The True Name of God

Hermano Luis

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a three year old grandson. He has already discovered the miracle of language, but of course his pronunciation is still not perfect. He calls me by various names; grandfather in Spanish is "abuelo" so my grandson calls me "avelo" sometimes it sounds like "avela" (which sounds like "abuela" or grandmother in Spanish), so I do not answer. Then he will call me "Yui" (my name is Luis and he still can not get it right), and of course I will answer. Now once and a while we will play games and call each other funny names; I will call him Popó and he will call me Pupú. But the most important thing about all of this is that when he calls, I answer with love even though he still does not pronounce the names right.

I believe in God. I was taught, and I believe, that God is a perfect and loving Parent. Like my grandson, I call God by different names: the Beloved One, Heavenly Father, Divine Mother, Lord Ganesha, Lord Shiva, Bhagavan, Mother Kali, Bhagavan Krishna, etc. Throughout the years I have found that other people call God by other names: Adonai, Ahura Mazda, Allah, Brahman, Ishwar, Purusha, Rama, Dios, Logos, Yaweh, Jehovah, Jupiter, Theos Pater, etc. Nevertheless there are people all over world that insist that the true name of God is the name that is found in their religion and only in their religion, and that God will not answer to any other name.

Swami Sriyukteshwar Giri (1855-1936), one of the spiritual teachers of my spiritual tradition, stated that God is nameless, because God is beyond our comprehension and no language could ever give God a real name. Nevertheless the ancient Sage who wrote the Rig Veda stated that "the One has been given many names by the wise ones" (Rig Veda I:164:46).

If -- as it has been said -- God is a perfect and loving parent, I am sure that God will cherish the names that we imperfect human beings have given Him/Her... names that have sprung from our loving hearts. I have to believe that, because I cherish the many imperfect and sometimes funny names by which my grandson lovingly calls me.

What is the true name of God? The true name of God is that name that we in our imperfection infuse with love and call the Beloved One. I am sure that God will respond to that name of love, for it has been said by many prophets and saints that God is Love and that God responds to the Love in our hearts.

So in conclusion, I will dare to say the true name of God is LOVE in all the languages of the world.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

haha, I find your post so funny today...

yesterday I was chanting something I found on Youtube- george harrison period iskcon stuff- govinda jaya jaya... I was determining what was said in the bad sanskrit translation, and decided it was slightly different to that which we were told it was...

whether I was right or not, I do not suppose Govinda minds if I am right or not- I am sure that my small devotion will be acceptable, regardless...

What is the true name of God? The true name of God is that name that we in our imperfection infuse with love and call the Beloved One.

I am sure that God will respond to that name of love, for it has been said by many prophets and saints that God is Love and that God responds to the Love in our hearts.

So in conclusion, I will dare to say the true name of God is LOVE in all the languages of the world.

Dear Hermano Luis,

I, too, have enjoyed your post, and applaud you daring to say "the true name of God is LOVE in all the languages of the world."

Indeed, God is Love Itself. And, of course, Truth Itself, that is, Wisdom.

Love Divine is expressed through Wisdom, and Divine Wisdom can only be expressed in Love.

Thus the Divine GOOD (of Love) has in TRUTH (of Wisdom) variously revealed Itself to men (of different ages and stages) and allowed Itself to be lovingly addressed in a multitude of ways by devotees and worshippers; by numerous names, many of which you mention in your post.

In a similar spirit as your post, I have, as a Christian, in the past pointed out to faith faction fighters that it is highly unlikely that the Lord Jesus Christ would at all be confused when addressed as either Isai(-bin-Miriam), Jesu, Isous, Jeshua, or Sweet Jesus, and that their insistence on a certain spelling or pronounciation somewhat betrays their understanding of the Spirit in which one calls upon His Name. ("Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.")

Your post does, however, compell me to raise a few points.

The first that came to mind was, if there is a "true" name of God, are there false names of God? If so, what are they? And, would the false names of God be the same as the names of false gods? The rejection of some (believers) of certain names for God derive directly from the rejection of what is considered false religions, serving "foreign" gods and idols.

