Impeach CheneyBush

How much will we be spending to pay for the fiasco that is the Iraq War?

Huffington Post said:
In the book The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict, Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz, along with co-author Linda Bilmes, argue that, even using "conservative assumptions," the Iraq war will cost at least $3,000,000,000,000, and likely as much as $5,000,000,000,000.

Arianna Huffington: The $3,000,000,000,000 War is a Domestic Issue - Politics on The Huffington Post

Namaste all, are we *sure* that the united states is anti muslim? seems that the actions of the united states are too varied to be narrowly understood in such terms given the recent events in the Balkans. not into the online petitions, Pathless, so i shall not be signing. if i don't like an elected official i don't vote for them when they run and i have confidence that my representatives represent my basic views. of course they can't represent my total views.. only i could do that but there it is. metta, ~v

Namaste all, are we *sure* that the united states is anti muslim? seems that the actions of the united states are too varied to be narrowly understood in such terms given the recent events in the Balkans.

This thread is not about the U.S. being "anti muslim." What I have stated in this thread is that the Iraq War and continuing occupation is an illegal war and occupation, an immoral war and occupation, and should be opposed on those grounds.

As for the Balkans, what recent events are you referring to? The secession of Kosovo from Serbia? This is another instance of heavy spin in the U.S. media. Look into it.

Jeremy Scahill said:
So the humanitarian bombs rained down on Serbia. Among the missions: the bombing of the studios of Radio Television Serbia where an airstrike killed 16 media workers; the cluster bombing of a Nis marketplace, shredding human beings into meat; the deliberate targeting of a civilian passenger train; the use of depleted uranium munitions; and the targeting of petrochemical plants, causing toxic chemical waste to pour into the Danube River. Also, the bombing of Albanian refugees, ostensibly the people being protected by the U.S.

Similar to Bush's allegations about Iraqi WMDs in the lead up to the US invasion, in 1999 Clinton administration officials also delivered stunning allegations about the level of brutality present in Kosovo as part of the propaganda campaign. "We've now seen about 100,000 military-aged men missing ....They may have been murdered," Cohen said five weeks into the bombing. He said that up to 4,600 Kosovo men had been executed, adding, "I suspect it's far higher than that." Those numbers were flat out false. Eventually the estimates were scaled back dramatically, as Justin Raimondo pointed out recently in his column on Antiwar.com, from 100,000 to 50,000 to 10,000 and "at that point the War Party stopped talking numbers altogether and just celebrated the glorious victory of 'humanitarian intervention.'" As it turned out "there was no 'genocide' -- the International Tribunal itself reported that just over 2,000 bodies were recovered from postwar Kosovo, including Serbs, Roma, and Kosovars, all victims of the vicious civil war in which we intervened on the side of the latter. The whole fantastic story of another 'holocaust' in the middle of Europe was a fraud," according to Raimondo.

Full article: AlterNet: The Real Story Behind Kosovo's Independence

Vajradara said:
not into the online petitions, Pathless, so i shall not be signing. if i don't like an elected official i don't vote for them when they run and i have confidence that my representatives represent my basic views. of course they can't represent my total views.. only i could do that but there it is. metta, ~v

That is your prerogative, certainly. Personally, I don't think voting is enough, and I don't at all feel that my represntatives represent my basic views. So we differ in that respect, and I feel inclined to take civic engagement beyond the realm of voting and into redresses of grievances like petitions, micro personal political actions, and larger scale direct actions.

Namaste Pathless,

thank you for the post.

This thread is not about the U.S. being "anti muslim." What I have stated in this thread is that the Iraq War and continuing occupation is an illegal war and occupation, an immoral war and occupation, and should be opposed on those grounds.

hence i did not direct my comment to you specifically it was, however, mentioned in this thread that the United States is anti Islam and Muslim and hence my query.

As for the Balkans, what recent events are you referring to? The secession of Kosovo from Serbia? This is another instance of heavy spin in the U.S. media. Look into it.

what gives you the impression that i've not looked into it? my looking into it, however, has very little to do with what is happening in Kosovo as near as i can tell. your article writers' source for his claims of no genocide are here: WSJ.com - Page One Feature the article goes on to state that there are, at the time of printing, 1999, still 300 grave sites to check so it would seem a bit premature to come to such a conclusion. i am wondering what they found at the other grave sites, perhaps nothing at all. i'll have to continue researching to see if there is something more recent on this.

more tellingly, perhaps, it seems that the numbers of victims which were reported were done so by international news media rather than by the United States alone, so i would suggest that if the reporters had not been so eager to earn another Pulitzer Prize for reporting atrocities then there may have been a more balanced media representation.

of course reporters aggrandizing events is nothing unique to the United States media nor any media that i'm aware of, ratings don't ya know.

