Repercussions after Death

Manji2012

Reaction score
It seems to me, as far as I can tell, that, in the Christian perspective of things, most Christians believe, all non-Christians will burn in Hell forever and ever and ever because, they did not believe in Jesus Christ. They did not accept the grace from God though Jesus.

So, basically if you are Jewish, a Christian might look at you and say, "Yeah, you are gonna go to hell if ya don't accept Jesus." Or, at least that's what their Bible says anyway.

But, you're Jewish. You don't care. As Far as you are concerned, there is no truth to what they say.

My question is, does your religion have anything to say, any negative repercussions for not following your religion.

So, what happens to Buddhists. A good Buddhist monk read a little bit on Judaism but decided it was not good for them and died, what happens to em? What happens to Muslims and Christians who believe what they believe?

What's the Jewish perspective or various perspectives on this question.

I am just curious what Judaism has to say on the matter.

There is no Jewish hell. There is a place akin to purgatory, a temporary place for transformation. We hold that the righteous of all nations have a place in the world to come.

Wow, I am already getting the impression that Judaism is a lot nicer than Christian beliefs.

It seems the good Buddhists will make it out in the end where as far as the Christians beliefs are concerned they are very hardcore since all non Christians gotta go to Hell.

In Buddhism everybody is fine too.

I don't want to hijack the current discussion, but in light of the OP's assumption of the Christian position in regards to people of other faiths, I feel I must address this issue.

While the mindset of most Christian is that those without a profession in Christ are doomed to hell, not every Christian believes this. Heck, there are Christians that believe that people in other Christian denominations are lost, just because of doctrine.

While I believe Jesus Christ as Savior, I do not discount the possibility that God can save those in another faith. I believe God judges the heart and not the religious orientation one is exposed to. I cannot imagine God condemning someone who a) just happens to have been born into a non-Christian religion b) has been wrong by people in the Christian religion, and therefore turned away on the basis of being wronged or c) never heard of Jesus Christ.

The whole salvation issue revolves around the relationship we have with God and by extension, the relationship we have with our fellow man. I believe that frankly if someone practicing their religion in earnestly, seeking God or that Ideal or Ultimate with all their heart and it fulfills the Law of Love, then regardless of error in doctrine, God is able to forgive and impart His Spirit into that person.

In the manner of the Jews, there is NT scripture to attest to their salvation from a Christian perspective is virtually assured. In Romans 11, we read:

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father's sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance." - Romans 11:25-29 [emphasis mine]

I don't know how much clearer that could be. Salvation is much more than just punching the Jesus ticket.

A quote I'm fond of is worth repeating, "The best religion is the religion that brings you closest to God" - Howard Storm, from the book, "My Descent into Death"

Manji,

you realize that in some forms of buddhism there are many hells and that by not accepting the path toward nirvana you'll get stuck in samsara?

Back