Ambient music?

Beethoven.

All music is ambient, so you shouldn't worry about a genre.

I really like some of the work from Boards of Canada, but some of their stuff also drives me crazy. Same thing with Phillip Glass. (Although I highly recommend Aguas da Amazonia, composed by Phillip Glass and performed by Uakti.)

{Has anyone listened to Uakti's Trilobyte? If so, how is it?}

Beethoven.
All music is ambient, so you shouldn't worry about a genre.

Alex P said:
Is this like that cra... Music.. That is just whale noises and stuff?? lulz....

Although ambient as a music form pre-dates him, it is Brian Eno who is generally credited with coining the term in the 1970s to refer to music that can be either "actively listened to with attention or as easily ignored, depending on the choice of the listener". (taken from Wiki cited above).

s.

I really like some of the work from Boards of Canada, but some of their stuff also drives me crazy. Same thing with Phillip Glass. (Although I highly recommend Aguas da Amazonia, composed by Phillip Glass and performed by Uakti.)

{Has anyone listened to Uakti's Trilobyte? If so, how is it?}

Regarding Philip Glass, I do find him rather samey. I’ve got his collected piano works but don’t find them that engaging. However his music for the Godfrey Reggio films Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi is brilliant, IMO.

Not heard much Boards of Canada. Will check em out some more.

And never heard of Uakti.

How about Stars of the Lid?

s.

Regarding Philip Glass, I do find him rather samey.{/quote]
I was going to suggest Michael Nyman until you said that. There's a famous anon comment, between two musicians sitting down in the orchestra pit:
"How long's this one, then?"
"Hour and threequaters. Or fifteen minutes, without the repeats."

You've tried Brian Eno himself? If you get a taste of Boards of Canada — nice one, SG — try looking for Transient Waves.

Thomas

I was going to suggest Michael Nyman until you said that. There's a famous anon comment, between two musicians sitting down in the orchestra pit:
"How long's this one, then?"
"Hour and threequaters. Or fifteen minutes, without the repeats."

I like the music to The Thief, the Cook, the Lover, the Gangster, the Politician, the Aardvark but I know what you mean. Damn that microtonality! (Good film too)

You've tried Brian Eno himself?
I have ta. Trying to broaden the net a little. :)

If you get a taste of Boards of Canada — nice one, SG — try looking for Transient Waves.
OK. :)

s.

"Structures from Silence" by Steve Roach is pretty good. It has just a little bit more going on than let's say a Brian Eno recording such as "Music for Airports", but not much.

Back