Face of god...

enlightenment

Reaction score
For those of you who haven't read my posts before, it is only fair to tell you that I am an atheist, which is to say that I do not believe in the idea of an all seeing, all powerful, all knowing god, as per the abrahamic faiths might teach.

I have already wondered at how so many often intelligent people would have such a great desire to reach some heaven, nirava, or some such, esp when they often are not able to actually tell you what it is like there.

Remember, it might be worth knowing, esp once you are there, you are going to spend a lot longer there than you did on earth, therfore, if it pans out as an awful place, well, maybe best to know a little more before signing up, that is what I am thinking.

I also genuinely marvel at the reverence that is given to a creator who appears so shy.

Why doesn't your creator show himself more? I think that is a fair question.

And it is a question that I would be asking myself, even if I did believe in a god, I would be asking why he had not visited earth more, engaged with his creation more often?

He could still afford us 'free will', and remain in touch..

Of course, some religous books have cited examples of those who have apparently met god, yet I have yet to read a definitive description of god.

God also seems to be rather shy, even in religous scripts.

Meeting one man alone, most often.

Hiding, on some occasions.

Issuing warnings to anyone that looked at his face.

Why not?

What is wrong with it?

Why would having a look be so bad, I do not get it?

Same with how some will miss out a vowel, when typing 'god'. No offence, but why? What does this actually do for your well being, and if the answer is vague, then why do it?

Do you think god would really care that David from Luton wrote the word god, and included a vowel?

Anyway, back to the face of god.

I assume Islamists pray to the same god as the other Abrahamic faiths, yet I am led to believe that it is FORBIDDEN to even imagine what god might look like, in the Koran.

I was told by a Muslim, therefore, if that us untrue or true, perhaps a Muslim might know?

Think about that for a second.

If it is true, then what sort of book would make it an offence for man to even mentally imagine what god might look like?

Talk about mind control.

It is human instinct to wonder, and entirely natural that a theist esp would imagine what their god to look like, rather than just shrug, and imagine the answer to be so beyond them, or that they are not meant to know.

Who knows.... You know there are some that say the voice of god would make you face implode... From it's sheer like, freaking power.... And we are but fragile iddle human beings... Perhaps his glory and magesty would makes us also just melt to pulp who knows....

First to me, the making of an image of G!d or not inserting the vowel have similar reasons. G!D cannot be explained, defined, designed or drawn in man's terms...whatever is described or painted or written is just a fragment of the whole and diminishes the whole in trying.

What I marvel at is your preoccupation with things spiritual. As a proud atheist your reasons for spending so much time trying to put believers in a box makes me think you must need to to calm your soul.

I also marvel at folks who wonder why 'intelligent' people would believe such nonsense, when folks like Darwin, a believer has his thesis so widely accepted amongst your brethren.

I also wonder why you don't contemplate why there is a higher majority of believers in the happier more successful crowd. Would you object if your heart surgeon said a prayer prior to surgery, would you object if you lawyer were a Jew?

Anywho, in my humble opinion my creator shows himself all the time, in the sunrise, in my childs eyes, in a hug, in the breeze thru the trees. You see nature...I do too, and thank G!d for its beauty and my time in it.

Why not?

What is wrong with it?

Same with how some will miss out a vowel, when typing 'god'. No offence, but why? What does this actually do for your well being, and if the answer is vague, then why do it?

Do you think god would really care that David from Luton wrote the word god, and included a vowel?

I assume Islamists pray to the same god as the other Abrahamic faiths, yet I am led to believe that it is FORBIDDEN to even imagine what god might look like, in the Koran.
As it turns out, there was a very emphatic claim that the Abrahamic god which Christians worship is absolutely not the same Moslem god. I don’t recall what thread that discussion is in but it was a recent series of posts.

As to your query regarding: "If it is true, then what sort of book would make it an offence for man to even mentally imagine what god might look like?"

It seems that god is willing to negotiate. Although, there are some disturbing implications with all of this.

God says very clearly in the Bible that he cannot lie: that is one of several things he cannot do.

Can it be conceded that lying is definable as changing one's mind capriciously? Allow me to paste a few of god's "mind changes" per the source material:

ON SEEING GOD
"... I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." -- Genesis 32:30

"No man hath seen God at any time..."-- John 1:18

ON MAKING GRAVEN IMAGES
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven...earth...water". (Lev. 26:1)

"[And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying...] And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them." (Exodus 25:18)

For those of you who haven't read my posts before, it is only fair to tell you that I am an atheist, which is to say that I do not believe in the idea of an all seeing, all powerful, all knowing god, as per the abrahamic faiths might teach.

I have already wondered at how so many often intelligent people would have such a great desire to reach some heaven, nirava, or some such, esp when they often are not able to actually tell you what it is like there.

Remember, it might be worth knowing, esp once you are there, you are going to spend a lot longer there than you did on earth, therfore, if it pans out as an awful place, well, maybe best to know a little more before signing up, that is what I am thinking.

