Were Christians supposed to separate themselves?

Iacchus said:
I think what you need to understand here is that God comes in all shapes, forms and sizes... you might be in for a long wait if you're waiting for a literal interpretation to come about.

I'd rather wait than to be caught off-guard. If God comes in all shapes, forms and sizes why isn't that written in the scripture? Why are there instead teachings against idolatry? As spoken to Ezekiel, for example:

"Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces." (14:3)

Idols are false gods, and the heart is where our words come from. My conclusion then is that idols of the heart are false words-- interpretations-- of who God is. Interpreting God as coming in all forms, therefore, makes me a uncomfortable. I also don't believe that prophecies are fulfilled symbolically; I believe that prophecies contain symbolism, but their fulfillment in the past has always been literal. For example, when Jeremiah saw a vision of a pot of boiling water being tipped toward Jerusalem: I accept that the pot of water was a symbol, but the vision itself was fulfilled literally in that a physical catastrophe hit Jerusalem.

Iacchus said:
Even though you're willing to believe the words of some crackpot mystic who wrote the book of Revelation 2,000 years ago. But how do you know he wasn't just making it up?

The sheep know the sound of their shepherd's voice, and they run away from everyone else-- especially religious cults.

Marsh said:
Why, then, would God choose only the Jews to resurrect, and leave the Gentiles in the cold for all of eternity? That doesn't sound like someone who desires mercy over sacrifice.
Exchange the word "Jew" for "Christian" and you have a key Atheist objection. :)

Marsh said:
Actually, I find it kind of amazing that Jesus-- who never went to school and as such should have been for the most part illiterate-- knew about such a small prophecy in the writing of one of the minor prophets.
Actually, isn't there a passage in one of the Gospels where Jesus reads Isaiah aloud in a synagogue? Forget the reference - though it was Matthew 18, but I can't find it in there.

I said:
Exchange the word "Jew" for "Christian" and you have a key Atheist objection. :)

Actually, isn't there a passage in one of the Gospels where Jesus reads Isaiah aloud in a synagogue? Forget the reference - though it was Matthew 18, but I can't find it in there.

Exchange the word "Jews" for the word "nobody" and the word "Gentiles" for "all of us" and tell me what you think.

The passage you're looking for is from Luke chapter 4, and it refers to the sixty-first chapter of Isaiah...

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and to provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

"They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.

"Aliens will shepherd your flocks; foreigners will work your fields and vinyards. And you will be called priests of the LORD, you will be named ministers of our God. You will feed on the wealth of nations, and in their riches you will boast. Instead of their shame my people will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace they will rejoice in their inherieance; and so they will inherit a double portion in their land, and everlasting joy will be theirs.

For I, the LORD, love justice; I hate robbery and iniquity. In my faithfulness I will reward them and make an everlasting covenant with them. Their decendants will be known among the nations and their offspring among the peoples. All who see them will acknowledge that they are a people the LORD has blessed."

I said:
wYou only have to compare literal readings of the Old Testament in English, to the Jewish interpertations of the Hebrew, to see an accentuated difference. Sublety and nuance seem particularly to be lost.
hear, hear - and this is to say nothing of the impossibility of making sense of the Written Law in the Pentateuch without the Oral Law of the Talmud.

marsh - i realise this is the christian forum, (i never liked the idea of splitting them by religion - after all, this is comparative, ain't it?) but when you refer to jewish texts, treating them as mere precursors to christian texts and attempting to interpret them as such, it should not be surprising that i take issue with it if i think you're claiming that they say something that i don't think that they say. if we were convinced that the OT prophesied the coming of jesus as the messiah, we'd be christians. i think that christianity needs to be feasible in its own right, using the NT as its sacred texts, not try and co-opt judaism in support. you don't need us as either villains or ancestors to be credible.

marsh said:
As for your statement about Boaz, I think you should read that book again: without him, there's really not much of a story.
hmmm. i could say the same of ruth. there's a reason the book is named after her, not him. it's to do with prophecies about the lineage of the messiah.

