Shadow of God

TheKhan

All Natural
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of what a "shadow of God" might be?

I came across an old martial art which the name has changed numerously.

Some of the names of this style are:

"Shin-Kage" meaning "god shadow".

"Shin-Kage" meaning "heart shadow" using different glyphs.

"Shinto" meaning "way of god".

Generally this was meant to symbolize that the martial art was handed down by a deity.

What I thought was a possible tremendously interesting topic to think about was what a
"shadow of God Almighty" might be
with regards to us and how that may possibly lead to knowledge that is productive to our lives.

Some of the first things that come to my mind are, can God have a shadow? meaning does he reflect light? Shadows are traditionally related to negative things too, so how can God`s shadow be a productive concept? etc..

Any thoughts on this?

TK

talking about shadow of God
Especially is Jehovah described as providing protective shade or shadow to his people (Ps 91:1; 121:5; Isa 25:4)

or giving them shadowlike protection under his "hand" or his "wings." (Ps 17:8; 36:7; 57:1; 63:7; Isa 49:2; 51:16)

On the other hand, "deep shadow" is associated with gloom, danger, even the grave"the land of darkness."—Job 10:21, 22; 24:17; 38:17; Ps 23:4.

in biblical hebrew, i believe the word for "shadow" may also be the word for "image", as in "in the Divine Image" - "tzelem"; i'm sure bob_x will correct me if i'm wrong, i haven't got my dictionary to hand.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Has anyone thought of what a "shadow of God" might be?

I came across an old martial art which the name has changed numerously.

Some of the names of this style are:

"Shin-Kage" meaning "god shadow".

"Shin-Kage" meaning "heart shadow" using different glyphs.

"Shinto" meaning "way of god".

Generally this was meant to symbolize that the martial art was handed down by a deity.

What I thought was a possible tremendously interesting topic to think about was what a
"shadow of God Almighty" might be with regards to us and how that may possibly lead to knowledge that is productive to our lives.

Some of the first things that come to my mind are, can God have a shadow? meaning does he reflect light? Shadows are traditionally related to negative things too, so how can God`s shadow be a productive concept? etc..

Any thoughts on this?

TK

have you ever read any Plato?

Ancient Greece - Knowledge and Learning - The British Museum

its a credible site (british museum).... hit link and in the bottom right, hit 'next' and follow the story

we live in the shadow of existence.............

the truth is the 'unveiling'

Interesting to hear how others think.
This just fascinates me like a box waiting to be unlocked, and hopefully when I unlock it a ton of information will come out.

talking about shadow of God
Especially is Jehovah described as providing protective shade or shadow to his people (Ps 91:1; 121:5; Isa 25:4)

or giving them shadowlike protection under his "hand" or his "wings." (Ps 17:8; 36:7; 57:1; 63:7; Isa 49:2; 51:16)

On the other hand, "deep shadow" is associated with gloom, danger, even the grave"the land of darkness."—Job 10:21, 22; 24:17; 38:17; Ps 23:4.

isnt a shadow like an absence of light......ie where it is blocked. ( i may be wrong i dont know, im just asking?)

Yes. And what`s fascinating is for example if God is light, then how can light project a shadow?
If not what is the light that God is projecting as His shadow?

in biblical hebrew, i believe the word for "shadow" may also be the word for "image", as in "in the Divine Image" - "tzelem"; i'm sure bob_x will correct me if i'm wrong, i haven't got my dictionary to hand.

b'shalom

bananabrain

I was just thinking about this. My initial thinking was does "God Shadow" mean "in the image of God".
As, if we were even just "Shadows of God" that would be a most grateful existence in itself for most of us I think.

have you ever read any Plato?

Ancient Greece - Knowledge and Learning - The British Museum

its a credible site (british museum).... hit link and in the bottom right, hit 'next' and follow the story

we live in the shadow of existence.............

the truth is the 'unveiling'

I`ve never read Plato. It makes sense. Coming out of the cave may be accomplished through praying to God and Jesus, IMO. I wonder if Plato noted on how to convince others that there was a world outside the cave.

PEACE.

TK

I`ve never read Plato. It makes sense.
Old stuff,

way back before Jesus' birth

Coming out of the cave may be accomplished through praying to God and Jesus, IMO. I wonder if Plato noted on how to convince others that there was a world outside the cave.

Just like Galileo and Darwin did; with knowledge everyone evolves.

isnt a shadow like an absence of light......ie where it is blocked. ( i may be wrong i dont know, im just asking?)

sounds about right to mee:) those in spiritual darkness would be without enlightenment.
just gloomy darkness

it seems in Egypt, the belief was that if a person does not leave a 'shadow' then no one will know they existed.

Look up the 'false door'

Here is what was written on one

"Never did (I) do any evil thing against people. (As for) those who will do something against this, it shall be protected from them".. (I) have constructed this my (tomb) with my own means. It is the god who will judge (my) case along with him who does anything against it."

