Race/Ethnicity

Postmaster

Reaction score
Okkk heres a topic that I don’t know if has ever been started, although it certainly has been discussed.

Does ethnicity have anything to do with how people behave and if it does to what extent?

I know that secretly many people and from various ethnics backgrounds seem to think theirs is better than the next. Is it at all possible that certain ethnic backgrounds have a tendency to behave in a more positive or negative way towards society on the basis of their racial background, in the same way various species of animals behave, less or more aggressively? I mean even within certain ethnic groups, family line can and does pass on certain characteristic traits, can this happen on a people as a whole and if it does should it matter? i.e politically, insurance policies. Also ethnicity plays a role in the nature of love and attraction does this also contribute to a bias that can extend politically and tribally?

Does ethnicity have anything to do with how people behave and if it does to what extent?

I've got no evidence one way or another but I'd say there does exist some predisposition based on ethnicity but the major factor is the environment in which one is raised...or even the environment in which one gains access to later on in life.

I have a pride in being Scottish. Though my father was born in Wales to Swedish parents and my mothers line goes back to France, (Stewarts). I think it has nothing to do with race/ethnicity and everything to do with environment. And it is the environment that allowed Scotland to be at the leading edge of education, science, literature and thinking in general that fills me with a pride born of appreciation for my good fortune. It is not because I think I am better than any other but that I have been very fortunate in happening to be born and raised here.

either im havin a dejavu, or this topic did get posted before... anywayZ

It is totally dependent on your perspective. I was watching a lecture on linguistics once by Noam Chomsky (google talk, I think) and he said that from the point of view of Aliens, if they came to earth and they analyzed humanity as a species, they wouldnt even differentiate between out languages !! :eek: For an alien, all our so called differences, would be so minimal that for them, it would seem as if there is just one human being copy/pasted billions of times (lol). Our languages (which seem to us, so distinct,) are at a structural level almost exactly the same. Take Japanese and English, two seemingly very different systems, but when analyzed, Chomsky said that the two are almost mirror images (front to back) of each other.

The same is the case with ethnicity. All of these so called differences are no different at the end of the day then the percieved differences between Yankee and Red Sox fans, or ManU and Liverpool zealots.... or India and Pakistan cricket fanatics... at the end of the day: idiots, the lot of 'em. (lol)

Oh ok maybe it has Code.

I agree that environment is the biggest factor for behavior of a person. But isn't it certain groups of people that created the stability of an environment in the first place, maybe through racial disposition? Also is it at all possible given a certain amount of time differing racial groups that have been allowed into this environment, absorb it, but could eventually destroy it? This a truly hypothetical question. I would lean towards no personally.

It is totally dependent on your perspective. I was watching a lecture on linguistics once by Noam Chomsky (google talk, I think) and he said that from the point of view of Aliens, if they came to earth and they analyzed humanity as a species, they wouldnt even differentiate between out languages !! :eek: For an alien, all our so called differences, would be so minimal that for them, it would seem as if there is just one human being copy/pasted billions of times (lol). Our languages (which seem to us, so distinct,) are at a structural level almost exactly the same. Take Japanese and English, two seemingly very different systems, but when analyzed, Chomsky said that the two are almost mirror images (front to back) of each other.

The same is the case with ethnicity. All of these so called differences are no different at the end of the day then the percieved differences between Yankee and Red Sox fans, or ManU and Liverpool zealots.... or India and Pakistan cricket fanatics... at the end of the day: idiots, the lot of 'em. (lol)

Chomsky the cunning linguist !

YouTube - ali g interviews noam chomsky

Oh ok maybe it has Code.

I agree that environment is the biggest factor for behavior of a person. But isn't it certain groups of people that created the stability of an environment in the first place, maybe through racial disposition? Also is it at all possible given a certain amount of time differing racial groups that have been allowed into this environment, absorb it, but could eventually destroy it? This a truly hypothetical question. I would lean towards no personally.

lol, Native Americans had highly evolved culture as did Aboriginal peoples in Australia...

I would agree that races do affect and are effected by the environment. But, personally I don't think that those differences would be such that if you take the Japanese nation and give them the history of Americans, and vice versa: the results would be any different.... well, maybe... I don't know.

Its almost a question of philosophy, reminds me of Aristotle and the whole idea of "forms"... Is the environment the same without its parts? Or the parts (race) gives that "form" to the environment? I think Aristotle's view on this have been rejected and refuted philosophically. But who knows?

Think about it... if you exchange the brains of two people, does that mean that the personality of the people will travel with the brain? ... or am I going totally off-topic here???? Seems like the same deal to me...

p.s. lol @ Ali G

lol, Native Americans had highly evolved culture as did Aboriginal peoples in Australia...

Is that sarcasm? You mean like western philosophy, science, mathematics, literature, poetry? Diversity created all this! Aboriginals are one of the purest races in the world.

Some south American tribes not quite sure where from discovered by helicopter pointing their spears and chasing it and if anyone from our society come into contact with them they could catch something nasty, their immunity cant deal with..

maybe they at last heard by pigeon post that yes millions of innocent people have been decimated by incoming settlers, invaders, missionaries and mercenaries - such is the history of the world. And now the giant pharmaceutical industries are 'guinea pigging' the 'third world' with drugs banned or at best inconclusively safe. The question is what can we do about it?
Regarding ethnicity and health, there are plenty evidential support for differences in chemical make up, DNA etc. There probably is stuff out there showing what the major diseases each ethnicity has, but again more environment or at least equally nature/nurture. Maybe there are very few 'pure' ethnicities nowadays?
I find nationalism a strange fruit but can understand the mechanics and raison d'etre, past history and all that, but it no doubt leads to extreme intolerance and facism , so passe surely. Yet we are all at different levels/points in spacetime so one cannot expect utopia at this moment in time except in our own heads.

That’s good to know because I would seriously start to get concerned if we were breaking up into separate species lol If that ever happened then I would deffo start to consider turning permanently vegetarian just on the thought that humans can't really clearly differentiate themselves from other animals anymore. I still go though guilt from eating meat by the way.

maybe they at last heard by pigeon post that yes millions of innocent people have been decimated by incoming settlers, invaders, missionaries and mercenaries - such is the history of the world. And now the giant pharmaceutical industries are 'guinea pigging' the 'third world' with drugs banned or at best inconclusively safe. The question is what can we do about it?
Regarding ethnicity and health, there are plenty evidential support for differences in chemical make up, DNA etc. There probably is stuff out there showing what the major diseases each ethnicity has, but again more environment or at least equally nature/nurture. Maybe there are very few 'pure' ethnicities nowadays?
I find nationalism a strange fruit but can understand the mechanics and raison d'etre, past history and all that, but it no doubt leads to extreme intolerance and facism , so passe surely. Yet we are all at different levels/points in spacetime so one cannot expect utopia at this moment in time except in our own heads.

I always thought it to be time that brings everything and everyone to the same level no matter where you go or do, especially for mankind.

sorry im lost with that?

its a film where the main character is still living in the past and so her actions her thoughts are not in the now, a rather normal human thing to do [ie you are determined by your memories, your hardwired neural pathways].

its a film where the main character is still living in the past and so her actions her thoughts are not in the now, a rather normal human thing to do [ie you are determined by your memories, your hardwired neural pathways].

Interesting!

Although them documentaries have had some criticism according to wiki. Maybe I should watch one.

Back