But what is this Jewish nation that you speak of? What does God see nations as?
the jewish nation is the jewish people. the english words "nation" and "people" are used to translate two different words, "AM" and "GoY", which have similar, but not precisely equivalent, meanings, which i can look up for you if you like. when i use the phrase "jewish nation" in english, i don't mean a modern nation-state. i mean the entire community, the complete ethno-religious group if you like. when the Torah speaks of nations, it distinguishes between the jews and, say, the egyptians, not on the basis of a modern multicultural society, but on the basis of ethnic groups living in their own contiguous territories - "strangers" may live among them, but they are not part of the "nation". some "nations" referred to in the Torah, like the amalekites and the seven canaanite nations, can no longer be identified, so are effectively extinct. nowadays i think it would be safe to say that the only recognisable biblical "nation" still extant is probably ourselves. is this what you were asking?

in reference to the quote jeremiah 18, i understand how that may seem to you, but the potter does not throw the lump of clay away and take another lump instead. he keeps working on the same clay - and the clay, though altered, is still recognisable as a pot. the potter hasn't decided to make something else out of the clay instead, like a statue.

The Jews, like every nation, are a nation only insofar as God wills it that way, and the moment that he decides to destroy it, raise it up, or modify it, we can consider it done immediately.
right - and we have been modified and raised up many times in our history, but never destroyed. we have to trust that G!D Is going to stick to the terms of the covenantal relationship - which *hasn't* modified.

Therefore, from that point on if God at any time wishes to draw the Gentiles into his fold, everything that is written in scripture to instruct his chosen people retroactively applies to new believers.
that's completely specious logic. for one thing, it relies on a concept of a "fold"; the inside of it being 'good', the outside of it being 'bad', which is completely *not* what our relationship with G!D is. unfortunately once you have divided the world into the "inside" and the "outside" you either have to condemn the "outside" or go out and bring them in. neither of these are acceptable to us, which is why we don't proselytise. who are christians to decide that the nature of the relationship between G!D and humanity should be conducted according to a specific agreement? and on behalf of the entire planet? by this logic, somebody living a good life in the amazonian jungle needs you to spread the word and come and "save" him. we don't subscribe to that. you'd do far better to look at it from the islamic PoV, which is that G!D Sends prophets to each and every group and speaks to them in their own way at their own time.

I believe that Jesus came to draw all mankind together; to be a light to the world, and not just to the Jews. Therefore, by faith, I can logically deduce that the scripture applies to me as well.
it's not at all logical. you're taking an existing covenant and rewriting one side of it to apply to you. not only that, there's even a covenantal relationship already in place; the noachide laws. if you want to come in on the agreement, fair enough, but you can't redraft the terms of the agreement for the parties already in it, especially given that our end of the agreement was to observe the Law.

God created me in his image, and he said I was very good. Then I fell, and so did you, and so did the Gentiles and so did the Jews. We all fell equally.
you are assuming that we all agree on that. we don't accept the idea of original sin and the "fall". certainly, adam sinned by disobeying the Divine command - but that's really not the point. we don't have to make amends for his sin; he wasn't even a human being as we understand the nature of such. you cannot have both eden and free-will. the two things are mutually exclusive. we are not angels, but have the capacity to choose.

Why, then, would God choose only the Jews to resurrect, and leave the Gentiles in the cold for all of eternity? That doesn't sound like someone who desires mercy over sacrifice.
no, i dare say not. the answer is that this ISN'T WHAT IS GOING ON. the jews are to be redeemed from our current state of expulsion and downtroddenness by Moshiach, not admitted to some sort of spiritual VIP lounge while everyone else languishes behind the velvet rope. by our redemption the world is supposed to be improved for EVERYONE, not just us.

Actually, I find it kind of amazing that Jesus-- who never went to school and as such should have been for the most part illiterate
er, no he wouldn't have been at all. there's a thread on this somewhere. literacy was extremely good in 1st-century judea, if not everywhere else.

