Leviticus

Manji2012

Reaction score
I glanced at the book and it seems to have a lot of silly and superstitious ideas that, I know it was not given from God onto human being. A lot of what is in there is not only useless to are modern times but, was also useless during the time it was given.

My question is, where does Jews and Judaism stand on the book of Leviticus and where do Christians stand on it? What's their interpretation of this book and is this proof that the Bible is definitely not the inerrant infallible without error word of God because the Bible is full of error?

Careful where you tread, friend. Would you welcome such an equally cavalier dismissal of some of the teachings of Buddha?

Perhaps it would help your cause if you narrowed your focus a little and asked specific points about specific passages. It is hardly conducive to respectful discussion, to lay a blanket dismissal and expect anything other than an angry response. ;)

The Laws in Leviticus aren't as important to Christians as they are to Jews.

The emphasis in Christianity is about having the Law written on the tablet of your heart, rather than just engraved in tablets of stone. (The terms 'heart of stone' and 'stiff-necked' comes to mind when the law isn't also written in your heart.) It's not that Judaism doesn't also endorse having the Law 'written on your heart,' it's just that they started building on this idea a whole lot earlier than the Christians. Since Leviticus is part of the cultural heritage of the Jews, they can explain the finer points of the law that actually point to signs of a person actually having the law written in their heart.

The idea of having the "Law written on your heart" actually came from Judaism, which Christianity then ran with.

{Does this make sense?}

In Judaism Leviticus is considered a part of the Torah just like the other four books. It gets the same status that they do. Now, how the Torah as a whole is considered, that will vary from Jew to Jew and from denomination to denomination. In all cases (except for maybe jewish humanism), Torah maintains a centrality of importance. It is the beginning of the conversation that is Judaism. We read it in full every year. It contains the skeletal origins of much of Jewish practice.

If you want to discuss the nature of the book of leviticus, as was suggested, it would be better for you to provide particular bits of text that are of interest to you.

One thing that Judaism is keenly aware of is sacred time and sacred space. In order to create sacred time or sacred space, it's important to create time and space that is not-sacred. This distinguishing quality is important. 6 days of the week are the ordinary days of the week. One day of the week is Shabbos. There are certain foods that should be eaten, certain foods that shouldn't. There is a time for sexual bonding and connection. There is a time that is not for sexual bonding and connection.

As a monist you might question this. You might assert that it is establishing duality. The izhbitzer rebbe explained it, I don't remember what parsha of the mei hashiloach this is in, as going through a small tunnel in order to reach expansiveness. To get to that point, it is important to maintain a discipline. And when we find ourselves outside of some monistic view of reality, it can be helpful to embrace our normal way of seeing the world as a tool to propel us forward. You might say that it is upaya and that much of leviticus is upaya for a Jew.

-- Dauer

I humbly apologize. I am sorry. I did not do a good job at asking my question. I made it seem like an attack on Judaism or Christianity and I did not want it to be about that. We are all in this together and I have respect for all Jews and Christians.

I just don't like people who are very conservative and dogmatic about Christianity and regard the Bible as the only and final authority on God. It can clearly be proven that the Bible was not written by God and is full of scripture that was added or subtracted both on purpose and by accident so, not only is the Bible not written by God but, it is also tampered. There are also a lot of "odd" things written within it because there is no way God would tell us that.

I am not attacking Christianity or Judaism, I am attacking the none sense that leads humanity astray from the truth. The human consciousness is like a chess board where the "bad guys" who pullled off 9/11, are pulling all the string to keep the so called, "good guys" from being able to prevent love, peace, harmony, freedom, and joy being known in the hearts of humanity.

Those bad guys have really done their home work on us, and we have done no home work on them, it is time to grow up and find out what is really going on. We have been lied to and continue to be lied to about the four following subjects:

1.) Science
2.) History
3.) Religion
4.) Politics

Also, I am not a Buddhist and, if I was, it doesn't matter because Buddhisms is not about being a Buddhist anyways. I welcome criticism of Buddhism. There are things in Buddhism that does not make sense so, to point that out would only result with me agreeing with you. I approach spirituality the same way Bruce Lee approached the Martial Arts. If it is useful use it, if it is useless, throw it away. So, although I know there a lot of useful wisdom in Buddhism, I don't remain exclusive to Buddhism but rather I practice other practices from different traditions around the world like Shamanism and the consumption of sacred plants.

