Yoga

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
I have started taking 'fitness yoga' and find that I like it quite a lot. I take two classes a week, one of which is actually split between yoga and pilates. I'd like to include more yoga in my fitness routine but I'd like to understand more about it first.

First, I've heard that 'real' yoga should be done in a very warm room. Is that true or necessary? I think it would make me sick to exercise like that in a very warm room.

Second, I'd like a yoga routine that maximizes strength and flexibility and also includes a bit of meditative practice. How would I go about finding or developing such a routine for myself. Is there a certain kind of yoga studio or class I should look for?

Third, I'd especially love to have the physical yoga moves combined with Christian contemplative prayer, if such a thing is possible. Has anyone ever heard of "Christian yoga?"

Third, I'd especially love to have the physical yoga moves combined with Christian contemplative prayer, if such a thing is possible. Has anyone ever heard of "Christian yoga?"

CHristian Yoga does exist, but Yoga is really a Hindu practice IMO, why not just do Pilates ?

I have started taking 'fitness yoga' and find that I like it quite a lot. I take two classes a week, one of which is actually split between yoga and pilates. I'd like to include more yoga in my fitness routine but I'd like to understand more about it first.

First, I've heard that 'real' yoga should be done in a very warm room. Is that true or necessary? I think it would make me sick to exercise like that in a very warm room.
Yes. It depends, of course, upon what you mean by a 'very warm' room. 75° might work well for you. I prefer 80+°.

Second, I'd like a yoga routine that maximizes strength and flexibility and also includes a bit of meditative practice. How would I go about finding or developing such a routine for myself. Is there a certain kind of yoga studio or class I should look for?
I would highly recommend Iyengar yoga. Your girls would probably love to try some of the postures, as well.

I would concentrate on learning and practicing the asanas, paying attention to and learning to listen to your body first. Once you become proficient, then you can start to incorporate some of the asanas into your contemplative prayer. :)

CHristian Yoga does exist, but Yoga is really a Hindu practice IMO, why not just do Pilates ?
GtoG-there's this view to consider:
Christian Yoga by Dan Wakefield -- Beliefnet.com

Lunamoth-combining contemplative prayer perhaps in tune with the rhythms of the breath as it flows through your body, (allowing for mindfulness of the body in the process) sounds like a great idea. earl

luna, it starts with yoga and then, before you know it, you'll be worshipping an elephant-headed deity. I just want to save your soul from eternal damnation, that's all. Please think very carefully!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/6972070.stm

s.

luna, it starts with yoga and then, before you know it, you'll be worshipping an elephant-headed deity. I just want to save your soul from eternal damnation, that's all. Please think very carefully!

BBC NEWS | England | Somerset | Church bans toddlers' yoga group

s.

I am moved by your concern for my soul Snoopy. I can see how baby yoga is really a subversive attempt to lure the innocent off the one true path. What I need to know is "where are their mothers?" while such heathen practices are going on?

GtoG-there's this view to consider:
Christian Yoga by Dan Wakefield -- Beliefnet.com

Lunamoth-combining contemplative prayer perhaps in tune with the rhythms of the breath as it flows through your body, (allowing for mindfulness of the body in the process) sounds like a great idea. earl

Thank you earl! An Episcopal priest who has written books about Christian yoga...I will be looking into that!

Those nutty Episcopalians! ;-)

Yes. It depends, of course, upon what you mean by a 'very warm' room. 75° might work well for you. I prefer 80+°.

I would highly recommend Iyengar yoga. Your girls would probably love to try some of the postures, as well.

I would concentrate on learning and practicing the asanas, paying attention to and learning to listen to your body first. Once you become proficient, then you can start to incorporate some of the asanas into your contemplative prayer. :)

"Yoga is not a religion, yoga is the science of religions" B.K.S. Iyengar (Light on Yoga)

Thank you seattlegal, I will look more into this. I'm not sure at all about the 80 plus degrees though!

A a Christian why would I want partake in other Spiritual Traditions ?

Jesus is enough !

But on the other hand this thread is in the Secular Section, so I will shut up now :)

I see a lot of similarity between different spiritual traditions. Integrating mind, body and spirit is important to me, and I'm not into aceticism. Connecting prayer with a physical discipline that is healthy seems like a good thing to me. :)

"Yoga is not a religion, yoga is the science of religions" B.K.S. Iyengar (Light on Yoga)

So, one more to support:"Yoga is not a religion, but an aid to the practice of the basic spiritual truths in all religions. Yoga can be practised by a christian or a Buddhist, a Parsee, a Mohammedan, a Sufi or an atheist." - Swami Sivananda, from The Bliss Divine.

Just been in the Sivanada Yoga Retreat in teh Bahamas, and indeed, I found there Christians, Jews, Muslems, Buddhists, Hindis and atheists. This is what interfaith is all about isnt it? They have an interfaith festival as well, you can check their site (look for Sivananda and Bahams, it pops up)...Well I guess that generally it doesnt really matter...as long as you practice !!

So, one more to support:"Yoga is not a religion, but an aid to the practice of the basic spiritual truths in all religions. Yoga can be practised by a christian or a Buddhist, a Parsee, a Mohammedan, a Sufi or an atheist." - Swami Sivananda, from The Bliss Divine.

Just been in the Sivanada Yoga Retreat in teh Bahamas, and indeed, I found there Christians, Jews, Muslems, Buddhists, Hindis and atheists. This is what interfaith is all about isnt it? They have an interfaith festival as well, you can check their site (look for Sivananda and Bahams, it pops up)...Well I guess that generally it doesnt really matter...as long as you practice !!

Welcome to RF karmatika. :)

I have changed my mind about Yoga.

I went to a class the other day it was really good, hard work but good and I did so much poo the next day :)

Back