If God comes in all shapes, forms and sizes why isn't that written in the scripture? Why are there instead teachings against idolatry?
the teachings against idolatry are against idolatry, not against other ways of approaching the Divine. idols are things, worshipped in a variety of unpleasant ways and the forms of idolatry that are inveighed against in the OT no longer exist. have you met a molech worshipper recently? or someone who worships dagon, milcom or pe'or, G!D forbid? even the idiots that think they're worshipping baal and asherah nowadays aren't doing the sort of things that the prophets were trying to prevent us doing. the inclination to idolatry ceased with the destruction of the Temple.

and in reference to isaiah 61, it's still about the jews. in order to make it about everyone, you have to ignore the bit about it being specifically aimed at "those who mourn in zion" and which ancient ruins are meant. the captives spoken are the captives of the [babylonian or perhaps second] exile, which was what isaiah was talking about as far as we are concerned. and if it is, then you also need to note the bit about "in My faithfulness I will reward them and make an everlasting covenant with them". in fact, sorry, marsh; the more i look at this passage, the more specific to us it looks and the less universalist.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bananabrain said:
this is so typical, though! co-opting jewish texts to make them support non-jewish points of view despite the lack of support or evidence from within the text itself.
So who exactly would have accomplished this? It certainly wasn't me, I'm just reading what's been transcribed. Is it possible that it was written by Jews, while living in Palestine at the time of Jesus? Or, if not written down, could it have been passed along orally by the same?

gluadys said:
Same sort of guys who wrote scripture in the first place, and collected it and canonized it and interpreted it. Yes, it does make it official. And yes, it does mean taking their word for it. That is why the apostles call themselves "witnesses". They claimed to be chosen by God as witnesses to the resurrection and they invited other people to take their word for it.

Same as Moses went to the Israelite slaves in Egypt with a story about hearing God speaking from a burning bush and promising them liberation from slavery and inviting them to take his word for it. And Mohammad claimed to receive the Qur'an from the angel Gabriel and gathered disciples who took his word for it.

In essence that is what faith is: trusting in the word of witnesses on the basis of what you hear and on the basis of their character and good name. Trusting in the God they proclaim because you decide to take the word of those who claim to be God's witnesses.
I'm afraid you're living 3,500 years in the past here ...

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. ~ Jeremiah 31:32-34
No, it is not necessary to take anyone's word for it.

Marsh said:
I'd rather wait than to be caught off-guard. If God comes in all shapes, forms and sizes why isn't that written in the scripture? Why are there instead teachings against idolatry? As spoken to Ezekiel, for example:
Isn't this in fact what I was alluding to about Elijah above? That no one expected John the Baptist to be Elijah?

"Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces." (14:3)
Hey, even a little bird can tell you the truth. That doesn't mean you have to set up a graven image in honor of it does it?

Idols are false gods, and the heart is where our words come from. My conclusion then is that idols of the heart are false words-- interpretations-- of who God is. Interpreting God as coming in all forms, therefore, makes me a uncomfortable. I also don't believe that prophecies are fulfilled symbolically; I believe that prophecies contain symbolism, but their fulfillment in the past has always been literal. For example, when Jeremiah saw a vision of a pot of boiling water being tipped toward Jerusalem: I accept that the pot of water was a symbol, but the vision itself was fulfilled literally in that a physical catastrophe hit Jerusalem.
If in fact you bow down and worship anything which is material, then you've committed idolatry. Why? Because you're not worshipping God in the spirit.

The sheep know the sound of their shepherd's voice, and they run away from everyone else-- especially religious cults.
Does this apply to Christian cults as well? ... "Many will come in my name to lead many astray."

Idols of the heart

One also commits idolatry when one worships a concept of God that is not true. If I pray to God and thank him for being so wrathful and bent on revenge, and for desiring as I do to punish all of my enemies with eternal damnation, am I really praying to God? God, Lord, Saviour, Creator-- these are all just names. It is the being who they are meant to signify that is important. Yes, one can make an idol by taking a piece of metal and forming an image of a false God. One can also make an idol without wood or metal. Idols are simply false representations of God. If, in my heart and mind, I "create" God in the image that suits me I am just as idolatrous as one who makes a statue.

This is why I don't agree that God comes in all shapes and sizes and forms. In the end, God is a singular being with a singular personality, and though he can be many things to many people (friend, saviour, father, etc) he, and not I, is the one who chooses what he will be.

This is why I think it's so wrong to look to this Swedbourg guy as being the fulfillment of the second coming of my Lord Jesus Christ. I know my Lord's voice, and this guy's wasn't it. Religious cults are groups of people who take the truth and bend it. That's exactly what's happened here.

