Can The Absolute God Be Sad?

S

soleil10

Can the all-knowing and almighty God avoid sadness? Can He relate to sorrow?
These are serious questions. We cannot maintain the view that the absolute God can be the Father of humanity and yet never experience sorrow. There is a logical contradiction here, for it fundamentally distances God the Father from His children who experience the feelings of joy, anger, sorrow and pleasure.
Therefore, God who created us has to feel joy, anger, sorrow and pleasure, even more than we can.

In Catholic Theology God is Absolute because God is One and Simple; unoriginate, incomprehensible, inaccessible, undetermined, unchanging, infinite — so God is not subject to change, nor is He subject to disharmony, nor passions.

We must never lose sight of the fact that Scripture communicates to us in words we can understand — so the anthropological elements of Scripture should be treated accordingly. We ascribe qualities to God because those qualities bring us closer to Him, we do not ascribe other qualities to God because they lead us away.

Is God love? Yes. Is that all God is? No. Is God hate? No.

God is not a being, but the author of all being, manifest and unmanifest, actual and potential, and all modes and ways of being ... but God Himself transcends being, and the qualities that define and describe beings cannot adequately be ascribed to Him, but the can be ascribed to Him if the reason and purpose is to allow us an adequate understanding of Him.

So I can say yes, God sorrows ... but I know He doesn't.

Thomas

God is absolute so He is everywhere: therefore He is inside us and outside so he experiences sadness through us, when we are sad so I would say yes.

kind of a neat thread.

what to observe is that many think God was mad at mankind and floaded the earth (an emotionally charged action)

this simple thread can offer many to observe that the descriptions made in many theological text, share anger and the committing of meaness, to answer the errors of mankinds deeds.

This reduces God's infallibility to the level of man's weaknesses.

Like a kid on the playground upset because someone took his baseball, when if the kid was of magic, he would just 'blink' and the ball would be in his hands but instead kicks the other in the shins and then runs back into hiding.

God 'experiences' everything any human being does and 'feels' the impacts in what occurs by what that person does. The forgiving kind, do nothing of ill regard 'after being smitten' thereby God realizes less damage because of that forgiveness (Jesus tried to share this)

but then when the damage is so bad, like a fib, then see how items such as a sect of people putting another group in concentration camps, causing huge errors to roll through based on a fib.... created by men/women.

'We the people' are who realize good and evil.

We the people are who cause harm to God (existence)

We are who choose not to observe 'the garden' all because of fibs; and now tell me; what city looks like the garden of eden? (nature/God)

Since I believe that creation is a necessity and not just an act of love, there must be a quality of remorse beyond our comprehension associated with this necessity that leads to the suffering of the Creator. God's initial expression is the light so:

"Colours are the deeds of light, its deeds and sufferings." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

Since I believe that creation is a necessity and not just an act of love, there must be a quality of remorse beyond our comprehension associated with this necessity that leads to the suffering of the Creator. God's initial expression is the light so:

"Colours are the deeds of light, its deeds and sufferings." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

read a bit of isaiah, zech, rev....... in a real short period, there will be a bunch that will 're-balance' what is now occuring

remember 'first to last, last to first'.........?

16of the same mind one toward another, not minding the high things, but with the lowly going along; become not wise in your own conceit;

17giving back to no one evil for evil; providing right things before all men.

18If possible -- so far as in you -- with all men being in peace;

19not avenging yourselves, beloved, but give place to the wrath, for it hath been written, `Vengeance [is] Mine,

20I will recompense again, saith the Lord;' if, then, thine enemy doth hunger, feed him; if he doth thirst, give him drink; for this doing, coals of fire thou shalt heap upon his head;
21Be not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil.

each can do good and live; the rest will fall.

no worries!

I don't think so.

I don't see G!d with emotion like sadness, things affecting mood, I see that as us making G!d in our image.

OK — But then that's not the Christian God is it, that's your concept.

Thomas

The Christian God is ineffable and outside of time and space. It isn't something we can have an accurate conception of. Consequesntly the concern for the Christian is for the help of the Christ and the Holy spirit for the inner man to acquire understanding leading to the experience of human meaning and purpose.

Hi Wil —
I don't think so.
I don't see G!d with emotion like sadness, things affecting mood, I see that as us making G!d in our image.
I agree.

I regard it as an act of grace that God reveals Himself to us in our image that we might better understand Him. As we move through that image, we might transit from a kataphatic (positive) to an apophatic (negative) expression, and whilst there is a hierarchical interpretation (the apophatic is higher), God is nevertheless immanently and equally present to man in both.

