Jesus in Islam

Abdillah

Reaction score
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah (Holy Quran 5:46)

Islam teaches that Allah sends prophets through whom He conveys His guidance and the objective of the prophets is to proclaim the oneness of Allah, and warn their people against idolatry (devotion to idols and false "gods"). The children of Israel were a special nation whom Allah greatly favored. He sent them an abundant number of prophets to guide and rule over them. Jesus was the promised messiah being awaited by the children of Israel. Allah sent him for the specific purpose of calling back his people to the devotion to Allah and adherence to the Torah which was revealed to Moses. While some of the children of Israel accepted Jesus and became his disciples, others rejected him and attempted to kill him. However, Islam teaches that Jesus ascended to Allah alive and was rescued from the plot to crucify him. Instead, it was made to appear to his enemies that he had been killed on the cross. After he left this world, Jesus' original message became distorted. A new religion emerged which believed that Jesus was God in the flesh. New and strange beliefs emerged, such as the trinity, where God ("the father") is one of three co-equal persons who all share the same essence. This new development was due to the pagan and hellenic influence which was eroding the message of Jesus to be devoted to only One God.

When he was asked what is the most important and fundamental of all commandments, Jesus said:

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." (Mark 12:29)

When one of Jesus' companions referred to him as "Good Teacher", Jesus said:

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone." (Mark 10:18)

After Jesus said this, his companion stopped addressing him as "good teacher" and simply referred to him as "teacher", which means that he understood by Jesus' statement that he (Jesus) is not God, and only God is worthy of being called "Good".

Jesus was a pious human being, and a chosen prophet sent by Allah for the spiritual reformation of his people. However, he was still a human being, and like all human beings he was subject to hunger, thirst, fatigue, and all other human biological conditions. Islam teaches that Allah is not a human being, and does not possess any of these defective human qualities. The Bible says as well: God is not a man (Numbers 23:19)

Jesus was given the immense blessing of many miracles and signs so that he could prove himself to be a true prophet of Allah. However, in order to ensure that no one would be misguided into believing that Jesus was a sort of deity due to his miracles, he said: "By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but Him who sent me." (John 5:30)

On his own, Jesus could not be capable of doing any miracle or wondrous act. These were all done for him by Allah to set him apart as Allah's chosen prophet. Even when Jesus drove out demons or evil spirits from possessed people, he did not claim credit for such things, but explained that all the credit belongs to God alone: "But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come to you" (Luke 11:20)

Islam teaches that Jesus was sent as a prophet for the children of Israel. Though all mankind must believe and accept him as a prophet from Allah, but the original message of Jesus, to adhere to the Torah which was revealed to Moses, was only meant for the Children of Israel as the Quran says: And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said: O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you (Holy Quran 61:6)

It is also mentioned in the Bible where Jesus says: "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." (Matthew 15:24)

Jesus also preached to his followers to adhere strictly to the Law of Moses (the Torah) and not do disobey a single commandment to God: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-20)

Here Jesus explained that his purpose was not to die for sins and redeem mankind by being a sacrifice. Jesus preached that the way to redemption was by adhering to the Laws which God has revealed for our guidance. Jesus preached that the true believers must not only believe, but also act upon their beliefs and exceed in righteousness.

And all praise belongs to Allah, the Lord of the worlds

I think I'm beginning to understand a little about the Islamic view of God and Jesus (although it leaves me a little cold), but what I really don't get is why if God is so settled in his oneness and perfection why bother creating the universe at all - why not just sit there in his infinite glory for all eternity?

To my eyes the universe is clearly imperfect on many levels, so why create a less than perfect world? To call the universe perfect to me just demonstrates a lack of imagination. There again given Islam's legalisms and rituals why would God create a thinking feeling race rather than a race of unquestioning robots?

:confused:

I think I'm beginning to understand a little about the Islamic view of God and Jesus (although it leaves me a little cold), but what I really don't get is why if God is so settled in his oneness and perfection why bother creating the universe at all - why not just sit there in his infinite glory for all eternity?
An unknown glory ..... is it really glory?

To my eyes the universe is clearly imperfect on many levels, so why create a less than perfect world? To call the universe perfect to me just demonstrates a lack of imagination.

