Easter Pagan

JJM

Reaction score
I've know that some people find Easter to be pagan. I don't hold this belief but if there is anyone who reads this thread that does could that person please explain to me why they feel that way. Or if anyone who doesn't share that belief but understands why some do wishes to explain it I wouldn't complain:) .

Well...I believe the name itself comes from a pagan (Nordic?) god named "Eostre", who had a big festival at the time.

Traditionally, so far as I understand it, the time period is one of general festivities in pagan societies - the "resurrection" of the earth after winter.

I suspect the decision to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus in the same time period as an astute move by early Christians, to harmonise better with others and provide a sense of continuity of faith to new adherents.

I said:
Well...I believe the name itself comes from a pagan (Nordic?) god named "Eostre", who had a big festival at the time.

Traditionally, so far as I understand it, the time period is one of general festivities in pagan societies - the "resurrection" of the earth after winter.

I suspect the decision to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus in the same time period as an astute move by early Christians, to harmonise better with others and provide a sense of continuity of faith to new adherents.

Actually I don't think that is was to harmonize but rather to give Christians an alternative to that holiday. This was also done to Christmas. But I didn't know about the name. Thank you

The name "Eostre" is Germanic form for an Indo-European goddess of the dawn, named "Eos" in Greek (the -ter affix in the Germanic is a demonstrative, "the one of" the dawn), "Ushas" in Sanskrit, "Ausosa" in Italic altering to "Aurora" in Latin. The same root is in the word "east".

Kindest Regards, JJM!

And a nod of agreement with Brian and Bobx.

JJM said:
I've know that some people find Easter to be pagan. I don't hold this belief but if there is anyone who reads this thread that does could that person please explain to me why they feel that way. Or if anyone who doesn't share that belief but understands why some do wishes to explain it I wouldn't complain:) .
I would like to expand a little, for clarification. Easter is pagan in its roots, but the celebration of the resurrection of Christ is a separate matter. Jesus, as a Jew, celebrated Passover with his disciples. He gave up the ghost on the cross in the same hour the Passover lambs were being sacrificed. Easter was mentioned only once in the Bible, Acts 12:4, and there it is a mistranslation. The Greek word translated in that passage is Pascha, translated everywhere else in the New Testament it is used properly as Passover. This from the Interlinear Bible and the Strong's Concordance.

"Easter is nothing else than Astarte, one of the titles of Beltis, the queen of heaven...That name, as found by Layard on the Assyrian monuments, is Ishtar...The worship of Bel and Astarte was very early introduced into Britain, along with the Druids...The hot cross buns of Good Friday, and the dyed eggs of Pasch or Easter Sunday, figured in the Chaldean rites just as they do now...The prophet Jeremiah takes notice of this kind of offering when he says (7:18) 'the sons gather wood and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead dough to make cakes for the queen of heaven...' The hot cross buns are not now offered, but eaten, on the festival of Astarte...The origin of the Pasch eggs is just as clear. The ancient Druids bore an egg, as the sacred emblem of their order. (*references are made to the mysteries of Bacchus, Hindoo {*Hindu} fables, Japan, and China, ancient Greece and Egypt)...and thus its tale is told by Hyginus, the Egyptian, the learned keeper of the Palatine library at Rome, in the time of Augustus...'An egg of wonderous size is said to have fallen from heaven into the river Euphrates. The fishes rolled it to the bank, where the doves having settled upon it, and hatched it, out came Venus, who afterwards was called the Syrian Goddess."-from "The Two Babylons" by Rev. A. Hyslop, empahasis his. *this is mine, to condense some of the material. Much more is said, concerning Lent and a number of other things, expanded upon and considered in historical/anthropological detail. Bunnies and candy have nothing to do with scripture, and considering that Easter was commonly celebrated as an orgy (quick like a bunny) previous to Christianity. As the spring fertility festival, it is pagan in origin, not scriptural.

It is probably coincidental that Passover and Easter are celebrated at roughly the same time, and for political reasons the two became merged, much like Brian suggested, although I have a bit less generous view as to why.

I hope this helps. :)

We should not forget that Easter is tied to Passover which was already a spring festival. So it is not because of pagan influences that Easter ended up in the same time-frame as pagan celebrations of the vernal equinox.

What is more of a puzzle is why, when most European languages use a form of the Hebrew term for passover as the name of the Christian festival (Fr. Paques, Ital. Pascua, etc.) English ended up using the name of a pagan goddess.

Even the eggs have a dual origin. They are a common sign of fertility used in pagan worship. But they are also a feature of the Passover Seder. In Christian iconography, the egg is also a symbol of Christ's tomb.

