Jesus, Father, Buddha, and Dhamma

earl

?
Reaction score
Just ran across a line from a Buddhist sutra related to the Buddha's teachings in which it was said that he said:
"He who sees me, sees the Dhamma.
He who sees the Dhamma, sees me."

Immediately thought of Jesus' comment in John 14:
"He who sees me, sees the Father."

Draw your own comparative conclusions.;):) earl

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. (1 John 4)

Today's sermon was about the ten commandments. Interestingly, our priest called them "the path to enlightenment." :D

Buddha is christ, but has grown a beard!?

Heh, I think it shows that humanity always seeks, it see's it's problems it sees the pain and suffereing and it wants somone to follow, or someone to aspire to, a hero of sorts, You have this one man here, called gautama siddharta he has a way and a path it will set you good with the world (well it will improve your self and if all went by it, it would improve the world.) He gathered followers, who then after his passing changed it, modifed it and argued amongst one another about his teachings, you then have this other man Jesus of Nazareth, he too had "all of the above." While you're on it you also have krishna!!! Some interesting comparisions can be connected easily between him and the other two... Specially jesus.. But keeping it buddhism, christianity, there is lots you can see which look so simular..

You have the example you have given, you also have Karma... Do good and good will happen to you, do bad and bad will happen to you blah de blah, blah. And The bible? Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged.. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven...." But this can be seen in any religion... Basic rules and commands...(ugh I opened it up again...) [closes it back] So buddhism and Christianity you can see that the basic rules are identical...

Udana-Varga 5:18 "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." OH... so....

Matthew 7:12 "“All things, therefore, that YOU want men to do to YOU, YOU also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean."

There is this overflowing lesson of love, joy, peace, justice, meditation and reflection, and life after death that run right trhough both of them.... And, some buddhists (like christians) believe in a return of their teacher... "miroku" :)

I see loads of connections between the two, but as some would say that this is cause jesus is buddha! I've seen that before, I don't think it is at all, it's just we thrive on this stuff... It is a story of hope, of growing, improving, and becoming better people.... And that is what people want and need :)

Perhaps it is simply a story that changes slightly and gets handed down generation to generation, culture to culture.. And it differes and it molds itself to "fit in" and offer comfort and relate with it's followers... I dunno, maybe it is... But alot of people put stock in it, and perhaps as some say all ways of love and religion lead to the same place, and perhaps they do, seeing as all these teachings seem to be from the same teacher.. (and I do not mean jesus or buddha...)

Not much going on in the forums.... So I felt like typing at least something... Heh, what, I like the sound of my keyboard going click, click, clicky, thud thud, click....

Luna-Christ as path to enlightenment? Sure, why not? I believe both Jesus and Gautama were about affecting the quality of consciousness/awareness, both in this life and in the life to come. For me, Jesus Christ is not about ensuring some form of survival of consciousness post-death as that is almost certainly a "fact of life-death," but rather to affect the quality of that conscious awareness and in that regard my view of "salvation" is markedly different than most Christians. Alex-I'd tend to agree that Buddha & Jesus' insights and teachings are quite similar because they saw far deeper into reality tha most and as a result saw some similar things. earl

well, as u probably know, dhamma(pali) does not just mean Buddha's teachings... the word dharma (skr) can also mean... truth, righteousness...

Just ran across a line from a Buddhist sutra related to the Buddha's teachings in which it was said that he said:

Immediately thought of Jesus' comment in John 14:
"He who sees me, sees the Father."

Well the Baha'i view is that both the Buddha and Jesus Christ were Manifestatiosn of God and so Both reflect His attributes.. So when Jesus is saying "He who sees me, sees the Father" it means God's attributes are perfectly reflected in Him and the same would be true of the Buddha in our view.

- Art:)

Well the Baha'i view is that both the Buddha and Jesus Christ were Manifestatiosn of God and so Both reflect His attributes.. So when Jesus is saying "He who sees me, sees the Father" it means God's attributes are perfectly reflected in Him and the same would be true of the Buddha in our view.