Thomas

The Christian God is ineffable and outside of time and space.
that would mean God is not with us.

That would mean HE is somewhere's else. (sitting on a thrown, like the pope, right?.... )

It isn't something we can have an accurate conception of.
Then why would any religion ever try and define, describe or tell us what HE wants, intends, 'speaks'... etc etc etc.....

Some think God is the SUN, some suggest a blue guy, others a beach bumb with a white robe, fire in HIS eyes and naked angels flying around His head.

there are a gazillion ideas of who/what God is

but the only real definitions that most can all observe is what we all experience and find in nature (the garden).

We all can see the beauty of life from a butterfly; but who sees God there?

We all know the beauty of child birth; but who sees God there?

To appreciate all that exists as God himself, then each can be responsible to/for every action they make.

Consequesntly the concern for the Christian is for the help of the Christ and the Holy spirit for the inner man to acquire understanding leading to the experience of human meaning and purpose.

and i guess when HE comes back, then perhaps WE will all be able to understand? :eek:

I wonder how HE will define God! ;)

To appreciate all that exists as God himself, then each can be responsible to/for every action they make.
That is not the Christian God, however, as what you're saying is that everyone is his or her own god.

The philsophers 'proved' your position impossible with the application of pure reason to the highest idea of 'deity': God is that which is Absolute, One, Simple, and so forth ... there can't be two absolutes, any more than there can be two, or however many billion, gods ... the definition of god then becomes nonsensical.

Whilst Christianity insists the Cause of All is visible in all nature and as such is accessible to reason, that same reasoning faculty informs the dilligent that the evidence of God in nature does not mean that nature is God ...

You limit God to a cosmological determination, it is not absolute in the metaphysical or philosophical sense, but a relative condition ... Christianity, and the Greek philosophical tradition ... refutes that idea.

Thomas

That is not the Christian God,
maybe the Hopi, perhaps the Inuit, could be the aboriginal, then again... the mayan.............. which God is your God?

I am beginning to think some pagen rendition, i mean most every christian church has an idol, a statue, a figurine of some dude who happens to look just like me......

it seems the idea of God sitting on a thrown is the same thing as Zeus sitting there with a bolt of lightning.

but we all know, not many a christian on this globe does not have cross (symbolic idol) to represent their idea.

however, as what you're saying is that everyone is his or her own god.
did not come from me

perhaps try reading a wee bit of bible

22And Jehovah God saith, `Lo, the man was as one of Us, as to the knowledge of good and evil; and now, lest he send forth his hand, and have taken also of the tree of life, and eaten, and lived to the age,' --

lot's of enlightening material in the bible

have you ever read what Jesus said?

15`If ye love me, my commands keep,

16and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you -- to the age;
17the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it doth not behold him, nor know him, and ye know him, because he doth remain with you, and shall be in you.

all this quoted stuff; says Jesus is not God, to follow the rules and keep an ear to the ground because the messiah is coming to rattle your cages

because you don't know him

The philsophers 'proved' your position impossible with the application of pure reason to the highest idea of 'deity': God is that which is Absolute, One, Simple, and so forth ... there can't be two absolutes, any more than there can be two, or however many billion, gods ... the definition of god then becomes nonsensical.

hey i agree, i have read on most religious belief on this earth

but that simple fact is...... existence only operates ONE way and that is what 'we the people' must keep our focus on; the truth

not your opinions bound in faith

Whilst Christianity insists the Cause of All is visible
the cause is visible?

took einstein a bunch of math to define the brownian motion, as who can see an atom?

in all nature and as such is accessible to reason, that same reasoning faculty informs the dilligent that the evidence of God in nature does not mean that nature is God ...
nature is the word we use to define mother earth's performance but no where in the sciences does the evolution of life become defined.

Meaning, the math to define the process of atoms and energy, combining in an evolutionary process, that is experimentally consistant, has never been performed in todays sciences.

It is the 2LOT that has placed a road block within the physics arena to define evolutionary processes at the molecular level

And if that math was in our science books, the religions would already be unemployed. Such that if the process was performed and experimentally proven, then the 'evolution of life' would be a part of the mathematics of the worlds schooling.

that is why i am here......

as a puppy (16) that realization was made and why the commitment was begun

i do not care about what religions say, i care about the future having a chance to know life and allowed to think about their choices without corruption of the mind by the religious oppressors telling them how 'less then' we as human beings are.

