Yogananda on Religion

GlorytoGod

There is a River
Reaction score
well I think he talking about religion

Do away with masks ! Come openly as sons of God - not by hollow proclamations and learned-by-heart prayer, fireworks of intellectually worded sermons contrived to praise God and gather converts, but by realization ! Become identified not with narrow bigotry, masked as wisdom, but with Christ Consciousness. Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually; then you will no who Jesus Christ was, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, all sons of One God

Beautiful NA,

And G2G, exactly the kind of stuff I get called heretical for....be careful there!

Seriously it all resonates so well with me...and if I were to have a proslytizing wish it would be that it would resonates with all....

thanx both of ya... perfect way to get my morning sermon on a lazy Sunday morn prior to waking the kids to head off on holiday!!

Yeh, I can go with the above quote..and it also reminds me a lot of Baha'i teaching:

Briefly; the old conditions of animosity, bigotry and hatred between the religious systems must be dispelled and the new conditions of love, agreement and spiritual brotherhood be established among them.

Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 239

Yeh, I can go with the above quote..and it also reminds me a lot of Baha'i teaching:

Briefly; the old conditions of animosity, bigotry and hatred between the religious systems must be dispelled and the new conditions of love, agreement and spiritual brotherhood be established among them.

Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith, p. 239

Amen to that

Beautiful NA,

And G2G, exactly the kind of stuff I get called heretical for....be careful there!

Seriously it all resonates so well with me...and if I were to have a proslytizing wish it would be that it would resonates with all....

thanx both of ya... perfect way to get my morning sermon on a lazy Sunday morn prior to waking the kids to head off on holiday!!

yeah its good I should recite that every morning for the next week.

Quote:

Do away with masks ! Come openly as sons of God - not by hollow proclamations and learned-by-heart prayer, fireworks of intellectually worded sermons contrived to praise God and gather converts, but by realization ! Become identified not with narrow bigotry, masked as wisdom, but with Christ Consciousness. Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually; then you will know who Jesus Christ was, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, all sons of One God
well I think he talking about religion
:D I'm loving it. :D
There is only One way of looking at it and all the religions of the world don't have it.
The One Way includes all the others, like broken bits of a holographic plate, they need to be put together to get the whole picture.
If you are stuck in any one of the current religions you are only getting a fragment.
Crumbs from the table they are.

:D I'm loving it. :D
There is only One way of looking at it and all the religions of the world don't have it.
The One Way includes all the others, like broken bits of a holographic plate, they need to be put together to get the whole picture.
If you are stuck in any one of the current religions you are only getting a fragment.
Crumbs from the table they are.

i disagree, i would say that all true religions have it but they also have a load of other stuff as well.

i disagree, i would say that all true religions have it but they also have a load of other stuff as well.
Namaste G2G,

You are correct as EVERY religion has had man's hand on it, and man's limited ability to interpret inspiration/G!d etc. And the continuing influence of man in interpretting man's orginal limited interpretation....

But the essence is there...we just got to seek...

That is what I mean.
They have a partial portion of "it". (crumbs from the table)
By themselves as stand-alone units they do not have all that one needs, but when one looks at each of them, all together, a bigger picture emerges.

I gave the example of a holograph broken, maybe you have never seen what that is, but each piece has the same picture as the original, but it is diminished and sometimes distorted as a result of being broken.
No different than all the worlds religions, which are fragments of something bigger and better.

So you disagreed with what you interpreted me to mean but were incorrect in your interpretation of what I meant.....classic.:D

Hi Guys, I am just going to do a quick interfaith experiment here (by now you probably realize I am an experimentalist).

I am taking G2G's beautiful poem and just make a few slight revisions (which I have highlighted in bold), and I would like to get your feedback:

Do away with masks ! Come openly as sons of G-d - not by hollow proclamations and learned-by-heart prayer, fireworks of intellectually worded sermons contrived to praise G-d and gather converts, but by realization ! Become identified not with narrow bigotry, masked as wisdom, but with Moses Consciousness. Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually; then you will know who Moses was, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, all sons of One G-d

Any comments, please ?

Oh, and if you tell me your thoughts, I will tell you the purpose of my experiment.

Hi Guys, I am just going to do a quick interfaith experiment here (by now you probably realize I am an experimentalist).

I am taking G2G's beautiful poem

its not my poem I was quoting Paramahansa Yogananda.

Any comments, please ?

Oh, and if you tell me your thoughts, I will tell you the purpose of my experiment.

another one for the mix?

