Holloway Prison

Postmaster

Reaction score
I was talking to a close friend of mine and told me they are going to visit a client at Holloway prison and wasn't estatic. I kind of heard of Holloway but wasn't too sure about it. Anyway I did a Wiki search and looked into it. I read the stories of the 5 females that were executed there and buried in the walls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holloway_(HM_Prison)

I was asking myself what makes people to turn to commit evil crime?

lol At least it isn't Broadmoor they have to go to ;)

You were asking yourself what makes a person commit an evil crime? Did you aslo ask yourself what is evil? And what is a crime?

I guess a few thoughts to ponder....

tainted goods... Someone does one thing.... They then taint the person, they seek vengance.... retribution, to get even, because they've been paid to, because they are "ill", spur of the moment rage, brainwashed, fascination with these sorts of things, pressured to it, last resort, accident, a visit from the f**k you up fairy.... There are many reasons....

lol At least it isn't Broadmoor they have to go to ;)

You were asking yourself what makes a person commit an evil crime? Did you aslo ask yourself what is evil? And what is a crime?

I guess a few thoughts to ponder....

tainted goods... Someone does one thing.... They then taint the person, they seek vengance.... retribution, to get even, because they've been paid to, because they are "ill", spur of the moment rage, brainwashed, fascination with these sorts of things, pressured to it, last resort, accident, a visit from the f**k you up fairy.... There are many reasons....

I think you covered all of them.

As for them questions you ask, I guess first and foremost crime is something which is considered evil and opposite to morals and ethics. For those that have a bad sense of this they are things that also usually oppose the law and punishable by it.

It takes someone more effort to act in an immoral way as it opposes social conditioning of all cultures and maybe to some limited extent biological hardwire.

It takes someone more effort to act in an immoral way as it opposes social conditioning of all cultures and maybe to some limited extent biological hardwire.
Does it?

Never stole something as a kid? Never took money off your parent's dresser?

Never abused the time clock on the job, or took home some office supplies or school supplies that weren't yours?

Never lied to get yourself out of trouble, or make yourself look better in the eyes of others?

All choices we make...some of these choices may lead in baby steps, incrimentally to as 17 alludes, traveling with a different group of people where since you've already blurred the line...you cross the line..and then forget the line altogether.

Sometimes we continue down that path...other times we choose another.

There but by the grace of G!d go I...

I surely can't seperate myself from the criminal, imo it is quite a bit harder to turn back.

wil said:
Does it?

Never stole something as a kid? Never took money off your parent's dresser?

Yes for the first no to the last

wil said:
Never abused the time clock on the job, or took home some office supplies or school supplies that weren't yours?

Not after a certain age

wil said:
Never lied to get yourself out of trouble, or make yourself look better in the eyes of others?

Yes

wil said:
All choices we make...some of these choices may lead in baby steps, incrimentally to as 17 alludes, traveling with a different group of people where since you've already blurred the line...you cross the line..and then forget the line altogether.

Sometimes we continue down that path...other times we choose another.

There but by the grace of G!d go I...

I surely can't seperate myself from the criminal, imo it is quite a bit harder to turn back.

Interesting point

At the same time, Wil, anthropologists have noticed that there are social rules/norms, and rules/norms for when to break the rules/norms.

This multiple classifcation of unlawful or "unethical" behavior is why most people in the States have done a "California stop" (rolled through a stop sign) and regularly speed, but do not rob banks or kill people.

There are different levels of criminality- some caused by poorly designed laws, some caused by desperate poverty, some caused by poor control of one's emotions, some by malicious planning. The way people think as they go against social norms/laws varies and impacts what crimes they commit and why. It isn't just a "slippery slope" that people go down without reason or without differences between the serial murderer and the guy who takes a pencil home from the job and makes a few extra copies on the office copy machine. ;) Cognitively, crime is not one lump of social behavior. It's filled with nuances of decision-making, mental stability or instability, calculated risk vs. "crimes of passion," and all sorts of other stuff that makes it a fascinating but highly complex realm of human behavior to analyze.

Cell phones are not permitted in prison or county jail. The problem is that they are small enough to be smuggled into a jail or prison and then sold, or the use could be sold. The authorities cannot jam the phones because that would also interrupt prison communications.

Cell phones are not permitted in prison or county jail. The problem is that they are small enough to be smuggled into a jail or prison and then sold, or the use could be sold. The authorities cannot jam the phones because that would also interrupt prison communications.

Oh they smuggle a lot more into prisons than phones. As this picture from the cell of the Glasgow Heroin Baron Tam 'the horse' MacCumudgeon shows you...

Attachments

• mission control.jpg
    mission control.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 560
Back