Esoteric Christianity

Perhaps it would be well, in specific response to Thomas, to also eschew the erroneous statement - at whose mention my soul sickens as much as yours - that any liturgy (be that Christian, Eastern, or otherwise) is the true essence, or profoundest aspect, of Christ's Love.

I certainly agree that to enter into the higher Mysteries (of Christianity or any spiritual practice) is to plumb the depths of a relationship - between Humanity and her Divine Parent - to which there is no end ... nor a beginning. No true mystic would claim to fully understand this relationship, or make pretense to explain it, save to say that it is characterized by perfect, unconditional Love.

I would even go so far as to say, imho, that the keys to the Kingdom are held at all times in front of the earnest seeker - in plain sight. But not anyone is fit or spiritually ready to grasp the entire keyring, nor would this be prudent. To press the analogy further, at any given moment that we ask, there are perhaps several possible keys that will open the door in front of us. But let us correct a mistaken notion ...

Surely the Kingdom of God is not a darkened realm, each of whose portions or "layers" is simply a little less dark. Yes, it's been awhile since I read of Teresa's Castle, so forgive me if I take liberties ... but the Kingdom of Heaven has always seemed to me to be a place of splendid Light Supernal!

As we enter more & more deeply into this realm - going both within ourselves and transcending our earthly limitations (two actions that are complementary and not at all exclusive of each other) - we come into a greater measure of Light with each door we open. Or as St. Paul put it, we draw closer to "the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13).

And the best part of all ... is that the KEYS to G-d's Kingdom are indeed
presented to all persons, and all that is required is that we earnestly seek, in order to find them (Matthew 7:7-9). But too many seekers stop there, content with the realization that the Kingdom of Heaven does exist, and (understandably) overjoyed with the deeper participation G-d's Love and Bliss. To continue building the relationship mentioned by St. Paul above, in Ephesians, we must apply discipline (as did the disciples) ...

... and speaking from experience rather than speculation - I would like to state unequivocally that there is certainly an esoteric aspect ( or dimension) to Christianity, just as is the case with every religion. It is simply our understanding of such that is imperfect, especially if we begin with any kind of notion that Deity is willfully concealing things from us - which is but an expression of our mistrust or paranoid thinking ... the conspiracy bug, if you will.

Nothing could be further from the truth - and yet, in the greater scheme of things, we are meek - and is it any wonder that we are not fully prepared to behold the Divine face to face? Christ did say, Blessed are the pure of heart ... for they shall see G-d. If, as sometimes happens, there are those who rush forward to proclaim their purity - then perhaps it could only be said to devotees of such fervor: Become more pure.

The idea that there is a spiritual elite is perhaps an offensive (and intuitively erroneous) notion to us ... precisely because of semantics. Better stated, there is an avante-garde - but They are egoless. And I suggest that while not every Tom, Dick & Harry may "belong" to this avante-garde, nevertheless, it is composed of much more than simply Christ and a couple of archangels. As many mystics have witnessed, there are many, many members of this Heavenly Host (sic) ... and the Christ is but the Head (and the Heart, as it were) of a spiritual body that bridges between Humanity and the Divine.

Let us not be hasty to dismiss the Finger of G-d, nor his Eye, nor the Word of Power ... as these seek to inspire & guide us. For as it seems, in this Heavenly Mansion, though we cannot truly isolate ourselves from Deity, nevertheless in the closing of but one door we can make it exceeding difficult to be ministered to ... or for others to thus receive, through us. And yet, so many are content to huddle in a corner, with vain repetitions, eyes closed - and blind to the Glory that is all around.

And these will sometimes speak loudest that there is nothing hidden, despite the Master Poet's words: There are more things in Heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio. ;) Perhaps it is well to state, that in one lifetime ... certainly there is not time to discover and master all that we encounter, on earth. And that is why we have --.
protokletos

Hello taijasi -

Perhaps it would be well to also eschew the erroneous statement that any liturgy is the true essence, or profoundest aspect, of Christ's Love.

Well, we need tread carefully here.

The locus of Christian life is the church;
the locus of the Church is the Liturgy, and;
the locus of the Liturgy is the Eucharist.

