Buddhist Near Death Experience reports

I think, by definition, if you come back, you haven't actually died. The precise moment of death is still a topic very much under discussion in the medical community.

I think, by definition, if you come back, you haven't actually died. The precise moment of death is still a topic very much under discussion in the medical community.
No prior to coming back my body had no vital signs, I was blue, no heartbeat no nothing. I had not seen my mom in years. She left when I was a very small child. I told her what I had remembered. How I was looking down at the doctor. She got very upset and said Do you know you died when you were born. No one had ever told me that. She said describe the doctor. I did. She said that was exactly what he looked like. I dont know what your definition of dead is but I was clinically dead.

I also did not feel that I was down there, as in connected to my body. I didnt feel like I was in two places at one time. That is dead. I dont remember the whole thing. I just remember being up there talking to someone looking down at the doctor. I dont remember going back into my body.

No prior to coming back my body had no vital signs, I was blue, no heartbeat no nothing. I had not seen my mom in years. She left when I was a very small child. I told her what I had remembered. How I was looking down at the doctor. She got very upset and said Do you know you died when you were born. No one had ever told me that. She said describe the doctor. I did. She said that was exactly what he looked like. I dont know what your definition of dead is but I was clinically dead.

We still don't know if there even is a precise moment of death. 'Vital signs' are limited to the technology of the measuring instrument. Measurements of brain activity with an EEG are, as far as I understand it, fairly gross. We just don't know what electrical activity is happening deep in the brain or the brain stem. I am undecided about NDE's. Maybe they are an experience of an external reality. Maybe they are a brain artifact. I just don't think we know enough to make a firm decision.

We still don't know if there even is a precise moment of death. 'Vital signs' are limited to the technology of the measuring instrument. Measurements of brain activity with an EEG are, as far as I understand it, fairly gross. We just don't know what electrical activity is happening deep in the brain or the brain stem. I am undecided about NDE's. Maybe they are an experience of an external reality. Maybe they are a brain artifact. I just don't think we know enough to make a firm decision.
I was clearly dead. I was above looking down at the doctor and I was not in two places at one time. If I was not dead I would have had the feeling of being in two places at one time. I would have felt attached to my body as well as being above it looking down. I didnt feel that way at all. I wish I could remember the whole thing but I cant. Everything is an extension of consciousness. My consciousness was not with my body. Look at ghosts. They still have an attachment to their bodies. I was definitely dead. Maybe if I went under hypnosis I would remember more. I mentioned being hypnotized to a doctor I had once. He said that the doctors working on my case talked about that but they thought that hypnosis might be traumatic to me so they decided not to do it.

I was clearly dead. I was above looking down at the doctor and I was not in two places at one time. If I was not dead I would have had the feeling of being in two places at one time. I would have felt attached to my body as well as being above it looking down. I didnt feel that way at all. I wish I could remember the whole thing but I cant. Everything is an extension of consciousness. My consciousness was not with my body. Look at ghosts. They still have an attachment to their bodies. I was definitely dead. Maybe if I went under hypnosis I would remember more. I mentioned being hypnotized to a doctor I had once. He said that the doctors working on my case talked about that but they thought that hypnosis might be traumatic to me so they decided not to do it.

I am not doubting your recollection of an experience. I am doubting your interpretation of it.

I am not doubting your recollection of an experience. I am doubting your interpretation of it.
It happened to me. This is no interpretation because I know what happened and how I felt. I was dead. No one else can interpret what happened to me without me.

It happened to me. This is no interpretation because I know what happened and how I felt. I was dead. No one else can interpret what happened to me without me.

Imagine you're walking down a street. A flying rock strikes you on the head. You see stars. The experience you had was a real experience. You did see disturbances in your visual field that looked like stars. But they weren't really stars in external reality, were they?

Imagine you're walking down a street. A flying rock strikes you on the head. You see stars. The experience you had was a real experience. You did see disturbances in your visual field that looked like stars. But they weren't really stars in external reality, were they?
I have gotton hit before hard enough to knock me out and I didnt see stars. Trying to interpret my experience would be like you telling me I saw stars when I know I didnt. First of all I had remembered this experience and never was told my whole life that I was dead when I came out of my mothers womb. Only after me telling my mother about what I remembered did she tell me that I was dead when I was born. She even tested me to see if what I said was true and asked what the doctor looked like and after describing him she said that is what he looked like. I was looking down at the doctor and talking to someone.

donnann, be careful with what you share on the internet, we are more likely to trust our OWN experiences then the other people on the internet. So when someone tells a story that we wouldn't think happened like that we interpret it our own way. Your story is very dear to you and you should share it with the people you trust, not the rest of us that will only question it.

I was clearly dead. I was above looking down at the doctor and I was not in two places at one time. If I was not dead I would have had the feeling of being in two places at one time. I would have felt attached to my body as well as being above it looking down. I didnt feel that way at all.
You are recounting your experience when you were just born and dead. Excellent memory, better even than computers. Once a computer is dead, it does not remember anything. What did you have for your breakfast yesterday? ;)
This is no interpretation because I know what happened and how I felt. I was dead. No one else can interpret what happened to me without me.
I think the catch lies somewhere there.

You are recounting your experience when you were just born and dead. Excellent memory, better even than computers. Once a computer is dead, it does not remember anything. What did you have for your breakfast yesterday? ;)I think the catch lies somewhere there.
Some yucky sausage. That is what I had for breakfast. I dont usually eat breakfast. I do have a good memory but I do not remember the conversation I had while up there talking to someone, just that I was up there talking to someone. Maybe whoever I was talking to doesnt want me to remember the conversation at this time. I was up there and apparently went back down into my body so I have memory of it.

Back