Fear-Based Christianity

earl

?
Reaction score
Let me put forward a thesis to generate dialogue. There are denominational intrepetations that are heavy on proscriptions and judgments. Those that instill fear to attempt things like Hatha yoga simply because it originated in Hinduism-the method itself being a fine way to gain a more intimate awareness of being-in-the body. Or forms that decry most forms of meditation because whatever then happens in the mind is of "devilish" nature. These same theologies often are the most judgmental about any group of people "too different-"gays for instance being "bound for hell" then are people to not even attempt to associate with. So, do you think there are forms of Christianity that are so "fear and judgment-" based that they serve to alienate us from our own bodies, the workings of our own minds, and each other? Earl

Oh, yes. For my story you should see part three of this post I made: http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/death-9400-2.html#post157453

Fear of something you've only been told about is a mental block. In children, it is sort of like a foot-binding, because it can keep you from growing. Did you see the movie The Village ? I really hated that movie, but the experimental community in it could actually be practically done I think.

Colossians 2:19-23 said:
If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the universe, why do you live as if you still belonged to the world? Why do you submit to regulations, "Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch" (referring to things which all perish as they are used), according to human precepts and doctrines? These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting rigor of devotion and self-abasement and severity to the body, but they are of no value in checking the indulgence of the flesh.

(Psalm 56:4) In God I praise His word, in God I have trusted, I fear not what flesh doth to me.

(Mark 4:40) And he said to them, "Why are you so fearful? Have you not faith?"

So, do you think there are forms of Christianity that are so "fear and judgment-" based that they serve to alienate us from our own bodies, the workings of our own minds, and each other? Earl

No. there are specific groups of people that are so fear and judgment based that they serve to alienate each other from any religion to the point they are no longer part of the same flock. There has always been people like this, its not new to the world.

(Matthew 12:36) And I say to you, that every idle word that men may speak, they shall give for it a reckoning in a day of judgment

When people say that the murder of Jesus was necessary, they are essentially advocating it.

I think its interesting that Jesus said that his second coming will be significantly different than the first and that he could return as suddenly as a thief in the night; to me this essentially means that you can't get trapped in this paradigm forever.

I believe that these advocates project themselves onto others and wish to punish them in the way you mentioned. Its a result of jealousy, ressentiment, and refusal to believe that they're forgiven. The form you're asking about is made up of these advocates.

(Matthew 12:32) And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

When people say that the murder of Jesus was necessary, they are essentially advocating it.

I think its interesting that Jesus said that his second coming will be significantly different than the first and that he could return as suddenly as a thief in the night; to me this essentially means that you can't get trapped in this paradigm forever.

I believe that these advocates project themselves onto others and wish to punish them in the way you mentioned. Its a result of jealousy, ressentiment, and refusal to believe that they're forgiven. The form you're asking about is made up of these advocates.
No they are not. They are admitting that the Old testament prophecies came to pass (hence being true prophecies). Then Jesus made prophesies of his own prior to death, that we should take strong heed to.

It's like my dad saying "don't go into the water by yourself, or you might drown". Dumb ass me goes into the water alone, only to be awakened by my fussing, furious, relieved dad, who bellowed "I TOLD YOU NOT TO GO INTO THE WATER ALONE", followed by "what part of that did you not understand?"

And then a bear hug that nearly suffocated me...

The fear, is what we cause in ourselves, by failing to listen.

v/r

Q

(Matthew 12:32) And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.
The "Son of Man" is Jesus without his "divinity". Stupid move, but addressible. The Holy Spirit, is divinity...there is no room for error, because the knowledge is written on every man's heart.

Fear is for those who know no mercy, and stomp on God's mercy by using God's forgiveness as excuse to continue practicing sin. (Sinning against the Spirit.) They show that they love unrighteousness more than they love God and their fellow human beings.

When you stomp all over mercy, what is left except judgment, and the fear that accompanies judgment? (Fortunately, mercy triumphs over judgment, if you show mercy to others...)
James 2:13
For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.​

Fear is for those who know no mercy, and stomp on God's mercy by using God's forgiveness as excuse to continue practicing sin. (Sinning against the Spirit.) They show that they love unrighteousness more than they love God and their fellow human beings.

When you stomp all over mercy, what is left except judgment, and the fear that accompanies judgment? (Fortunately, mercy triumphs over judgment, if you show mercy to others...)
For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.​
Hence the term "mercy, where justice is deserved"...

No they are not. They are admitting that the Old testament prophecies came to pass (hence being true prophecies).

What does this mean to someone who is not Jewish?

