9).

There’s more: <B>​
"And I beheld ANOTHER wild beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spoke as a dragon.
And he exercises all the power </B>[authority] of the first wild beast before him, and causes the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the FIRST wild beast [the one from the sea] before him [in his presence], and causes the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first wild beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
And he does great wonders, so that he makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men.
And deceives them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the wild beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an IMAGE to the wild beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
And he had power to give life unto the image of the wild beast, that the image of the wild beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the IMAGE OF THE WILD BEAST should be killed.
And he causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a MARK in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the MARK, or the NAME of the wild beast, or the NUMBER OF HIS NAME.
Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding count the number of the wild beast: for it is THE NUMBER OF A MAN; and his number is SIX HUNDRED THREESCORE AND SIX
[666]" (Rev. 13:11-18).

It behooves us to know just who or what this wild beast is, and especially his image. It is a force and a power to be reckoned with by every human that has ever lived or ever will live.
On the one hand we have this:​
"Who is like the unto the wild beast? Who is able to make war with him?… And it was given unto him to MAKE WAR WITH THE SAINTS… And all that dwell upon the earth SHALL WORSHIP HIM, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb…" (Rev. 13:4, 7, & 8).​
On the other hand we have this:​
"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, if any man worship the wild beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the WRATH OF GOD, WHICH IS POURED OUT WITHOUT MIXTURE…" (Rev. 14:9-10).

Talk about finding oneself in between a rock and a hard place.

Apparently we can either be AT WAR with this wild beast, though we are warned: "…who is ABLE to make war with him"? Or, we can partake of "THE WRATH OF GOD poured out without mixture…" Either prospect is extremely frightening. But I would rather be on God’s side than on the side of the wild beast. However, how well will we fare in war against this wild beast, seeing that God warns us, "Who is ABLE TO MAKE WAR WITH HIM?"

"Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding count the NUMBER OF THE BEAST: for it is the NUMBER OF A MAN; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six [666]" (Rev. 13:18).

Is this indeed what the Greek manuscripts of Rev. 13:18 state? No, it is not.
The Greek word used when only man is meant (always excluding woman), is aner. But the Greek word translated "man" in Rev. 13:18 is not aner, but rather the word anthropos, which means "a human being, male or female." Strong’s Concordant.
Furthermore, it is not the number of "a" anything. It is just the number of human or of mankind! Even the Revised Standard Version translators saw this and therefore, states, "It’s number is six hundred sixty-six." The number of the wild beast is not the number of "a" man, but rather the number of "man" or "mankind."

Personally i belive the beast is all of us. The 'beast' within....​
I love the book of revelation , and we are now living in thrilling times indeed, i agree that the book speaks about LIVING CREATURES , wild beast , and the image of the wild beast . And the number 666 is certainly making a point about the imperfection of manmade rulerships and goverments , 3 times to make a point how manmade goverments really do miss the mark of perfection.

but no worries , the goverment or kingdom that God has established in the heavens ,will put an end to all of the imperfect manmade goverments, and his kingdom will crush and put an end to them all .

and then his heavenly kingdom goverment will rule for ever.

Daniel 2;44 is what it is all about.

And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite; Daniel 2;44

I love the book of revelation , and we are now living in thrilling times indeed,

That has to be.. (not that I am wanting to judge) a sinister comment.... Thrilling times? Your book of revelation speaks of death, destruction and vengance..... That is thrilling? Oh hooray another Earthquake! Let's rejoice in their demise... Oh do let's.....

666 is a mans number because manmade goverments miss the mark of perfection .In the Scriptures, certain numbers have symbolic significance. The number seven, for example, is often used to symbolize that which is complete, or perfect, in God’s eyes. so 666 says it all really , it is missing the mark of perfection .

the Bible use beasts as symbols of human rulership

the meaning of 666 lies in its being “a man’s number,” or as The Amplified Bible puts it, “a human number.” This expression could not refer to an individual human, for Satan—not any man—has authority over the beast. (Luke 4:5, 6; 1 John 5:19; Revelation 13:2, 18) Rather, the beast’s having “a human number,” or mark, suggests that it is a human entity, not spirit or demon, and that it therefore manifests certain human traits. What might they be? The Bible answers, saying: “All [humans] have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) The beast’s having “a human number,” therefore, indicates that governments reflect the fallen human condition, the mark of sin and imperfection.

