Gods name

M

mee

Different scholars have different ideas about how the name YHWH was originally pronounced.
In The Mysterious Name of Y.H.W.H., page 74, Dr. M. Reisel said that the "vocalisation of the Tetragrammaton must originally have been YeHuàH or YaHuàH."

Canon D. D. Williams of Cambridge held that the "evidence indicates, nay almost proves, that Jahwéh was not the true pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton . . . The Name itself was probably JAHÔH."—Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft (Periodical for Old Testament Knowledge), 1936, Volume 54, page 269.

In the glossary of the French Revised Segond Version, page 9, the following comment is made: "The pronunciation Yahvé used in some recent translations is based on a few ancient witnesses, but they are not conclusive.

If one takes into account personal names that include the divine name, such as the Hebrew name of the prophet Elijah (Eliyahou) the pronunciation might just as well be Yaho or Yahou."

In 1749 the German Bible scholar Teller told of some different pronunciations of God's name he had read: "Diodorus from Sicily, Macrobius, Clemens Alexandrinus, Saint Jerome and Origenes wrote Jao;

the Samaritans, Epiphanius, Theodoretus, Jahe, or Jave; Ludwig Cappel reads Javoh; Drusius, Jahve; Hottinger, Jehva; Mercerus, Jehovah; Castellio, Jovah; and le Clerc, Jawoh, or Javoh."

Thus it is evident that the original pronunciation of God's name is no longer known.

Nor is it really important. If it were, then God himself would have made sure that it was preserved for us to use.
The important thing is to use God's name according to its conventional pronunciation in our own language.

Which Pronunciation Will You Use?

Is it, then, wrong to use a form like Yahweh? Not at all.

It is just that the form Jehovah is likely to meet with a quicker response from the reader because it is the form that has been "naturalized" into most languages.

The important thing is that we use the name and declare it to others. "Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high ISAIAH 12;4

The important thing is to use God's name according to its conventional pronunciation in our own language.
Ah! The crux of the matter...do it our way (our own language), or do it G-d's way (G-d's own language)? Try the best we can to see G-d as G-d is, or create G-d in an image we prefer?

It is just that the form Jehovah is likely to meet with a quicker response from the reader because it is the form that has been "naturalized" into most languages.
In JW literature, it probably has. Just as in Jewish literature "G!d" has been naturalized into most languages, in Baptist literature "God" has been naturalized into most languages, in Catholic literature "God" has been naturalized into most languages. In most of the Christian denoms other renditions of G-d's name such as Adonai, Lord, Lord of Hosts, etc. have also been naturalized into most languages. So this is pretty much a moot point that the form "Jehovah" has been naturalized into most languages...it is dependent on the denomination and cultural norms.

The important thing is that we use the name and declare it to others.
Agreed.

In the glossary of the French Revised Segond Version, page 9, the following comment is made: "The pronunciation Yahvé used in some recent translations is based on a few ancient witnesses, but they are not conclusive.

If one takes into account personal names that include the divine name, such as the Hebrew name of the prophet Elijah (Eliyahou) the pronunciation might just as well be Yaho or Yahou."

Yahoo! as the name of God?? Surely not??

Define originally. I thought originally it wasn't pronounced. Lord or Adonai was used instead.

a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong to say the divine name out loud;

i must say i havent read that one in the bible , :) in fact it says quite the opposite, it informs people to make his name known and to bring it to the fore.
so when they came to it in their Bible reading they uttered the Hebrew word 'Adho·nai' ("Sovereign Lord").

Further, as time went by, the ancient Hebrew language itself ceased to be spoken in everyday conversation, and in this way the original Hebrew pronunciation of God's name was eventually forgotten.

superstitious ideas are not good ,they go against Gods purpose to bring his name to the fore

Yahoo! as the name of God?? Surely not??
best to stick to the bible :)

That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.​
psalm 83;18

God pronounced his own name, repeating it in the hearing of Moses.