The other things I offer now for your consideration is for the purpose of discussion. I am not forcing my view as a Christian apologist, but offering my observations, and asking, "What do you make of it?"

1. God is a God of Order. I believe there to be structure and order in all things divine and thus in its natural expression, "according to the pattern of heaven." I would thus be able to discern in the shadows and types of our world the verity of spiritual claims (made in Scripture).

2. Therefore, if the Scriptures quotes (following) have any substance beyond the confines of the Christian faith, I thought, one must be able to discern it in the "real" world. (It is because I think I have found indications to vindicate such "outrageous" claims, that I offer them for your consideration.)

3. Jesus is held forth as the "Good Master" (Mat 19:16) and "Master in Heaven" (Eph 6:9). As He is clearly revealed as the "King of kings" and "Lord of lords" (1Ti 6:15; Rev 17:14; 19:16), one can safely assume that He may be considered the Master of masters (rabbis, teachers, gurus).

4. "Therefore God has highly exalted Him,
and has given Him a name which is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of heavenly ones, and of earthly ones, and of ones under the earth;
and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Phi 2:9-11).

5. In my search for truth, (limited as it is), I discovered that even in a religion as foreign to Christianity as Hinduism, more and more masters acknowledge Jesus, referring to Him in their writings; even utilizing His Sermon and parables to illustrate their teaching.

6. Unsurpassed spiritual power attends the Name of Jesus. I have seen healing and deliverance from demons commanded in His name, and know not of any other name invested with this authority. (Then again, my exposure is limited.)

7. Why is it people resort to a "curse" or "swear word" when startled, angered, upset, etc? They reach for a word of power to express powerfully their feelings or thoughts. Now, beyond "O, my Gawd!" I have heard the Name of the Lord Jesus used most often as the name or word of power, indicating that it is indeed invested with power beyond any other name or word. Where I live even non-believers exclaim, "Jhe-sis!" And godless Hollywood often produce in the mouths of their idols (stars), in one breath: "Jesus! Christ, man, f**king hell; Jesus! Son of a b****h! Jesus Christ!" This (blashemous) example testifies, albeit negatively, to a spiritual reality, that this one Name or Word is above all others in power and authority. I do not recall having seen or heard any other name or word, such as "rope!", "car!", "house!", "sky!", "dude!", "city!", "James!", "pope!", "Thompson"!, "samahdi!", "sun!", or even "Jiminy Cricket!" ---- in both blessing (healing, deliverance, salvation) and curse --- as having such value.

8. In my lifetime I have seen unprecedented mass gatherings of people supernaturally called together in the Name of Jesus, in a great variety of nations on various continents. And I am not just thinking of mega-churches: they are but local churches. These great revival rallies and envangelistic crusades frequently and regularly find the world's largest tents and sports stadiums inadequate to accomodate all those who gather in the Name of the Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.

I would conclude then, since there seems to be a universal growth towards some "completion" that indicate that the Name of Jesus is indeed the ONE NAME above any other, and that He is to be vindicated as Master of masters, King of kings, and Lord of lords, according to ORDER. Surely, there must be a Lord God, thus a Word of God beyond any other word.

And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them; and the nations will know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes. Eze 36:23

Respectfully,

Learner

Save me, O God, by thy name, and vindicate me by thy might. (Ps. 54:1)

haha, I find your post so funny today...

yesterday I was chanting something I found on Youtube- george harrison period iskcon stuff- govinda jaya jaya... I was determining what was said in the bad sanskrit translation, and decided it was slightly different to that which we were told it was...

whether I was right or not, I do not suppose Govinda minds if I am right or not- I am sure that my small devotion will be acceptable, regardless...

I am sure that the Beloved One will will recieve your love no matter how you chant His/Her Names.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

My good friend "leastone,"

I appreciate you words in answer to my post, but above all I appreciate you Faith. I am a strong believer in God, but I am not a Christian nor do I have anything against Christianity.

My spirituality is based on Universal Hindu Vedanta. I do not recognize one religion above another, nor do I recognize on Sacred Book over another. I have a great respect for Jesus Christ in the same way that I have a great respect for Lord Buddha, Bhagavan Krishna, Socrates, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahans, J. Krishnamurti, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and other outstanding persons of different religions. I have also enjoyed reading that Sacred Scriptures of different religion with loving care.