That is your prerogative, certainly. Personally, I don't think voting is enough, and I don't at all feel that my represntatives represent my basic views.

choose other representatives and perhaps they may. they are, of course, individual beings have have many competing influences.

metta,

~v

Last edited:
Ah, I see now, Vajradhara. You were referring to this post by flow:

Ad Nauseum indeed. I tend to see a cyclical pattern to some world events.

Goebbels was Hitler's minister of propaganda and beginning in the 1930's he devised a scapegoat propaganda campaign against the Jews which ended with all too predictable results.

Now, seventy years later I see a great parallel in what has been done in the last two decades with regard to Muslims. It has intensified the past eight years with predictable results. I'm not saying that any one person is responsible for the "punish the Muslims because they're different" campaign. But this has certainly gone on with events in the Balkans, Kuwait, and Iraq, and still may in Iran. In our times it is the interaction between the U.S.'s political leadership and the corporate media which has facilitated the carnage.

BTW, seventy years before Goebbels and Hitler we had a minor uprising known as The U.S. Civil War.

flow....:(

Not to be too much of a stickler, but it should be noted that "anti Muslim" and "anti Islam" were used by you to describe flow's critique, although he did not actually use those terms himself. ;) But I see your point now.

Vajradhara said:
what gives you the impression that i've not looked into it?

I'm not sure, as you didn't provide a lot of information to begin with about "recent events in the Balkans." I was trying to clarify what you were talking about and, yes, assuming that you had heard the triumphant reports from U.S. media outlets that glorified the independence of Kosovo and its subsequent celebrated changeover to Kosova.

Further elucidation on this mind-boggling estimate:

AlterNet: War on Iraq: Cost of Iraq War Now Beyond Human Comprehension

William Hartung said:
If we consider the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan together -- which we might as well do, since we and our children and grandchildren will be paying for them together into the distant future -- a conservative single-week estimate comes to $3.5 billion. Remember, that's per week!

By contrast, the whole international community spends less than $400 million per year on the International Atomic Energy Agency, the primary institution for monitoring and preventing the spread of nuclear weapons; that's less than one day's worth of war costs. The U.S. government spends just $1 billion per year securing and destroying loose nuclear weapons and bomb-making materials, or less than two days' worth of war costs; and Washington spends a total of just $7 billion per year on combating global warming, or a whopping two weeks' worth of war costs.

In fact, only 10% of it, or under $350 million per week, goes to pay and benefits for uniformed military personnel. That's less than a quarter of the weekly $1.4 billion that goes to war contractors to pay for everything from bullets to bombers. As a slogan, insisting that we need to keep the current flood of military outlays flowing "for Boeing and Lockheed Martin" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Unfathomable stuff.

Further elucidation on this mind-boggling estimate:

AlterNet: War on Iraq: Cost of Iraq War Now Beyond Human Comprehension

Unfathomable stuff.
I was listening to the 3 trillion dollar war author. The most significant thing I heard was that 1993 was peak year for WWII spending. Yes that is right, with disability and veteran benefits and paying debt, it was 1993 that WWII cost the most...been downhill ever since.

Oh and forget Boeing and Lockheed Martin, we just contracted overseas for our next fleet of aircraft.

Namaste Pathless,

thank you for the post.

Pathless said:
I'm not sure, as you didn't provide a lot of information to begin with about "recent events in the Balkans." I was trying to clarify what you were talking about and, yes, assuming that you had heard the triumphant reports from U.S. media outlets that glorified the independence of Kosovo and its subsequent celebrated changeover to Kosova.

i considered that the "recent events" part was narrow enough to be indicative of the ongoing process of independence happening in Kosovo.

are you suggesting that the only media in the entire world which have carried this story are based in the United States?!

metta,

~v

are you suggesting that the only media in the entire world which have carried this story are based in the United States?!

metta,

~v

No, and I think you know that's not what I was "suggesting." I was operating on the assumption that we are both United States citizens and are especially vulnerable to the overwhelming corporate media in this country, which is often the first source of news. I apologize for apparently insulting your integrity by my assumptions, but you should realize that you didn't give me much to go on. And so I made assumptions. My bad.

Yay Vermont!

Amy Goodman said:
In Brattleboro, the townspeople decided to arrest President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, should they visit. (This may be a moot point, as Vermont is the one state out of 50 that George W. Bush has not visited while president.) The question before the people of Brattleboro read: "Shall the Selectboard instruct the Town Attorney to draft indictments against President Bush and Vice President Cheney for crimes against our Constitution, and publish said indictments for consideration by other authorities, and shall it be the law of the town of Brattleboro that the Brattleboro Police, pursuant to the above-mentioned indictments, arrest and detain George Bush and Richard Cheney in Brattleboro if they are not duly impeached, and prosecute or extradite them to other authorities that may reasonably contend to prosecute them?"

