The greatest mystery of all

Bruno's logic

Agnostic/Panthiest
Reaction score
I am a mystery to myself. I have no clue as to what/who I am other than this space/moment. To assume that I am 'more or less existing' is beyond my understanding of the mystery that I am.

All I know for sure is that I don't know anything at all and to argue in the face of this great mystery is pointless. To know the absolute truth about what this mysterious existence is, and that I appear to be a part of, seems to be beyond my abilities...

So I remain a mystery to myself within the mystery that is this existence and that is the greatest mystery of all...

The question is;
Can this mysterious riddle ever be solved?
~Bruno

I am a mystery to myself. I have no clue as to what/who I am other than this space/moment. To assume that I am 'more or less existing' is beyond my understanding of the mystery that I am.

All I know for sure is that I don't know anything at all and to argue in the face of this great mystery is pointless. To know the absolute truth about what this mysterious existence is, and that I appear to be a part of, seems to be beyond my abilities...

So I remain a mystery to myself within the mystery that is this existence and that is the greatest mystery of all...

The question is;
~Bruno

Hi Bruno

I think we can get closer to the truth of ourselves but it requires something now that is out of fashion which is the humility to "Know Thyself." Your question us uncomfortable so we prefer to imagine ourselves.

However there are a minority of people willing to explore this question and pursue inner empiricism which is self knowledge. It is not something taught in public schools but non the less efforts in this direction do exist because your question responates with a minority of others.

Here is a good intro to inner empiricism. It is good food for contemplation:

Needleman, Inner Empiricism

Well, I'm a mystery to myself too, but the thing is: I didn't have any control over my environment for several years and had a lot of programming put on me before I was old enough to even remember things, much less choose my emotional and intellectual response.

Chris

The question is;
~Bruno
I shall give you the long answer. No.

Seasons greetings :)

The question is;
~Bruno

It would seem that the very act of asking the question would keep it a mystery. Knowing how we tend to think and grasp at understanding to perpetuate our sense of self relegates that mystery into a "thing" to be pursued, always just out of reach.

The exhortation to "know thyself" for most results in a list of likes and dislikes rather than any real understanding.

It would seem that the very act of asking the question would keep it a mystery. Knowing how we tend to think and grasp at understanding to perpetuate our sense of self relegates that mystery into a "thing" to be pursued, always just out of reach.

The exhortation to "know thyself" for most results in a list of likes and dislikes rather than any real understanding.

This just means that people don't know what it means to "know thyself." Its not a matter for example of justifying and itemizing likes and dislikes but the impartial conscious experience of a like or dislike. There is no right or wrong but just what happens. Can you experience a like or dislike without becoming the experience but rather coming to know it from a higher more conscious perspective? Have you ever experienced the difference between feeling cold and sensing cold? How to experience the difference?

This just means that people don't know what it means to "know thyself." Its not a matter for example of justifying and itemizing likes and dislikes but the impartial conscious experience of a like or dislike. There is no right or wrong but just what happens. Can you experience a like or dislike without becoming the experience but rather coming to know it from a higher more conscious perspective? Have you ever experienced the difference between feeling cold and sensing cold? How to experience the difference?

Sounds like you are describing what is known as "the witness" or "the observer"

Hi Will,
Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question… I don’t have enough time in my awake world to spare on contemplating existance let alone time to discuss the mystery of it all but I must say I do enjoy y'alls lively debate when I get the time....…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno's logic
II have no clue as to what/who I am other than this space
/moment.

“And what is that? – Will”
If I break it down to the simplest form I am aware that I exist…. That is all. Right here and right now in this moment and in this space…… All of this….existing stuff around me…. I can not explain….. I don’t know why or how everything exists including my awareness of existing , it is a mystery to me…

“What was that when you wrote it and what is that now? – Will”
It remains the same will how can I be honest and say anything else…? I eagerly await a clue that may reveal the truth behind this mystery… Perhaps you can enlighten my momentary situation…
~Bruno
PS.- Thankyou Nick A for the link….
Needleman, Inner Empiricism
an excellent site indeed….. I will look in to it when I have time to spare……

… I don’t have enough time in my awake world to spare on contemplating existance let alone time to discuss the mystery of it all but I must say I do enjoy y'alls lively debate when I get the time....…

If I break it down to the simplest form I am aware that I exist…. That is all. Right here and right now in this moment and in this space…… All of this….existing stuff around me…. I can not explain….. I don’t know why or how everything exists including my awareness of existing , it is a mystery to me…
Namaste Bruno,

Interesting how you refer to being awake because that was exactly my next question.

When you dream, are you aware that you exist? That everything appears real? That the only difference between that dream and what you call being awake when you say you 'exist' is waking up?

How do you know this is not a dream? Just because you've yet to wake up?

Interesting how you refer to being awake because that was exactly my next question.

When you dream, are you aware that you exist? That everything appears real? That the only difference between that dream and what you call being awake when you say you 'exist' is waking up?

How do you know this is not a dream? Just because you've yet to wake up?-Will

HI Will,
The mind is truly amazing to the conscious self/ego, but not to the mind……

While I am awake I am mindful of my own existence…. When the body rests the mind continues to react and respond to stimuli. Who knows for sure what influences the mind while the conscious self/ego sleeps… Spirits? Space itself…?

I have lucid dreams I also fly. I have wrestled with fears of demons and aliens, bad guys and bears while I sleep… I have overcome these fears…. Every so often I have very special dreams… I lift out of my body and travel around… The surroundings are familiar but not exactly like the waking world…. At first this was rather frightening but now it is very interesting, It feels strange and I am aware that my body is resting and waiting for my return... I don't know what to make of this but it is cool.

I don’t know much of anything really when It comes to existence..
I don't know if I ever will but I like being alive...
~Bruno

Back