I guess they knew, that each live in what they left, for their after-life.

In the New Testament:

Matthew 4:16
"The people that sat in darkness, hath seen great light: and to them that sat in the region of the shadow of death, light is sprung up."
Matthew is quoting Isaias, in reference to Jesus as the light.

Mark 4:32
"And when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches, so that the birds of the air may dwell under the shadow thereof."
So here shadow is under the cover of God, but ...

Luke 1:79
"To enlighten them that sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death: to direct our feet into the way of peace."
So I would say that we have to read 'shadow' as a metaphorical device, its meaning dependent on context.

+++

Acts Of Apostles 5:15
"Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that when Peter came, his shadow at the least, might overshadow any of them, and they might be delivered from their infirmities."
That's pretty powerful medicine, that even the shadow of the hearer can heal!

Colossians 2:17
"Which are a shadow of things to come, but the body is of Christ."

Hebrews 8:5
"Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things. As it was answered to Moses, when he was to finish the tabernacle: See (saith he) that thou make all things according to the pattern which was shown thee on the mount."

Hebrews 10:1
"For the law having a shadow of the good things to come, not the very image of the things... "

In the above, shadow implies things not seen. This is not the fault of the thing, but the viewer:
1 Corinthians 13:12
"We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know I part; but then I shall know even as I am known."

Then you need to look at the symbolism of the veil, and then, my friend, you're into the Mysteries and deep Christian esoterism.

Thomas

Yep..... Hebrew 8 is talking about the 'unveiling'

Hebrews 8

1And the sum concerning the things spoken of [is]: we have such a chief priest, who did sit down at the right hand of the throne of the greatness in the heavens,

2of the holy places a servant, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord did set up, and not man,

3for every chief priest to offer both gifts and sacrifices is appointed, whence [it is] necessary for this one to have also something that he may offer;

4for if, indeed, he were upon earth, he would not be a priest -- (there being the priests who are offering according to the law, the gifts,

5who unto an example and shadow do serve of the heavenly things, as Moses hath been divinely warned, being about to construct the tabernacle, for `See (saith He) thou mayest make all things according to the pattern that was shewn to thee in the mount;') --

6and now he hath obtained a more excellent service, how much also of a better covenant is he mediator, which on better promises hath been sanctioned,

7for if that first were faultless, a place would not have been sought for a second.

8For finding fault, He saith to them, `Lo, days come, saith the Lord, and I will complete with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah, a new covenant,

9not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, in the day of My taking [them] by their hand, to bring them out of the land of Egypt -- because they did not remain in My covenant, and I did not regard them, saith the Lord, --

10because this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord, giving My laws into their mind, and upon their hearts I will write them, and I will be to them for a God, and they shall be to Me for a people;

11and they shall not teach each his neighbour, and each his brother, saying, Know thou the Lord, because they shall all know Me from the small one of them unto the great one of them,

12because I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawlessnesses I will remember no more;' --
13 in the saying `new,' He hath made the first old, and what doth become obsolete and is old [is] nigh disappearing.

talking about the christ; the last chapter to remove the shadow of doubt (the religions).

Each will be equally aware, not told what to believe.

That is what 'truth' does

that is what the 'promise' (covenant) to mankind is all about!

My hunch tells me that a "Shadow of God" might have something to do with the Holy Spirit. Could be wrong..

Any opinions or insights?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I want to know what the Holy Spirit is as well. Never could understand it..

TK

depends on what the hebrew says. which verse are you thinking of?

b'shalom

bananabrain

I was thinking of "God created man in his own image".

Question, I don`t remember anything like the Holy Ghost or the Holy Spirit mentioned in the old testament. Besides the new Judaic traditions, are such things mentioned in the Judaic equivalent of the old testament by any chance? I assume Moses would know what the Holy Spirit would be, but I don`t recall any references to things like that.

TK

Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I want to know what the Holy Spirit is as well. Never could understand it..

TK

what is the holy spirit?

A comparison of Bible texts that refer to the holy spirit shows that it is spoken of as ‘filling’ people; they can be ‘baptized’ with it; and they can be "anointed" with it. (Luke 1:41; Matt. 3:11; Acts 10:38) None of these expressions would be appropriate if the holy spirit were a person.

Jesus also referred to the holy spirit as a "helper" (Greek, pa·ra´kle·tos), and he said that this helper would "teach," "bear witness," "speak," and ‘hear.’ (John 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26; 16:13)

It is not unusual in the Scriptures for something to be personified. For example, wisdom is said to have "children." (Luke 7:35)

Sin and death are spoken of as being kings. (Rom. 5:14, 21)

While some texts say that the spirit "spoke," other passages make clear that this was done through angels or humans. (Acts 4:24, 25; 28:25; Matt. 10:19, 20; compare Acts 20:23 with 21:10, 11.)

At 1 John 5:6-8, not only the spirit but also "the water and the blood" are said to ‘bear witness.’ So, none of the expressions found in these texts in themselves prove that the holy spirit is a person.

