Jesus in a variety of holy books?

blessed2000

Reaction score
Hello. I am beginning to see mention of Jesus in the Qur'an and am now curious of his mention in other Holy books. Does anyone have quotes to offer from other religions texts mentioning the life of Jesus?
Thank you!

Hey there blessed2000, go to this website Ocean - World Religions Free Research Library and download Ocean. There you will have a big collection of holy books from many religions and it is searchable! Here are some (out of many) quotes that you can find out about Jesus from the Baha'i Writings.

XXXVI. Know thou that when the Son of Man yielded up His breath to God, the whole creation wept with a great weeping. By sacrificing Himself, however, a fresh capacity was infused into all created things. Its evidences, as witnessed in all the peoples of the earth, are now manifest before thee. The deepest wisdom which the sages have uttered, the profoundest learning which any mind hath unfolded, the arts which the ablest hands have produced, the influence exerted by the most potent of rulers, are but manifestations of the quickening power released by His transcendent, His all-pervasive, and resplendent Spirit.

We testify that when He came into the world, He shed the splendor of His glory upon all created things. Through Him the leper recovered from the leprosy of perversity and ignorance. Through Him, the unchaste and wayward were healed. Through His power, born of Almighty God, the eyes of the blind were opened, and the soul of the sinner sanctified.

Leprosy may be interpreted as any veil that interveneth between man and the recognition of the Lord, his God. Whoso alloweth himself to be shut out from Him is indeed a leper, who shall not be remembered in the Kingdom of God, the Mighty, the All-Praised. We bear witness that through the power of the Word of God every leper was cleansed, every sickness was healed, every human infirmity was banished. He it is Who purified the world. Blessed is the man who, with a face beaming with light, hath turned towards Him.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 85)

Every discerning observer will recognize that in the Dispensation of the Qur'án both the Book and the Cause of Jesus were confirmed. As to the matter of names, Muhammad, Himself, declared: "I am Jesus." He recognized the truth of the signs, prophecies, and words of Jesus, and testified that they were all of God. In this sense, neither the person of Jesus nor His writings hath differed from that of Muhammad and of His holy Book, inasmuch as both have championed the Cause of God, uttered His praise, and revealed His commandments. Thus it is that Jesus, Himself, declared: "I go away and come again unto you."

Consider the sun. Were it to say now, "I am the sun of yesterday," it would speak the truth. And should it, bearing the sequence of time in mind, claim to be other than that sun, it still would speak the truth. In like manner, if it be said that all the days are but one and the same, it is correct and true. And if it be said, with respect to their particular names and designations, that they differ, that again is true. For though they are the same, yet one doth recognize in each a separate designation, a specific attribute, a particular character. Conceive accordingly the distinction, variation, and unity characteristic of the various Manifestations of holiness, that thou mayest comprehend the allusions made by the Creator of all names and attributes to the mysteries of distinction and unity, and discover the answer to thy question as to why that everlasting Beauty should have, at sundry times, called Himself by different names and titles....

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 21)

XLVII. O Jews! If ye be intent on crucifying once again Jesus, the Spirit of God, put Me to death, for He hath once more, in My person, been made manifest unto you. Deal with Me as ye wish, for I have vowed to lay down My life in the path of God. I will fear no one, though the powers of earth and heaven be leagued against Me. Followers of the Gospel! If ye cherish the desire to slay Muhammad, the Apostle of God, seize Me and put an end to My life, for I am He, and My Self is His Self. Do unto Me as ye like, for the deepest longing of Mine heart is to attain the presence of My Best-Beloved in His Kingdom of Glory. Such is the Divine decree, if ye know it. Followers of Muhammad! If it be your wish to riddle with your shafts the breast of Him Who hath caused His Book the Bayan to be sent down unto you, lay hands on Me and persecute Me, for I am His Well-Beloved, the revelation of His own Self, though My name be not His name. I have come in the shadows of the clouds of glory, and am invested by God with invincible sovereignty. He, verily, is the Truth, the Knower of things unseen. I, verily, anticipate from you the treatment ye have accorded unto Him that came before Me. To this all things, verily, witness, if ye be of those who hearken. O people of the Bayan! If ye have resolved to shed the blood of Him Whose coming the Báb hath proclaimed, Whose advent Muhammad hath prophesied, and Whose Revelation Jesus Christ Himself hath announced, behold Me standing, ready and defenseless, before you. Deal with Me after your own desires.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 101)