You limit God to a cosmological determination, it is not absolute in the metaphysical or philosophical sense, but a relative condition ... Christianity, and the Greek philosophical tradition ... refutes that idea.

Thomas

refute all you like

ever notice the medical achievements can be applied universally to mankind?

well applicability to existence is more important than the application of religious beliefs.

Your trust your books, unevolved..... i trust God, his evolutionary patterns (golden ratio) and His gifts to mankind from throughout the world.

It is why many just can't handle the truth, they are bound with blinders by theri own faithful interpretations.

Just as very few knew what Jesus' gifts were until HE was gone but follow the bible as if HE wrote it, when He did not write a single line in the book(s).

This time around, the truth walks, and the works will be completed before this i leaves the building. ;)

Can the all-knowing and almighty God avoid sadness? Can He relate to sorrow?
These are serious questions. We cannot maintain the view that the absolute God can be the Father of humanity and yet never experience sorrow. There is a logical contradiction here, for it fundamentally distances God the Father from His children who experience the feelings of joy, anger, sorrow and pleasure.
Therefore, God who created us has to feel joy, anger, sorrow and pleasure, even more than we can.

This is from this website.

Cheon Seong Gyeong - Sun Myung Moon - Book One - True God - Chapter One - The Original Being of God - Section 3. God is a Personal God

Oh, no~. Not you again.......

Is the site you`re referencing the Unification Church or something. If one joins, and pays a couple $10k, you can get a wife. They even teach a specific position for sex that they feel is the correct position, where the women mounts the man or whatever. They all get married at once in the thousands, and % of GNP amounts of cash get illegally smuggled into Korea. The founder is self-acclaimed "the messiah Jesus Christ himself".

Stay away from these guys folks. I think some of their missions got kidnapped for ransom somewhere in South America. I don`t even think the founder is allowed on US territory, I think he got kicked out in the 60`s.

TK

p.s. I will avoid any more conversation on this issue if it has anything to do with me.

Oh, no~. Not you again.......

Is the site you`re referencing the Unification Church or something. If one joins, and pays a couple $10k, you can get a wife. They even teach a specific position for sex that they feel is the correct position, where the women mounts the man or whatever. They all get married at once in the thousands, and % of GNP amounts of cash get illegally smuggled into Korea. The founder is self-acclaimed "the messiah Jesus Christ himself".

Stay away from these guys folks. I think some of their missions got kidnapped for ransom somewhere in South America. I don`t even think the founder is allowed on US territory, I think he got kicked out in the 60`s.

TK

p.s. I will avoid any more conversation on this issue if it has anything to do with me.

TK,

"You shall not bear false witness"

You words are very hurtful. Why would you slander me and my faith with such false information and make me appear like a monster on a website focusing on the subject of interfaith.

It is very regrettable, disappointing and very sad.

In Buddhism, in reflecting in the mirror of the dhamma, God is "Sugato", happy.

"You shall not bear false witness"

OK, I`m gonna respond. I`ll retract my statement after looking your religion up that the Unification Church is not allowed on US territory. But its true that on the day of the mass wedding at your church, in the name of God, % of GNP amounts of cash do reach your church through illegal direct hand transportation of cash over national borders.

It is also true that who you seek your knowledge from, is the founder of the Unification Church who claims to be the "second coming of Christ".

That fact alone will cause you quite a lot of resentment from others if I know anything about people. And the list does go on, you know that.

You seem to be posting threads quite a bit at the Christian forum.

My question to you is are you trying to lead people into the Unification Church? Your system of thinking? As you clearly seem to be set in how you interpret the Bible while you ask a lot of questions. As I have a feeling that you know in your own mind the answers to every question you ask.

While people are showing love sharing their own thoughts, do you have any intention to think about what they are saying? Do you have any intention to think about anything besides what your man messiah taught you, while you ask questions like a child in need prompting people to respond.

Are you sure you are not seeking those who do not have an established faith? And seeking to put your thoughts into their minds.

If that is the case who is the one who is acting the false witness? You know very well that you know what Mr. Moon teaches you, if you are a full member of the Unification Church. No need to come here except for one reason.

Yes or No. Are your intentions to preach?
Because I`d doubt you`d find any child minds here. And spare me the mama guilt trip too.

TK

p.s. who else are you here on a mission with if any? Is this site sponsored by you guys?

Back