Universe has got a builtin shut down mechanism. You can call it entropy, but not imperfection. Human material world can oscilate between imperfection & almost perfection (they cant eliminate the builtin shutdown mechanisms). But human being-ness continues after the shut down of material body. And thats when most of the imperfections (I guess) are removed.

There again given Islam's legalisms and rituals why would God create a thinking feeling race rather than a race of unquestioning robots?
Humans need some order, otherwise they usually come down to being animals. California law, EU law, Chinese law or Islamic law, its about refinment/organisation of the psychological/social structure, not being robots. There is enough margin in Islamic law for thinking/feeling.

Just curious... why does it leave you cold?

That's interesting what you are saying about "unknown" glory, it reminds me a bit of quantum physics where according to some interpretations consciousness causes the world to decide the way it is. However I don't really believe consciousness is that important to be able to do that and it seems excessively anthropocentric as indicated by the "Completely Ridiculous Anthropic Principle" (!). Just as I believe physical reality is it's own observer, I don't really see why God needs lesser beings to witness His glory. I don't want to worship such a mean and small-minded God!

Entropy wasn't what I was thinking of but it is an interesting point to consider it a shut-down mechanism. No to my mind only God is perfect and the Universe has been becoming more imperfect ever since.

I don't think I believe in the need for order that you espouse: perhaps you have a different conception of order which puzzles me since you were the one that brought up entropy. Rules coming down from above increase entropy and result in the homogeneous heat death you talk about. I don't think these rules are what God wants for us so much as coming into goodness by our own efforts. After all if you are forced to accept a creed, where is the goodness in that? That's the actions of a brutal torturing God.

peace and blessings,

qj

Allah is Al-Haqq, meaning He is the Truth or the Reality. Everything else is "illusory". The Quran says: There is none worthy of devotion other than He (Allah)Everything that exists will perish except His Face (28:88)

The creation of Allah is very magnificent, and is pointing toward Him. The stars, sun, moon, and planets are all making obeisance to Him.

And We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them in vain. That is the opinion of those who disbelieve. And woe unto those who disbelieve, from the Fire! (38:27)

Allah is Al-Khaliq (The Creator), how can He be the Creator if there is no creation? All of Allah's qualities are in operation.

But do not be deluded by anything you see. This world is but an illusion, a mere pastime. Like the Quran says, everything shall perish except His Face. He alone is the Reality, the One to whom all devotion, praise, and glorification is due. Those who realize that Allah is the Only Truth are truly blessed with wisdom.

That's interesting what you are saying about "unknown" glory, it reminds me a bit of quantum physics where according to some interpretations consciousness causes the world to decide the way it is. However I don't really believe consciousness is that important to be able to do that and it seems excessively anthropocentric as indicated by the "Completely Ridiculous Anthropic Principle" (!). Just as I believe physical reality is it's own observer, I don't really see why God needs lesser beings to witness His glory. I don't want to worship such a mean and small-minded God!
Anthropic principle deals with material universe & body. In material sciences, consciousness is considered to be a behaviour of body. The problem changes if we see it the other way, body as a behaviour of consciousness. Universe as a behaviour of consciousness.

The notion of lesser being is a label. I am not saying its wrong, but how exactly are you going to define "lesser". The problem gets worse since you are comparaing it to God, who is essentially uncomprehendible. Worship is yet another of the labels, whose meaning changes if we substitute it with devotion, meditation etc. I guess I'll have to create a new word, axiation.

Entropy wasn't what I was thinking of but it is an interesting point to consider it a shut-down mechanism. No to my mind only God is perfect and the Universe has been becoming more imperfect ever since.
What if its following an "intelligent algorithm of (gradual) self-deletion after use"? The self deletion algorithm started with the universe. It keeps on deleting it gradually. And this deletion is so clocked that the complete deletion will occur only when its reason to exist has been fulfilled.

I just used entropy because its a concept easily available. My use wasent necessarily restricted by the mathematical equations that come with this word.

I don't think I believe in the need for order that you espouse: perhaps you have a different conception of order which puzzles me since you were the one that brought up entropy. Rules coming down from above increase entropy and result in the homogeneous heat death you talk about. I don't think these rules are what God wants for us so much as coming into goodness by our own efforts. After all if you are forced to accept a creed, where is the goodness in that? That's the actions of a brutal torturing God.
I put human body & universe in one box (the one with entropy), & human consciousness (memory+algorithm+sence ability) in other. The reason of this consciousness to be here is for a process of self-refinment of the algorithm. Or may be to learn the process of self-refinment, or to experience un-refined algorithm & learn the significance/honour of refinment, or all of these. The universe with its undependabilities serves as a learning tool. I guess this will clarify the problem of order.