Hello. I am beginning to see mention of Jesus in the Qur'an and am now curious of his mention in other Holy books. Does anyone have quotes to offer from other religions texts mentioning the life of Jesus?
Thank you!
Not quotes, but can say that there are several faiths after Christianity that bring Jesus into play. Islam, Bah'ai, Rastafari, Moon ministries, Jehovah's witnesses, Scientologists, some out of main stream areas like Rosicrucians, Masons, and others I can't immediately call to mind.

Hello Sean H., I'm sorry that I got so carried away researching that I neglected to go back to the forum to thank you. Thank you!

I am helping a retired minister write. He wants to accurately represent any connections of finding truth in Jesus or looking to the original Holy Scriptures for truth stated in other religions.

I am enjoying the research and thank you for your help.
If you know of any other places to search or have any specific quotes from non-Christian Holy Books, I'd love to read more!
Sincerely,
Blessed 2000

Hey there blessed2000, go to this website Ocean - World Religions Free Research Library and download Ocean. There you will have a big collection of holy books from many religions and it is searchable! Here are some (out of many) quotes that you can find out about Jesus from the Baha'i Writings.

XXXVI. Know thou that when the Son of Man yielded up His breath to God, the whole creation wept with a great weeping. By sacrificing Himself, however, a fresh capacity was infused into all created things. Its evidences, as witnessed in all the peoples of the earth, are now manifest before thee. The deepest wisdom which the sages have uttered, the profoundest learning which any mind hath unfolded, the arts which the ablest hands have produced, the influence exerted by the most potent of rulers, are but manifestations of the quickening power released by His transcendent, His all-pervasive, and resplendent Spirit.

We testify that when He came into the world, He shed the splendor of His glory upon all created things. Through Him the leper recovered from the leprosy of perversity and ignorance. Through Him, the unchaste and wayward were healed. Through His power, born of Almighty God, the eyes of the blind were opened, and the soul of the sinner sanctified.

Leprosy may be interpreted as any veil that interveneth between man and the recognition of the Lord, his God. Whoso alloweth himself to be shut out from Him is indeed a leper, who shall not be remembered in the Kingdom of God, the Mighty, the All-Praised. We bear witness that through the power of the Word of God every leper was cleansed, every sickness was healed, every human infirmity was banished. He it is Who purified the world. Blessed is the man who, with a face beaming with light, hath turned towards Him.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 85)

Every discerning observer will recognize that in the Dispensation of the Qur'án both the Book and the Cause of Jesus were confirmed. As to the matter of names, Muhammad, Himself, declared: "I am Jesus." He recognized the truth of the signs, prophecies, and words of Jesus, and testified that they were all of God. In this sense, neither the person of Jesus nor His writings hath differed from that of Muhammad and of His holy Book, inasmuch as both have championed the Cause of God, uttered His praise, and revealed His commandments. Thus it is that Jesus, Himself, declared: "I go away and come again unto you."

Consider the sun. Were it to say now, "I am the sun of yesterday," it would speak the truth. And should it, bearing the sequence of time in mind, claim to be other than that sun, it still would speak the truth. In like manner, if it be said that all the days are but one and the same, it is correct and true. And if it be said, with respect to their particular names and designations, that they differ, that again is true. For though they are the same, yet one doth recognize in each a separate designation, a specific attribute, a particular character. Conceive accordingly the distinction, variation, and unity characteristic of the various Manifestations of holiness, that thou mayest comprehend the allusions made by the Creator of all names and attributes to the mysteries of distinction and unity, and discover the answer to thy question as to why that everlasting Beauty should have, at sundry times, called Himself by different names and titles....

