Cannibalism and Sadmasochistic Imagery in Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Dude

On several occasions I have investigated Christianity and given serious thought to becoming a Christian but every time I come to the same stumbling block.

With its ritual cannibalism and the image of a crucified Jesus Christianity seems far too morbid for me.

I think my aversion to cannibalism is self explanatory and further this aversion is both natural and good.

As for the image of a crucified Jesus being displayed so prominently in churches that seems wrong to me also. To show and worship in front Jesus depicted in such in such a horrible state strikes me as being in very bad taste to say the least. It would be like if a good friend of mine died as he was mangled in a cart accident and then remembering him as a mutilated corpse.

Shouldn't Jesus be respected more?

On several occasions I have investigated Christianity and given serious thought to becoming a Christian but every time I come to the same stumbling block.

With its ritual cannibalism and the image of a crucified Jesus Christianity seems far too morbid for me.

I think my aversion to cannibalism is self explanatory and further this aversion is both natural and good.

As for the image of a crucified Jesus being displayed so prominently in churches that seems wrong to me also. To show and worship in front Jesus depicted in such in such a horrible state strikes me as being in very bad taste to say the least. It would be like if a good friend of mine died as he was mangled in a cart accident and then remembering him as a mutilated corpse.

The flock need a constant reminder of the consequences of "bucking the system", of course they cannot get rid of that!!

tao

YES I AGREE , which brings to my mind the way people hang a cross round their necks, if a loved one of ours was killed by someone with a Gun or a knife would we hand the weapon round our necks to remember them by .

YES I AGREE , which brings to my mind the way people hang a cross round their necks, if a loved one of ours was killed by someone with a Gun or a knife would we hand the weapon round our necks to remember them by .

And while we're at it let's periodically pretend like we are eating his corpse.

What could be more morbid?

This is my body and this is my blood......:eek:

The bread being the body and the wine or cordial being the blood.

That one of my pet peeves: the belief that the communion is cannibalism. Jesus was symbolic for a LAMB, but no one could eat human flesh, so they ate bread in its place as the flesh of the lamb that was used in sacrifices. When they had animal sacrifices, it was plainly said that they ate the meat of the lamb after the blood was drained out and the fat was burned after they sacrificed a lamb.
That would maybe offend vegetarians but it is not cannibalism.

When you and I were conceived, the little sperm was enveloped by the big egg, and died. The big egg was invaded by the little sperm, and died...but life arose from those deaths, and we by no means consider that morbid. In fact we celebrate the new life that has begun.

Yet there was death, and consumation in order to project life...our life.

We anually celebrate that death and life, with joy.

We don't eat Christ's body. We take him into us, in "memorium" of him.

So simple, even a cave man can understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back