zombies

juantoo3

....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this.

Last night I watched a program on PBS here in the states, I caught that it was a BBC production made in 1999. It talked about zombies in Haiti and the work of Wade Davis among others trying to isolate the active ingredients from the fugu or pufferfish. The program also noted the connection with Haitian "black" magic that immigrated from Western Africa.

A favorite old movie of mine is "the Serpent and the Rainbow," which is why the program caught my interest. Is anybody else familiar with any of this?

I would also like to ask if there is any relationship between Haitian Voodoo and Santeria?

A favorite old movie of mine is "the Serpent and the Rainbow," which is why the program caught my interest. Is anybody else familiar with any of this?

ZOMBIES!!!

"Brraaaai-ai-ai-ainss!!" *munches on juantoo's frontal lobe* "Mmm. Nutritious."

The Serpent and the Rainbow, as I remember it, is fantastic. I need to watch that one again. Creepy as all hell. After watching that, seems like one could almost believe that the living could become the living dead, at least for a while. What a nightmare.

Sure, thats the way it starts... oooh isn't that interesting... we should study that more...

Next thing you know, your'e holed up in a shopping mall with a chainsaw and pump shotgun...

"Brraaaai-ai-ai-ainss!!" *munches on juantoo's frontal lobe* "Mmm. Nutritious."

Be sure to check the ingredient list...in this case junk food isn't as nutritious as advertised! :D Notice the warning in superfine print about Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis...

The Serpent and the Rainbow, as I remember it, is fantastic. I need to watch that one again. Creepy as all hell. After watching that, seems like one could almost believe that the living could become the living dead, at least for a while. What a nightmare.

Yeah, the whole voodoo - zombie thing is the stuff of nightmares. Good movie though...just don't watch if you plan on going straight to sleep.

Sure, thats the way it starts... oooh isn't that interesting... we should study that more...

Next thing you know, your'e holed up in a shopping mall with a chainsaw and pump shotgun...

It was a good run while it lasted.

From what I gather, the Serpent and the Rainbow is a loose biography of Wade Davis, liberally embellished, but that movie is "based on a true story." From what I saw on the PBS program (wish I caught the name, can't seem to find it), the main points and a lot of the main characters are indeed factual...including one of the zombies (scientifically confirmed) and one of the witch doctors. The recipe for the zombie potion in both programs is kept shrouded in secrecy, but the pufferfish is pointed to in both as the chief ingredient. The same Japanese delicacy that kills about a hundred people a year, fugu.

Is that an Army of Darkness reference? :)

Sure, that could happen. Or (more likely), you could find yourself holed up in a bar with your friends, and then your best friend turns into a zombie, but he doesn't want to be one, and then by the end of the movie, he's back at your house on the couch, playing video games like he always did, but he's still a zombie. It kind of sucks, but nothing much has really changed.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, go watch Shaun of the Dead.

That movie was awesome! I think I've seen almost every zombie movie ever made, why I remember when "Night of the Living Dead" hit the big screen for the first time. Made quite a stir back then. First black hero in a horror flick, and then the hero gets killed too.

return of the living dead.
horror/comedy...
"brains?......(zombie, looks and sees a gaggle of terrified teenagers)......More brains......
love it. lol

hmm brain eating ??? .......

Don't knock it 'till you try it

I might of watched the same program, I don`t remember if it was BBC.

But I rather got the impression that zombie making was a form of slavery, practiced by organized crime in the area. First they drug(puffer fish poison) the person up to make everyone think that the person is dead, then they dig the person up, and probably deprive that person of everything possible on drugs until that person is half brain dead. Kind of like a pimp on overdrive.

Anyways such evil people if they exist, need to die.. :D I`d be happy to decapitate them in this case.

TK

Oh, an old roommate of mine was telling me that in Portugal zombie`s are always strolling around.. He called it zombie hunting, btw. Don`t know if thats true.

TK

I rented The Serpent and the Rainbow this weekend, but have not watched it yet. I will probably watch it tonight. My wife is out of town so it's just me, the animals, and the zombies. This better be scary! I have seen the movie before, but it's been so many years that I only vaguely remember.

*Wanders over to the fridge and grabs a bucket of brains*

*Munches*

*Settles in on the couch with bucket of brains, dims lights, watches movie*

I might of watched the same program, I don`t remember if it was BBC.

But I rather got the impression that zombie making was a form of slavery, practiced by organized crime in the area. First they drug(puffer fish poison) the person up to make everyone think that the person is dead, then they dig the person up, and probably deprive that person of everything possible on drugs until that person is half brain dead. Kind of like a pimp on overdrive.
Sounds like you got the gist of the story.

While I agree the slavery aspects to the story are not to be condoned, I do find it interesting the association between the voodoo religion and the discovery of such a truly strange and highly dangerous medicine. The formula is complex enough that simple trial and error would have disasterous consequences. Indeed, in practice the program mentioned that perhaps half or more of the intended zombie victims perished anyway, in spite of efforts to revive them. Simply stumbling by accident onto such a complex formula would logically have to be ruled out, imho.

I rented The Serpent and the Rainbow this weekend, but have not watched it yet. I will probably watch it tonight. My wife is out of town so it's just me, the animals, and the zombies. This better be scary! I have seen the movie before, but it's been so many years that I only vaguely remember.

*Wanders over to the fridge and grabs a bucket of brains*

*Munches*

*Settles in on the couch with bucket of brains, dims lights, watches movie*

Yeah, I had to dig it out (!) and watch it again myself. Besides the spooky stuff, it has one of the most sensuous love scenes ever. Really a very under-rated movie, no doubt because of the subject matter.

Brains are bad for you though...high in cholesterol and calories. Liver gives you hypervitaminosis A, I guess that leaves the heart and kidneys. Kidney pie, anyone?

Back