Was Jesus weak at Gethesemane ?

S

soleil10

If Jesus knew he was going to die, why did he pray in Gethesemane that this cup "pass from Him." Some say Jesus was having a moment of doubt, others say it was his flesh crying out in weakness. I don't think these are good answers in that I do not think "doubt" or "weakness" could apply to Jesus.

If Jesus knew he was going to die, why did he pray in Gethesemane that this cup "pass from Him." Some say Jesus was having a moment of doubt, others say it was his flesh crying out in weakness. I don't think these are good answers in that I do not think "doubt" or "weakness" could apply to Jesus.

The answer lies in the Mystery of the Incarnation, in the proper understanding of His humanity and His divinity: Christ was both God and man, not a mixture, part one and a part the other; not fully one and only seemingly the other; but fully God, and fully man, two natures in one person.

Thomas

The whole purpose of the Crucifixion was to receive it as a conscious experience. A conscious experience includes the experience of all mechanical resistance. It is a quality of experience we rarely if ever have so consequently never change but just continue reacting with the same patterns.

This is the furthest thing from weakness. Someone looks at us the wrong way and we lose any sense of presence but Jesus remained conscious (self aware) as opposed to self conscious during the entire experience to open the path to re-birth into conscious life.

Thomas, I believe that Jesus did not pray out of weakness for himself.

He was still hoping that he could fulfill his original mission. He was worried about his followers. He knew that by going to the cross, they will also have to suffer. Will they be strong enough ?

He knew God's heart which had already been broken by the fall of Adam. This was another huge disappointment.

All he could do was offer his body and bring spiritual salvation. (I hope I am not offending you by sharing what I believe). I do not see this as a mystery

How would you like to take on the sins of all of mankind past, present, and future? How much of a price would you be willing to pay for all the judgment and punishment those sins tolled up to?

Remember, Jesus (though God), had left his divinity with the father, and faced this impending sentence as a human.

Remember this too, he said "...and you will do greater than I..."

I think he was trying to show us the capacity of a man, when in harmony with God...despite the utter terror we might face.

One of my favorite lines...I usually get chastised for referring to it, what did Thomas say once, "I wish he hadn't said that."
Lol, that's because Thomas is accutely aware of how fast we can run away with ourselves and our own understanding, instead of depending upon the Lord to see us through in our potential greatness...

Back