Medals of honor too christian?

well if it's in the Daily Mail it must be true. :)

s.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging other religions. If it were only given to Christians that would be another story.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging other religions. If it were only given to Christians that would be another story.
Reminds me of "Robin Hood" with Costner and Morgan Freeman. "I am not one of you, but I fight for you, I fight for Robin..."

Do you really think the Moor objected when King Richard blessed him for his services to his people and his country?

Or, the 13th Warrior, for that matter...when the Norsemen treated him as one of their own?

"I can not partake of drink from fermented grain or fruit"...

"lol, It's honey you ass, it's made of honey..."

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to excuse me, but I don't understand your point.

But I will ask, how does it diminish the honor by making this change?

You'll have to excuse me, but I don't understand your point.

But I will ask, how does it diminish the honor by making this change?
Where did the concept of the medal originate? By what set of standards? Who conceived of it? What does it mean, and to whom?

If an American or British soldier for example, is awarded the order of Kuwait, by the Kuwaiti government, and it is based on Islamic principles of honor and valor...who is going to argue that it is unacceptable, because it is not in the vector of their own faith?

That is an arrogant concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
If an American or British soldier for example, is awarded the order of Kuwait, by the Kuwaity government, and it is based on Islamic principles of honor and valor...who is going to argue that it is unacceptable, because it is not in the vector of their own faith?

That is an arrogant concept.

If the Kuwaiti government made a habit of giving the honor to people outside the Islamic Faith and decided that in order to be more inclusive of those it was honoring they would remove, "Allah is Great", I see that as anything but arrogant.

I see that as expansive, considerate and high-minded.

It's interesting how people can look at something and see it so differently.

Picture 057.jpg
:confused:

Nice medal.

But what is the point?
To be a stranger in a strange land, and to be singled out and presented with a medal, as a way of saying "thank you for your service to our people, and our nation", regardless of what their political/religious/philosophical views might be, is an "honor", and humbling...that is my point.

v/r

Q

To be a stranger in a strange land, and to be singled out and presented with a medal, as a way of saying "thank you for your service to our people, and our nation", regardless of what their political/religious/philosophical views might be, is an "honor", and humbling...that is my point.

To be open to expanding one's perspective and honor diverse views, to be inclusive and respectful regardless of one's political/religious/philosophical differences is magnanimous, courageous and humbling as well... that is my point.

It's so nice to see that we agree.

To be open to expanding one's perspective and honor diverse views, to be inclusive and respectful regardless of one's political/religious/philosophical differences is magnanimous, courageous and humbling as well... that is my point.

It's so nice to see that we agree.
Like you said, two different perspectives...we'll never agree.

v/r

Q

Like this one, what?

Unfortunately I'm unable to decipher your fuzzy photo... or you intended message.

I am sorry, cz that you cannot see the picture or understand my point.
perhaps i didnt load it correctly, however it comes up ok on my computer. My point.. medals are not given out indiscriminately, they are of a very proud and yet humbling nature, not only for the recipient but also their family, and from the country they served in. It is indeed an honour.
Love the grey

My point.. medals are not given out indiscriminately, they are of a very proud and yet humbling nature, not only for the recipient but also their family, and from the country they served in. It is indeed an honour.

As the article stated in the OP, the medal is still going to be given out, it's just been redesigned to be more inclusive of the diverse cultures that may receive it.

My original question (and one that I'll ask you) is how does this redesign diminish this honor or the service for which it's being awarded?

I am not a UK citizen and from the article, I read that it has been awarded to 62 distinguished residents of the former colony of Trinidad and Tobago for over more than 40 years, including cricketers Brian Lara and Garfield Sobers, novelist V.S. Naipaul and many diplomats and politicians.

Does the Trinity Cross stand for Christianity in that the UK is a Christian Nation ruled by Christian laws just as Kuwait is ruled by Islamic Law?

According to the article:
Groups representing the Caribbean islands' Muslim and Hindu communities - which account for around a third of their 1.3million-strong population - had argued that the words 'Trinity' and 'Cross' were 'overtly Christian'. They also said the use of a cross insignia was offensive.

Five British law lords, all members of the Privy Council, have ruled that the honour breached the right to equality and the right to freedom of conscience and belief.

The Council is an obscure body made up of senior politicians, bishops and peers.

They advise the monarch on the exercise of the Royal Prerogative and act as a final court of appeal for many former colonies.

It will be replaced with the Order of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago - a circular medal featuring a sun, stars, water and a map of the islands.

Also from other comments: the Order of the Trinity was established by Queen Elizabeth and she did so as Queen of Trinidad & Tobago, and not as Queen of the United Kingdom. There has been no monarch of T&T since 1976, when it was declared to be a Republic. This decoration had nothing to do with England at any time, it was a purely T&T decoration, and only awarded to citizens of T&T. The name of the order obviously comes from the name of the principal island, "Trinidad," which was named by Columbus. Whether or not you think that T&T should be a Christian country, the change in the name and insignia of the Order has nothing to do with the United Kingdom, and does not reflect at all on the United Kingdom.

So I guess, I don't understand why this decision is a problem?

Back