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 21)

XLVII. O Jews! If ye be intent on crucifying once again Jesus, the Spirit of God, put Me to death, for He hath once more, in My person, been made manifest unto you. Deal with Me as ye wish, for I have vowed to lay down My life in the path of God. I will fear no one, though the powers of earth and heaven be leagued against Me. Followers of the Gospel! If ye cherish the desire to slay Muhammad, the Apostle of God, seize Me and put an end to My life, for I am He, and My Self is His Self. Do unto Me as ye like, for the deepest longing of Mine heart is to attain the presence of My Best-Beloved in His Kingdom of Glory. Such is the Divine decree, if ye know it. Followers of Muhammad! If it be your wish to riddle with your shafts the breast of Him Who hath caused His Book the Bayan to be sent down unto you, lay hands on Me and persecute Me, for I am His Well-Beloved, the revelation of His own Self, though My name be not His name. I have come in the shadows of the clouds of glory, and am invested by God with invincible sovereignty. He, verily, is the Truth, the Knower of things unseen. I, verily, anticipate from you the treatment ye have accorded unto Him that came before Me. To this all things, verily, witness, if ye be of those who hearken. O people of the Bayan! If ye have resolved to shed the blood of Him Whose coming the Báb hath proclaimed, Whose advent Muhammad hath prophesied, and Whose Revelation Jesus Christ Himself hath announced, behold Me standing, ready and defenseless, before you. Deal with Me after your own desires.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 101)

Thank you!

You'll tend to find a lot of movements reference Jesus in retrospect - it's hard to ignore the influence of the figure, especially when so many movements source themselves directly from either Christianity or Islam, or a synthesis of both.

You probably already have this but there are of course many references to Jesus in apocryphal and gnostic sources, especially the Nag Hammadi Library:

The Gnosis Archive: Resources on Gnosticism and Gnostic Tradition

There's also a well known book in print called The Muslim Jesus Saings and Stories in Islamic Literature edited and translated by Jarif Khalidi.

- Art:)

Hello Arthra,
Thank you, and I did not have the information mentioned. I have been around people of various backgrounds and beliefs, but have not studied much beyond looking up a few passages mentioned in conversation.

As with the study of cultures, I know that the best way to learn of my own beliefs and assumptions is to study those which differ from mine. While helping my friend write, I am blessed with learning...

Thank you, again. I will enjoy reading.
I pray that you are blessed.

You'll tend to find a lot of movements reference Jesus in retrospect - it's hard to ignore the influence of the figure, especially when so many movements source themselves directly from either Christianity or Islam, or a synthesis of both.

Thank you for the response. I will continue to search for the Holy Books to which you might be referring.

Thank you!
A statement of Jesus found in the Holy Book Ramayana of the religion Hinduism of India which is written
1600 years before Jesus.
Jesus said one who looks at a woman with lust commits adultery with that woman, that is adultery of the mind is a sin. "Mathew 5/27-28. "You have heard that it was said, "Do not commit adultery. But I tell you anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart."
I want to point out that this law which Jesus declared as if a new moral law was invented by Jesus was actually in popular in the age old ancient Indian societies even before Abraham was born or before Jews came into existence. The main religion of India is Hinduism numbering about 1 billion members. In"Ramayana" the Holy book of Hinduism, which is written in the year 1600 B.C by sage Valmiki, there is an incident where King Sri Rama, the incarnation of the Hindu God Vishnu, when publicly abandoned her wife Sita accusing her of committing adultery with another man, Sita vows to Sri Rama that she had never commited adultery, even in words,in mind and in body. The words of Sita reflects all the laws regarding adultery prevalent in the ancient India.So adultery in mind is a sin. But who said first? Jesus or Sita? In fact Sita said this 1600 years before Jesus. So who copied this law?
From Sebastian Munjanattu Dominic. ( I am from India and I am a Christian Catholic)

I recommend The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ, by Nicholas Notovich. I pulled my copy off the bookshelf recently and will be looking through it again soon. Notovich's text, while questions remain as to accuracy, will certainly point the serious researcher in the right direction ... AWAY from the ecclesiasists. We know that Jesus of Nazareth traveled eastward, reaching India and Tibet, spending time with enlightened Buddhist and Hindu Teachers. I wonder what it all was about ...