That has to be.. (not that I am wanting to judge) a sinister comment.... Thrilling times? Your book of revelation speaks of death, destruction and vengance..... That is thrilling? Oh hooray another Earthquake! Let's rejoice in their demise... Oh do let's.....

understanding that for the most part the book is highly symbolic means that it is not all doom and gloom, but it is enlightenment indeed .
because the out come is very goodnews indeed.

And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also, he says: “Write, because these words are faithful and true.” REVELATION 21;5-6 :)

With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”REVELATION 21;3-4:)

Yes, -but- every JW I know says (not that it is a suprise you all seem to have the same sayings...) 'Oh wowzerz end of times! how thrilling!' Yet if you were right that is an increase in pain and suffering... That's not right.... To be thrilled about such times.....

Yes, -but- every JW I know says (not that it is a suprise you all seem to have the same sayings...) 'Oh wowzerz end of times! how thrilling!' Yet if you were right that is an increase in pain and suffering... That's not right.... To be thrilled about such times.....

good to see that you have recognised we (JW)are all in unity of thought and purpose inline with the bible :)

And yes, because of our bible study we are really aware just where we are in the stream of time, and we are also aware that even though there are many critical things going on in this earth , 2 TIMOTHY 3;1-5 MATTHEW CHAPTER 24 the end of all the bad things are soon to be gone .:) and as matthew 24;13 says endurance is needed .
But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.

the signs are happening on a worldwide scale but the GOODNEWS Is being made known as well Matthew 24;14 and dont we need it ?:) manmade goverments certainly do miss the mark of perfection , but Gods kingdom will bring PEACE to the earth.

616 (six hundred sixteen in American English, six hundred and sixteen elsewhere) is believed by some to have been the original Number of the Beast in the Book of Revelation in the Christian Bible. Different early versions of the Book of Revelation gave different numbers, and 666 had been widely accepted as the original number. In 2005, however, a fragment of papyrus was revealed, containing the earliest known version of that part of the Book of Revelation discussing the Number of the Beast. It gave the number as 616, suggesting that this may have been the original.

616 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

s.

*woman in the midst of childbirth--thinking*
{Ah-ho, here comes another contraction...} *screams, then nods head when the nurse offers another shot of morphine* {one breath, two breaths, three breaths, three and a half breaths} *morphine wears off after three and a half breaths* {AAAAGHHHH!!!!!}

*labor coach standing by says, "You're doing good!"*

*woman in labor thinking*
{Like hell I am...}

Hmm...
Genesis 3:16
16 To the woman He said:​
“I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception;
In pain you shall bring forth children;
Your desire shall be for your husband,​
And he shall rule over you.”​
All this over the knowledge of good and evil...is the labor pain a good thing, or an evil thing? It certainly urges a woman to drop everything else she's doing and find a relatively safe place to give birth...

Hmm...
Is there a non-sexist language version of the Genesis story ? Why is the male version of G-d ALWAYS telling the female what shall happen ? And why is it ALWAYS a bad thing ?

Just asking.

flow....:rolleyes:

It seems to me that you think the End of Times is something bad? What makes it bad? Do you enjoy living in this type of world? Do you enjoy seeing loved ones passing away? Do you enjoy the common cold? Do you enjoy the threat of nuclear warfare? Do you enjoy trying to make ends meet?

Everyone will feel the effect! Matthew Chapter 24 verses 21 and 22 tell us that.

"
21 For then there will be great distress, unparalleled since the world began, and such as will never be again.

22 And if that time had not been shortened, no human being would have survived; but shortened that time shall be, for the sake of those who are chosen.
"

And this is what will follow:

29 'Immediately after the distress of those days the sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, the stars will fall from the sky and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

30 And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven; then, too, all the peoples of the earth will beat their breasts; and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet to gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 'Take the fig tree as a parable: as soon as its twigs grow supple and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.

33 So with you when you see all these things: know that he is near, right at the gates.

34 In truth I tell you, before this generation has passed away, all these things will have taken place.

35 Sky and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

36 But as for that day and hour, nobody knows it, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, no one but the Father alone.

37 'As it was in Noah's day, so will it be when the Son of man comes.