- Art:)
Yes, Art, I tend to view it somewhat similarly. Buddhists also tend to view that beings they term buddhas are the physical manifestation of Dharma-the full physical manifestation of Dharmic truth. In a way, Christians are saying the same thing about Jesus relative to "the Father." earl

John 8:31-36 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Truth--Dhamma, slave of sin--attached to kleshas, freedom--liberation...

John 8:31-36 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

33 They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Truth--Dhamma, slave of sin--attached to kleshas, freedom--liberation...
Yes, I think that they are speaking a similar language here. "A son abiding forever" reminds me of the Buddhist view of awakening/enlightenment-that that term is applied to one who has fully awakened to the true nature of things and, as a result, is "forever" freed from a deluded mind.:) earl

Good comparison, however I think we should make clear Jesus is not Buddah, both were different men, we could infer from that sentence that both had the same emanation of truth in them and that makes them one in the Father, and the Father is one in both of them.

Yes, I think that they are speaking a similar language here. "A son abiding forever" reminds me of the Buddhist view of awakening/enlightenment-that that term is applied to one who has fully awakened to the true nature of things and, as a result, is "forever" freed from a deluded mind.:) earl

As long as you continue singing in the Obama choir you won't have to worry about freedom from the deluded mind. :)

As long as you continue singing in the Obama choir you won't have to worry about freedom from the deluded mind. :)
Gee, I didn't know that this was actually a thread that should have been entitled "Jesus, Father, Buddha, Dhamma, and Obama." :D earl

Gee, I didn't know that this was actually a thread that should have been entitled "Jesus, Father, Buddha, Dhamma, and Obama." :D earl

Aren't you concerned for appearing racist for not automatically including the modern messiah especially since he is a Harvard graduate? Jesus didn't do that so was eductionally challenged. :D

Nick, Obama won. Get over it. Don't try to make every thread about the guy.:) earl

Nick, Obama won. Get over it. Don't try to make every thread about the guy.:) earl

You wrote:

Once you begin practicing with the choir again you will remember that this is a prediction of the coming of Obama: the modern messiah. You now doubt he is the Dhamma? Hidden racism perhaps. Hmmmmm.........

You wrote:

Once you begin practicing with the choir again you will remember that this is a prediction of the coming of Obama: the modern messiah. You now doubt he is the Dhamma? Hidden racism perhaps. Hmmmmm.........
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: oh Jesus...Father forgive him he knows not what he does...Yeah, Gautama, mindfulness, mindfulness...per Dhamma, perhaps he's my karma.:D:cool: earl

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: oh Jesus...Father forgive him he knows not what he does...Yeah, Gautama, mindfulness, mindfulness...per Dhamma, perhaps he's my karma.:D:cool: earl

I am your personal bodhisattva and have postponed Nirvana so as to teach you the error of your ways and how, when you continue with the choir, you too can finally experience nirvana by accepting Obama as your personal messiah. He will show you the way. See how I suffer for you. :D

Seriously, Nick, I suspect many of this forum's citizens probably feel like I do whether they're pro-Oabama or not: alternately amused by your Obama obsession and annoyed that you try to interject him into any thread whether it relates to him or not. It really is not appropriate to do so unless the thread topic at least in some arcanely tangential manner relates to him. I personally issue a challenge: let's see you get through a week without mentioning his name here. earl

Seriously, Nick, I suspect many of this forum's citizens probably feel like I do whether they're pro-Oabama or not: alternately amused by your Obama obsession and annoyed that you try to interject him into any thread whether it relates to him or not. It really is not appropriate to do so unless the thread topic at least in some arcanely tangential manner relates to him. I personally issue a challenge: let's see you get through a week without mentioning his name here. earl

It does relate. I'm the only one stressing the difference between secular and transcendent Interfaith. There is no way to secularize comparing what Jesus and Buddha said. They can only be reconciled at a higher level. But secularism has dumbed us down so much that we actually try and secularize it. This is why I introduced Obama.as the ultimate secular interjection.

I can show you similarities between Buddha and Einstein.

Einstein and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings

Scroll down until you see parallel sayings. I'm the only one defending the eventual unification of religion and science? What Jesus, Buddha, and science proves can all be reconciled from a higher perspective. The point is that of course Jesus and Buddha are saying the same thing but what does it mean? Can it mean anything to you beyond the domain of secularism and its selective mindsets?.

Back