Quote:
'Do away with masks ! Come openly as sons of man - not by hollow proclamations and learned-by-heart prayer, fireworks of intellectually worded sermons contrived to praise man and gather converts, but by realization ! Become identified not with narrow bigotry, masked as wisdom, but with brotherly Consciousness. Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually; then you will know how brotherhood is, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, all sons of One humanity'.

all sounds good to me for the hear and now:)

I am taking G2G's beautiful poem and just make a few slight revisions (which I have highlighted in bold), and I would like to get your feedback:

Any comments, please ?

Do away with masks ! Come openly as sons of G-d - not by hollow proclamations and learned-by-heart prayer, fireworks of intellectually worded sermons contrived to praise G-d and gather converts, but by realization ! Become identified not with narrow bigotry, masked as wisdom, but with Moses Consciousness. Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually; then you will know who Moses was, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, all sons of One G-d
I am not sure what G-d is about ?

But the original Poem refers to Christ Consciousness because the Bible talks about Jesus Christ being the Word of God that created the universe and everything in it, in the Bible Moses is not this he was a friend of God, but Jesus is literally the word of God, that is my understanding of the Poem anyhow.

Moses brings thoughts of the Law and covering the glory shining from ones head from exposure to enlightened thoughts, the whole age of Aries over again
G-d is a spelling style which is only applicable to those of the Jewish path who have cut a brit with G*d and are not allowed to say the name of G*d even though G*d is not "the Name" it has become the fashion to do such a thing, or speak of Hashem (The Name), just to be on the safe side as one does not wish to transgress and receive a smiting.

Do away with masks ! Come openly as participants with the Universal Mind - not by hollow proclamations and learned-by-heart prayer, fireworks of intellectually worded sermons contrived to praise the Most High and gather converts, but by realization that you too are an intrinsic part ! Become identified not with narrow bigotry, masked as wisdom, but with expanded Consciousness. Become identified with Universal Love, expressed in service to all, both materially and spiritually; then you will know what LIFE is, and can say in your soul that we are all one band, one tribe, all people of One nation

Any comments, please ?

Yeah or subsitute Krishna, or Buddha, or Mohamed...

My thoughts? I've expressed them elsewhere....I will again. I believe the essence, the spirit, the all pervasive entity some of us refer to as G!d, has sent many 'sons' and spoke to many 'prophets' and many a common man and perceived wacko has heard him as well. Of the billions of encounters we've got a few folks that have listened long enough and understood enough to get some others to understand what they were saying...

And my belief is that for some Krishna was enough...others didn't get it and Judaism was enough, for me an my clan, it took the words of Jesus for us to understand what it meant to be the Christ, and then still others needed Buddha, Mohamed, Joe Smith, Bob Marley....etc.

But the blessing is, G!d won't stop trying to get us to realize our oneness with the creator....

The OP reminded me of a real life interfaith experience.

I participated in a series of interfaith dialogues. I found that I particularly liked a Methodist Pastor who led several of the sessions. So after one of the sessions I asked him about his vision for interfaith. He told me that he would love to see interfaith include people of different faiths praying together.

Sure enough at the next session which he led, he asked that we pray together. I have to say that I found it difficult. I felt that I was reciting a prayer from another religion, which I am not a member and I just did not feel right.

I wonder if that was the point that he was trying to make. That we should think about why it might not feel right.

When I read G2G's (Yogananda's) short prayer in the OP, it didn't feel quite right to me. Had it been in the Christian sub-forum I would not have spoken. But it was posted in the Belief and Spirituality sub-forum, one of the main interfaith sub-forums.

So the experiment that I posted was substituting my prophet for your prophet, my G-d for your God.

I was wondering if seeing a prayer with a Jewish prophet and Jewish G-d, if anyone else might feel not quite right.

Please do not misunderstand me. I realize that it might be me, I might be wrong in my reactions.

So the result of my experiment is, I still wonder, it is possible to really share intimate feelings of other faiths while still holding on to our own faith ??

Maybe the point Avi, is to expand our faith.
We grow up in this compartmentalized microcosm and figure that all that is, is what we see around us, but, as we mature, we learn that this is not so, that there is so much more that we don't know.
Then, at some point, perhaps due to our "educational" experiences, we reach a point where we again, think that we know all we need in regards to what is truly important.
These are stages of opinion.
We reach plateau's, but there is in truth, so much more to this mountain range than we assume.
Some do not reach that point.
They figure that they "know" what they need to in this life and they stop there.
Glad to see you making your way into deeper waters.:)

Back