Why all the fascination with vibration?

heavensblade23

Established Member
Reaction score
This word is often bandied about by new ager believers...everything from the concept of "good vibrations" to "raising your vibration" by meditation or some other means, to the concept of the afterlife being at a higher vibrational level than the world of the living.

It strikes me as a weasel word..it's never really defined in the way that new age authors use it, and the applicability to the subject matter is a good question too.

You could probably say the same thing about the word 'energy'

Personally I think it was introduced as a way to try and explain things in a scientific way. However, using scientific sounding terms doesn't make a theory valid science... testability and reproducibility does.

I use the term energy to talk about that kind of stuff, and sometimes I will talk about vibration. However, it has nothing to do with science for me. It's just the closest word I can find to help get the experience across to someone else.

Certain places, activities, rocks feel like electrical pulses to me. I can feel a certain rhythm and strength of the pulse in my body. It's hard to explain. Saying "energy" or "vibration" or "pulse" is as close as I can get in the English language, because the closest other type of experience I can relate it to is a static shocks or the hum that machinery creates, or the boom of bass in music.

I have no idea if other people are trying to accomplish something specific by calling it that, or if, like me, they're just struggling for expression.

I don't use the word to describe spiritual growth through meditation or otherwise, however.

In the last two centuries, interest has moved away from electricity towards lesser known expressions of energy. Leaps in mathematics and quantum mechanics have channeled interest into vibrations, higher dimensions, dark matter, higs bosons, dualism etc. These are getting matched up with surviving mystical and alchemical formulas. We mystics continue looking for the underlying explanation. Nowadays we've scientifically run up against a wall. It is the vibrational-reality wall -- the mystery of our time. At very small sizes we are unable to measure both position and location of any particle, although we can determine either one individually. Why? Because of vibrations!

Certain quantum effects can only be modeled using 4th dimensional mathematics. Vibrations become of interest when you imagine that there are 4 dimensions instead of three, although I'm not suggesting objects as we think of them could exist in 4 dimensions. It does make me wonder if they could. Our world, with its three dimensions, is perceived by us through the means of linear-time. Our eyes move side to side, up and down, and our heads move forward and backward. These are three dimensions measured by a single clock. Measurement is the time it takes for our eyes, heads, hands, bodies etc to move through a space. We cannot perceive a fourth dimension object, because it cannot be experienced with a single clock. It has be seen through means of a time-squared function. We are unable to perceive time-squared, so quantum effects appear to us as random unpredictable vibrations in linear time. The best way we know of accounting for them is to study them statistically. (Incidentally there is a fantastic series of videos that introduce the concepts of 4th dimensional math and complex numbers at Dimensions They are very entertaining and informative.)

Energy sources are always of interest, because mystics are always looking for an explanation for things. Sometimes our interest is spiritual and psychological, sometimes alchemical. Sometimes its just for magic shows. Just as you said, there are shysters who sell fake gimmicks. For whatever reason, energy is where its at, man. In the 19th century, we were fascinated with electricity. Before that it was light, or fire, or cold & heat, myst, acids, sound, numerology, musics, critters, and whatever else was attributed to the universes' underlying controls and expressions. Is New Age anything new?

This word is often bandied about by new ager believers...everything from the concept of "good vibrations" to "raising your vibration" by meditation or some other means, to the concept of the afterlife being at a higher vibrational level than the world of the living.

It strikes me as a weasel word..it's never really defined in the way that new age authors use it, and the applicability to the subject matter is a good question too.

Hi There,
Yes the words are not specific enough.
Vibration though, as in the greater instance of the activity of the Creative Word, can be the impetus to form and order.
YouTube - Cymatics - Bringing Matter To Life With Sound (Part 1 of 3)

Search for "Cymatics" on Youtube.

I do perfectly agree with Dream.

And I'd like to advise people who can think to read books by Charles Hinton. It's a cycle of articles called "What Is the Fourth Dimention". They can be found in internet, I'm sure. They were written at the end of 19 cent., but they are on top of actuality. It may be interesting even for people who're far from maths or geometry, as I am.

Different parts of our astral bodies vibrate at different frequencies. (The frequencies correspond to the colors of the astral body.) One of our most important tasks in life is to raise the various frequencies of our astral bodies.

Raising your frequency is a term describing one's physical association with Christ like energies.

The lowest energy people, are very negative types. They have little interest in evolving themselves.
The highest, are like Christ, very open and mature types who look forward to adventure and living...to my way of thinking.

Jesus opens the doorway to achieve limited success on this Earth, via hard work and dedication (to god and family and then self). People who achieve this level, then are required to go to the next level, which I admit, most refuse. Most people, are self centered and don't like evolving (ie. changing), beyond that mark. But as you gradually mature, you begin to let go of selfish desires and ambition. Eventually, you leave the world, altogether and enter meditative states more permanently (as I have achieved here). You will find guides, on this journey, some, if not all, will not be entirely christian, either. Jesus/god sends you want you need and not, what you want.

It isn't good or necessarily bad, that you choose to stick to easy to achieve goals. Each person, has what they need. So no one else knows, what you need next, but you (and Jesus/god).

Asking for inner guidance, is the best help, of all.

Last edited:
Raising your frequency is a term describing one's physical association with Christ like energies.

The lowest energy people, are very negative types. They have little interest in evolving themselves.
The highest, are like Christ, very open and mature types who look forward to adventure and living...to my way of thinking.

Jesus opens the doorway to achieve limited success on this Earth, via hard work and dedication (to god and family and then self). People who achieve this level, then are required to go to the next level, which I admit, most refuse. Most people, are self centered and don't like evolving (ie. changing), beyond that mark. But as you gradually mature, you begin to let go of selfish desires and ambition. Eventually, you leave the world, altogether and enter meditative states more permanently (as I have achieved here). You will find guides, on this journey, some, if not all, will not be entirely christian, either. Jesus/god sends you want you need and not, what you want.

It isn't good or necessarily bad, that you choose to stick to easy to achieve goals. Each person, has what they need. So no one else knows, what you need next, but you (and Jesus/god).

Asking for inner guidance, is the best help, of all.
The emotions that are good are what we are. The highest of ourselves are beings that are love literally.

New-age writing is full of weasel words.

Back