Here's a statement: "Jesus did not have to be murdered. It just wasn't necessary." Try convincing me otherwise.

It's like my dad saying "don't go into the water by yourself, or you might drown". Dumb ass me goes into the water alone, only to be awakened by my fussing, furious, relieved dad, who bellowed "I TOLD YOU NOT TO GO INTO THE WATER ALONE", followed by "what part of that did you not understand?"

And then a bear hug that nearly suffocated me...
When our attention is on listening to other people, we are unable to get a direct connection with God. There are many people who eagerly take on that role, but invariably, as Christians say, "all fall short of the glory of God."

What does this mean to someone who is not Jewish?

Here's a statement: "Jesus did not have to be murdered. It just wasn't necessary." Try convincing me otherwise.

When our attention is on listening to other people, we are unable to get a direct connection with God. There are many people who eagerly take on that role, but invariably, as Christians say, "all fall short of the glory of God."

What, only Jews commit sin? If Jesus didn't die for our sins (all of us being equal), then we all fall short of the glory of God, and we all die the final death. Then there's that little part about "branches being grafted" on to the "Tree of Life", while others are cut off and cast into the fire as chaff. I'm going to try to convince you of anything. What I state is biblical, not made up by me.

God doesn't speak with us through people? Who's limiting God here?

Finally, as Solomon wisely surmized in Ecclesiastes, "without God, all is for naught".

EcclecticMystic said:
Thread derailment. Please start another thread.

Last edited:
What, only Jews commit sin? If Jesus didn't die for our sins (all of us being equal), then we all fall short of the glory of God, and we all die the final death. Then there's that little part about "branches being grafted" on to the "Tree of Life", while others are cut off and cast into the fire as chaff. I'm going to try to convince you of anything. What I state is biblical, not made up by me.

I regarded the Old Testament as a Jewish text and you turned that around to mean that, with a hubris, I say "only Jews commit sin."

God doesn't speak with us through people? Who's limiting God here?
Again, I didn't say that. God does speak through people, but never through an eager person. I hear God speak through other people who respect my personal space.

Dream, I wasn't derailing the thread; if you look into what I wrote, you'll see I was making a point about fear based Christians projecting themselves onto others by aggressively asserting that Jesus' murder was necessary.

I regarded the Old Testament as a Jewish text and you turned that around to mean that, with a hubris, I say "only Jews commit sin."

Again, I didn't say that. God does speak through people, but never through an eager person. I hear God speak through other people who respect my personal space.

Dream, I wasn't derailing the thread; if you look into what I wrote, you'll see I was making a point about fear based Christians projecting themselves onto others by aggressively asserting that Jesus' murder was necessary.

I said, "What only Jews commit sin?" Where is the 'hubris' in that question?

God can speak through whomever God chooses to speak through. So it pays to listen up.

The Bible is specific. Jesus' murder was necessary. Without his death, we would have no life beyond this plane. We would never be able to touch the face of God. That is what the bible says.

v/r

Q

Thread derailment. Please start another thread.
Ecclectic Mystic said:
You are assuming Christianity to be invalid based upon a challenge that cannot be answered in the context of this thread. You question is not rhetorical, and the answer would derail the thread. It could be treated in another thread. This thread is not about Christianity's validity or any threat it makes to the outside world but is about whether or not some Christian groups impose fear upon themselves. Its an important question to answer and your question's already being debated 7 other places concurrently. Do you think you could give the opening question a little place in your heart?

Christians want to honour and remember Jesus because he died, not because he needed to be murdered.

It may help to redefine things here. There is the notion of the necessity of the event of him being murdered, and the notion of the necessity of the concept of him being murdered.

For those who honour and remember him for his death, it's because they believe it happened and it's important to them. They don't have to believe it was necessary. The concept is necessary. The event is less essential.

Let's say your father died on a particular day. Was it necessary for him to die on that day? Everybody dies eventually, so no, he didn't have to die on that day.

Let's say he was murdered. Was it necessary to murder him? Some people die naturally, some get murdered. Someone wanted to murder him. That's fine. But no, it wasn't absolutely essential for your father to be murdered.

But he was murdered and now you're attending his funeral. The murder makes his death somewhat more tragic, considering that someone hated him so much to murder him. You ask, why, why him? You spend the rest of your life investigating.

You remember him for what he did for you, as well as what he meant to the world. You also remember him for being murdered, for having his life come to a violent end. The murder wasn't absolutely necessary, but if he hadn't died like that you wouldn't celebrate him in this way.

Not everybody has to celebrate your father's life and death. But those who do are doing it because he was important to them. It's a similar thing with Jesus.

Back