Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and practices

immortalitylost

Say Meow.
Reaction score
What are your views on demon possession as Christians? And I'm not just talking about "Exorcist" style possession either. I would like to see the full gamot of views from Christian viewpoints, if you may. :)

Also...

There is a lady that I know who says that practicing martial arts and yoga, as well as meditating, can open you up to demon possession. Also, symbols from other religions represent demons.

I don't even know what to say to this.... :rolleyes:

Any thoughts? :confused:

Re: Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and pract

What are your views on demon possession as Christians? And I'm not just talking about "Exorcist" style possession either. I would like to see the full gamot of views from Christian viewpoints, if you may. :)

Also...

There is a lady that I know who says that practicing martial arts and yoga, as well as meditating, can open you up to demon possession. Also, symbols from other religions represent demons.

I have a suspicion that these are loaded questions based upon the "roll eyes sarcasm smiley) I dont think you really want to know what we believe you just want a laugh maybe? or a reason to scoff. Sorry Im not touching this with a ten-foot pole. Good luck.

Re: Demon possession and demons represented by symbols from other religions and pract

It was a bit of a... i don't know, it's hard to take what that lady says seriously, and the roll eyes smiley only applied to the second part, because it sounds really weird, and I've never heard anything like it anywhere else.

But I am truly curious about the first part, and if you can show me something in scripture that backs up the second part, about martial arts and whatnot, i would be really truly interested in the information.

I'm not here for a laugh, or to scoff. If I ask a question, it's because I'm truly curious, that's all.

So if you want to give it a go now, feel free. :D

Don't judge me by my smileys. :) Sometimes they lie. :eek:

Im going to direct you to an apologetics website which have biblically correct answers to questions such as these. Im pretty sure Im in agreement with this lady you are speaking of and these articles have the necessary scriptures to support the statements. The reason Im listing them like this is because its a lot of information and I dont like to copy and paste unless completely necessary. For future reference this website can and will answer alot of questions those those who want to know what the typical bible-believing Christian believes.

What is the Christian view of yoga?

Is it right for a Christian to be involved in martial arts?

What does the Bible say about demons?

Search GotQuestions.org
this last one has several articles you can browse on demon possession and demons being attached to inanimate objects.

Is it right for a Christian to be involved in martial arts?

Excerpted from the linked site...

The philosophies contained in Buddhism, as well as most all of the religions of the world, are developed by flawed men with defiled minds. They do not offer advice suitable for Christians to follow.

What might be one of the "flawed and defiled" philosophies Buddhist believe in? Let's start with everything being made up of perfect (Buddha) Nature. Nothing is flawed. Nothing is defiled in it's natural state. It is only our delusion, brought about by ignorance and ego that hides the perfection. Every human being is naturally perfect... even Christians who would deny the value of other faiths.

But FS, as your site says, I "do not offer advice suitable for Christians to follow." So it's best to ignore everything I've posted.

Excerpted from the linked site...
The philosophies contained in Buddhism, as well as most all of the religions of the world, are developed by flawed men with defiled minds. They do not offer advice suitable for Christians to follow.
What might be one of the "flawed and defiled" philosophies Buddhist believe in? Let's start with everything being made up of perfect (Buddha) Nature. Nothing is flawed. Nothing is defiled in it's natural state. It is only our delusion, brought about by ignorance and ego that hides the perfection. Every human being is naturally perfect... even Christians who would deny the value of other faiths.

But FS, as your site says, I "do not offer advice suitable for Christians to follow." So it's best to ignore everything I've posted.

Christians (bible-believing) believe everything is corrupt since the fall of man. Nothing is perfect in its natural state nature.. man... nothing. We believe that we are made perfect through the blood of Jesus Christ.. that He shares is goodness with us. Everything and anything seperate from God is defiled or wicked. the bible tells us that you can only serve one master.. you serve God or you serve the world.

I know that its difficult to understand but Christianity is pretty dang intolerant of any other god/s and any other message other than salvation being only through Jesus Christ and His sacrifice on the cross.

Now that I have said that. I want to make it perfectly clear that I am speaking as a Christian that believes the bible is the inerrant and inspired Word of God. I am not speaking for any other type of Christian.

CZ, You do not have to take it personal.. you are not alone. The world is full of defiled and flawed men with lousy advise.. I happen to be one of them(well woman) :) Thats why I follow the bible when in question.. because its the safest course of action in this day and age.

On behalf of the full gamut of Christians.

I've not yet encountered any demonic possessions so I can't say. I've met a ton of people that are perfectly happy to blame the devil or their fallen, oh I'm so unworthy nature for what in another perception is called lack of personal responsibility.

