Are Christians really monotheistic? Really?

What I meant is that because some Christians believe that the devil is in charge of all evil, and that God is in charge of all that is good, and these two things are exclusive, that they do not believe that only one being is in charge over all.
Not really, the two are not exclusive at all. Christianity holds that the devil was an angel, and an angel is a created nature ... God is uncreated ... so I agree that the devil is 'in charge' of evil, but I would suggest it's your assumption that puts him on a par with God.

Nor does an angel reduce God's power — a created nature cannot limit a higher nature. Christ could have called twelve legions of angels to protect him (Matthew 12:53) but chose not to ... doesn't mean He's reduced in power ... God could eliminate evil but chooses not to.

Putting the devil in charge of all evil then elevates him to that level as well, a partially powerful god-like being in charge of certain aspects of the creation.
I think this is your opinion, but it's not based on any Christian doctrine I know. It may well be the error in the mind of others, in which case they're wrong as well.

That's why I say that neither free will or predestination are completely right in my opinion. We have both at the same time.
Yes. And they're both right. We are free. Our place in creation is ordered. The choice is ours to take that place or not ... but our place in creation is not ours for the making.

Thomas

Namaste pattimax,

thank you for the post.

Henotheism means that a religion worships only one deity...only one deity is worthy of worship yet acknowledges the existence of other deities.

Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that [were] on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Joshua was referring to idols. These are made by God
A deity is any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force. So yes, the acknowledgement is there, but why worship something that was created?

indeed, that is the idea... only one being is worthy of worship.

metta,

~v

Not really, the two are not exclusive at all. Christianity holds that the devil was an angel, and an angel is a created nature ... God is uncreated ... so I agree that the devil is 'in charge' of evil, but I would suggest it's your assumption that puts him on a par with God.

I agree that good and evil are not exclusive. I was merely trying to present the viewpoint of the Christians that I was talking about. And I do not believe that the devil is even close to being on par with God. Like I said, I was trying to present the people's viewpoint that I had based my origional opinion on. That's it. :D

Nor does an angel reduce God's power — a created nature cannot limit a higher nature. Christ could have called twelve legions of angels to protect him (Matthew 12:53) but chose not to ... doesn't mean He's reduced in power ... God could eliminate evil but chooses not to.

I meant that saying that God is responsible for only the good, when in fact he is the creator of everything in the universe, was reducing his power. Not literally, mind you. Not that thinking that about him reduces his power in actuality, but in people's minds, if they think that, then they have reduced the amount of power that they believe he has. In my mind, he is ALL powerful, and that's how I like to view him.

God could eliminate evil, that's my point. But he hasn't. If he hasn't then it suggests that he wants it to be here for some reason. That evil has a purpose somewhere in God's plan.

Yes. And they're both right. We are free. Our place in creation is ordered. The choice is ours to take that place or not ... but our place in creation is not ours for the making.

Exactly. I'm not trying to champion predestination, or free will. After all, with an all powerful all knowing, omnipresent God, why can't there be both at once?

Thanks for posting!

See ya!

OK. Then I think I would have to say that the sources from whom you derive your understanding of Christianity are not very well informed, but then they're probably not making statements to serve as theological definitions.

But yes, according to every doctrine of Christianity I am aware of, we are monotheists.

Thomas

I know that according to doctrine, Christians are monotheistic. My argument wasn't based on doctrine though, it was based on the viewpoint of Christians that believe things that are outside the Christian doctrine, but in their circles, still considered part of Christianity.

It kinda feels like we're winding down now. It really was great debating and conversing with you. Maybe we can do this again sometime... :D

See ya!

Back