In order to overcome those who have embraced darkness, fear, and control, it is time from the human race to embrace true spirituality, wake up to what's really going on in the world, and disempower religious institutions that manipulate society and shackle them down with fear, guilt, helplessness, dogma, and creeds. This idea that we can not grow up, be responsible, and be good enough, are lies to prevent a person from watering the seeds of the Christ and Buddha within us. It is like a Bully who is too dumb to get a good grade in class that she/he bullies others to bring them down so that the bully can feel good about himself/herself. That's is what religious dogma of Jesus is the only way does to us.

There is a war on the human consciousness and it is time face the tyranny. When British came to India, when the Americans came to Vietnam, and when, and when there were Jim crow laws, Ghandi, Thich Naht Hanh, and Martin Luther King, did not turn their back on the issue, they faced it and transformed the world. This is the responsibility every Muslim, Jew, Christian, and Buddhist has. It is the responsibility to ourselves and each other. It is time to enter a new age.

I also care to ask the question because there is a slight fear of not believing in Jesus as the only way leads to a pit full of fire after death.

so give us an example of one of the things in leviticus that you might find silly or superstitious and we can all discuss it together. that would be an entirely productive exercise.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I glanced at the book and it seems to have a lot of silly and superstitious ideas that, I know it was not given from God onto human being.

It is to a degree the legal laws of god... It is of gods agreement/contract with Israel.... What part of it seems silly?

I think you will find jews and christians will tell you this is the word of god.

Manji,

I think, if you take the time to get to know the people on this forum, you'll find that there are aren't a whole lot of likely terrorists here. I don't personally think conservatism is all that unhealthy. Neo-conservatism, that's a different animal. I think it's important that conservatism exists to balance out liberalism.

I understand your difficulties with people blindly accepting dogma. I'm not fond of dogma either. At the same time, it's helpful to look at the type of dogma being held. Is it benign or malignant? From the way you've phrased your posts I am guessing that your issue is largely with particular groups of Christian evangelicals in the US. I realize I may be incorrect in that assessment. I would request from you, if you're upset at the behavior of a very particular group of people, not to whitewash and attack the whole abrahamic community. It would be healthier and you could probably learn more if you approach with the intent to understand rather than accuse. Maybe it would reassure you about that much larger group if you approached the situation in that manner.

-- Dauer

Group hug, everybody.

I have some very close connections with the Christian evangelicals, so I certainly do appreciate the issue and especially all of the thoughtful responses from the members here. Tact and etiquette are important in this situation, and I'm impressed by the professionalism. I'm amazed at how the turn of each word affects the outcome of the entire conversation.

Everyone, thank you for your kind replies and helping me with this issue that I have with people who read the Bible very literally and take a very narrow minded interpretation of scripture.

I agree that citing some scripture that I find to be "Silly" is very productive and I will do that now. I apologize for saying that they are "silly" because I understand the possibility that they are not silly. So, please help me understand scripture that at first glance, appears to be very silly to me.

Okay, lets begin:

Leviticus: [SIZE=-1]11:13-19

Basically this passage of scripture I think is regarding what is the appropriate diet, at least in regards to "birds". My question is, why would God tell any person not to eat these creatures? I mean, I just don't see the big deal. Of all the things God could tell it's creation, you want me to believe God told Moses to tell his people this?

My other question is, is this still applicable today? Is this applicable to persons who are not ethnically Semetic but follow this religion? And how about for those who do not follow this religion.

Also, not to mention, the Bible might have gotten bats as being birds wrong. Perhaps bats are not birds. Also not mention that after that passage it goes into which insects we can eat but describes them as having four legs. Now, is this not incorrect? Isn't so that the insects describe do not have four legs.
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Leviticus: 15:19-30, 33

I think this piece of scripture pretty much goes into the correct code of conduct of what to do when a female is on her period. I interpret as saying that when a lady has had her period, for me to simply physically place my hand on her shoulder would be unclean for me to do, and I am to wash myself and my cloths. It even goes on to say that if I my hand touches the bed that she laid upon during or after her period, I am to go ahead and wash my cloths and my body.

Okay, I find this a bit odd and silly because, even at the time this scripture was given, I think it was not applicable. It really does not matter if you touch the bed or the things a woman on her period has touched. Not then, in that culture, and not now. It is as if a person with the mind of 12 year old wrote this.

Also, of all the really helpful things God could say, he chose hygiene, that does not seem really all that impressive in terms of hygiene. My other question is, is this code of conduct at all applicable today?