Marsh said:
One also commits idolatry when one worships a concept of God that is not true. If I pray to God and thank him for being so wrathful and bent on revenge, and for desiring as I do to punish all of my enemies with eternal damnation, am I really praying to God? God, Lord, Saviour, Creator-- these are all just names. It is the being who they are meant to signify that is important. Yes, one can make an idol by taking a piece of metal and forming an image of a false God. One can also make an idol without wood or metal. Idols are simply false representations of God. If, in my heart and mind, I "create" God in the image that suits me I am just as idolatrous as one who makes a statue.
What about those who become fixated on the Bible and worship the Bible as if it were God? Do you do this? If so, then I would suggest you've developed a fixation for words here. Indeed, isn't it possible when you take something in the literal sense, that you disavow the spirit which is behind the words? Don't the scriptures in fact warn us of such things when it says, "The letter killeth?"

This is why I don't agree that God comes in all shapes and sizes and forms. In the end, God is a singular being with a singular personality, and though he can be many things to many people (friend, saviour, father, etc) he, and not I, is the one who chooses what he will be.
Are you saying he has to speak directly to you in person or what?

This is why I think it's so wrong to look to this Swedbourg guy as being the fulfillment of the second coming of my Lord Jesus Christ. I know my Lord's voice, and this guy's wasn't it. Religious cults are groups of people who take the truth and bend it. That's exactly what's happened here.
Like you say, the sheep know the voice of the shepherd.

I have a couple of things to add here, since I was cut-off in the middle of editing the last post ...

Marsh said:
Are you saying he has to speak directly to you in person or what? Is there something wrong with acknowleging God's work in everything? Doesn't the idea of 1 + 1 = 2 testify to God as much as anything else? And what is truth anyway?

Like you say, the sheep know the voice of the shepherd.

By the way, if Jesus was who He was purported to be, then why didn't the Jews get it -- if, in fact He was supposed to be the very fulfillment of their prophecies? It sounds to me like the precedent had already been set. ;)

But, really, what did Swedenborg do that warranted his being claimed to be a Messiah? Did he title himself, or do his works title him so?

I actually know very little about Swedenborg - through references elsewhere I had him down as one of the secondary philosophers, rather than a primary spiritualist.

I said:
But, really, what did Swedenborg do that warranted his being claimed to be a Messiah? Did he title himself, or do his works title him so?
He doesn't really claim himself to be the Messiah so much as he claims his works represent the second coming. In fact if you give any credence to what he says, then he was a witness to the Book of Revelation being fulfilled in the spiritual world which, occurred in the year 1757. In fact he gives a verse for verse account to the Book of Revelation in his work, The Apocalypse Revealed, which is better than any rendition I've heard given.

We must also understand that the Book of Revelation was written by a mystic, therefore, who better to give an actual accounting of it than another mystic? Doesn't it make sense that it should be revealed in that way? ... If in fact what we're speaking of here is legitimate?

I actually know very little about Swedenborg - through references elsewhere I had him down as one of the secondary philosophers, rather than a primary spiritualist.
If you click on the "About Swedenborg" link at Swedenborg.com, there are several links there that describe his biography, his theology and his works which, should just about answer any of your questions here ... ;)

Who do I worship?

Do I worship the Bible? No. I trust in the LORD in all my ways, instead of leaning on my own understanding. In all of the things I do I acknowledge him, and he directs my paths.

Do I disavow the spirit by believing in the written word? If this is inevitable, then why is it that Jesus himself read and/or alluded to scriptures from Isaiah, Jonah, Moses, David, Solomon, and Zechariah to name a few?

What is truth? I believe Pontius Pilate asked that same question to Jesus himself. Jesus didn't answer. Jesus didn't need to answer. Jesus is truth; the answer was in front of Pilate the whole time, and he didn't see it because he had the thoughts of man, and not of God, in his mind.

Who is the Holy Spirit, if not God? And yes, he speaks to me. In fact, he speaks to me every single time I pick up the Bible, read it, and understand something that I didn't understand before. Does that mean I worship the Bible? No. It means I worship God by reading what he wants me to read, instead of wasting my time reading comic books and porno magazines like people who cling to the secular world do.

But now I understand who you are by your own words:

"By the way, if Jesus was who He was purported to be..."

