What is Satan and how does he influence my life?

citizenzen

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest here. I am a Buddhist and a non-theist (if that's even a word). I make plenty of mistakes every day. I often choose to follow a course of action that is not wholesome. I am prone to selfishness, laziness and arrogance. All of these things I see as my shortcomings, my "faults", my responsibility to fix.

But lately, I've been reading (skimming) a lot of posts about Satan, and I wonder how would you describe his influence on your life and the lives of others?

What impact does Satan really have?

I am a Christian and a theist. I make plenty of mistakes every day. I often choose to follow a course of action that is not wholesome. I am prone to selfishness, laziness and arrogance. All of these things I see as my shortcomings, my "faults", my responsibility to fix.

Satan encourages me to focus on the world and excuse my selfishness, laziness and arrogance, rather than turning to the One who can help me face my shortcomings and give me strength to change them.

Satan has no power on his own...only what we hand to him.

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest here. I am a Buddhist and a non-theist (if that's even a word). I make plenty of mistakes every day. I often choose to follow a course of action that is not wholesome. I am prone to selfishness, laziness and arrogance. All of these things I see as my shortcomings, my "faults", my responsibility to fix.

But lately, I've been reading (skimming) a lot of posts about Satan, and I wonder how would you describe his influence on your life and the lives of others?

1 JOHN 5;19
weather we realize it or not, the whole world is in the power of the wicked one(satan the devil )

so make no mistake about it, he has great influence indeed.

and even more so since 1914 when he was cast out of heaven and down to the earth. revelation 12;9

before 1914 he was allowed into heaven and the earth, but after 1914 when he was cast out of heaven , he was not allowed back into heaven any longer. That is why he is very angry and causes lots more problems down here since 1914.

Not for much longer though, because he only has a short period of time left before he is put away for a 1000 years .

And then he will not be able to misled anyone .

I am a Christian and a theist. I make plenty of mistakes every day. I often choose to follow a course of action that is not wholesome. I am prone to selfishness, laziness and arrogance. All of these things I see as my shortcomings, my "faults", my responsibility to fix.

Satan encourages me to focus on the world and excuse my selfishness, laziness and arrogance, rather than turning to the One who can help me face my shortcomings and give me strength to change them.

Satan has no power on his own...only what we hand to him.

what is a theist ?

what is a theist ?

someone who believes in a supernatural g#d, monotheist one g#d,polytheist more than one g#d. deists believe a supernatural entity aka g#d who once creating the universe played no more part in it , see thomas paine essays in
Welcome To The Deism Site!.
atheist of course believe there is nothing more that the natural world, ie nothing supernatural or immaterial.

because Satan's not in a guitar pick, he's inside all of us. In here [taps you on your chest]

in your hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or exercise, or tell the truth. He's what makes us want to party and have sex with each other all night long. He's that little voice in your mind that says "F**k you" to the people you hate. Now you can stay out here and fight on the ground and cry like babies, or you can go in there like friends and rock. So, what's it gonna be?
----------------------------------------

I love that quote...

What impact does he have.... a good one.

Another quote I like is Volitares last words from his breath, when the priest tells him to renounce satan on his death bed.... "now now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies...."

Apart from some of the things said about Satan in this thread, I am shocked that people have been speaking so injudiciously about Satan.

One must be careful of the kind of thinking fundamentalists have, that anything unfavourable to their cause is part of a cosmic and supernatural struggle, when there is a mental, emotional, psychological, social or political explanation.

A lot of my shortcomings are due to my own personal problems but that is a part of my life story, my personal journey through life. There is no need to make up a conspiracy when I know what I lack as a human being and need to grow to fill in those holes in my life. If I suffer from depression, it is not because Satan is holding me back, hurting or damaging me. It's because I am inadequate and because I personally need to develop some aspect of my personality and being further.

The only time I should blame Satan is when I have tried everything, when I am as strong as ever, done everything right, explored all social and political possibilities, opportunities and avenues for a constructive agenda, done everything I can within my ability and potential, and still, as if some force were consciously and mindfully in my way, I am barred from doing what I want -- only then should I suspect a cosmic and supernatural influence and blame a demon or Satan.

I protest against this injudicious association of problems in life with Satan.:eek:

The Scriptures indicate that the creature known as Satan did not always have that name.
Rather, this descriptive name was given to him because of his taking a course of opposition and resistance to God.

and yes many follow the same course as satan , opposition and resistance to God , and the God of the bible is
(Jehovah)
psalm 83;18

yes the whole world really is in the power of the wicked one (satan the devil )
1 john 5;19

there is much opposition to the true God JEHOVAH

Just curious what was his name before satan?.... Azazel(pbuh) right?

Who here knows their hebrew? Isn't our dear friends name.... so.... so..... Suiting....
he was only given a name after he began that rebellious way , think about what that name means .

[Resister].

Early in human history, when mankind had its start in the garden of Eden, an angel of God became rebellious.

Why?

Because he was not satisfied with his role in Jehovah’s heavenly arrangement

With the creation of Adam and Eve, he saw an opportunity to divert their obedience and worship away from the true God and to himself.

By rebelling against God and by inducing the first human pair to pursue a sinful course, this angel made himself Satan the Devil.
In time, other angels got involved in his rebellion. How?—Genesis 3:1-6; Romans 5:12; Revelation 12:9.