Of course we have to come to goodness by our own effort. We learn how to read by our own effort, but we (almost always) use a book & a teacher for that. There is also a dicipline of the school that is facilitative of the learning process. This is how I see Book, Teacher & Law.

My mom used to wake me up in the morning for school & I used to think "why is she so cruel". She would leave my younger brother sleeping & I would think "may be he is her son, & I am adopted". Lateron I realised that torture was for my own benifit. Imagine, what wouldhavebeen a bigger torture for me now, her waking me up, or not waking me up? Realisation changes our perception of torture.

Abdillah, understanding G!d, Jesus, and the Spirit is the least of Christianity's issues, and even in today's mainstream trinitarian Christianity there is reserved the greatest greatness for the Father of Jesus. That is why it is hard for us to understand your focus on that issue, although I believe you have the better vision on this point. There may be some confusion among Christians as to how prayer to G!d works, but prayer does still work. Christians often don't even know what 'Christ' means, which is the dwelling of God's spirit in a man, usually imparted to him by hearing, reading and thinking about Scripture. Not understanding this is modern Christianity's greatest fault, but fear not oh man. Peace on earth and the goodwill of G!d has been preached unto all men and women.

The righteous man lives by his faithfulness.(Habakkuk 2:4) This verse is sometimes translated by Christians with the word 'Faith' instead of 'Faithfulness' but is really about our attitude toward G!d. If men seek G!d with smiling faces, shall they not be rewarded with understanding? If they trust, however, in man or fear because of mere rules, how shall they find out anything? To them the word 'Yes' will mean 'No'.

How strange it is that people find it so hard to accept a different point of view from what their fathers taught. How difficult it is to cease from trusting in men and women. How abhorrent to discover one's own father was deceived or that a number of years of one's life has been spent in confusion!

Thank you Dream, I appreciate and value your input very much.

Abdillah, understanding G!d, Jesus, and the Spirit is the least of Christianity's issues, and even in today's mainstream trinitarian Christianity there is reserved the greatest greatness for the Father of Jesus. That is why it is hard for us to understand your focus on that issue, although I believe you have the better vision on this point. There may be some confusion among Christians as to how prayer to G!d works, but prayer does still work

I can tell you that knowing who Allah (the One and Only God) is, and what He is like is the focal point of Islam. Allah is the One to whom all our devotion, praise, and glorification is directed to. He is the One whom we must constantly be aware of. The Quran says: Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find contentment (13:28)

Remember, Allah is the One whom we are constantly praying to, constantly trying to get closer to. How can this be if we do not even know who He is and what He expects from us? According to Christianity, the very First Commandment is thus: You shall have no other gods before Me (Exodus 20:3)

This is the first commandment, not "do not kill", "do not steal", etc. The most important thing is to ensure that you have only One God, the Only God who is Allah. I agree that most Christians are confused about who they are praying to, and what is the role of Jesus. some believe Jesus is a mediator, others say he is God himself, while others say he is one of three gods, all sharing the same essence. The creed of Islam, however, is pure and simple, there is only One God, He has no sons or daughters.

Some people pray to saints or Jesus and think that they are mediating to God on their behalf. They argue that since these people are very pious and righteous, praying to them is alright since God loves them so much and they are dear to Him. If they request Him for something He will undoubtedly give it to them.

However, the Quran says: When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me, that they may walk in the right way (2:186)

Allah is Near, and He is not deaf, He is all-Hearing, having the power to hear your prayers, there is no need for mediation or intercession in that. Imagine there is a person who is directly standing in front of his king at his throne. He wants something from the king, but instead of asking him directly, since the king is right in front of him, he loudly shouts to one of the king's advisors or representatives to convey a certain request to the king! If that sounds absurd to you, than think about how people pray to Jesus, or other saints and prophets arguing that they are asking these people to intercede to God on their behalf. Islam teaches to pray directly to God, since praying and invoking are acts of worship, and all acts of worship must be dedicated to Allah alone.

