Episcopalians: No More Marriages

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Episcopalians: No More Marriages

Mass. Episcopalians to debate an end to conducting marriages - The Boston Globe

Episcopal Diocese may quit marriages

Same-sex debate drives Mass. plan

By Michael Paulson, Globe Staff | October 8, 2006

In a novel approach to the tensions that have accompanied the same-sex marriage debate in many religious denominations, the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts this month will consider getting out of the marriage business.

A group of local Episcopal priests, saying that the gay marriage debate has intensified their longtime concern about acting as agents of the state by officiating at marriages, is proposing that the Episcopal Church adopt a new approach. Any couples qualified to get married under state law could be married by a justice of the peace, and then, if they want a religious imprimatur for their marriage, they could come to the Episcopal Church seeking a blessing from a priest.

The approach, radical for the United States, is commonly practiced in Europe. The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts, which covers the eastern part of the state, has scheduled a vote in three weeks , at its 221st annual convention. A similar proposal was tabled at the Episcopal Church's general convention this summer; in Massachusetts, it is thought to have a better chance of passage because the clergy is more liberal.

Episcopal priests in Massachusetts have been particularly engaged in the issue of gay marriage, because the diocese here has been strongly supportive of gay rights, but the national church's regulations define marriage as a heterosexual institution. The local bishop, M. Thomas Shaw , a supporter of same-sex marriage, has decreed that local Episcopal priests cannot sign the marriage licenses of same-sex couples, but can bless those couples after they are legally married by clergy of another denomination or by a civil official.

"I feel this is a way to equalize an inequity in what Episcopal clergy can do for gay folks and straight folks," said the Rev. Margaret (Mally) E. Lloyd , rector of Christ Church in Plymouth. Lloyd is one of five Episcopal priests sponsoring the resolution.

"Right now, we can only offer blessings for gay folks who are married, and it's not fair," she said. ``The church moves slowly to make changes in canon law, so what can we do in the meantime? This is something good for the diocese to wrestle with."

The resolution would declare diocesan convention's desire that, starting in January 2008, Episcopal marriages be presided over by an agent of the state, and not Episcopal clergy, whose role would be limited to blessing a married couple. That is the system currently in place for gay and lesbian couples at Episcopal churches. In some cases, the civil and religious ceremonies both take place in the church; the couple can bring a justice of the peace, or a minister of another denomination, who signs the state marriage license and pronounces the couple married, and then the Episcopal priest blesses the couple. In other cases, the civil and religious ceremonies take place separately.

The resolutions will be discussed at regional meetings starting Friday, and then voted on Oct. 28, on the second day of a two-day convention that will draw an estimated 800 voting delegates, clergy and lay, to Trinity Church in Boston. If approved, it would be up to Shaw to decide what steps to take next. Shaw has taken no position on the resolution and declined to comment.
The resolution is one of several stemming from the gay marriage debate that will face Episcopal convention attendees. Emmanuel Church in Boston has asked the convention to ask the national church to formally allow Episcopal marriage rites to be used for same-sex couples in states where same-sex marriage is legal. And three priests have put forward a resolution under which the diocese would ask the Legislature to vote against a proposed ballot measure that would overturn same-sex marriage; the Legislature is scheduled to meet Nov. 9 to take up that ballot measure.

The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts is among the most supportive in the country of gay rights, but there remain a handful of clergy and congregations opposed to same-sex marriage. Several local conservative parishes are grappling with whether to attempt to formally dissociate themselves in some way from diocesan leadership, and some are so alienated that they are not planning to attend the diocesan convention, so it is not clear how strongly opposition will be voiced.

"I'm not excited about this at all," said the Rev. John (Jack) Potter , rector of St. John's Church in Franklin. Potter, who said he opposes same-sex marriage ``on Biblical grounds," said he believes Episcopalians would be unhappy with a two-step wedding process.

"My understanding of Christian marriage is that it is something that has, certainly with imperfections, been part of our life from the beginning, and now to suggest that we have to have a civil magistrate perform part of the wedding is totally inappropriate and contradictory to our tradition," said Potter, who said he has not decided whether to attend the convention.

"They cite that this is how it's done in Europe, but when I look at the secularization in Europe, and the obvious attempt to sideline the Christian faith there, I'm not too excited about that as an authority."

Since Massachusetts legalized same sex marriage in 2004, religious denominations have been struggling with whether to allow clergy to officiate at such nontraditional ceremonies. Some liberal denominations, such as the United Church of Christ, the Unitarian Universalist Association, and the Reform and Reconstructionist movements of Judaism, allow full clergy participation; more conservative denominations, such as the Roman Catholic Church, the Greek Orthodox church, and Orthodox Judaism, prohibit such participation. But many mainline Protestant denominations have been debating how to balance the desire of some clergy and parishioners to proceed with same-sex marriages with traditional teachings, and often clear church rulings, barring the sanctioning of such unions.

"This resolution is for us in the Episcopal Church, but I think it will have ramifications for our brethren in other denominations, by raising questions about our acting as agents of the state," said a sponsor of the resolution, the Rev. Robert (Skip) G. Windsor . Windsor said the resolution really has nothing to do with the same-sex marriage issue, but is about concerns over the separation of church and state.