As for meditation, yoga, etc inviting demons.... this is to me is lack mentality. The same ilk doesn't want you reading any book or going to any churches other than their own, for fear you will see the light and behind their curtain...I mean for fear the devil his horns in you and lead you astray.

I was going to say something in reply but I thought better of it.

Thanks to my grandma who taught me that if you cant say something nice.. dont say anything at all.

CZ, You do not have to take it personal...

Like you say... I think I'm in good company... me and all the other defiled folk are one big happy family.

I was going to say something in reply but I thought better of it.

Thanks to my grandma who taught me that if you cant say something nice.. dont say anything at all.
Namaste FS,

I suppose I should be thanking grandma? But instead I wonder why I hear this so often, I mean why when someone is taught not to say anything at all, the insist on saying something. I mean isn't saying I was taught not to say anything at all actually saying volumes?

I actually hadn't piped up but since the OP says:
I would like to see the full gamot of views from Christian viewpoints, if you may. :)
I obliged.

Namaste FS,

I suppose I should be thanking grandma? But instead I wonder why I hear this so often, I mean why when someone is taught not to say anything at all, the insist on saying something. I mean isn't saying I was taught not to say anything at all actually saying volumes?

I actually hadn't piped up but since the OP says:I obliged.

this is a conversation via text.. Its because I want you to know that I am biting my tongue.something you might try sometime. . :)

your answer was worded distinctly as an insult you can act all innocent-like because you were invited to post (or invited to insult...) but it was an insult nonetheless.. You could have answered the question easily enough without the condescension and you know it.

Seriously.

Namaste FS,

Now I said,
I've not yet encountered any demonic possessions so I can't say.
But now if you are one to blame the devil for what goes on in your life, I am generically speaking of you. No veiled insult, just my belief. And as I've said numerous times, when it comes to some date in the future where I learn otherwise we all have the right to change our minds on these things. But my past indiscretions and mistakes and injuries I've caused myself and others are mine, I don't blame no devil for being inside of me or in control. As I've said, imo of all the things I miss of my former life prior to being a serious Christian...I miss blame the most.

And if your church is one that tells you to stay away from this or that or the other thing, and don't listen or read this or that or the other thing.... you do what you wish, but I'd be running away and definitely doing this that and the other thing.

Not condensending, no veiled insults, just the difference between my beliefs and yours. Face it, no way either of us will drink the koolaid at the others church.

ok, wil :) BTW grape is my favorite flavor.

FS, thank you for the links, I haven't gotten through all of it yet, but interesting so far.

This really wasn't about condemning others beliefs or getting a cheap laugh out of what people said here. Thank you for trusting me, and coming back and replying.

This also for me wasn't because I was lost and looking for answers. This was about learning what other people think. And I thank you all for information without the "hook," so to speak. :) It is much appreciated.

Citizenzen.... I love this belief in Buddhism that nothing is flawed, and the fact that I believe so because God created it the way he wanted it, and you attribute it to Buddha nature. Different paths, same conclusion. Coincidence? Well, I think not, but who knows?

I love coincidences. :)

And no one worry about koolaid, grape or otherwise, because it was some cheap off brand that they used. So only look out for yourself if your host is too cheap to buy grape koolaid. :D

Who's too cheap to buy koolaid? Really now...

My thoughts are demon possessions only occur in trashy teenage horror films.

Association of martial arts,yoga and meditation with this kind of nonsense is a blunt scare tactic. I believe that Thomas is a well-informed Catholic Christian. He says that "Prayer is meditation in the Christian Tradition" in Post 4 on this thread:

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/types-of-meditation-11079.html

Saying that symbols from other religions represent demons is another scare tactic I think, and also represents her ignorance (and hence fear).

s.

an apologetics website

A view of another’s religions and practices is fine but it’s not an authoritative (in any way) source. Surely if one is interested in Christianity one turns to the Bible? - not books/articles/websites on Christianity written by Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus? This must also apply if one wishes to find out about the faiths of others?

It seems to me these are clearly attempts at restricting information; to maintain an “out-group.”

Oh yes, that's what apologetics is...

s.

some martial arts by their own mythology are demonic in origin, so u should be careful otherwise u could bite off more than u can chew.

some martial arts by their own mythology are demonic in origin, so u should be careful otherwise u could bite off more than u can chew.

which ones? :confused:

s.

which ones? :confused:

s.

thats a good question, but I am not sure of the answer, personally I used to train Jujutsu and MMA which had no spiritual aspect, I would be careful of martial arts that involve internal power training as i believe these arts are dangerous and supernatural in origin and if you get involved in these then there may be consequences, but its your call I suppose.

Back