I also genuinely marvel at the reverence that is given to a creator who appears so shy.

Why doesn't your creator show himself more? I think that is a fair question.

And it is a question that I would be asking myself, even if I did believe in a god, I would be asking why he had not visited earth more, engaged with his creation more often?

He could still afford us 'free will', and remain in touch..

Of course, some religous books have cited examples of those who have apparently met god, yet I have yet to read a definitive description of god.

God also seems to be rather shy, even in religous scripts.

Meeting one man alone, most often.

Hiding, on some occasions.

Why not?

What is wrong with it?

I was told by a Muslim, therefore, if that us untrue or true, perhaps a Muslim might know?

Think about that for a second.

If it is true, then what sort of book would make it an offence for man to even mentally imagine what god might look like?

Talk about mind control.

It is human instinct to wonder, and entirely natural that a theist esp would imagine what their god to look like, rather than just shrug, and imagine the answer to be so beyond them, or that they are not meant to know.

You are asking for some profound psychology to be explained in a post. It cannot happen. You must need to understand rather then support your denial. If all you are expressing is just idle curiousity then expect short glib answers. However if you can appreciate the reasoning behind the third commandment it would be a start.

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

Is this saying that God gets insulted and holds a grudge so be nice or is there another meaning?

You are asking for some profound psychology to be explained in a post. It cannot happen. You must need to understand rather then support your denial.

Support my denial?

Okay, what is it that I am meant to be understanding? Do you 'understand' it?

Thanks

Who knows.... You know there are some that say the voice of god would make you face implode... From it's sheer like, freaking power.... And we are but fragile iddle human beings... Perhaps his glory and magesty would makes us also just melt to pulp who knows....

Lol. There are some who say that if you look in the mirror at midnight, whilst reading the lord's prayer backwards, you will see a manifestation of 'satan' looking back at ya!

I am going to guess that one is an urban myth. :D

As it turns out, there was a very emphatic claim that the Abrahamic god which Christians worship is absolutely not the same Moslem god

Really?

Well I have been led to believe different then.

So, if you are right, that is at least two gods, right?

Not forgetting the old one's, huh...

Would you object if your heart surgeon said a prayer prior to surgery, would you object if you lawyer were a Jew?

Anywho, in my humble opinion my creator shows himself all the time, in the sunrise, in my childs eyes, in a hug, in the breeze thru the trees. You see nature...I do too, and thank G!d for its beauty and my time in it.

If I were going for heart surgery, I wouldn't give a hoot, as long as he was a good surgeon. Same with a lawyer. If he is good, doesn't allow his 'faith' to influence his job, then I have no issue with it.

As to the other, well, I suspected that someone might describe god in this manner.

No offence, but I don't really see it as an answer.

Sorry

:(

Lol. There are some who say that if you look in the mirror at midnight, whilst reading the lord's prayer backwards, you will see a manifestation of 'satan' looking back at ya!

I am going to guess that one is an urban myth. :D

difference between my example and yours... Yours can be prooven. ;)

Adeste fidele.

Ah, but how do you know? Have you tried it? If so, how many times? Perhaps you need to believe a little harder in order for it to work?

;)

Hehehe, likewise ;)

But, no you're right I haven't tried it... So, I guess for me personally it isn't proven, although as a kid (10 or so) I did the hail mary one lol...

Hehehe, likewise ;)

But, no you're right I haven't tried it... So, I guess for me personally it isn't proven, although as a kid (10 or so) I did the hail mary one lol...

The 'Hail Mary' one? Which one is that.

Seriously though, I would be more than happy to take part in any expermiment in which 'god' would reveal his face to me, and do so with sincerity.

I got it wrong... Been some years lol... "bloody Mary" three times in a dark room into a mirror... All stems from the Candyman lol...

I must admit the ever growing lack of presence of of a god makes me wonder....
Maybe we are forsaken.
Maybe it "isn't time" yet.
Maybe we are the gods and he our creation.

Maybe... We need just a lil' faith...

Seriously though, I would be more than happy to take part in any expermiment in which 'god' would reveal his face to me, and do so with sincerity.
hee hee, that is what is funny, you want a face revealed...look in the mirror...G!d is there...however you'll have to see thru your facade to find sincerity.

hee hee, that is what is funny, you want a face revealed...look in the mirror...G!d is there...however you'll have to see thru your facade to find sincerity.

Three lines, and they tell me nothing. If I looked in the mirror I would see ME looking back.

Your use of the word 'facade' brought a chuckle, though.

In an ironic sort of way.

So you don't need to understand but rather are only expresing an idle curiousity. Fair enough

It was a question.

To Wil.

WHAT is it I am meant to be understanding?

And, yes, I am curious how so many people can blindly follow the idea of a being you cannot see, and in some cases forbidden to imagine, an entity that shows you no evidence of his/it's existance, etc.

And if anyone says that all I need do is go look at the snowflakes, and that will do as proof, I think I will scream!

:D

Back