Windsor and Lloyd both said that, under the current system, many couples seek to have church weddings because they like the setting . They said they hoped that if the church stopped officiating at marriages, couples that sought a religious ceremony in addition to the civil procedure would be doing so as a reflection of faith.

I tend to see this as a good thing. Marriage in early Christianity was not about a state-endorsed status for taxes, and I see the two matters- the spiritual marriage of two people and the state-legal marriage as separate anyway.

I was talking to a Quaker friend of mine and she was explaining that in Quaker Christianity, two people marry themselves in front of the community. That is, they recognize that the marriage has to do with a commitment, bound with God, and no person can truly officiate this except the people involved in that commitment. There is no mediator necessary to proclaim the couple married; they themselves do this.

Path,

I think this has to do with the larger issue, that of the Episcopalian church tearing itself apart over this issue. I wish they could find a workable compromise, but I do not think that is going to happen.

To say they are just not going to do weddings any more strikes me as bizarre.

Nick, how did this turn out then? The article is almost 2 years old and I can't find any recent news on the topic.

Nick, how did this turn out then? The article is almost 2 years old and I can't find any recent news on the topic.

California just had same-sex marriages go through, and the city of San Francisco is asking the Episcopalian ministry to help serve as deputy marriage commissioners to meet the incredible demand.
Episcopal dioceses vary on same-sex rite policies
As California clerks began issuing civil marriage licenses to same-sex couples in mid-June, Episcopal bishops in the state took a variety of stances on whether their dioceses would provide religious rites for newly married gays and lesbians.

In San Francisco, Bishop Marc Handley Andrus asked his flock to serve as deputy marriage commissioners to help handle the expected flood of marriage applications.

"There are over 4,000 civil same-sex marriages planned in a short period of time in the city of San Francisco alone, and the city is asking for help in meeting demand," Andrus wrote in a June 9 pastoral letter. "I intend to volunteer for this at my earliest opportunity. . . . By city requirement, clergy will not be allowed to wear collars when presiding at secular marriages."

...continued at link

California just had same-sex marriages go through, and the city of San Francisco is asking the Episcopalian ministry to help serve as deputy marriage commissioners to meet the incredible demand.
Episcopal dioceses vary on same-sex rite policies
As California clerks began issuing civil marriage licenses to same-sex couples in mid-June, Episcopal bishops in the state took a variety of stances on whether their dioceses would provide religious rites for newly married gays and lesbians.

In San Francisco, Bishop Marc Handley Andrus asked his flock to serve as deputy marriage commissioners to help handle the expected flood of marriage applications.

"There are over 4,000 civil same-sex marriages planned in a short period of time in the city of San Francisco alone, and the city is asking for help in meeting demand," Andrus wrote in a June 9 pastoral letter. "I intend to volunteer for this at my earliest opportunity. . . . By city requirement, clergy will not be allowed to wear collars when presiding at secular marriages."

The Episcopal Church is arguably involved in the most quarrelsome of the public battles in mainline denominations that struggle with gay-marriage issues. Like most other church bodies, it has no official rite for same-sex marriages. But some Episcopal bishops allow clergy to bless same-sex unions.

Bishop Jon Bruno of Los Angeles said his diocese in 2003 approved blessings of same-sex unions if pastors determined that such unions are "pastorally necessary." That policy now will be followed for gay and lesbian couples who have state marriage licenses.

"If it's a pastoral necessity, they [pastors] can go ahead," Bruno said in an interview, adding, "I would really, in all honesty, wish that we weren't in the marriage business, that we blessed unions and the state took care of the legality."

Following Bruno's allowance for pastoral leeway, the cofounders of the national gay activist organization Soulforce—Mel White and Gary Nixon—were the first same-gender couple to be married at All Saints Episcopal Church in Pasadena in a noontime wedding June 18. White and Nixon first met at the large-congregation church 27 years ago.

Zelda Kennedy, associate for pastoral care, said All Saints planned to have rites for at least two dozen more couples.

Bishop Barry Beisner of Sacramento told his clergy in May that "this change in civil law does not change our policy or practice in the church . . . there has been no authorization—from me or from my predecessors—for same-sex blessings in this diocese."

In San Diego, Bishop James Mathes said he supports the California Supreme Court's ruling but added, "I am mindful that our church has not yet made the decision to bless same-sex unions."

The Monterey-based Diocese of El Camino Real, after seeking guidance from clergy in Massachusetts, the only other state allowing same-sex marriages, decided that priests can bless same-sex unions on a case-by-case basis but cannot recognize them as marriages.
-Religion News Service

Thank you for the info SG. I was wondering specifically about how it turned out in Massachusettes. As far as I know the Episcopal Church in that diocese is still conducting marriages.

Path,

I think this has to do with the larger issue, that of the Episcopalian church tearing itself apart over this issue. I wish they could find a workable compromise, but I do not think that is going to happen.

To say they are just not going to do weddings any more strikes me as bizarre.

I understand the reasons the debate was happening, but I was saying that what is more interesting to me (as one of the interviewees was saying) is the issue of what marriage means and the separation of church and state.

I wish they could find a workable solution, too. My old congregation was in turmoil over this very issue, and people were split about 50/50 on it, both equally sure they were correct.

Back