social anxiety disorder

Dah-veeth

Abeja Maya
Reaction score
I've had it as long as I can remember. I don't know what it's like to be without it. (and people without it don't know what it's like to have it.)

I wonder what the point of it is... does it help in my particular spiritual growth? Does it help me in some way that I can't imagine? Is it inherited from my ancestors? Is it from that shark that almost ate my great great grandpa? ;) hehe.. um... no, I don't think an isolated event in someone else's life would cause it... maybe I have it so that someone else can learn from it, not just me. Everyone we meet can teach us something, n'est pas?

I wonder what the point of it is... does it help in my particular spiritual growth? Does it help me in some way that I can't imagine?
Depending on how you approach this, it could be a hinderance or a benefit to your spiritual growth. I could attend school for weeks without uttering a word to any of my peers. Some of my past highschool peers thought I was weird or I was looked at as if it was heretical in some way to be like that; some thought I should open up because they said that we have much in common. This was a hinderance due to the fact that I, like the dandy, cared too much about what people thought of me. It can be a benefit when talking to people in person because I can control what I am going to say, so idle talking is not a problem for me. This would be a strong point. For example, if I am on a job, or at school, hearing friends engaging in gossip or vulgar language, it is just something I am not interested in discussing or listening to. I would be interested in hearing more about your experience. I am a little uncomfortable discussing my private life online, unless it is with a friend, or friends, I know personally because it is a rahter touchy subject for me :)o).

Depending on how you approach this, it could be a hinderance or a benefit to your spiritual growth. I could attend school for weeks without uttering a word to any of my peers. Some of my past highschool peers thought I was weird or I was looked at as if it was heretical in some way to be like that; some thought I should open up because they said that we have much in common. This was a hinderance due to the fact that I, like the dandy, cared too much about what people thought of me. It can be a benefit when talking to people in person because I can control what I am going to say, so idle talking is not a problem for me. This would be a strong point. For example, if I am on a job, or at school, hearing friends engaging in gossip or vulgar language, it is just something I am not interested in discussing or listening to. I would be interested in hearing more about your experience. I am a little uncomfortable discussing my private life online, unless it is with a friend, or friends, I know personally because it is a rahter touchy subject for me :)o).

This is a bit public to go into much detail, I agree, and I like your point about not being interested in gossip or vulgar language. On the surface, social anxiety disorder seems very much like a hindrance. It's an obstacle... or a cocoon...

"Certain fruits, indeed, attain their fullest development only after being severed from the tree." -Baha'u'llah

Maybe I won't be a butterfly 'til the next life. I would say more but I have to go right now.... maybe I'll talk more about it later.

This is a bit public to go into much detail, I agree, and I like your point about not being interested in gossip or vulgar language. On the surface, social anxiety disorder seems very much like a hindrance. It's an obstacle... or a cocoon...

"Certain fruits, indeed, attain their fullest development only after being severed from the tree." -Baha'u'llah

Maybe I won't be a butterfly 'til the next life. I would say more but I have to go right now.... maybe I'll talk more about it later.

I do not focus on the hinderance anymore, but on the benefits! There are so many. This is why I like Gandhi so much. We can talk about him openly without exposing our personal lives all over the internet. Basically Gandhi mentions this problem many times in his autobiography, and discussed the strengths of being extremely shy or fearful of speaking around people. I suggest reading it. For example it is well known that at one period of his life he did not speak for an entire day at least once each week. So whenever Gandhi wanted to speak, he would write notes to whoever wanted to conversate with him. This was at a time when he was leading India towards independence, I think. Now think on that! Think of how many wars have been fought over what someone may have unwittingly said! How much blood has been spilled over the carelessness of one persons tongue?! These things can last for centuries, but you do not have to sweat this since you have control over your speech. No wonder they called Gandhi the peacemaker! So focus on your strength because you are a warrior for peace! Let us boast (lol).

I've had it as long as I can remember. I don't know what it's like to be without it. .....maybe I have it so that someone else can learn from it, not just me. Everyone we meet can teach us something, n'est pas?
Maybe. Your comfort level is an issue, of course.

I believe there is a genetic component to most forms of chronic anxiety and panic disorders. But I also think meditation is VERY useful to soften the stimuli that activate anxious reactions. Guilt is a form of anxiety, so prayer works too.

Social anxiety is highly correlated with self-esteem deficits. The anxiety could potentially be reduced by improving self-esteem. Sorry to be glib.

A really strong friendship or a guru can help too. I would recommend a Hindu priest familiar with emotional diets. I'm not sure I totally agree with this, but some schools of Hindu thought aspire to No Emotion at all.

Avoiding caffeine would be an obvious one because it can affect your threshold.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but I can't help myself.... :eek:

But I also think meditation is VERY useful to soften the stimuli that activate anxious reactions

Perhaps a thoughtful form of meditation would be to write down our anxieties, which could be something like guilt or low self-esteem. Make a list of them and then bring to mind the source of the issue that is so troubling. Simply writing about it can help, or as you have already said, a strong friendship will also be helpful. Both are practically the same remedy. To me, it is really hard to keep all of my issues bottled up inside so it has to come out some way. It would be such an relief when I had found a trustworthy friend I could talk with. After understanding my problems, I had talked with my English teacher and it really helped alot.

Back