Moses wrote an account of that event that has been preserved in the Bible down to our day. EXODUS 34;5 God even wrote his name with his own "finger." When he had given Moses what we today call the Ten Commandments, God miraculously wrote them down.

The record says: "Now as soon as [God] had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai he proceeded to give Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone written on by God's finger." EXODUS 31;18 God's name appears eight times in the original Ten Commandments. EXODUS 20;1-17 so God himself has revealed his name to man both verbally and in writing.

So, what is that name?
In the Hebrew language it is written
yhwh.gif
. These four letters, called the Tetragrammaton, are read from right to left in Hebrew and can be represented in many modern languages as YHWH or JHVH. God's name, represented by these four consonants, appears almost 7,000 times in the original "Old Testament," or Hebrew Scriptures.

It's not though lol...... And you say it doesn't matter to call him by other forms???? Yet you say it is wrong to call him LORD, The Lord, GOD, or whatever? How do you justify that? I can't see how you can with a lack of accuracy make YHWH to jehovah... And say that is cool but for someone to call him "god" or "lord" isn't ok.... Forgive me all if I am wrong but that just comes across as very hypocritical.. And If you have 'Exclusive' rights to make up the rules and name of god... :/

It's not though lol...... And you say it doesn't matter to call him by other forms???? Yet you say it is wrong to call him LORD, The Lord, GOD, or whatever? How do you justify that? I can't see how you can with a lack of accuracy make YHWH to jehovah... And say that is cool but for someone to call him "god" or "lord" isn't ok.... Forgive me all if I am wrong but that just comes across as very hypocritical.. And If you have 'Exclusive' rights to make up the rules and name of god... :/

lord and God are titles they do not contain the consonents

In the Hebrew language it is written
yhwh.gif
. These four letters, called the Tetragrammaton, are read from right to left in Hebrew and can be represented in many modern languages as YHWH or JHVH. God's name, represented by these four consonants, appears almost 7,000 times in the original "Old Testament," or Hebrew Scriptures.

Ooooh, ok I see so it has to have Hebrew tetragrammaton? Ok I think I am understanding what you mean... So If I make a pseudo Hebrew name that would be acceptable? Praise YaHaWaHa :D

that is nearly like the Cantonese - Yehwowah.

mee is English so i use JEHOVAH

[SIZE=-1]Forms of the divine name in different languages, indicating international acceptance of the form Jehovah[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Awabakal - Yehóa
Bugotu - Jihova
Cantonese - Yehwowah
Danish - Jehova
Dutch - Jehovah
Efik - Jehovah
English - Jehovah
Fijian - Jiova
Finnish - Jehova
French - Jéhovah
Futuna - Ihova
German - Jehova
Hungarian - Jehova
Igbo - Jehova
Italian - Geova
Japanese - Ehoba
Maori - Ihowa
Motu - Iehova
Mwala-Malu - Jihova
Narrinyeri - Jehovah
Nembe - Jihova
Petats - Jihouva
Polish - Jehowa
Portuguese - Jeová
Romanian - Iehova
Samoan - Ieova
Sotho - Jehova
Spanish - Jehová
Swahili - Yehova
Swedish - Jehova
Tahitian - Iehova
Tagalog - Jehova
Tongan - Jihova
Venda - Yehova
Xhosa - uYehova
Yoruba - Jehofah
Zulu - uJehova
[/SIZE]

Interesting...

-----------------------------------------
Have you been taught to use God's name, Jehovah? If not, your salvation is in jeopardy, for "everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved"! -- Acts 2:21; compare Joel 2:32.

You ever read that article?..

Interesting...

Have you been taught to use God's name, Jehovah? If not, your salvation is in jeopardy, for "everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved"! -- Acts 2:21; compare Joel 2:32.

You ever read that article?..
good verses there :) very true

knowing is what it is all about:) which brings John 17;3 to mind

This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.

Back