Praying to other gods or idols angers the One true God. Remember what the bible says: Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God (Exodus 34:14)

The righteous man lives by his faithfulness.(Habakkuk 2:4) This verse is sometimes translated by Christians with the word 'Faith' instead of 'Faithfulness' but is really about our attitude toward G!d. If men seek G!d with smiling faces, shall they not be rewarded with understanding? If they trust, however, in man or fear because of mere rules, how shall they find out anything? To them the word 'Yes' will mean 'No'.

Yes you are completely right. We must have a sincere heart and true desire to be close to God. So in this light, obviously we need to try our utmost to please God, by praying to Him alone and following strictly all His commandments. This is the essence of faith. You should also know that faith is not merely a statement of beliefs, faith is much greater than that. Faith can increase (with good deeds and greater devotion) and also decrease (due to negligence and sin). We must constantly guard our faith by being devoted to Allah alone and submitting our entire selves to Him. This is the literal meaning of Islam, submission to Allah.

How strange it is that people find it so hard to accept a different point of view from what their fathers taught. How difficult it is to cease from trusting in men and women. How abhorrent to discover one's own father was deceived or that a number of years of one's life has been spent in confusion!

Again, you are 100% correct. People need to stop blindly following their traditions and the way of their forefathers. We need to know what is the truth, and follow only the truth without compromise, even if it means we will have to face many trials and problems. If we face them with perfect faith and trust in Allah, He will come to our aid and make it easy for us. This is why we must only pray to Allah, only He has the power to both hear and answer prayers. Praying to Jesus or anyone else is a futile effort, and is also angering to God.

When it is said to them: "Follow what Allah hath revealed:" They say: "Nay! we shall follow the ways of our fathers." What! even though their fathers were void of wisdom and guidance? (Holy Quran 2:170)

And all praise belongs to Allah, the Lord of the worlds!

Now that was a beautiful post, Abdillah. I really do not disagree with you on these points. I would like to reply without disagreeing to part of your post.
This is the first commandment, not "do not kill", "do not steal", etc. The most important thing is to ensure that you have only One God, the Only God who is Allah. I agree that most Christians are confused about who they are praying to, and what is the role of Jesus. some believe Jesus is a mediator, others say he is God himself, while others say he is one of three gods, all sharing the same essence. The creed of Islam, however, is pure and simple, there is only One God, He has no sons or daughters.

Some people pray to saints or Jesus and think that they are mediating to God on their behalf. They argue that since these people are very pious and righteous, praying to them is alright since God loves them so much and they are dear to Him. If they request Him for something He will undoubtedly give it to them.

However, the Quran says: When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in Me, that they may walk in the right way (2:186)
Part of the reason that Christians have been largely unable to see these things is our fearful insistence that we are right, that we are enlightened, and that if it were not so the universe would surely sprout feathers and fly away. Anything that a man or a group of men says is going to contain errors, including all churches, doctrines, and creeds. If anyone thinks I am attacking Christianity, he forgets that this is the bedrock of enlightenment in Christianity. Since large segments of Christians insist they are infallible representations of truth, I begin countering such sin by confessing that such a thing is not possible and may the one God forgive and enlighten such people as us. This is our testimony, the confession of our faith.

Allah is Al-Haqq, meaning He is the Truth or the Reality. Everything else is "illusory". The Quran says: There is none worthy of devotion other than He (Allah)Everything that exists will perish except His Face (28:88)

The creation of Allah is very magnificent, and is pointing toward Him. The stars, sun, moon, and planets are all making obeisance to Him.

And We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them in vain. That is the opinion of those who disbelieve. And woe unto those who disbelieve, from the Fire! (38:27)

Allah is Al-Khaliq (The Creator), how can He be the Creator if there is no creation? All of Allah's qualities are in operation.

But do not be deluded by anything you see. This world is but an illusion, a mere pastime. Like the Quran says, everything shall perish except His Face. He alone is the Reality, the One to whom all devotion, praise, and glorification is due. Those who realize that Allah is the Only Truth are truly blessed with wisdom.

