Birkat Hachamah

The sun – the engine of all life on earth – is a crucial blessing, and yet so often we take it for granted [pdf]

too true, am already warming to the blessed the sun
ta:)

Dauer, very interesting document. I note that it has rather spiritual content, and yet is was produced by the Conservative movement.

It seems that you have "transdenominational" inclinations, is that the case ? It seems that there might be great potential in this rising (like the sun, :)) movement, do you agree ?

I note that it has rather spiritual content, and yet is was produced by the Conservative movement.
Over the past few years the Conservative movement has seen a shift in its focus that's still taking place. Some of that is reflected in R' Ismar Schorsch stepping down as chancellor of JTS. He gave a speech when he was on his way out about focusing on the fundamentals, especially the study of Jewish texts from the critical perspective. It didn't connect with many of the new rabbis coming in who have much different concerns, reflecting in many ways their future constituents, who are more concerned with something that's meaningful and that they can connect with.

It seems that you have "transdenominational" inclinations, is that the case ?
Trans or post-denominational, yeah. You'll find BB identifies similarly.

I'm not particularly concerned with denominations. I think they all have things of value to share. I like those groups that bring people of different denoms together. For a little over a year I attended a pluralistic Jewish HS. Later I spent a little time at Hebrew College and maybe after I complete my BA I'll go back. I've done Shabbos with Jews in the Woods, a grassroots organization by and for college-aged people that plans shabbatonim which can be celebrated by a diverse group of people. They use a tri-chetza, a mechitza with three sections (women, mixed, men) each with its own baal tefilah in order to make things work out together. This weekend I may check out a new shul that has both a mechitza and a traditional egal minyan on Saturday mornings. The mechitza minyan joins the traditional egal for the Torah service and after it's over everyone does kiddush together.

It seems that there might be great potential in this rising... movement, do you agree ?
I do. I think those Jews who are religiously engaged today are frequently less concerned with the politics of the denominations than their parents' generation.

Last edited:
Alex,

there are blessings for most things in Judaism: (the sun, moon (monthly), rainbows, rain, food, the body's proper functioning when using the bathroom, etc.)

I shall read this link!!

RA is the word for evil? Wow.... I bet Ra isn't happy about that :/

Where does it bless the sun there? (me stoopid) I see it mentioned like three times, but it really is just going on about YHWH and how he is teh awesome.

Sorry never heard of this before so few questions that may seem like "Ugh stfu noob!"

Directions;

Place your feet together and glance once at the sun before reciting the following blessing. Once the blessing is begun, do not look at the sun at all.

Is that wise? I mean... I'd rather go with the latter underline at all times.... I kinda value my sight...

RA is the word for evil? Wow.... I bet Ra isn't happy about that :/
I spoke to Ra about it the other day. He could only manage to get out the words, "Ra mad! Ra smash!"

Where does it bless the sun there? (me stoopid) I see it mentioned like three times, but it really is just going on about YHWH and how he is teh awesome.
" Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the universe, who re-enacts the work of Creation."

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְיָ, אֱלֹהֵֽינוּ מֶֽלֶךְ הָעוֹלָם, עֹשֵׂה מַעֲשֵׂה בְרֵאשִׁית

Is that wise? I mean... I'd rather go with the latter underline at all times.... I kinda value my sight...
There's a difference between glancing at the sun and gazing at it. Have you ever watched the sun rise or set?

Hebrew fonts work properly now on the forums? :O

I spoke to Ra about it the other day. He could only manage to get out the words, "Ra mad! Ra smash!"

:( I'll have to pop over and comfort him when he calms a little....

" Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the universe, who re-enacts the work of Creation."

Ok sorry, I guess I am just "not getting" the blessing thing. :( Sorry Thanks for the reply to that!!!

There's a difference between glancing at the sun and gazing at it. Have you ever watched the sun rise or set?

Ok I think I get it!

Hebrew fonts work properly now on the forums? :O

הרחפתשלימלאהבצלופחיםהצילו! הצילו! הצילו! הצילו!

Oh wow man... wow... So like... lol wait wow...

