Two identities

Azure24

Reaction score
I have been recently reading NDE's (near death experinces) and theories by Aristotle and I have come up with a theory of my own.

Maybe (and i don't know wether to believe this) we have two identites. One spiritual and one physical. The spiritual one (maybe the first?) is born into the spiritual existence. In this existence we our all totally devoid of ignorance (we could not be born otherwise), we our naturally one with God, there is naturally no suffering, we all naturally live compatible with each other, we naturally love others more and we all nataurally have true knowlegde (e.g. understanding God, the purpose of existence, the way we should live our lives etc). But because of the nature of this spiritual existence we desire to hate, we desire to be disconnected with God, we desire to be selfish, we desire to have no true knowledge and (controversially to a certain extent) we desire to suffer.

Now if you though this theory was stupid, I bet you thought the last part was even more...

But consider this...

We desire to be disconnected with God so we can acquire a connection and experince why we need this, we desire to be selfish so we can understand why it fundamental share, we disire to hate so we can experience why it is unnecesary, we desire to have no true knowledge so we can rediscover it and we desire to suffer so long as it is beneficial to understanding the long run.

I know what you're thinking, if we knew so much in the first place why on earth would we want to re-learn it?

But isn't there a difference between know something and understanding why it is this way?

Then there is the physcial identity, born into the physical existence. We our naturally ignorant (we could not be born otherwise), we our naturally disconnected with God, naturally there is suffering, we our nataurally selfish, we are naturally ask questions (e.g. the purspose of life, how we should live our lives etc). Because of the nature of this existence we desire to understand why we are this way, why we are here, why do we suffer and quite honestly IMO (deep down subconciously or superior) we desire are spiritual identities, basically because if we are that way the world would be so much better...

1 Corinthians 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

This passage is interesting...

IMO our spiritual identity thinks completely different to the physcial one. I think spiritually we choose to become physcial, be born into a world like this and unlearn everything that we once knew. To come from somewhere where everything was complete, the way it is supposed to be and easy into somewhere where it is the opposite would seem like something very foolish, however I think only a inferior being would think this way. Our superior identity knows the very reason why we're here...

Ok i don't know about choosing to be born into this world but I believe we have the two identities...

Last edited:
Well to me there's the idea that since God is the source, when we do eventually meet God, it would not be for the first time because we came from the source (God) in the first place. So I get the impression when we do evetually 'return' there would a tremendous sense of familiarity, you know like returning to place you haven't been to in a long, long time.

Job 32:8
But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.

Again, read this passage...

...As if when your spirit leaves your body you become a different person to the person you are now, one that has complete understanding.

Referring to the first post, here are some passages from the Bible...

1 Corinthians 15:44
"..it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
if there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body."

1 Corinthians 2:11
"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God."

Romans 8:5
"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."

Romans 8:6
"The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;"

...and referring to the last post.

Ecclesiastes 12
"Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, "I find no pleasure in them"-

this must not only be restricted to the Bible of course...

Course there is that dicotomy of the Flesh verses the Spirit:

"For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would." - Galatians 5:17

So really, under your supposition, there is a struggle to get "into" the spirit. It is an incredibly hard thing to maintain while in this physical realm. Sometimes you are "in the zone", sometimes you fall back. I noticed that during times when I'm operating in the spirit, there is greater clarity in what's going on around me. I'm more open to people and there is a sense of love, joy, and peace that accompanies it. Whereas when I've been caught up in some sinful or fleshly tendencies, there is an invertedness that causes me to focus on myself. My attitude changes, more quick tempered, excetera. Kinda what you are saying about being two people. I wish I could make my better self emerge more.

Back