Alzheimer's cure?

Dream

Reaction score
Over the last few years I've partially followed up (as a lay person) on one branch of research of Alzheimer's, specifically the beta amyloid theory. I'm wondering if anybody here has any thoughts on it? It appears from the following article that someone has discovered that Tumor Necrosis Factor may play a part and that injections of anti-TNF improved memory in some Alzheimer's patients within minutes. Does anyone know if there is a connection between TNF and beta-amyloid buildup?

Reversal Of Alzheimer's Symptoms Within Minutes In Human Study

The best understood theory on the 'How' of Alzheimer's is the beta-amyloid theory: The neurons in our bodies can have any of around 21 different kinds of chemical transfer passages built into their cytoplasm surfaces. These passages, which can act as ion-specific pumps and/or blockers, are called neuron channels or gates and are just as important as the electrical signals between our synapses. They insure proper numbers of ions, such as Calcium+ ionsdwell in the cells, creating the necessary electrical potential at various sites on each neuron. The theory I've been following suggests that some brains begin to accumulate too much of a class of protein called beta-amyloid which affects a type of neuron channel. Un-moderated, it causes cells to glut with Calcium ions until they explode, which is a mess causing further damage. Or something like that having to do with lots of beta-amyloids sticking together in plaques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyloid_beta

Alzheimer's cure?
Does symptom relief signify a cure? I guess that's why you're asking the question....

Why is there no long-term follow-up data? This study might have some heuristic value anyway.

Over the last few years I've partially followed up (as a lay person) on one branch of research of Alzheimer's, specifically the beta amyloid theory. I'm wondering if anybody here has any thoughts on it?
Dream, if you're referring to the mechanism of degeneration, it appears that cell death is only one possible explanation.

It appears from the following article that someone has discovered that Tumor Necrosis Factor may play a part and that injections of anti-TNF improved memory in some Alzheimer's patients within minutes. Does anyone know if there is a connection between TNF and beta-amyloid buildup?
There was a mice study: Yamamoto M, et al. (2007) Interferon-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alpha regulate amyloid-beta plaque deposition and beta-secretase expression in Swedish mutant APP transgenic mice. Am J Pathol 170:680–692.
Interferon-{gamma} and Tumor Necrosis Factor-{alpha} Regulate Amyloid-{beta} Plaque Deposition and {beta}-Secretase Expression in Swedish Mutant APP Transgenic Mice -- Yamamoto et al. 170 (2): 680 -- American Journal of Pathology

As you can see, Interferon-gamma also has role.

Here's a related human subjects study:
Loss of microRNA cluster miR-29a/b-1 in sporadic Alzheimer's disease correlates with increased BACE1/?-secretase expression ? PNAS

i sometimes wonder if i have early onset alzheimers. (im not kidding). My memory isnt good to start with, but sometimes, even when i am reminded of things from people (prompted, if you may), i dont recall these events or things. like, they just vanished. I did talk to my gp about it and she recommended i do crossword puzzles etc. (???)
I use to do them alot, but now i dont really have the time. But i do wonder...

Its noted in Japan and recommended that people who use their hands a lot, like pianists have less chances of getting Alzheimer`s. Personally I think staying active around people is key, and it gets hard to do that when friends start to pass away of old age.

TK

There seems to be ongoing studies focusing on DNA, the GAB2 and ApoE4 genes. According to an article I read it is noted that there is a paper published by the Neuron magazine that abnormal GAB2 genes increases the chances of ApoE4 gene carriers to get Alzheimer`s by four-fold.

Elsevier (GAB2)

Why ApoE4 increases Alzheimer's risk

I saw on the news a while ago that current studies may lead to the cure of Alzheimer`s. I couldn`t find specific links to those studies today, but if I remember correctly it referred to DNA studies.

TK

Dream, if you're referring to the mechanism of degeneration, it appears that cell death is only one possible explanation.

There was a mice study: Yamamoto M, et al. (2007) Interferon-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alpha regulate amyloid-beta plaque deposition and beta-secretase expression in Swedish mutant APP transgenic mice. Am J Pathol 170:680–692.
Interferon-{gamma} and Tumor Necrosis Factor-{alpha} Regulate Amyloid-{beta} Plaque Deposition and {beta}-Secretase Expression in Swedish Mutant APP Transgenic Mice -- Yamamoto et al. 170 (2): 680 -- American Journal of Pathology

As you can see, Interferon-gamma also has role.

Here's a related human subjects study:
Loss of microRNA cluster miR-29a/b-1 in sporadic Alzheimer's disease correlates with increased BACE1/?-secretase expression ? PNAS
Thanks. That is totally good news.
Greymare said:
My memory isnt good to start with, but sometimes, even when i am reminded of things from people (prompted, if you may), i dont recall these events or things. like, they just vanished. I did talk to my gp about it and she recommended i do crossword puzzles etc. (???)
I use to do them alot, but now i dont really have the time. But i do wonder...
These are all things I've heard, not verified:
Try eating more mustard and cummin spices in your meals, because I've heard they have ingredients which break up some of the plaques that tend form in brains as they age. Red beets are terrific for memory (although I don't like them). Crossword puzzles are nice, but learning new dance moves, languages, and doing exercise are probably also a good idea for keeping memory up -- probably a little more effective too. Try learning to be ambidextrous instead of right or left-handed. Laughter is important and necessary, and so is sleep. Above all, a genuinely positive attitude is medicine you cannot buy.
TheKahn said:
I saw on the news a while ago that current studies may lead to the cure of Alzheimer`s. I couldn`t find specific links to those studies today, but if I remember correctly it referred to DNA studies.
Totally awesome. I can't wait to kick Alzheimer's butt so we can get started on whatever is next.

Thanks Dream, Ill keep that in mind. Red Beets? Is that what we call beetrrot? I like it, especially on a burger.. mmmmm. lol. I laugh alot, but do lack sleep. So ill try more of that i guess. Thanks once again.

Back