T

Tao_Equus

Thought this a great pic....

Its the space shuttle and sun.

Attachments

• shuttle.jpg
    shuttle.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 425
Nice picture. It looks like a fly on the lens if I didn't know what it was.

Has anyone seen any news on how it went with the Hubble repair?

Haven't seen, but I did hear and read that after a couple of glitches with the gyroscopes, they are coming along nicely. The first two spacewalks apparently went a couple hours overtime, and they are back at it this morning fixing a camera.

That picture was in the paper yesterday, gonna have to cut that one out and keep it.

Herschel shows its going to be every bit as spectacular as Hubble.

Attachments

• herschel 1.jpg
    herschel 1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 372
I cant help but feeling when I look at these amazing spiral galaxies that they are showing something that though we stare right at them we are missing. When I look I feel like they are alive in some way.

The galaxy, called NGC 1097, is located 50 million light-years away. It is spiral-shaped like our Milky Way, with long, spindly arms of stars. The "eye" at the center of the galaxy is actually a monstrous black hole surrounded by a ring of stars. In this color-coded infrared view from Spitzer, the area around the invisible black hole is blue and the ring of stars, white.

The black hole is huge, about 100 million times the mass of our sun, and is feeding off gas and dust along with the occasional unlucky star. Our Milky Way's central black hole is tame by comparison, with a mass of a few million suns.
Spitzer Spies Out-Of-This-World Galaxy - Space News - redOrbit

Attachments

• spitzer1.jpg
    spitzer1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 361
This is a simulation rather than a pic and of the moment a star begins to supernova... so fractal, so like what we recognise as a life form.

Attachments

• supernova_03.jpg
    supernova_03.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 339
That last picture is neat. While this image is kind of old, I always liked the one of the Hoag's object . . .

hs-2002-21-a-small_web.jpg

It is light years across in what looks to be a near perfect ring from our perspective!

Back