Kindest Regards, gluadys!
gluadys said:
What is more of a puzzle is why, when most European languages use a form of the Hebrew term for passover as the name of the Christian festival (Fr. Paques, Ital. Pascua, etc.) English ended up using the name of a pagan goddess.
Ah, that would seem to explain the Druidic connection mentioned by Hyslop. I wasn't aware of the linguistic connection regarding the other Eurpean languages, thanks!

Easter supposedly commemorates the resurrection of Christ, but reputable sources link it with false worship. The Westminster Dictionary of the Bible says that Easter was "originally the spring festival in honor of the Teutonic goddess of light and spring known in Anglo-Saxon as Eastre," or Eostre. In any case, the Encyclopædia Britannica (11th Edition) states: "There is no indication of the observance of the Easter festival in the New Testament." Easter was not an early Christian observance and is not celebrated by Jehovah’s people today.

Jesus did not command his followers to commemorate either his birth or his resurrection, but he did institute the Memorial of his sacrificial death. (Romans 5:8) Indeed, this is the only event he commanded his disciples to observe. (Luke 22:19, 20) Also called the Lord’s Evening Meal, this annual event is still being observed by Jehovah’s Witnesses.—1 Corinthians 11:20-26.

juantoo3 said:
Easter is pagan in its roots, but the celebration of the resurrection of Christ is a separate matter. Jesus, as a Jew, celebrated Passover with his disciples. He gave up the ghost on the cross in the same hour the Passover lambs were being sacrificed. Easter was mentioned only once in the Bible, Acts 12:4, and there it is a mistranslation. The Greek word translated in that passage is Pascha, translated everywhere else in the New Testament it is used properly as Passover. This from the Interlinear Bible and the Strong's Concordance.
[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To unravel the confusion concerning "Easter" in verse 4, we must consult our final authority, THE BIBLE. The key which unlocks the puzzle is found not in verse 4, but in verse 3. (Then were the days of unleavened bread... ") To secure the answer that we seek, we must find the relationship of the passover to the days of unleavened bread. We must keep in mind that Peter was arrested during the "days of unleavened bread" (Acts 12:3).[/font][/font]

Start with the first Passover:

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exodus 12:13-18: "And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.
16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
17 And ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread; for in this selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day in your generations by an ordinance for ever.
18 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even."[/font]
[/font]
[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here in Exodus 12:13 we see how the passover got its name. The LORD said that He would "pass over" all of the houses which had the blood of the lamb marking the door.[/font][/font] [font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After the passover (Exodus 12:13, 14), we find that seven days shall be fulfilled in which the Jews were to eat unleavened bread. These are the days of unleavened bread![/font][/font] [font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In verse 16 we see that the passover is only considered to be the 14th of the month. On the next morning, the 15th begins the "days of unleavened bread."[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deuteronomy 16:1-8: "Observe the month of Abib (April), and keep the passover unto the LORD thy God: for in the month of Abib the LORD thy God brought thee forth out of Egypt by night.

2 Thou shalt therefore sacrifice the passover unto the LORD thy God, of the flock and the herd, in the place which the LORD shall choose to place his name there.
3 Thou shalt eat no leavened bread with it; seven days shalt thou eat unleavened bread therewith, even the bread of affliction: for thou camest forth out of the land of Egypt in haste: that thou mayest remember the day when thou camest forth out of the land of Egypt all the days of thy life.
4 And there shall be no leavened bread seen with thee in all thy coast seven days; neither shall there any thing of the flesh, which thou sacrificedst the first day at even, remain all night until the morning.
5 Thou mayest not sacrifice the passover within any of thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee:
6 But at the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name in, there thou shalt sacrifice the passover at even, at the going down of the sun, at the season that thou camest forth out of Egypt.
7 And thou shalt roast and eat it in the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: and thou shalt turn in the morning, and go unto thy tents.
8 Six days thou shalt eat unleavened bread: and on the seventh day shall be a solemn assembly to the LORD thy God: thou shalt do no work therein."[/font]
[/font]
[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here in Deuteronomy we see again that the passover is sacrificed on the first night (Deuteronomy 16:1). It is worth noting that the passover was to be celebrated in the evening (vs.6) not at sunrise (Ezekiel 8:13-16).[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whenever the passover was kept, it always preceded the feast of unleavened bread. In II Chronicles 30 some Jews who were unable to keep the passover in the first month were allowed to keep it in the second. But the dates remained the same.[/font][/font]​
[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]II Chronicles 30:l5,21: "Then they killed the passover on the fourteenth day of the second month: and the priests and the Levites were ashamed, and sanctified themselves, and brought in the burnt offerings into the house of the LORD. And the children of lsrael that were present at Jerusalem kept the feast of unleavened bread seven days with great gladness: and the Levites and the priests praised the LORD day by day, singing with loud instruments unto the LORD."[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It must also be noted that whenever the passover is mentioned in the New Testament, the reference is always to the meal, to be eaten on the night of April 14th not the entire week. The days of unleavened bread are NEVER referred to as the Passover. (It must be remembered that the angel of the Lord passed over Egypt on one night, not seven nights in a row.[/font][/font]​