Leviticus: 19:19

Okay, now this one looks like it is saying that I better not plant an area with various types of plants like mushrooms and cucumbers. Now, I think this can be unwise advice because, it actually might be helpful and beneficial to mother nature to plant mix seed because, those plants help the environment by putting nutrients back into the soil while another plant takes away from it.

Also, it goes into wearing clothing that has blended fabric. Okay.. Why? Is there any kind of punishment for not following these laws?

Leviticus
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]23:44-46

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Okay, why would God condone slavery of any kind ever? I do not believe God would do that. Plus, if memory serves me right, there are some parts in the Bible where God is against slavery.

Okay, I don't think God is making the mistake. It is just obvious that with these anomolies we can cleary see that the Bible is not the inerrant infallible word of God because it has so many contradictions, errors, and filled with the stuff that, just does not make sense.

Well, anyways, I am sure I have many misunderstanding and incorrect interpretations of those versus. Please correct me. Thank You.
[/SIZE]

excellent, manji2012, this is precisely the sort of approach i meant.

Leviticus: 11:13-19

Manji2012 said:
Basically this passage of scripture I think is regarding what is the appropriate diet, at least in regards to "birds". My question is, why would God tell any person not to eat these creatures? I mean, I just don't see the big deal. Of all the things God could tell it's creation, you want me to believe God told Moses to tell his people this?
actually, the kashrut (dietary) laws are generally considered to come under the heading of "because I Say so", as opposed to having a logical basis; however, many people have made attempts to rationalise them. the basic principle is that in any area of human activity, one should make judgements and distinguish between correct and incorrect, as the author of a well-known book points out:
The ability to distinguish between right and wrong, good and evil, pure and defiled, the sacred and the profane, is very important in Judaism. Imposing rules on what you can and cannot eat ingrains that kind of self control, requiring us to learn to control even our most basic, primal instincts.
in the case of the flying creatures concerned, you will further note that they are all in fact carrion feeders and some people draw a general rule from that. you may find this site instructive for further reading:

Judaism 101: Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws

My other question is, is this still applicable today?
all the rules in the Torah continue to be binding upon jewish people.

Is this applicable to persons who are not ethnically Semetic but follow this religion? And how about for those who do not follow this religion.
there's no such thing as being "ethnically semitic". "semitic" is a term from sociolinguistics and has no connection to race or ethnicity. you will note that jews come in every race, shape or colour and that people can convert to judaism (although this is not solicited) after which they are considered subject to the same laws. as for those who are not jewish, they are not obliged to follow any of the dietary laws, although there is a noahide (universal) law that one may not eat a part of a living animal, which as a general principle can be extended to cover all kinds of animal cruelty as well as the joke about the life-saving turkey with the wooden leg ("well, an animal as useful as that, you wouldn't want to eat it all at once").

Also, not to mention, the Bible might have gotten bats as being birds wrong...Also not mention that after that passage it goes into which insects we can eat but describes them as having four legs. Now, is this not incorrect? Isn't so that the insects describe do not have four legs.
the hebrew term used should be understood as "flying things", not birds. the Torah does not classify things biologically but using spiritual typologies. consequently, the "insects" you mention also include things like moles and weasels, which obviously aren't insects; this classification is one of "creeping things", which are defined as things which crawl, or are otherwise considered to be in the "ground zone".

Leviticus: 15:19-30, 33
I think this piece of scripture pretty much goes into the correct code of conduct of what to do when a female is on her period. I interpret as saying that when a lady has had her period, for me to simply physically place my hand on her shoulder would be unclean for me to do, and I am to wash myself and my cloths. It even goes on to say that if I my hand touches the bed that she laid upon during or after her period, I am to go ahead and wash my cloths and my body.
correct. one thing you need to basically understand in terms of what the Torah is concerned with is the concept generally translated as "clean" or "unclean", which is in fact a completely misleading mistranslation and has *nothing* to do with hygiene, nor does it attach a value-judgement to these states - in fact, the best comparison would be with "positive" and "negative" terminals in batteries or electrical engineering; obviously, there is nothing intrinsically "positive" or "negative" about this stuff. however, if the system is "connected up" incorrectly, the energy can't flow. the Torah concepts of "tuma" and "tahara", which are the words we are talking about, are best compared to two incompatible types of energy which flow through a conceptual system of pipes (like meridians) which relate to the different systems of the human body. non-permitted foods will "block" the "pipes". in the same way, these "pipes" are also time-coded, in other words, there are times when you can put certain energy through the pipes and times when they need downtime, reverse energy or rest. the laws of the "niddah" or menstruating woman should be understood in this context and should never, never be considered as the Torah telling us that a woman's natural cycle is somehow "dirty", G!D Forbid.

you can read up on the whole system here:

Judaism 101: Kosher Sex

but the basic idea is that the woman should be the one that controls a couple's sex life and whether she's "available" or not. it also provides a way within her monthly cycle for her to have a sense of personal space and to emphasise the aspects of the relationship that do not depend on physical intimacy.

