Rick Wright

Snoopy

Reaction score
...founder member of Pink Floyd has passed away. I'm sure others here have enjoyed their music over the years and will be sorry to hear of his passing.

I would say I saw them at their creative peak (Dark Side / Wish You Were Here); it will remain one of my most treasured concert memories.

Pink Floyd : Rick Wright 1942 - 2008

s.

I'm not sad, I'm happy for him. Why be frightened of dying? Any time will do!

The Floyd's music is wonderful. They've been my favorite group for most of my life. Rick's finally getting to experience the other worlds without having to wake up in the morning again. He's moving on. We may miss the man, but we can celebrate his music ... and his passing.

Birth is sorrow; death is a release, and a doorway ...

"to conquer death you only - have - to - die"

I first saw Pink Floyd as a student in a hall on a university campus in West London, with a couple of hundred others ...

Highlight of the evening was the intermission, when the lights went down, and you heard footsteps come off the stage and walk down the auditorium, out a door ... down a corridor ... after the intermission, a toilet flushed, footsteps along a corridor ... door opens and closes ... footsteps to the front of the auditorium ... lights ... and the band.

That was serious high tech in those days, 'really far out' as we used to say ...

Later memories include Knebworth and Croydon ... somewhat chemically altered, I recall getting on a bus home heading in quite the opposite direction I wanted to go, and not realising until we arrived at the depot. If that had been the US, I'd have ended up in Alaska!

I still play the poppy stuff — 'Arnold Lane', 'See Emily Play', and sometimes abuse 'Bike' as I'm zipping along on my Honda ...

... or chillout to Meddle and its side two: 'Echoes'

Thomas

Dark side of the moon is a classic LP. Wish you were here, what a song!! wow.

Dark side of the moon is a classic LP. Wish you were here, what a song!! wow.

"Wish you were here" wasn't on Dark Side. It was on the album "Wish You Were Here", ironically enough.

Both are great albums. I got into Pink Floyd when a radio station played the entire side one of DSOTM. I just laid on my bed and let the music (and a certain high) blow me away.

But I'm partial to "Animals" myself.

I still play the poppy stuff — 'Arnold Lane', 'See Emily Play', and sometimes abuse 'Bike' as I'm zipping along on my Honda ...

... or chillout to Meddle and its side two: 'Echoes'

Thomas
Sid was quite the character. That is something that makes me sad. But it's part of a learning process; I like to hope he's on the up & up now. He might even have a new, old friend, soon. :)

I think `Live at Pompeii' will always be a favorite for me, both cine and soundtrack. `Music from the Body,' an early one from Roger, is also an amusing album.

Black Glass bootlegs are enjoyable too, Thomas. You might check into them. ;)

I'm not sad, I'm happy for him. Why be frightened of dying? Any time will do!

The Floyd's music is wonderful. They've been my favorite group for most of my life. Rick's finally getting to experience the other worlds without having to wake up in the morning again. He's moving on. We may miss the man, but we can celebrate his music ... and his passing.

Birth is sorrow; death is a release, and a doorway ...

"to conquer death you only - have - to - die"

Great comment. :)

For some reason, Floyd was one of those bands I had difficulty getting into. Sometimes I still play "A Saucer full of Secrets" but that's about it. "Set the controls to the heart of the sun" is always worth playing .

Great comment. :)

For some reason, Floyd was one of those bands I had difficulty getting into. Sometimes I still play "A Saucer full of Secrets" but that's about it. "Set the controls to the heart of the sun" is always worth playing .

Yeah, those early track were kinda spacey, eh? But I also liked the soundtracks for "More" and "Obscured by Clouds". The "Absolutely Curtains", my favorite track on the latter, is out there, especially the 'tribal' singing at the end. But great stuff.

"Wish you were here" wasn't on Dark Side. It was on the album "Wish You Were Here", ironically enough.

I never said wish you were here was on the dark side of the moon LP ironically enough!

I pointed out dark side of the moon was a classic LP, and wish you were here is a classic song!

I thank you.

Wish You Were Here:

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have you found? The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Back