Happy Shavuos to those who observe it

Namaste fabs,

40 years of wandering isn't similar?

Always love the 'my religion is better than your religion' folks. Makes me aware that there exists no differentiation between the religions!

It's not meant such, I was only staking Judaism's claim to being a true religion, not THE true religion, superior to all others.
I don't see what is wrong in making this comparison with the other Abrahamic faiths.

Jesus in terms of his visions and private miracles. Mohammed in terms of his withdrawal to a cave and his revelations in dreams.

Fabs, I find your whole approach a bit odd. Why would you come into a Jewish sub-forum and lecture us about Christianity and Islam ? How much have you studied these religions ?

What I see so far is a lack of modesty and humbleness. You come to this forum first knocking Reform Judaism now you are sermonizing about the other Abrahamic religions. If you are an Orthodox Jew, which I am guessing that you are, it is unlikely that you have studied these other religions in any depth. I would think you might have a lot of questions about them, but you are not in a position to assert many facts.

On the other hand you have told us your age, and at 21 I will give you credit for at least trying to interact in an interfaith environment. At that age I did not even give it a thought. You told us that you are an Econ. and Jewish Studies major. I am sure you are very intelligent. Econ. has become a very quantitative field, so you must be quite logical.

And I guess your posts have become a little softer in tone (I think :p ?).

So with the backdrop of Netanyhu's acceptance of the two state approach, perhaps we can all try to bend a little. Happy Shavous to you :D

"Why would you come into a Jewish sub-forum and lecture us about Christianity and Islam ? How much have you studied these religions ? "

Let me tell you for a fact that I have more of an intimate understanding of these religions than you think. If you wish to think up all sorts of judgements about me, just because you don't like what I have to say, go ahead. My experience with these religions is based on study and discussions with members. I hold nothing against these religions and their adherents, quite the opposite.
As every other religion states with differentiates itself from others, the same goes for Judaism.

I'm backing up what I have to say with examples. If you or anyone disagrees, do the same. It's not lecturing, its an observation relevant to the original topic.

If this is an 'interfaith' forum, then why are you flaming up every time I mention another faith and compare to our own?

"And with the backdrop of Netanyhu's acceptance of the two state approach, perhaps we can all try to bend a little. So Happy Shavous to you :D "

As far as I can see, Shavuot has been over for the past 2 weeks. Even here in galus.. :S

Let me tell you for a fact that I have more of an intimate understanding of these religions than you think.

If you wish to think up all sorts of judgements about me, just because you don't like what I have to say, go ahead.

My experience with these religions is based on study and discussions with members. I hold nothing against these religions and their adherents, quite the opposite.

If this is an 'interfaith' forum, then why are you flaming up every time I mention another faith and compare to our own?

Fabs, just take a deep breath and relax. No one is flaming up at you :).

You might want to visit the Buddhist sub-forum, they have some nice ladles over there :D. You can fill them in on all this Abrahamic stuff. Just tell CZ and SG I sent you, they will take good care of you :)!!

fabs1 said:
an IDF one, with the girl's face behind the gun cartridges.
yes, that's just what we need in terms of images to associate with israel. "rei**** semihat ge'ulateinu", forsooth.

Then you're obviously unaware of how deeply many of us feel about supporting the refound homeland that others with to destroy.
i think you'll find that we feel pretty strongly about it as well. however, that tanned-and-muscular-kibbutznik-fighting-off-the-arab-hordes-and-dancing-the-hora-all-night stuff ultimately has more to do with leon uris than reality. there is a little bit more to the middle east than what they teach on the "birthright" programme.

pohaikawahine said:
dear fabs - speaking of your new picture, the size and boldness of the black lettering has an interesting effect on my eyes .... its leaves an imprint on my eyes and for about 30 seconds afterward I see the letters in white all over the screen ... I'm probably getting old and my eyesignt is changing, but it is an interesting phenomenah (spelling???) ...
"phenomenon" singular, "phenomena" plural. and, yes, there's a very good reason for that, meditation on the letters is a very important kabbalistic technique.

The revelation of the Torah at Mount Sinai is what sets Judaism apart from other faiths.

In many of the other religions, revelation involved people gathering around a charismatic individual who experienced dreams or visions in isolation or in sleep:
Jesus in terms of his visions and private miracles. Mohammed in terms of his withdrawal to a cave and his revelations in dreams.
At Mount Sinai, the entire Jewish people were assembled and had experienced Hashem's hand in taking them out of Egypt to bring them to this point.
There, at Mount Sinai, they experienced the divine presence and collectively accepted the Torah, passing down its laws from generation to generation.
ah, the standard "why we are right" answer no #241521 from the Big Book Of Kiruv Arguments That Haven't Been Run By The Philosophy Department. look, as much as we may believe that the jewish people experienced Divine Revelation at sinai - and i do, very much so - the fact remains that even if there were 600,000 witnesses, nonetheless the *account* of it comes directly through the chain of *tradition* and the authority of haza"l - check pirqei 'aboth ch1. what this effectively amounts to is *trust* - trust that the tradition isn't lying to us. and, in any case, this wasn't even codified until much later, by maimonides. and very few people agreed with him then and even those that did didn't really understand what he was up to.

I was only staking Judaism's claim to being a true religion, not THE true religion, superior to all others.
yes, but the trouble with this line of argument is that it leads directly to the standard "why we are right" answer no #241522 from the BBOKATHBRBTPD. next you're going to tell me that because islam and christianity affirm the truth of judaism, the only thing all three religions agree on is that judaism is a true religion and therefore "logically" it has more going for it than the others. well, that's all fine, but you'll realise that the others also have BBOKATHBRBTPDs as well, so nobody's ever going to win this one until the Big Voice shows up again. that is why i'm here to listen, to talk and to dispel ignorance, in both myself and others.

b'shalom

bananabrain

bb - thanks for the spelling lesson as well as the notes on meditating on the letters ....

fabs - I really started my own search seriously at about 21 years old .... but technology wasn't what is it now-a-days .... I used something of an intuitive method and tied 3 books together that I felt were linked in some deep way .... I waited 2 years and untied the books and to my great disappointment "nothing came to me" .... it took another 20 years for the first "aha" and then another 20 years for things to begin to look like they were falling in place .... and yes, the first 3 books were an important connection .... I wish I had known the OT at that time, but maybe I wasn't ready anyway .... I am amazed when I read postings on this forum because the knowledge is way beyond where I was at these ages and I am impressed (I absolutely love reading dialogues between bb and dauer) .... knowledge came to me slowly but nothing began to link until I was able to put away a lot of frustration, anger and emotion and maybe what I needed was wisdom which came with age .... I started out with "how can there be a g..d who created this world filled with pain and hate between people" there had to be something more to g..d but I could only see what existed in our world .... and the eternal question of "who are we and why do we exist" .... I wish you peace and harmony on this walk of yours .... just sharing some thoughts as I reflected on being 21 .... me ka aloha pumehana, poh

fabs1, I'm curious - are you Jewish, and if so, what sort of Jew would you categorise yourself as?

Or are you a Christian with a specific interest in Judaism?

Or neither?

Back