Satan is “a liar and the father of the lie,” but he portrays himself as “an angel of light.” (John 8:44; 2 Corinthians 11:14)

He has the power and the methods needed to blind the minds of the world’s rulers and their subjects.
With propaganda and religious myths and lies, he has deceived mankind.

Satan does not exist. At least not as a literal being pulling our strings (We are not puppets). Our mistakes and shortcomings are a result of our nature, and self will.

I've been reading these Satan posts myself. I've always viewed Satan as a Christian scape goat ... Someone to point our fingers at when [We] do something wrong (Kinda childish if you think about it).

If there is a real Satan and He is pulling our strings, tempting us to live contrary to G-ds will, then what part do I play in my mistakes, and shortcomings? Why would I be responsible at all?

Meh, Satan is a term used for adversary, and can be anything from an accusatory neighbor to my selfish pride. :cool:

GK

(We are not puppets).

You sure about that?

I've always viewed Satan as a Christian scape goat ... Someone to point our fingers at when [We] do something wrong (Kinda childish if you think about it).

woe to thee O'Azazel! For thy shoulders shall burden that which He can not bear...... For thy mouth of thy lord hath spoken....

I feel a drawing coming on.....

Yes very childish.... Very... christian. :)

If there is a real Satan and He is pulling our strings, tempting us to live contrary to G-ds will, then what part do I play in my mistakes, and shortcomings? Why would I be responsible at all?

I think you got the right idea, but the wrong puppet master....

Meh, Satan is a term used for adversary, and can be anything from an accusatory neighbor to my selfish pride. :cool:

Or it can be seen as a positive adversary.... Adverse to alot of negative bs. To oppose isn't always a bad thing..........

One love.

I think Satan is just a personification of (1) our own flaws in humanity and (2) causes of things we perceive as "bad" such as natural disasters. I think both are not very useful ideas. The former abdicates our responsibility for our own lives and the latter is pointless and furthers suffering. Natural disasters, disease, and death are the natural and positive processes of decay necessary for ongoing creation to occur. If we approach these processes with the right awareness, we can make meaning of any pain they cause.

I don't see where Satan plays into any of it, to be honest.

You sure about that?
Yup, I'm certain unless you or someone else can convince me otherwise.
woe to thee O'Azazel! For thy shoulders shall burden that which He can not bear...... For thy mouth of thy lord hath spoken....
I feel a drawing coming on.....
I'd love to see the finished work ....
I think you got the right idea, but the wrong puppet master....
You'll have to explain what you are suggesting, bro. We're not puppets, we are are a free willing, death dealing, and selfish species. Nothing is controlling our actions.We have our own will, and that is exactly what we are called to give up for Christ. We are responsible for what we do, and what we don't do. Otherwise we are just pawns in a big game of chess.
Or it can be seen as a positive adversary.... Adverse to alot of negative bs. To oppose isn't always a bad thing..........
One love.
Nope, but there is no literal Satan who is against me, and certainly not against God. I myself oppose many things, so I would be considered an adversary for some (Including myself). Meaning, I don't always like the things I do, but when I'm mindful of how my actions effect others, I recognize and I repent, or make amends. I do believe that God leads us, but His leading can in no way be considered forced control as with a puppet.. We submit willingly to God when we are ready ....

GK

I think Satan is just a personification of (1) our own flaws in humanity and (2) causes of things we perceive as "bad" such as natural disasters. I think both are not very useful ideas. The former abdicates our responsibility for our own lives and the latter is pointless and furthers suffering. Natural disasters, disease, and death are the natural and positive processes of decay necessary for ongoing creation to occur. If we approach these processes with the right awareness, we can make meaning of any pain they cause.

I don't see where Satan plays into any of it, to be honest.

And what of god? Is he not just a personification of (1)our own strong/good points in humanity (2)causes of things we perceive as "good" such as natural beauty.

And what of god? Is he not just a personification of (1)our own strong/good points in humanity (2)causes of things we perceive as "good" such as natural beauty.

Only if we personify the Divine. The other option: God exists, but not as a human-like entity.

Satan, the Illusion, is how I would interpret his influence on the lives of Buddhists! Sin would be equated with ignorance, so the ignorance from humankind springs forth from the Illusion. To me, the Illusion promotes a false perception of reality or how things really are. For example, I may identify myself with the clothes I wear or the money I make, but this is a false reality I hold tightly to due to the power I let the Illusion rule over me. While having these things is okay, it is not well for us as human beings to let these things possess us. One only has to look at the materialism preached in hip-hop culture as an example. From this perspective, I would say that depression for healthy human beings as also coming from the Illusion. I need to see my true being, which basks itself in pure love 24/7.

God is love.

Methinks the Shaytan and Shaitan, the Jewish and Islamic equivalents of Satan aren't nearly as "naughty," ferocious or diabolical as the "traditional/conventional" Christian concepts of Satan. Far from it.

Have a read of the New Testament. Why should we think of Satan in Christianity as any different from Shaytan or Shaitan? What have we been fed?

Even the Satan portrayed in the New Testament doesn't seem as ferocious as the contemporary, modern and what some call "traditional/conventional" Christian concept of Satan. I think we've been misled by the fundamentalists once again. We have been taught to adopt an unhealthy obsession with angels and demons.

This concept of Satan as the master god of evil seems to deviate from Christianity's Jewish roots. Shaytan, if my impression is correct, seems more like a mischievous court jester cracking bad jokes.

We've turned a tiny rat into a big, hairy monster.

Back