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now let us look at Acts 12:3, 4:[/font] [/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.) And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."[/font][/font]​

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Verse 3 shows that Peter was arrested during the days of unleavened bread (April 15-21). The Bible says: "Then were the days of unleavened bread." The passover (April 14th) had already come and gone. Herod could not possibly have been referring to the passover in his statement concerning Easter. The next Passover was a year away! But the pagan holiday of Easter was just a few days away. Remember! Herod was a pagan Roman who worshipped the "queen of heaven". He was NOT a Jew.[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thus we see that it was God's providence which had the Spirit-filled translators of our Bible (King James) to CORRECTLY translate "pascha" as "Easter". It most certainly did not refer to the Jewish passover. In fact, to change it to "passover" would confuse the reader and make the truth of the situation unclear.[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica]You may be surprised to know that the word "passover" did not even exist before William Tyndale coined it for his Version of 1526-31. His was also the first English Bible to use "Easter." Previously the Hebrew and Greek were left untranslated. For example, in Wycliffe's Bible, which was based on the Latin, we find pask or paske. [/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica]An article which appeared in The Trinitarian Bible Society Quarterly Record states: [/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica]"When Tyndale applied his talents to the translation of the New Testament from Greek into English, he was not satisfied with the use of a completely foreign word, and decided to take into account the fact that the season of the passover was known generally to English people as `Easter' ... Tyndale has ester or easter fourteen times, ester-lambe eleven times, esterfest once, and paschall lambe three times." "When he began his translation of the Pentateuch, he was again faced with the problem in Exodus 12:11 and twenty- one other places, and no doubt recognizing that easter in this context would be an anachronism he coined a new word, passover and used it consistently in all twenty-two places. It is, therefore, to Tyndale that our language is indebted for this meaningful and appropriate word" (date of article not known).[/font]​
[font=Arial, helvetica]The English version after Tyndale followed his example in the Old Testament and increasingly replaced "Easter" with "Passover" in the New Testament. When we come to the Authorized Version there remained but one instance of the word "Easter"—Acts 12:4. [/font]

[font=Arial, helvetica]It is precisely in this one passage that "Easter" must be used, and the translation "Passover" would have conflicted with the immediate context. In their rush to accuse the Authorized Version of error many have not taken the time to consider what the passage actually says: "(Then were the days of unleavened bread.)...intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people." [/font]
Conies, Brass & Easter, Answers to twenty-one "problem" passages in the King James, Authorized Version. pp. 15-17, By Jack A. Moorman

Passover (Heb., pe´sach; Gr., pa´skha)

Both Jesus Christ and the apostle Paul predicted that Christianity would be infiltrated by false teachings. (Matthew 13:24, 25, 36-40; 2 Timothy 4:3) After the death of Jesus’ apostles, the idea took root that it would be appropriate to hold a fast (now known as Lent), followed by a feast, at Passover season. Somehow this became thought of as a way to commemorate Christ’s resurrection.​

Easter​
and Its Customs

Easter’s ascendancy as a festival thus was not Bible based. In fact, scholars claim that the very word Easter is of Anglo-Saxon origin, referring to the springtime. During that season, the ancients thought the sun was reborn after months of winter death. Other terms for the festival, such as pâques or pasqua, are derived from the ancient Hebrew word pe´sach, or "passover." Christendom argues that Easter replaces this Jewish festival. But this ignores the fact that Jesus replaced the Passover, not with Easter, but with his memorial supper.

Since we're all tossing facts araound I'm going to contribute.

the synoptic gospels describe the last meal which Jesus shared with his apostles as a passover supper, and in doing this present an unlikely scenario. According to gospels the interrogations of Jesus by the high priest and the council, as well as his condemnation and actual execution, all occur on 15 Nisan, the feast day of Passover. It is highly unlikely that religious leadership of the Jewish people should publicly break such basic rules as the prohibition of court hearings, and the pronouncement and execution of death sentences on festive days and the Sabbath.

the fourth gospel moves these events up by 24 hours. This is obvious from the remark about the Jewish notables unwillingness to enter Pilates residence. they sought to avoid contracting ritual defilement on 14 Nisan which would rule out them eating the Passover in the evening(John 18:28). This means that the sedar dinner had not yet taken place. This narration in John creates a snag, it excludes or greatly decreases the possibilty that the Last Supper was a passover supper. yet the Passover identity of the meal is emphatically stated in Mark, Mathew and Luke. ( Mark 14:12-17, Matt 26:17-21, Luke 22:7-14)

i have no facts except what has already been said. We always colored & hunted for easter eggs & had the easter bunny leave candy & presents. it does not bother me in the least because it was never a priority over the death burial & resurrection of Jesus Christ & going to church.