The actuality of the Eucharist is itself indeed 'the true essence' and 'profoundest aspect' of Christ's love, precisely because it is Himself present therein - this then is the 'free gift of self' manifest in the Sacrifice of the Mass - so I find it hard to conceive of any act of love by Christ that surpasses the Sacrifice of the Cross.

The Eucharist is founded not simply upon the Paschal meal, but also upon Christ's extended meditation thereon, chapters 13-17 of John, of which I shall quote just a part:

"I pray ... that they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us ... And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me..." (17:21-23)

As long as one remains 'without', then 'we are NOT all one' and this is a profound point. Christ did not come to save one, nor save an avant garde, He came to save all, and all will be saved when all are one - any notion of a discreet few is only valid when they serve the many.

There is another scandalous point here - no individual act, no individual experience, no individual event, not Paul's elevation to the 'third heaven', nor Eckhart's 'ground of being' is the equal of the Eucharist because nothing man can say or do can merit such reward.

The great saint and mystic, theologian and philosopher, Thomas Aqinas, the Doctor Angelicus, was known to spend hours on his kness in Eucharistic adoration, and one day heard a voice speaking from the cross, "what would you have of me?" to which he replied, "you Lord, only You."

Everything flows from the Eucharist

Thomas

Although I may commit a sin of sorts to point this out, I would like to quote from the Syrian Master regarding the Eucharist:
"Of rites and ceremonies have I spoken, and their usefulness to those who stand in need thereof. And yet not all rites performed in my name originated with me; from older religions have some of them been taken.

Hark to the words which [priests do] enunciate, believing them to have first been spoken by me to my disciples at the last supper we partook together. Nevertheless they were derived from a more ancient Creed, as delvers into the Past have since discovered.

Verily no more have these words aught to do with my body and blood than with the body and blood of him who repeateth them. Only a symbolic significance have those words; but, knowing it not, have learned unbelievers made them one more pretext to call my religion a fraud and a fabrication.

But this I would ask; what proof have they that I did not teach my disciples the ancient rite, so that it might be enacted in memory of me?

Ah, a mystery hath that rite been even to my followers, yea so deep a mystery that they must needs invent the doctrine of Substantiation in their endeavor to explain it, thereby persuading themselves that one mystery could be solved by an even greater one.

A mystery forsooth it may be, but not to the clear-visioned and to the initiated. For verily the rite if correctly performed doth invoke a great Deva (an Angel, in Christian terminology) whose Radiance, streaming forth on to all participants, uplifteth their hearts and purifieth their emotions, according to their capacity and willingness to receive.

But the day of understanding is not yet; for only when Man hath acquired the faculty to see those subtler things which as yet are hidden, will the truth anent this invocative ceremony be proven and known."

This rather lengthy quote is from Part I of The Vision of the Nazarene, available very affordably to the earnest seeker ... from Amazon.com. Emphasis, btw, is my own.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone seeking the plain words of the Nazarene (Jesus) as faithfully committed to paper by one of his disciples less than a century ago. I believe there will be found many a revelation in what the author has to share. I would quote again, from the section preceding the above, as there is relevance ... again, forgive the length:
"For know that those who are gathered together in harmony, peace and love, and who call to me in the spirit of Service, they verily are gathered together in my Name, and to them I come, because like attracts like.

But those who are gathered together to perform ceremonies with errant minds and hearts yearning for worldly things, to them I do not come, for their wandering thoughts do not reach me at all.

And yet, think not that I am averse to all ceremonies even though I raised my voice against vain repetitions; for know that ritual and ceremonies are as the crutches to the lame of spirit, to be discarded when man has become whole in spirit.

Lo, nowadays many do scoff at these crutches of the halt and feeble. And their scoffing is born of intolerance; yet in ritual devoutly performed there is my Power and my Love.

And in some repetitions also there is my Power, but in others there is only foolishness and even harmfulness; for man, by reason of his materialism, has lost the Golden Key to the right use of my Ritual and my Words of Power.