The question passed, after a spirited discussion, by a vote of 2,012 for, 1,795 against.

AlterNet: As Goes Vermont, So Goes the Nation?

Namaste Pathless,

thank you for the post.

No, and I think you know that's not what I was "suggesting." I was operating on the assumption that we are both United States citizens and are especially vulnerable to the overwhelming corporate media in this country, which is often the first source of news. I apologize for apparently insulting your integrity by my assumptions, but you should realize that you didn't give me much to go on. And so I made assumptions. My bad.

well... i am not able to discern your intentions just read your words, as it were, and thus far in this discussion it seems that your focus is solely upon the United States media and the poor job they have done in using this story to boost their ratings.

i try to consume a variety of news sources so that i can, to the extent which i'm able, come to a balanced view of any particular subject.

it's true, i'm afraid, i tend to be sparse in many of my posts and that does create some communication issues.. but no, you didn't offend me at all :) i was just surprised that you seemed to have ignored the rest of the world media in their, equal, zeal.

metta,

~v

Full article: AlterNet: The Real Story Behind Kosovo's Independence

That is your prerogative, certainly. Personally, I don't think voting is enough, and I don't at all feel that my represntatives represent my basic views. So we differ in that respect, and I feel inclined to take civic engagement beyond the realm of voting and into redresses of grievances like petitions, micro personal political actions, and larger scale direct actions.

Pathless, here is another look at Kosovo, don't know if you have spotted this as yet but it seems to go together with the alternet article.

Kosovo: The US and the EU support a Political Process linked to Organized Crime

Latest from Wexler:

Wexler for Congress

Robert Wexler said:
Two weeks ago, the House took a bold step demanding accountability for the Bush/Cheney Administration by holding former White House Council Harriet Miers and White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten in Contempt of Congress for blatantly ignoring congressional subpoenas for over 8 months.

Though it was not a surprise, Attorney General Michael Mukasey, wrote a letter to the House of Representatives stating that he refuses to call a Grand Jury to enforce those contempt citations.

The Attorney General's letter, effectively claiming that members of the executive branch are immune from congressional subpoenas, calls for quick action.

Click HERE to watch my latest video discussing Mukasey's outrageous response.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Judiciary Chairman Conyers have smartly decided to pursue a civil lawsuit to force Bolton and Miers to appear before Congress. We should pursue a lawsuit – but I think we can do even more.

While a court may order – months from now –that Miers and Bolten must appear before Congress, by then George Bush and Dick Cheney will have largely accomplished their goal of running out the clock on the investigation into this Administration's politicization of the Justice Department. Even a successful outcome in federal court might only mandate that they appear, at which time the witnesses are likely simply to continue their obfuscation by claiming executive privilege of the 5th Amendment in person.

The House of Representatives must re-establish its legitimate rights as a co-equal branch of government. Congress cannot allow its power to be summarily ignored and justice delayed.

The House was correct to hold these renegade White House officials in contempt, and much credit should be given to Speaker Pelosi and Chairman Conyers for pushing for that outcome. Now, we must go further: The House must immediately consider taking the following actions:

- Initiating impeachment hearings that would likely break through the reckless claims of executive privilege made by the Bush Administration.

- Approve a resolution that calls for an inherent contempt citation which would give the House Sergeant at Arms the power to bring Miers and Bolton before Congress.

As you may know, 17 of my colleagues, including four of my fellow members of the Judiciary Committee have joined my call for impeachment hearings.

This is not an issue between Democrats and Republicans. As members of Congress, we have an absolute duty to enforce the checks and balances prescribed by our Constitution.

We have ceded too much for too long, enabling George W. Bush to assume a unitary imperial Presidency. It is long past time to secure accountability for those who have, by all appearances, committed significant breaches of our laws and trust.

Mukasey's claims are simply the latest in a long line of outlandish legal arguments ranging from the idea that we can selectively cherry-pick from torture laws to the concept that the Vice President is no longer part of the Executive Branch (except, of course, when he needs to claim Executive Privilege).

Over the past months, I have received tens of thousands of emails and letters from you expressing your great support for my efforts. Your encouragement and activism on these causes are much appreciated. I continue to work hard on your behalf and hope you feel these updates are valuable.

With kind regards,

Congressman Robert Wexler
www.WexlerForCongress.com

Back