My spiritual teachers taught me that "God is the God of all." That has been my inspiration throught my spiritual life and the guiding principle of my ministry. I do not criticize any religion, for I understand that the religion of the other person is as important to him/her as mine is to me.
In my spiritual pilgrimage I have found that FAITH in every religion is something very powerful. Thanks to their faith, men and women in every religion have seen miracles and have been inspired to overcome the tribulation that they have encountered in their lives.

When I mentioned the True Name of God you will remember that I said, "The true name of God is that name that we in our imperfection infuse with love and call the Beloved One." There are no false names of God if we infuse them with our love and faith.

Now my good friend, I understand that you are a devout Christian. My advice to you is "Do not change your spiritual path. Pray to God as you understand God to be, but pray to God with Love." I know that God hears you prayers as I know He/She hears mine.

I pray that our friendship will mature through the years. Peace!:)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

Brother Luis,

Muchas gracias por su response.

The gentle spirit of your kind and generous reply is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Learner

The closest I can get to the true name of God is a fraction, 1/0. After that is an imponderable.
:)

Jesus spoke about the true God, in JOHN 17;3 And he said .....
This means everlasting life their taking in knowledge of the TRUE GOD ,

so who is the true God according to the bible ?

i might have known , the answer would be in the bible itself.

it tells mee in PSALM 83;18 who the MOST HIGH is , it is JEHOVAH :)

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.​
PSALM 83;18

My position is, has been, and will continue to be that mankind can call God by as many Names as it wants to, but if those Names are not infused with our devotion, with our love, they are meaningless... they are simply words.

To insist that ONLY the Name of God that is used by "my religion" is the True Name of God is very negative dogmatism. The only thing that it accomplishes is to create division among those who sincerely love God. What is so difficult in accepting that those who love God call Him/Her be differnt Names? :)

May the love of the Beloved One shine in our hearts!:)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

Be nice if everyone had the gift of Love you have shared.

Peace to you Hermano Luis.

My good friend "leastone,"

I appreciate you words in answer to my post, but above all I appreciate you Faith. I am a strong believer in God, but I am not a Christian nor do I have anything against Christianity.

My spirituality is based on Universal Hindu Vedanta. I do not recognize one religion above another, nor do I recognize on Sacred Book over another. I have a great respect for Jesus Christ in the same way that I have a great respect for Lord Buddha, Bhagavan Krishna, Socrates, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahans, J. Krishnamurti, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and other outstanding persons of different religions. I have also enjoyed reading that Sacred Scriptures of different religion with loving care.

My spiritual teachers taught me that "God is the God of all." That has been my inspiration throught my spiritual life and the guiding principle of my ministry. I do not criticize any religion, for I understand that the religion of the other person is as important to him/her as mine is to me.
In my spiritual pilgrimage I have found that FAITH in every religion is something very powerful. Thanks to their faith, men and women in every religion have seen miracles and have been inspired to overcome the tribulation that they have encountered in their lives.

When I mentioned the True Name of God you will remember that I said, "The true name of God is that name that we in our imperfection infuse with love and call the Beloved One." There are no false names of God if we infuse them with our love and faith.

Now my good friend, I understand that you are a devout Christian. My advice to you is "Do not change your spiritual path. Pray to God as you understand God to be, but pray to God with Love." I know that God hears you prayers as I know He/She hears mine.

I pray that our friendship will mature through the years. Peace!:)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

"What is the true name of God? "

Can be seen in the descriptions within many of the religions.

Alpha-Omega, beginning and ending

The life of all that exists

All is in Him, of Him and ONE with Him at the same time.

The all encumbering LOVE

IN a collective understanding each of those basics can be found in most all religious beliefs but since words are varied and spoken differently, then we can see how the variations can exist the globe over

But when cultures meet, there is a universal language; math

So to keep the words are the defining parameter, in math the definitions can be understood universally.

If God is all that is, all that exists, in all time enabling life, creating all that is known or experienced and has no single word to represent HIM, then another frame can be observed;

Think of all that exist; all mass, all energy (light) and all time equals ONE.

