Burned at the stake for the Bible

The Catholic Church used the notorious Inquisition to stamp out so-called "heretics" by fiendish torture and burnings at the stake.

In the sixteenth century alone, the Catholic Inquisition burned more than 30,000 "heretics" in this way.

Nor were the Protestant reformers of that time without guilt, a notable case being the burning near Geneva of Michael Servetus, because of his publicly declaring the truths that the Trinity doctrine and the baptism of infants are contrary to Bible teaching.

John Calvin, one of the founders of the Presbyterian Church, argued for the death penalty, and looked on while Servetus was literally roasted alive in a slow fire for about five hours till dead.

Jehovah, the ‘God of love,’ has never consented to such tortures.

thomas said:
...the Church is the authority when it comes to affirming a correct interpretation ... without that, the evidence is plain that people to often choose to find in what they read what they were looking for.
I think we've seen what happens in many denominations, sects, and religions when one body (the hierarchy) is seen as the only interpreter and not open to discussion.

Wil,

Not only that, if you disagree with Thomas, he feels he has the right to execute you.

I don't think that's quite fair, Nick. I disagree with Thomas frequently, and I have not ever felt the threat of becoming toast in his presence.

On the other hand, I have on occasion felt as though I could have easily become the roast du jour on a number of other instances...once at the hands of those I presume were fundamentalist Christians, another time at the hands of fundamentalist Atheists, and once at the hands of fundamentalist Muslims.

What can I say? I guess I'm an equal opportunity heretic.

And let us not forget, if we are going to play the "guilty of your fathers' sins" game, all those Christians and Jews put to the torch and worse at the hands of Pagans...

So I think wil was really more profound than perhaps even he knew. Memories tend to be short...and highly selective, especially when levelling accusations.

;)

Wil,

Not only that, if you disagree with Thomas, he feels he has the right to execute you.
Sorry Nick, gotta side with 123 and disagree with ya. All thomas will ever toss my way is his words and his prayers and in both cases I believe he comes from concern.

I believe that is the same with most, including those that 123 mentioned, including those who make the paper, including those that raise the hair on our neck in this forum, they feel I/we've gone down the wrong path and they are on the right one.

Somewhere along the line you'd think that killing for the sake of saving goes to far...but I live in a country where pro-life folks bomb planned parenthood and our gov't goes on pre-emptive strikes that remind me of crusades and executes folks and calls it justice...I can't fathom any of it, but can say the folks that support it think they are doing right.

Sorry Nick, gotta side with 123 and disagree with ya.

I...am...shocked.

Wil agrees with me? Hey everybody! Wil agrees with me!

I thought sure I was gonna get to try out my asbestos underwear... :D

Just kidding, so there is no misunderstanding. Wil is not the kind of person who would try to fry somebody for disagreeing.

Last edited:
The record of Christendom’s religions includes bitter opposition to the distribution of the Bible and its "good news." And no wonder!—for it exposes her bloodguilt.

During the infamous Dark Ages, when for more than a thousand years Christendom was dominated by the popes of Rome, no effort was made to circulate the Bible among the common people.

The few copies available were in Latin, a language that in time came to be known only to the priests.

When at last courageous men attempted to translate the Bible into the language of the common people, so that these could read and understand it, they were persecuted, often to the death. :(

And there's the fact that across the globe Catholics are still being persecuted and killed for the faith today.

Thomas

Hi Nick —

As you have informed me on more than one occasion that your religion does not allow you to insult another's, I would ask you to abide by that dogma and stop spreading false and malicious propaganda about mine.

Thomas

Thomas,

Which statement are you calling an insult? I suppose your complaint is that I say you support executing people for religious reasons?

You said,

"Tyndale was burned for heresy, not for translating the Bible."

--> How is burning someone to death not an execution?

Or, is it because you condone such murder? I am not really sure what you are complaining about.

Nick the Pilot; said:
Thomas,

Which statement are you calling an insult? I suppose your complaint is that I say you support executing people for religious reasons?

Or, is it because you condone such murder? I am not really sure what you are complaining about.

Come now, Nick the Pilot, you know full well that Thomas is present here in a Spirit of holiness and humilty, serving the Lord in sincerity, and has never given anything out that calls for, or deserves your suggestion that he has a murderous heart.

Respectfully,

Learner

Hi Nick —

Which statement are you calling an insult?
The statement of yours that I quoted, that I would desire anyone's execution.

I suppose your complaint is that I say you support executing people for religious reasons?
You suppose correctly.

You said,
"Tyndale was burned for heresy, not for translating the Bible."
Yes I did. But I did not say I endorse that decision, did I? I simply corrected an error of historical fact. Later I made it quite clear I do nort support such actions.

Well I fail to see how I can make a direct and simple statement any more obvious, but let me reiterate:

I do not endorse execution — in fact I had already made that clear, before you made your recent accusation. I might also add that the Catholic Church no longer executes people either, just in case you should suppose I am an exception to the rule, so your claim that either She or I would desire your execution is your own fantasy, nothing else.

So your insistence to another person on this board that I 'feel I have the right' (in your words) to execute anyone is a slanderous comment against both me and my religion, and I have every right to ask for an apology.

Thomas

Thomas,

You said,

"...the Catholic Church no longer executes people...."

Thank you for verifying that the church has executed people. And, I get the feeling that you always agree with what the church does. Or, are you saying you ... disagree with something the church has done?

Are you saying the church should not have executed those people?

Hi Nick —

Thomas,
You said, "...the Catholic Church no longer executes people...."
Thank you for verifying that the church has executed people.
Doesn't really require my verification does it ... as I make clear often, I believe no individual voice is ever the benchmark of truth.

And, I get the feeling that you always agree with what the church does.
Not always. We have the right to question what is done in Her name.

Or, are you saying you ... disagree with something the church has done?
I disagree with many things done in Her name.

Are you saying the church should not have executed those people?
That is what I have said.

Having, I hope, made that clear ... Do we get our apologies now?

Thomas

Thomas; said:
... Do we get our apologies now?

It seems that theosphy does not speak to the conscience in terms of moral values or ethics the way the Christian Spirit of Holiness does.

I'm disappointed, Nick the Pilot.

Respectfully,

Learner

Thomas,

I appreciate your sticking with me on this topic. I feel we have just begun to explore what has been going on in the church. Our discussion leads me to some questions:

Why did the church execute people?

Why did it stop executing people?

You said,

"...the Church is the authority when it comes to affirming a correct interpretation...."

--> This implies that the church was correct in executing those people. Yet you say the church was not? I see a contradiction here.

The only reason the Catholic Church no longer kills people is because its political power was broken, at the cost of much sacrifice of blood.

so bringing it up to modern days , is the pure word of what the bible really teaches welcomed by the churches of christendom, or is it rejected ,

Read the Bible Online

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

and how are the ones who promote bible truth treated.

not only now but in history past.
promoting bible truth does not go down well with those who prefer manmade doctrines such as the TRINITY

Thomas,

I appreciate your sticking with me on this topic.
And I would appreciate the same. As far as I am concerned, there is unfinished matters to attend to before we move forward.

You have made some offensive comments about me, which you have previously said your religion forbids you to do, so I am somewhat confused.

Are you willing to apologise or not?

Thomas

Back