shawn

Reaction score
Here is a pic of some of our recent work in stone:
I hope this upload pic works.

Attachments

• collage-2.jpg
    collage-2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 295
the horse and the wolf are 2 feet square made of slate, granite and travartine.
The eagle is 16 inchs square and is granite.
The salmon is 2 feet X 1 feet and is made of slate and travartine.
All are mounted on 1/2 inch concrete board with premium mortar.
All joints are grouted with epoxy.

Last year I started doing these things more seriously as I am looking for a way to get out of the treadmill of site work.....and then the big cash crunch happened and there was no work for a month (nov), and I realized that when the times are tough, art is one of the first things to go, so I haven't made any more pieces yet.
But I have been busy doing site work, I now get to work harder for less money and the people I get work through justify it by saying we have to be competitive to get the work.
I'm happy to be working, but these intentionally manufactured recessions really suck.

Very nice - love the colouring on the salmon. :)

marquetry in stone, how original, perhaps co-joining with other artists for making an exhibition of yourself! normally a recession doesnt hit art connoisseuers hard at the top end but a gallery l garden for has been feeling the pinch with this one too [though they get a few orders via a web site].

What wonderful work!! I am well impressed.

(I have always had a quiet yearning to work in stone)

Last year I started doing these things more seriously as I am looking for a way to get out of the treadmill of site work.....and then the big cash crunch happened and there was no work for a month (nov), and I realized that when the times are tough, art is one of the first things to go, so I haven't made any more pieces yet.
But I have been busy doing site work, I now get to work harder for less money and the people I get work through justify it by saying we have to be competitive to get the work.
I'm happy to be working, but these intentionally manufactured recessions really suck.
art may be the first things to go...but these peices are the type that go in comercial and govt building lobbies and if you get your pix out and get into doing logos and emblems you'll be busy supplying shops that don't have that talent!

now, i think wil and i are on the same page. lol
make the "businesses" your art. if you did some art/stone of some business, or a computer generated likeness im sure you would be employed more than you would want. you are very talented, i love your work. business may not be art, but you could make it by doing something like this for the commercial sector.

Thanks for the nice comments, it is encouraging.
I have bought that dreamweaver program and my oldest son is putting together a website so we will have a better edge.
I do these pieces by hand with a ring saw, but now there is this technology called water-jets which can cut anything and they have been embraced by the stone industry as they make absolutely perfect cuts and flawless work which is impractical and even impossible to replicate by other means.
The downturn has left them also looking for ways to pay off their expensive machinery and so the top end work gets snapped up by them.
My stuff kind of falls into another niche where people appreciate the fact that the work was done by hand and not a CNC machine.
So we shall see what occurs.

My wife and I made hand tufted rugs (made with a tufting gun or stock carpet cut into paterns and fabricated together into larger pieces) years ago and then the market was flooded with product which came from mexico and India and elswhere and we couldn't even buy the raw materials for a piece for the price they were selling their finished product for in many cases.
So we basically packed up the tools and haven't made a piece in years now.

Ah, but this too shall pass.

lol, im sure it will. I really admire creative people as yourselves. I am not particularly creative but i think that most people appreciate hand made things so much more than machineray made etc. "Just keep swimming..."

Thanks for the nice comments, it is encouraging.
I have bought that dreamweaver program and my oldest son is putting together a website so we will have a better edge.
I do these pieces by hand with a ring saw, but now there is this technology called water-jets which can cut anything and they have been embraced by the stone industry as they make absolutely perfect cuts and flawless work which is impractical and even impossible to replicate by other means.
The downturn has left them also looking for ways to pay off their expensive machinery and so the top end work gets snapped up by them.
My stuff kind of falls into another niche where people appreciate the fact that the work was done by hand and not a CNC machine.
So we shall see what occurs.

Ahhhh.... I ask... would you like a CNC? Sounds like a cool machine to me!!

But I get your point. It is usually tough to make a living doing things that inspire you.

A water-jet would be the ultimate tool for sure.
But I priced one out a year ago and with all the bits and pieces it is around $400 000 american, ( it costs about $27/hr to operate), then you need a large shop to hold it and the peripherals which racks up the price tag to ....presently beyond my reach.
So I work within my range.

I knew a guy who built a CNC for wood with router bits...

Yeah did some incredible stuff, but it left the art of chisels and knives to sitting at a computer...

I can see your issue.

Love the art, art is love. And as love, it changes me, as all things, into all things.

As an end, art is not valued for what it can get, but what it gives. And then again, a giving nature has nothing to do with any return, except for praise. And as a stepping stone the praise for art cycles into other forms of goodness which rises up as prayer, or praise into the heavens, until we look up into the heavens and see, into the face of God. We become one in the face of a cloud, or for me a subtle leaf as it skips by in the wind... still the cloud, seen and unseen, as an angel of light, in what we give.

Art is what we become.

Back