it does not bother me that we have christmas trees & a santa clause either because it never got in the way of the birth of Jesus Christ...at least not in my life it didn't.
just about every other holiday on the calendar has pagan roots.

but there were some in the churches who sure had issues about it...the same ones who felt we should not have a TV. :)

Time of his death. The death of Jesus Christ took place in the spring, on the Passover Day, Nisan (or Abib) 14, according to the Jewish calendar. (Mt 26:2; Joh 13:1-3; Ex 12:1-6; 13:4) That year the Passover occurred on the sixth day of the week (counted by the Jews as from sundown on Thursday to sundown on Friday). This is evident from John 19:31, which shows that the following day was "a great" sabbath. The day after Passover was always a sabbath, no matter on what day of the week it came. (Le 23:5-7) But when this special Sabbath coincided with the regular Sabbath (the seventh day of the week), it became "a great one." So Jesus’ death took place on Friday, Nisan 14, by about 3:00 p.m.—Lu 23:44-46.

Bandit said:
i have no facts except what has already been said. We always colored & hunted for easter eggs & had the easter bunny leave candy & presents. it does not bother me in the least because it was never a priority over the death burial & resurrection of Jesus Christ & going to church.

it does not bother me that we have christmas trees & a santa clause either because it never got in the way of the birth of Jesus Christ...at least not in my life it didn't.
just about every other holiday on the calendar has pagan roots.

but there were some in the churches who sure had issues about it...the same ones who felt we should not have a TV. :)

the Bible does warn Christians against adulterating pure worship with man-made traditions. This would apply especially to a tradition, such as Easter, that is laced with pagan customs and the ancient rites of false religions

The apostle Paul warned Christians against the introduction of man-made traditions into the congregation when he said: "Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ."—Colossians 2:8.

according to Bible teaching, the arrangement for our salvation includes Jesus’ sacrifice of his perfect life, his resurrection, and his presenting the value of his sacrifice to God in heaven. All these elements are important. (Hebrews 7:25; 9:11-14) Jesus commanded his followers to celebrate the anniversary of his death. It is the only event Scripturally commanded to be memorialized by Christians. i suppose it depends whether we want to please God and stick to the bible or not . everyone to their own .

mee said:

the Bible does warn Christians against adulterating pure worship with man-made traditions. This would apply especially to a tradition, such as Easter, that is laced with pagan customs and the ancient rites of false religions

The apostle Paul warned Christians against the introduction of man-made traditions into the congregation when he said: "Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ."—Colossians 2:8.

according to Bible teaching, the arrangement for our salvation includes Jesus’ sacrifice of his perfect life, his resurrection, and his presenting the value of his sacrifice to God in heaven. All these elements are important. (Hebrews 7:25; 9:11-14) Jesus commanded his followers to celebrate the anniversary of his death. It is the only event Scripturally commanded to be memorialized by Christians. i suppose it depends whether we want to please God and stick to the bible or not . everyone to their own .

yes i know, but the easter bunny & coloring eggs does not prevent me from worshipping & loving Jesus. I can sing 'at the cross' & still eat a colored hard boiled egg & tuck a little story book about the bible into the easter basket.
these things are not mixed into the service at our church. they are done at home for the children.

there are many traditions that go along with each holiday, like buying a new pair of shoes or a suit & the women wear easter bonnets.

I dont want to offend anyone on this issue so I am going to try to be gentle.

I myself observe the Lords supper on the passover. And thats it thats all. I am also a sabbath keeping Christian. Now how I came to these conclusions is I decided to search the Bible only for my faith and not follow the traditional path.

I see alot of things in Christianity that remind me of the Idols hid in the tents of Gods people.
I think you should study about Tammuz about Mithras about Nimrod and Semetrias Ishtar and alot of other gods.
The rabbits the eggs the fertility spring sunrise services even the old hot cross buns that used to be baked all of it from ancient religions and traditions that crept into Christianity.

Another thing Jesus Did Rise on the first day of the week. That shows me he rested even in death on the Sabbath but that is so often left out of the story. And He did so at passover.
Now none of these are salvation issues but do have alot to do with how close do you want to get to the truth. Do you want it bad enough to throw out all the traditions of man and like Israel had to do so many times be read the word and learn all over?

I dont celebrate easter or christmas but will fellowship with my brethren anyday of the week.
If anybody takes this as a personal judgement on my part please believe me its not. It became a choice for me and done out of wanting to rightly divide the word of truth and to work out my own salvation.

Paul said flee from Idoltary I think that warning got lost over time and thats why we see these traditions of men.

Back