What this would mean is that a mathematical frame representing the three (trinity) of mass, energy and time into an order that equals ONE, (existence)......

then it seems the long sought name of God could be ......... ?

you shared your Love Hermano Luis...... and nothing is of greater mind (Godhead)

Peace

p/s..... soon the truth will unfold ;)

My position is, has been, and will continue to be that mankind can call God by as many Names as it wants to, but if those Names are not infused with our devotion, with our love, they are meaningless... they are simply words.

To insist that ONLY the Name of God that is used by "my religion" is the True Name of God is very negative dogmatism. The only thing that it accomplishes is to create division among those who sincerely love God. What is so difficult in accepting that those who love God call Him/Her be differnt Names? :)

May the love of the Beloved One shine in our hearts!:)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

The reason that the name of God in the bible , which is JEHOVAH , is VERY important is because that name has great meaning in it , the name JEHOVAH actually means
(HE CAUSES TO BECOME) so that name has meaning in it .

The reason that the name of God in the bible , which is JEHOVAH , is VERY important is because that name has great meaning in it , the name JEHOVAH actually means
(HE CAUSES TO BECOME) so that name has meaning in it .

Every Name that I have discovered of God "has great meaning in it." It is importance that you fill that Name with you Love, and then use It to invoke God either by chanting It or repeating It in profound silence. You will surely discover God's presence as Ever-New-Joy in your heart. :)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

WHAT DOES THIS UNIQUE NAME MEAN?

To answer this, a historical flashback is appropriate.

When he was commissioned by the Most High to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, "Moses said to the true God: ‘Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, "The God of your forefathers has sent me to you," and they do say to me, "What is his name?" What shall I say to them?’

At this God said to Moses: "I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.’ And he added: ‘This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, "I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to you."’" (Ex. 3:13, 14)

This means Jehovah would carry his own grand purpose to completion in vindication of his name and sovereignty, and this helps us to understand the memorial name "Jehovah," given in verse 15.

According to the Hebrew root of the name, it appears to mean

He Causes To Become (or, "Prove To Be") with respect to himself.

Thus God’s name has real significance to thoughtful persons. That name reveals him as being One who unfailingly fulfills what he promises and is perfectly in control of whatever situation may arise.

What a deep, sacred meaning the divine name has! It is the name par excellence of the universe, a glorious name.

The term "Lord" is pale and inexplicit in comparison. Jesus loved and respected his Father’s name and once said to him: "Father, glorify your name." The account continues: "Therefore a voice came out of heaven: ‘I both glorified it and will glorify it again.’"—John 12:28.

If Jesus had been a Bible translator today, would he have omitted his Father’s name from new translations? Hardly! Without a doubt, Jesus, of all persons, had the right attitude toward Almighty God and His name.

So what should be our attitude toward God and his name?

Mee, I do not recognize the Bible or any other Sacred Book to be the Word of God. I am convinced that there is a Supreme Being whom I call God or I could call by any other name. I like calling God the Beloved One. If my words have offended your spiritual sensibiliy, please forgive me. That was never my intention. I am just an old minister-priest who strongly believes in the power of Love. :)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

Mee, I do not recognize the Bible or any other Sacred Book to be the Word of God. I am convinced that there is a Supreme Being whom I call God or I could call by any other name. I like calling God the Beloved One. If my words have offended your spiritual sensibiliy, please forgive me. That was never my intention. I am just an old minister-priest who strongly believes in the power of Love. :)

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage
no worries mee is not offended:)

"They call Him Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Agni, and He is heavenly nobly-winged Garutman. To what is One, sages have given many Names: they call It Agni, Yama, Matarishvan."

Rig Veda I:164:46

"They call Him Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Agni, and He is heavenly nobly-winged Garutman. To what is One, sages have given many Names: they call It Agni, Yama, Matarishvan."

Rig Veda I:164:46

......so you gave yourself the answer... -- and is a designation the same as a name, or similar? -- and what about OM?! -- that was just a thought, an idea passing by, not a real question.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

aquele e o poder do amor!

Back