A statement of Jesus found in the Holy Book Ramayana of the religion Hinduism of India which is written
1600 years before Jesus.
Jesus said one who looks at a woman with lust commits adultery with that woman, that is adultery of the mind is a sin. "Mathew 5/27-28. "You have heard that it was said, "Do not commit adultery. But I tell you anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart."
I want to point out that this law which Jesus declared as if a new moral law was invented by Jesus was actually in popular in the age old ancient Indian societies even before Abraham was born or before Jews came into existence. The main religion of India is Hinduism numbering about 1 billion members. In"Ramayana" the Holy book of Hinduism, which is written in the year 1600 B.C by sage Valmiki, there is an incident where King Sri Rama, the incarnation of the Hindu God Vishnu, when publicly abandoned her wife Sita accusing her of committing adultery with another man, Sita vows to Sri Rama that she had never commited adultery, even in words,in mind and in body. The words of Sita reflects all the laws regarding adultery prevalent in the ancient India.So adultery in mind is a sin. But who said first? Jesus or Sita? In fact Sita said this 1600 years before Jesus. So who copied this law?
From Sebastian Munjanattu Dominic. ( I am from India and I am a Christian Catholic)
The finding of ones own true opposite really gets rid of that. Its true love that lasts for all infinity and one will never be lonely again......:) and nothing will be missing in any aspect of the word.

I recommend The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ, by Nicholas Notovich. I pulled my copy off the bookshelf recently and will be looking through it again soon. Notovich's text, while questions remain as to accuracy, will certainly point the serious researcher in the right direction ... AWAY from the ecclesiasists. We know that Jesus of Nazareth traveled eastward, reaching India and Tibet, spending time with enlightened Buddhist and Hindu Teachers. I wonder what it all was about ...
Ones own true opposite will never forsake them.....kindness, forgiveness, understanding , compassion .....these things all exist with that person. And all of these come from love.

While they are not strictly non-Christian texts, there are a little-known corpus of texts known as the Jesus Sutras which are manuscripts of the Chinese branch of the Assyrian Church of the East, written in the Chinese language. They are heavily influenced by Chinese culture, and include the use of Buddhist and Taoist terminology.

Well as a Catholic, I wish there were, as that would add evidence to our argument.

Of course, most come after Jesus, the 'Moslem Gospel', for example.

Interestingly, some of the things attributed to Christ in that text had already been refuted by mainstream Christianity (that the baby Jesus conversed with people from the moment of His birth, for example). Then again, Mohammed's Christian neighbours were Nestorians, who had separated from the main body of orthodoxy over theological points. One theologian pointed out that had Mohammed heard of the Doctrine of the Trinity from an Orthodox and not a Nestorian source, then maybe there might not have been so much misunderstanding between the two traditions.

Of course, most come after Jesus, the 'Moslem Gospel', for example.

It would be truly amazing indeed, if any religious texts quoted Jesus directly prior to his being born. By that I am not including prophetic texts that have vague references that *can* be translated as pointing to Jesus, but of quoting His sayings before He is born. Even in the Bible, the closest one will find is the 23rd Psalm...and that is *usually* interpreted as Jesus quoting the Psalm as He gave up the ghost.

Interestingly, some of the things attributed to Christ in that text had already been refuted by mainstream Christianity (that the baby Jesus conversed with people from the moment of His birth, for example). Then again, Mohammed's Christian neighbours were Nestorians, who had separated from the main body of orthodoxy over theological points. One theologian pointed out that had Mohammed heard of the Doctrine of the Trinity from an Orthodox and not a Nestorian source, then maybe there might not have been so much misunderstanding between the two traditions.

Devil's advocate for a moment, only to point to the logic to counter the rhetoric. Had the Nestorians *won out* and assumed the ascendency rather than the Athanasian faction...there might not be so much misunderstanding between Muslims and Christians either. ;) That is one of the perils of "what if?" games...

The main point is who is jesus? Jesus is the jewish gematria 888 which refers to the human being being raised up to immortality and oneness of body soul and spirit. When you get into advanced studies anyone in history who has attained this union can be called jesus. The name jesus is translated from the hebrew to the greek as a number. Each jewish letter has numerical signifigance. The question is who was the man named jesus? Was he Michael the Archangel incarnated into the human body or god himself?

I suppose he was Emmanuel (God is with us).

One thing I do know for sure aside from the basic truths is that the Creator(s) are the ones who open revelation seals and that the one seen on earth opening the seals is literally GOD.

Back