History Repeating Itself?

Faithfulservant

Reaction score
Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts - Times Online

Im wondering if this could be a pivotal step back in establishing civil rights for muslim women. Not only will it create different rules for different people but will this eventually lead to corruption that absolute power tends to promote? It brings to mind the seperation of church and state that the USA has and whether the world would look kindly on the evangelicals establishing their own ruling courts.. funny? maybe... maybe not. We Americans can see the trends that UK establishes soon become trends here at home..

Does history repeat itself? The Church of England was established after seperating from the Catholic church... The corruption still leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of the world.. the result of absolute power...

Step forward? or Step back..?

Is this much different than mediation, where both parties agree to use a mediator rather than a court of law to settle a dispute?

About mediation:

Mediation and Law go hand in hand. The modern and up-to-date lawyers now advise their clients that there is more than one choice to handle their conflicts.
Mediation, a form of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution), is a tool that helps the parties to resolve their disputes

efficiently
fast
economically

Mediation is more than a Negotiation because here a trained and neutral third party assists the disputants to settle their disputes. On this website you will find information both about Mediation and the Law.

timesonline said:
Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

Douglas Murray, the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: “I think it’s appalling. I don’t think arbitration that is done by sharia should ever be endorsed or enforced by the British state.”

There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.

It does seem like a bad idea. I would hope that most women would not agree to give the courts power to rule on their cases.

The change happenned in 1996, an attachment to some bill (or that is how it would happen in the US) institution of arbitration courts for Muslims in domestic disputes. The penalties as I understand it are not allowed to exceed English law. Unless I'm wrong there are 5 courts in existence and two more are now being contemplated hence the recent uproar...

If this is correct where are all the complaints about bad arbitration for the past decade?

Is this much different than mediation, where both parties agree to use a mediator rather than a court of law to settle a dispute?
No. I actually see some improvement in it as often in arbitration/mediation you are forced into this situation. Here they have outs, they can utilize the 'court' of their respective religion, something both parties obviously already accept, or they go on to a sectarian one.

Says the similar system used by Jews have been going on for 100 years?? Where is the outcry?

Back