It really does not matter if you touch the bed or the things a woman on her period has touched. Not then, in that culture, and not now.
that's not what the Torah is saying. the primary principle operating here is that of "putting a fence around the Law". in other words, these are secondary prohibitions which prevent the transgression of primary prohibitions. in other words, you are not meant to have it off when she is niddah, so if you're reminded of this by not being able to touch at all, sleep/sit on the same things or pass things to each other, this is a workable example of what is called mnemonic behaviour. there are other laws about how "tumah" energy is transmitted, which are similar in principle to the physical laws of "charging" an object positively or negatively, like when you rub a balloon. the Torah is telling us that these two types of energy are very powerful and must be respected and kept separate to prevent a spiritual short-circuit.

Also, of all the really helpful things God could say, he chose hygiene, that does not seem really all that impressive in terms of hygiene.
exactly, which is because it isn't about hygiene at all, as i've explained.

My other question is, is this code of conduct at all applicable today?
yes. it is observed by married traditional jews such as myself and mrs bb.

Leviticus: 19:19
Okay, now this one looks like it is saying that I better not plant an area with various types of plants like mushrooms and cucumbers. Now, I think this can be unwise advice because, it actually might be helpful and beneficial to mother nature to plant mix seed because, those plants help the environment by putting nutrients back into the soil while another plant takes away from it.
Also, it goes into wearing clothing that has blended fabric. Okay.. Why? Is there any kind of punishment for not following these laws?
again, these laws fall under the category of "because I Say so" laws, the principle of which being outlined above. it is worth pointing out that the seed-mixing issue does not preclude crop rotation, so there's no natural deficit implied, but there are certainly social effects in terms of the laws of tithing and gleanings for the poor; a mixed-crop field makes it more difficult to measure how much has been set aside. the mystical tradition provides many other reasons for these laws. i believe the punishment involved is spiritual excision, but i couldn't swear to it. certainly you couldn't tithe from such a field, which would involve transgressing another commandment and you also couldn't derive benefit from a linsey-woolsey garment.

Leviticus 23:44-46
Okay, why would God condone slavery of any kind ever? I do not believe God would do that. Plus, if memory serves me right, there are some parts in the Bible where God is against slavery.
aha! now you're thinking like our sages thought. firstly, at the time the Torah was given, the idea of a society without slavery (or animal sacrifice) would have been incomprehensible. what the Torah did, therefore, was to legislate so as to make slavery as it is understood by us today effectively impossible. for a start, a jewish slave has to be freed after seven years, or if they are injured, married to a free person, or, if they were a child, when they reached maturity or in many other cases (see exodus 21:2-6). a non-jewish slave must be freed in a "jubilee" year, which occurs once in every 49 years, but there are many other cases in which this would also occur. what the Torah is teaching us is how to act for *change* in human society and where to start, where the levers for behavioural improvement lie - as you can see, the way it was implemented meant that slavery died out 2000 years ago in jewish society and, even when it was still around, the slaves of jews were treated *very* differently from the slaves of romans, who were mere chattels and could be killed, raped, tortured and had no rights whatsoever, such as private property, as the slaves of jews had. moreover, the word used, "'EBheD", could mean either "slave" or "servant" (or "worshipper" or "worker") depending on context; this means that the context must be analysed before drawing even basic conclusions. the sages added so many extra safeguards and protectionary measures to these laws that it became said that "whoever acquires a slave for himself, has actually acquired a master" - because of the responsibilities that came with owning such a slave or servant. a moderately comprehensive introduction can be found here:

Judaism and slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think God is making the mistake. It is just obvious that with these anomalies we can cleary see that the Bible is not the inerrant infallible word of God because it has so many contradictions, errors, and filled with the stuff that, just does not make sense.
that depends on one's point of view. from a jewish point of view, the Torah is simply the lecture notes, not the lecture itself. if there are apparent contradictions, they are there to stimulate us to resolve them and learn G!D's Will by so doing.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Back