What defines Judaism to you?

dauer

Reaction score
Oh, something else I wanted to ask and perhaps it warrants a new thread:

What is it that defines Judaism for you? Is there anything that you feel should remain constant and if so, why? How do you determine what is unimportant in shaping your Judaism and what is important? What are the most central ideas of Judaism as you live it?

Re: Integral Halachah

Dauer, I will be glad to share my ideas on these foundational issues, perhaps you and BB can give yours as well ?

Oh, something else I wanted to ask and perhaps it warrants a new thread:

What is it that defines Judaism for you?

1) Covental community
2) Ethics and morality
3) Concept of G-d
4) Spirituality
5) Rites of passage
6) Ritual - I have some mixed feelings about this part.

We could probably write a paragraph about each of these.

Is there anything that you feel should remain constant and if so, why?

This is a great question. I think it is an important part of what separates Renewal from Reconstructionism and Reform. R. Zalman believes that one must keep important ideas from the past, but build on them. I think your idea relates to the question - "What makes us Jews" ? "What is inherent or fundamental about Judaism that should not change" ? I think the ethical and moral principles, ideally are constant. But interestingly we just studied a section of Baba Metzia which discussed the importance of "context" and this drove home to me the importance relativity vs. absolutes.

What are the most central ideas of Judaism as you live it?
Many Jews would say the Halacha or commandments are the most important. I grew up pretty much as an agnostic. I would have been an atheist, but I wasn't sure enough to be convinced of it. Only a few years ago I became interested in studying and learning about Judaism, the religion I was born into. So for me Halacha never played a big role. But I can appreciate the importance of mitzvot. I mean the ones that really make a difference. Social action, charity, compassion, these are important embodiments of Judaism. Not behaving like Madoff is central to Judaism.

Ever since I read Maimonides 13 Principles, I have been a big fan of some of them. I think Judaism was way ahead of the curve when they conceived non-anthropomorphism and non-corporealism. In our modern world I think this is consistent with panthesim and panentheism. I think modern religious leaders need to develop this concept more fully.

My life as a scientist and engineer focus my own person concept of G-d. I do not believe miracles and I do not believe the divine giving of Torah. I like the Reconstruction idea of rejecting "chosenness". I think this idea has been widely misunderstood in the historical context and cause a lot of problems.

How do you determine what is unimportant in shaping your Judaism and what is important?

Of course this is a deeply personal decision. I really liked R. Zalman's idea, that you put in the OP (or early post) about "deconstruction and reconstruction". I think this is the most powerful concept that I have read so far in Renewal. The idea of deconstructing Halacha back to their original concept makes sense to me. And reconstructing within a modern context makes sense to me as well. Following ritual for ritual sake does not make sense to me.

Originally posted by Dauer: " What is it that defines Judaism for you? Is there anything that you feel should remain constant and if so, why? How do you determine what is unimportant in shaping your Judaism and what is important? What are the most central ideas of Judaism as you live it?

What defines Judaism for me?
- The rebuilding of the temple, the return of the Mosiach, and the regathering
- the concept of loshon hora
- kindness
- faith that our world will change and we will become whole again
- survival

What should remain constant for me?
- human values and faith

What is important in shaping my Judaism?
- what I have learned from my own culture (Hawaii) and the ancient ways and how this fits with Judaism in my mind.

What are the most central ideas of Judaism as I live with it?
- The return of the mosiach, the rebuilding of the temple, and the regathering

He Hawai'i Au, poh

Last edited by a moderator:
Back