The correct identification of the holy spirit must fit all the scriptures that refer to that spirit. With this viewpoint, it is logical to conclude that the holy spirit is the active force of God. It is not a person but is a powerful force that God causes to emanate from himself to accomplish his holy will.—Ps. 104:30; 2 Pet. 1:21; Acts 4:31.

YES AND IT IS A FORCE IN MOTION :)

SPIRIT Definition:

The Hebrew word ru´ach and the Greek pneu´ma, which are often translated "spirit," have a number of meanings.

All of them refer to that which is invisible to human sight and which gives evidence of force in motion.

The Hebrew and Greek words are used with reference to

(1) wind,

(2) the active life-force in earthly creatures

(3) the impelling force that issues from a person’s figurative heart and that causes him to say and do things in a certain way,
(4) inspired utterances originating with an invisible source,
(5) spirit persons, and (6) God’s active force, or holy spirit.

Question, I don`t remember anything like the Holy Ghost or the Holy Spirit mentioned in the old testament. Besides the new Judaic traditions, are such things mentioned in the Judaic equivalent of the old testament by any chance? I assume Moses would know what the Holy Spirit would be, but I don`t recall any references to things like that.

TK

what Is the Holy Spirit?

In the Bible, God’s holy spirit is identified as God’s power in action. Hence, an accurate translation of the Bible’s Hebrew text refers to God’s spirit as "God’s active force." (Genesis 1:2)

This concept is well supported throughout the Bible.—Micah 3:8; Luke 1:35; Acts 10:38.

Question, I don`t remember anything like the Holy Ghost or the Holy Spirit mentioned in the old testament.
The Holy Spirit, as the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, is a revealed doctrine of Christianity.

The principle texts are in John:
John 14:16
"And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever."
The term parakletos (Gk masculine noun) meant 'one who pleads another's cause' — in those days a friend or patron (rather than a lawyer).

John 14:26
"But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name ..."
The Father 'sends' the Holy Spirit, another advocate, therefore one who is not simply this is not simply the spirit of the Father, as some insist, as the text is then illogical — how can God plead with Himself, unless He is of two minds, and undecided?

Therefore the paraclete must exist as an entity in its own right apart from the Father. An angel then? Well no, else that would be the term used.

John 15:26
"But when the Paraclete cometh, whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he shall give testimony of me."
The key texts here is 'the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father' — the Spirit of truth is a name of God, and thus the Spirit of truth is God, but other than the father, by relations, whilst one and the same Father, by substance and nature.

The Doctrine of the Trinity is the pre-eminent Christian esoteric teaching, as from here, all other 'esoteric' flow. From here we understand the relation of Son to the Father (Christology), and from thence the 'sonship' of man (theosis).

Thomas

i do recall, the comment of being 'like us'

but read for yourself, as it does seem the same foundation is within the three ladies (faiths of abraham)

Genesis - Chapter 3 (Parshah Bereishit) - Genesis

Genesis - Chapter 3 (Parshah Berei****)

19. With the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, until you return to the ground, for you were taken therefrom, for dust you are, and to dust you will return."

20. And the man named his wife Eve, because she was the mother of all life.

21. And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife shirts of skin, and He dressed them.

22. Now the Lord God said, "Behold man has become like one of us, having the ability of knowing good and evil, and now, lest he stretch forth his hand and take also from the Tree of Life and eat and live forever."

Hello y`all,

I`ve been reading up on the concept of the "Holy Spirit" as I`ve never really understood what It is. And so far nothing that I`ve found suggests that the "Shadow of God" is not the "Holy Spirit". In fact, if anything it seems more like the "Holy Spirit" is the "Shadow of God".

Hopefully in the near future I will have a clear intuitive understanding at heart of what the "Holy Spirit" is. If only if I could relate to the "Holy Spirit" from any of my past experiences.

Best regards,

TK

Hello y`all,

I`ve been reading up on the concept of the "Holy Spirit" as I`ve never really understood what It is. And so far nothing that I`ve found suggests that the "Shadow of God" is not the "Holy Spirit". In fact, if anything it seems more like the "Holy Spirit" is the "Shadow of God".

Hopefully in the near future I will have a clear intuitive understanding at heart of what the "Holy Spirit" is. If only if I could relate to the "Holy Spirit" from any of my past experiences.

Best regards,

TK

The psalmist sings:

"Anyone dwelling in the secret place of the Most High will procure himself lodging under the very shadow of the Almighty One. I will say to Jehovah: ‘You are my refuge and my stronghold, my God, in whom I will trust.’" (Psalm 91:1, 2)

By "lodging under the very shadow of the Almighty One," we experience God’s protective shade, or shadow. (Psalm 15:1, 2; 121:5)

There is no safer refuge or more formidable stronghold than our Sovereign Lord, Jehovah.Proverbs 18:10.

Back