Your trust in an obscure 18th century philosopher is thus no longer surprising.

this might clear it up for you. Luke 12:51-53Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather DIVISION: {52} For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. {53} The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Since Jesus didn't literally mean He would divide families, He was referencing "spiritual division".....most notably "religious division" ...He knew He was going to be a "divider".....and He states it several times.

Matthew:34.Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35. For I have come to set a man at variance against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And the persons of a man's household shall be his enemies.

Gospel of Thomas 16. Jesus said, "Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts (divisions) upon the earth: fire, sword, war.

And christians call Him the "Prince of Peace".....ironic isn't it?

Hope this helps.......

His teaching is peace... that doesnt mean he's the cause of it.

I havent read this thread and it makes me sad. I just see him being crucified all over again.

Marsh said:
In the book of Acts, Christians are not known as Christians, but as "the Way." From then until now, it seems to me that Christianity-- and hence Christians themselves-- have drifted farther and farther away from their roots in Judaism. From this separation our culture as Christians has evolved into what we know it as today: something that is not Jewish, nor ever was (to the best of most Christians' knowledge).

I'm asking this not because I think I know the answer, but because I'm looking for one: Are modern churches horribly off-track? Did Jesus really want us to separate ourselves into a new entity called Christians, or to identify more with our Jewish roots as a new "Way" of being a Jew?

I do realize that Jesus didn't want us to be religious, just as God didn't want a house built for him in Moses' time. But I'm sure that you will understand what I'm trying to get at with this question: is Christianity as we know it a false religion in the sense that the Pharisee sect of Judaism was a false religion?
Hi Marsh,

I couldn't help but be fascinated by all the activity in your thread....

With respect to your initial question regarding 'how far' off the track Christians have gone beyond what Jesus may have intended for us, I would recommend that you read the following book:

"SIBLINGS, Rabbinic Judaism and Early Christianity at Their Beginnings
" by Hayim Goren Perelmuter, Paulist Press, New Jersey, 1989. The author was Rabbi Emeritus of KAM Isaiah Israel Congregation in Chicago and professor of Jewish Studies at the Catholic Theological Union.

In this book, Dr. Perelmuter mentions that Rabbinic or Pharisaic Judaism represented a 'significant mutation in the development of the Jewish experience'. The reason for this change was for the sake of continuity and survival.

He highlights the fact that the form of Judaism which survived the Temple was shaped at approximately the same time as Christianity. Both were reactions to the same cataclysmic event - the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans in 70AD.

"Both Rabbinic Judaism, the form in which Judaism survived the destruction of State and Temple by the Romans, and Christianity were shaped at approximately the same time. The shaping of the emerging pattern for the survival of Judaism came out of Yavneh, at just about the same time the first gospels were written to crystallize the new Christianity."

He continues:

"In their confrontation with Rome, the Jewish people had five options..."

1. They could assimilate and become Roman as had many of their predecessors during the Hellenistic period. An example of this is the nephew of Philo, Tiberius Alexander, who became thoroughly Romanized, joined the army, rose in the ranks and was second in command to Titus when Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD.

2. They could decide to fight to the death which was the path of the Zealots.

3. They could decide to withdraw from the world and resign from struggle. They could retire to the desert and await the redemptive day. This was the way of Qumran.

Finally, there were two other alternatives, both of which thought in terms of survival through the 'messianic impulse' already implicit in the approach of Rabbinic/Pharisaic Judaism.

"Both were animated by a 'messianic' thrust and both thought in terms of survival and not suicide. The one believed the messianic time was at hand and should be grasped boldy. The other, having seen the messianic impulse take the form of military resistance that failed disastrously, took a long range view."

"The short range messianic movement out of Judaism became Christianity. The long range messianic movement became Rabbinic Judaism. The former plunged headlong into the world of the Roman Empire, and 'conquered' it in less than two centuries. The latter signed a temporary 'cease fire' with Rome, and within those same two centuries moved out of the sphere of the Roman Empire, into the Parthian Empire. There perhaps a million Jews lived, where they developed Rabbinic Judaism by expanding Mishnah into Talmud, and returning to Europe as fully developed Judaism by the eighth century.
It is in this sense that Judaism and Christianity are clearly siblings, both responding to the same cataclysmic event, as Jews, but each taking a different approach to the messianic destiny".

Regards,
Tishrei

Back