38 For in those days before the Flood people were eating, drinking, taking wives, taking husbands, right up to the day Noah went into the ark,

39 and they suspected nothing till the Flood came and swept them all away. This is what it will be like when the Son of man comes.

40 Then of two men in the fields, one is taken, one left;

41 of two women grinding at the mill, one is taken, one left.

42 'So stay awake, because you do not know the day when your master is coming.

43 You may be quite sure of this, that if the householder had known at what time of the night the burglar would come, he would have stayed awake and would not have allowed anyone to break through the wall of his house.

44 Therefore, you too must stand ready because the Son of man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

Hi, bible reader. It's interesting that you bring up Matthew 24. Here's the portion of Matthew 24 (verses 3-8,) I was referring to in my childbirth illustration above:
3 While He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached Him privately and said, "Tell us, when will these things happen? And what is the sign of Your coming and of the end of the age?" (C)
4 Then Jesus replied to them: "Watch out that no one deceives (D) you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Messiah,' and they will deceive many. (E) 6 You are going to hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, because these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines (F) [a] and earthquakes in various places. (G) 8 All these events are the beginning of birth pains. (H)​

*woman in the midst of childbirth--thinking*
{Ah-ho, here comes another contraction...} *screams, then nods head when the nurse offers another shot of morphine* {one breath, two breaths, three breaths, three and a half breaths} *morphine wears off after three and a half breaths* {AAAAGHHHH!!!!!}

*labor coach standing by says, "You're doing good!"*

*woman in labor thinking*
{Like hell I am...}

Hmm...
All this over the knowledge of good and evil...is the labor pain a good thing, or an evil thing? It certainly urges a woman to drop everything else she's doing and find a relatively safe place to give birth...

now talking about child birth ,:)the woman in the book of revelation has already given birth to a male child ,and that child was caught away to God and it has his protection,... and guess what .... she gave birth to that male child in 1914 and it was GODS KINGDOM :)

And a great sign was seen in heaven, a woman arrayed with the sun, and the moon was beneath her feet, and on her head was a crown of twelve stars, and she was pregnant. And she cries out in her pains and in her agony to give birth.

And another sign was seen in heaven, and, look! a great fiery-colored dragon, with seven heads and ten horns and upon its heads seven diadems; and its tail drags a third of the stars of heaven, and it hurled them down to the earth. And the dragon kept standing before the woman who was about to give birth, that, when she did give birth, it might devour her child.

And she gave birth to a son, a male, who is to shepherd all the nations with an iron rod. And her child was caught away to God and to his throne.

revelation 12 ;1-5 thrilling times indeed

Hi, bible reader. It's interesting that you bring up Matthew 24. Here's the portion of Matthew 24 (verses 3-8,) I was referring to in my childbirth illustration above:
3 While He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached Him privately and said, "Tell us, when will these things happen? And what is the sign of Your coming and of the end of the age?" (C)
4 Then Jesus replied to them: "Watch out that no one deceives (D) you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Messiah,' and they will deceive many. (E) 6 You are going to hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, because these things must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines (F) [a] and earthquakes in various places. (G) 8 All these events are the beginning of birth pains. (H)​
yes they certainly were , Jesus said in verse 7 NATION WILL RISE AGAINST NATION AND KINGDOM AGAINST KINGDOM there have always been wars on the earth , but it was only in 1914 that whole nations were involved THE FIRST WORLD WAR yes a sign of the times indeed .

37 'As it was in Noah's day, so will it be when the Son of man comes.

For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. matthew 24;37

in noahs day , the people did not believe noah when he said that there was going to be a flood, they thought it was a joke . people went about their day to day lives, it is the same to day ,people do not believe that the PRESENCE of the son of man started in 1914, and they ridicule those who are making it known, but the signs of the times are here .

Christ’s Presence (Parousia)

Mt 24:3—Gr., τὸ σημεῖον τῆς σῆς παρουσίας

1864 “the SIGN of THY presence” The Emphatic Diaglott

1897 “the sign of thy presence” The Emphasised Bible,

1903 “the signal of Your presence” The Holy Bible in Modern English

1950 “the sign of your presence” NWT

thrilling times indeed for those who see the signs of the times .

but endurance is needed matthew 24;13

Back