If I eat something.... I have stolen it? Even if I myself grew this or already -paid- for it... I have to then give payment(blessings) again...? So... Like to look at the sun is PPV? And you have to give a payment there? And going to the toilet lol... Is that like a spiritual plumbing/water works payment?

Is payment really a good way to describe the blessing? Or is it not describing but it really is payment?

Cause like, we did not choose to live... It was put upon us.... And if it was at the hands of YHWH.... Did he not also give us -free- will and.......

1:28 God blessed them. God said to them, 'Be fertile and become many. Fill the land and conquer it. Dominate the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, and every beast that walks the land.
1:29 God said, 'Behold, I have given you every seedbearing plant on the face of the earth, and every tree that has seedbearing fruit. It shall be to you for food.
1:30 For every beast of the field, every bird of the sky, and everything that walks the land, that has in it a living soul, all plant vegetation shall be food.' It remained that way.

What is there to pay for :s

It's using payment as a metaphor. It would be better to ask, how is a bracha like a payment? From the same link:

In offering a greeting, one proclaims the other to be worthy of notice, worthy of some of his space. In refusing to return the greeting the other rejects the commonality of the first, even his humanity...

God’s actions in the world are not only actions, they are gestures to us, and when we understand them as such, we are bidden to respond. For those who see that the heavens are really God’s heavens, the gift of the earth must be responded to.

Whatever its literal meaning, the functional meaning of “Barukh atah” is “You are Present” and the blessing—when said mindfully—helps establish a relationship with God in the phenomenon at hand; in the taste of the apple, the smell of the rosemary. Jewish tradition even demands a blessing on hearing bad news, because God is somehow present even in tragedy, and can (and must) be met there.

...The refusal to respond to a beggar is linked to idolatry because there is no essential difference between erecting a wall against one’s fellow and erecting a wall against God, who demands to be treated as a “subject”, to be looked directly, so to speak, in the face. The experience of another subject creates a demand upon us by its very presence to make room to respond.

Alex - Of course I am ignorant of these things... But, that just sounds like sun worship.... :/ or moon or rainbow or rain or so on... School me!

Alex, one of the issues that I started discussing with Dauer on another thread is the issue of superstition. I tend to agree with you that praying to (or for) the sun sounds superstitious to me and in my mind, from a Jewish perspective, that might even be idolotrous :eek:.

In the broader context, much of mysticism seems like that to me (how is that for a sweeping generalization :rolleyes:) ? For example, I have heard Kabbalists talk about light in very imprecise ways.

I think Dauer has indicated that there might be a psychological context, at least for the astrology example in the parallel thread. That might be worthy of further consideration :confused: What do you think ?

Avi,

why don't you create a new thread on superstition and Judaism? That way we can discuss it further.

Shalom Avi!

Alex, one of the issues that I started discussing with Dauer on another thread is the issue of superstition.
When in Rome.....

to me and in my mind, from a Jewish perspective, that might even be idolotrous :eek:.

Any perspective.... It is what it is Avi....

i·dol·a·trous (ī-dŏl'ə-trəs)
adj.
Given to blind or excessive devotion to something: "The religiosity of the [group] is self-righteous and idolatrous. It perceives no virtue in its opponents and magnifies its own" (Christopher Lasch).
i·dol'a·trous·ly adv., i·dol'a·trous·ness n.

I 'think' if you are going to bless something on q, then that can be seen as devotion. Even habits/routines can be said to be idolatrous... So I 'think' you make a valid point.

---EDIT---

Love your penguin btw.

Alex,

devotion doesn't fit the definition for the English-language word idolatry that you provided unless it's excessive. For the definition to be of more value, we would have to define at what point devotion becomes excessive.

edit: I would actually make the case that the brachot are a safeguard against idolatry.

Dunno exactly, and excessive devotion cannot be defined by quantity if that's what you're suggesting. To expand on what I said above: "I would actually make the case that the brachot are a safeguard against idolatry."

The mitzvot connect one's actions and the happenings in one's life back to G!d. By being inclusive they prevent a person from idolatry, from excessive devotion to work, to drugs, to isolationist spiritual exploration. They demand of a person full engagement with the world in which they live.

Back