All original texts do not say god or allah it said Creator(s) singlular and plural

People need to stop blindly following their traditions and the way of their forefathers...
When it is said to them: "Follow what Allah hath revealed:" They say: "Nay! we shall follow the ways of our fathers." What! even though their fathers were void of wisdom and guidance? (Holy Quran 2:170)
In your case, the Qur'an has become a blind tradition from your forefathers, which you follow without any willingness to understand everything that has been learned since. Indeed, 7th-century Arabia was void of wisdom and guidance in many ways, even if it was an improvement over what came before.

Now that was a beautiful post, Abdillah. I really do not disagree with you on these points. I would like to reply without disagreeing to part of your post.
Part of the reason that Christians have been largely unable to see these things is our fearful insistence that we are right, that we are enlightened, and that if it were not so the universe would surely sprout feathers and fly away. Anything that a man or a group of men says is going to contain errors, including all churches, doctrines, and creeds. If anyone thinks I am attacking Christianity, he forgets that this is the bedrock of enlightenment in Christianity. Since large segments of Christians insist they are infallible representations of truth, I begin countering such sin by confessing that such a thing is not possible and may the one God forgive and enlighten such people as us. This is our testimony, the confession of our faith.

I can tell you that knowing who Allah (the One and Only God) is, and what He is like is the focal point of Islam. Allah is the One to whom all our devotion, praise, and glorification is directed to. He is the One whom we must constantly be aware of. The Quran says: Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find contentment (13:28)

Remember, Allah is the One whom we are constantly praying to, constantly trying to get closer to. How can this be if we do not even know who He is and what He expects from us? According to Christianity, the very First Commandment is thus: You shall have no other gods before Me (Exodus 20:3)

Allah is Near, and He is not deaf, He is all-Hearing, having the power to hear your prayers, there is no need for mediation or intercession in that. Imagine there is a person who is directly standing in front of his king at his throne. He wants something from the king, but instead of asking him directly, since the king is right in front of him, he loudly shouts to one of the king's advisors or representatives to convey a certain request to the king! If that sounds absurd to you, than think about how people pray to Jesus, or other saints and prophets arguing that they are asking these people to intercede to God on their behalf. Islam teaches to pray directly to God, since praying and invoking are acts of worship, and all acts of worship must be dedicated to Allah alone.

Praying to other gods or idols angers the One true God. Remember what the bible says: Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God (Exodus 34:14)

Yes you are completely right. We must have a sincere heart and true desire to be close to God. So in this light, obviously we need to try our utmost to please God, by praying to Him alone and following strictly all His commandments. This is the essence of faith. You should also know that faith is not merely a statement of beliefs, faith is much greater than that. Faith can increase (with good deeds and greater devotion) and also decrease (due to negligence and sin). We must constantly guard our faith by being devoted to Allah alone and submitting our entire selves to Him. This is the literal meaning of Islam, submission to Allah.

Again, you are 100% correct. People need to stop blindly following their traditions and the way of their forefathers. We need to know what is the truth, and follow only the truth without compromise, even if it means we will have to face many trials and problems. If we face them with perfect faith and trust in Allah, He will come to our aid and make it easy for us. This is why we must only pray to Allah, only He has the power to both hear and answer prayers. Praying to Jesus or anyone else is a futile effort, and is also angering to God.

And all praise belongs to Allah, the Lord of the worlds![/QUOTE

What if god did incarnate into the human body?

And all praise belongs to Allah, the Lord of the worlds![/QUOTE

What if god did incarnate into the human body?

Jesus is Michael the Archangel

Well, there is a lot you left out about what Jesus and the son of man say;

JN 10:27 My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father's hand.The Father and I are One.

"The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth."

"What I have done that is what you must do, as the Father sent me that is how I send you."

"Once you know all these things ,blessed you will be if you put them into practice."

"If I do not perform my Father's works, do not believe me;
but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, put faith in the works, so that you may realize that the Lord is in me and I am in the Lord.
I am the resurrection and the life; anyone who believes in me, even though he died, he will come to life, and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die.

I am the light of the world. No one who follows me will ever walk in darkness, cause he will possess the light of life. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where he is going.
Once you have the light, keep faith in the light, and you will become a child of light.

Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the One who sent me,
and whoever sees me sees the One who sent me.
I came into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me might not remain in darkness.
And if anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it.
Whoever rejects me and does not accept my words he already has his judge, namely, the word that I have spoken that’s what will condemn him on the last day,
because I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and speak.And since I know that his commandment means eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me."

Back