Question about Hajibs

Serenity

trying to find her path
Reaction score
am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not
i am going to start wearing the hajib as i feel i would like to be modest
i am also wicca but have started to want to learn more about Islam

one thing i dont understand i have seen from pictures of some women who wear the Hajib with there hair line showing and other not
this is confussing to me as am unsure if it is aloud or not

can some one please tell me

Serenity

Hi Serenity,

Since this appears to be strictly a personal choice for you, I'm not sure you need worry too much about minor variations in dress code.

Btw, in some Muslim countries women have historically never worn the hajib and still don't. The dress code appears to be tangentially related to the religion of Islam.

Hi serenity,

Hijab is a part of the bigger "modesty" concept. The issue here is that Islam doesnt want any sexual tension on the streets, or in the workplace. Islam sees marriage as an institution where male & female meet, with some rights & responsiblities in mind, not only for fun (although fun is obviously a part of it :D ). Islam allows sexual tension only among people who are married. As a result Islam tries its best to curb any trend in the society that will give rise to lewdness, & as a result the destruction of this marriage instiution (as we see in the west), which it sees as something sacred. This is the main reason for a dress code to exist.

In this dress code, both men & women are supposed to wear loose clothing that arnt see through. Women are additionally supposed to cover their heads, & their bosoms. As far as head covering is concerned, there is a hadith which says that after puberty, woman shouldnt show anything but her face & hands* . Later on jurists defined face as from hairline above to the angle between head & neck below. So , yes technically speaking, hijab should cover all hair.

Now a days, other than the Islamic version, some women wear hijab for cultural reasons, other as a political statment or a fashoin statment. There must be some who are forced to wear it. So there are many types of hijab around.

-------

*The exceptions are
their husbands, or their fathers, or their husbands' fathers, or their sons, or their husbands' sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or those whom they rightfully possess, or such male attendants as are beyond all sexual desire, or children that are as yet unaware of women's nakedness (Quran 24:31)

thank you both for your replies am now a lot clearer on this
i have bough an Hajib on line today and hope to be getting it on tueday

i dont ever wear clothes that are shows my arms or legs at all as i dont wish for anyone else apart from my husband to see it

thank you both for your replies am now a lot clearer on this

i dont ever wear clothes that are shows my arms or legs at all as i dont wish for anyone else apart from my husband to see it

slam

this is great Q

As moslem woman ,, wearing Hijab I feel that others (especialy men) deal with me in humanity, they touch and recognize my mind and thought not my body,,,Hijab give me more self confidence .

In Islam ..woman like jewel it is worth to keep her sheens away from thieves eyes.

Hijab is not tradition or habit ...it is Islamic tenet to save women as sensitive human

Islam's revealed text, and the traditions (hadith) of the
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). In the Quran, God states: "Say to
the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their
modesty...And say to the believing women that they should lower their
gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty
and adornments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they
should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty
except to their husbands, their fathers...(a list of exceptions)"

[Chapter 24, verses 30-31]

Also, "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...that they should be known and not molested." [Chapter 33, verse 59]

In one tradition, the Prophet Muhammad is quoted as saying: "...If the
woman reaches the age of puberty, no part of her body should be seen but
this --- and he pointed to his face and hands."

From these and other references, the vast majority of Muslim scholars
and jurists, past and present, have determined the minimum requirements
for Muslim women's dress) Clothing must cover the entire body, with
the exception of the face and the hands.) The attire should not be
form fitting, sheer or so eye-catching as to attract undue attention or
reveal the shape of the body.

Allah bless all pure human

Hello again Serenity,

Obviously you should feel free to dress as you wish. I see that as different from dressing in a way that affirms the person's Muslim identity.

Since you are not a Muslim at this time, this is may seem like a somewhat irrelevant point. However, if you consider converting to Islam at some point, I think you should be aware that there is very little scriptural basis (if any) to believe that Islam prescribes a particular dress code for women. You are of course free to search the Koran for anthything that specifically says you should wear Hajib. I don't think you'll find much at all.

Btw, I personally knew a very pious Muslim family from the Middle East and none of the women ever wore "Islamic" dress. I mention this because I think it is important not to mix up the religion with man-made traditions.

Jordan's Queen Rania:

queenrania.jpg

Also, "O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...that they should be known and not molested." [Chapter 33, verse 59]
Um, isn't this making the outer garment covering more a comment about the bad neighborhood than about modesty?

Btw, I personally knew a very pious Muslim family from the Middle East and none of the women ever wore "Islamic" dress. I mention this because I think it is important not to mix up the religion with man-made traditions.
Well, I dont think there is such a thing as Islamic dress, but there definitely are guidelines. One can wear clothes according to the culture/trend, while still following the guidelines. Infact in many European countries, there is a growing demand for Islamic fashion too. Dresses that are modern & stylish, and at the sametime follow the Islamic guidelines.

i am also wicca but have started to want to learn more about Islam

one thing i dont understand i have seen from pictures of some women who wear the Hajib with there hair line showing and other not
this is confussing to me as am unsure if it is aloud or not

can some one please tell me

Serenity

what is it about islam that interest you ?

and there are other ways to be modest with western clothes !

thank you all for me at the moment it is more about modesty than anything else
i will bare in mind that it is culture that decides the dress code and also personal choice

i am in the middle of trying to find my path weather that is Islam or not
i am open minded to all religion

thank you all for me at the moment it is more about modesty than anything else
i will bare in mind that it is culture that decides the dress code and also personal choice

i am in the middle of trying to find my path weather that is Islam or not
i am open minded to all religion

i would advice you to investigate very thoroughly before getting involved in Islam or any religion for that matter, but you see in islam if you ever want to leave then some people will want to kill you as most islamic scholars agree that the punishment for apostasy is death.

i wish well in your search, and i will pray that God will guide you :)

Praise God.

but you see in islam if you ever want to leave then some people will want to kill you as most islamic scholars agree that the punishment for apostasy is death.
Posting live from the grave I guess.

i was raised Catholic was told about god /Allah and Jesus
but i didn't Believe that Jesus was the Son of God /Allah
but that he is a holy man sent to earth to show us the way to loving God/Allah

because of my Belief that i shared with others i was seen as being Blasphemous
I then at the age of 16 left the religion and i have been seeking those who is of the same Belief as me .

This has nothing to do with modesty. The style of dress establishes the woman's Islamic identity in the eyes of other Muslims at a time of conflict with nonMuslims.

In Islam there are two opinions regarding hijab (veil). One opinion is that woman must cover every part of her body except her face and hands. Other opinion is that woman must cover every part of her body, except the eyes in order to see. The second opinion is stronger and has more evidence from Quran and Sunnah to back it up.

Men must also dress modestly, they cannot wear shorts unless they come below the knees, and they cannot wear tight clothes. Men must also ensure their pants are not hanging below their ankles.

i was raised Catholic was told about god /Allah and Jesus
but i didn't Believe that Jesus was the Son of God /Allah
but that he is a holy man sent to earth to show us the way to loving God/Allah

the God of the Christains and Jews YAHWEH is not the same as the muslim god allah they are different.

I think there is a fundamental cultural problem here: In Islamic countries (if I have this right), covering your face is considered modest. However in the West, covering your face means you have something to hide and is considered dishonest - the refuge of bandits and robbers. I wonder how well known this is?

I don't think covering your head with a headscarf should be a problem (see for example 1 Corinthians 11:3-16), but a veil is not our culture and when you go to a Western country you should respect the culture just as western women are expected to respect the culture when they visit Muslim countries.

:cool:

Back