Holy Days

Dawud

Byfluga
Reaction score
Two questions....

1.) What are some of your favorite holy days?

2.) What are some lesser known holy days?

_____

1.) My favorite day is Naw-Ruz, the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere. It's not only the Baha'i new year, but also the Zoroastrian new year, for some Zoroastrians. Some celebrate in the autumn. It's also celebrated by Iranians whether they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, or Baha'i. A common gift on that day, as I read in the National Geographic, is a goldfish. I also like the Birthdays of the Bab and Baha'u'llah, on October 20th and November 12th.

2.) I think my answer for number one covers number two also ;) But I'll try to think of something lesser known... (thinking...)

Got one. March 1st was the Roman new year once upon a time, which explains why September has the word Septem in it, for seven, instead of novem. Octo means eight, not decem... the first month was March.

I was looking through old threads and found this one from 2008. Seems like a worthy topic, but no one every responded. Better late than never I suppose.

Anyway, my favorite Holy Days in no particular order are: Palm Sunday, Christmas, Janmashtami, Diwali and Passover. I like to take Communion from time to time as well. Not sure if that counts as a Holy Day, though.

As for lesser known Holy days; how about this? On the last Wednesday of August every year in the town of Buñol in the Valencia region of Spain, 9,000 locals and 20,000 – 40,000 foreigners descend on the town to throw tomatoes at each other in honor of the Virgin Mary and St. Louis Bertrand.

I am not much on holy days...

I guess if I had to pick it would be the introspection that lent and counting the omer provide.

I like Christmas, Passover and Good Friday. Diwali got thrown into the mix as well due to the wife's biological dad. Don't really participate myself, but it's fun to watch.

I guess Abby ceremonies would fit the lesser known category. Seasonal cleansing rituals and such.

Last edited:
Well an interesting thread passed down from 2008 and from a Baha'i named Dawud! We're having two Baha'i Holy Days coming up on November 1st and 2nd... Interestingly when Dawud posted his favorite days he mentioned: "I also like the Birthdays of the Bab and Baha'u'llah, on October 20th and November 12th." A year or so ago these Holy Days were changed and they are now one following the other: The Birth of the Bab and the Birth of Baha'u'llah observed on November 1st and 2nd! We Baha'is commonly begin observing our Holy Days the night before as our day begins at sunset. So we are observing the Birth of the Bab on the evening of October 31st this year.. Holloween.

As Dawud mentioned above his favorite Holy Day is Naw-Ruz (March 20th-21st).. that has been my favorite as well... It ends the nineteen day Fast and so Naw-Ruz is particularly enjoyed usually during the day at a community dinner! Anyone can attend Baha'i Holy Days. Last March 21st we held a Naw-Ruz gathering and shared our food with homeless people in the park.

Back