And now would I say; he who prays with true sincerity for the happiness of others shall obtain happiness himself, and he who prays for the enlightenment of others shall obtain enlightenment himself; for so doth he open the door to that Pure Consciousness which is Unity and Joy."
If I might be so presumptuous as to comment, imho it would seem that the Master has made a statement in his final sentence which is both the code and the Law for the Mystic, as well as the key & the watchword for the Occultist (or Esotericist). I should think one need be neither (occultist nor mystic) to follow in Christ's footsteps, yet to draw close is to begin to have what are called mystical experiences ... and to transcend these is truly to become an esotericist - if one can but keep one's feet on the Path.

This is more than I have managed for some while, Thomas. And further, I'm afraid I can be a bit intolerant at times (hence my choice to emphasize that part) ... so that even as I choose to disagree with your statements regarding the Eucharist, I do not mean to suggest that there is no signficance to that Sacrament. Just the opposite - as the quotations support - though I cannot claim to begin to fathom the Mystery.

What I do feel moved to attest, if I may be so bold, is that in my own experience - attending the Lutheran Church (LCA, not Missouri Synod) until the age of 13 or so, and in my Xmas attendances with the family - I feel quite confident that I have been so fortunate as to bear some witness to the very Deva to which the Nazarene refers. Such a presence, after all, just as the Christ whom is thereby served (Teacher alike of Angels and of Men) ... is quite literally in more than one "place" at the same "time," again, despite our utter ignorance as to how this actually occurs in the inner, spiritual worlds.

I do not claim to fully understand the Mystery - but I do attest to the existence of such Devas, and to the spiritual avante-garde which Mystics sometimes call Christ and His Church. And yes, such of Humanity (or the Angelic Kingdom) as have attained to this measure of the fulness of the stature of Christ before us, continue to serve with Christ ... and this is why I think they merit the phrase "Christ's elite," or the avante-garde - or whatever is least offensive. Certainly this has nothing to do with the so-called "Christian Right" in America (esp. the deep south, or states like my own North Carolina) ... which, as the bumper-sticker states, is neither.

On a deeply personal note, I can say that "Communion" as the Lutherans call it, always did have a special significance to me - but this has entirely to do with the character and the actions of the Pastor who performed it during my early years of church attendance ... and the greater signficance centered around his actions with the young people of the (small) church following the church service, as he would distribute the remainder of the bread outside. He may as well have been St. Francis feeding the birds - for in this way he nourished the souls of the children ... and never a kinder man have I met in 33 years. This has everything to do with the (Christlike) Spirit of the Nazarene, and his words as quoted above ...

Peace ...
protokletos

This reminds me of two quotes from C.S. Lewis:
Great thread!

Considering the above comment, and the discussion thus far, I am reminded of Lewis' "A Footnote to All Prayers," in which he says that "all prayers blaspheme," meaning that to some degree every one of us has faulty conceptions of God, and at best all we come up with are "limping metaphors."

His words ring true to me. The more I study and learn, the more conscious I become of just how little I know. Truly we see things "through a glass, darkly" in this world.

Rev Wayne said:
Great thread!

Considering the above comment, and the discussion thus far, I am reminded of Lewis' "A Footnote to All Prayers," in which he says that "all prayers blaspheme," meaning that to some degree every one of us has faulty conceptions of God, and at best all we come up with are "limping metaphors."

His words ring true to me. The more I study and learn, the more conscious I become of just how little I know. Truly we see things "through a glass, darkly" in this world.

Welcome to CR Reverend. ;)

Blaspheme:

1 : to speak of or address with irreverence
2 : [SIZE=-1]REVILE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]ABUSE[/SIZE]
intransitive verb : to utter blasphemy

The problem with that statement is that in order to "not" blaspheme God, we would have to stop praying to Him...in otherwords, to sin not, speak not.

On the other hand, did not Jesus specifically state that what so ever we do to the least of our brethren we do unto Him? This would imply that in order not to "blaspheme" God we would have to stop speaking with eathother, dealing with eachother, or helping eachother. And did He also not state that if we cause little children to stumble before the Lord, there would be "hell to pay"? (para)

Lewis, presents us with (it appears) a catch 22. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. I'm afraid I can not agree with Lewis' concept of reviling God by being ignorant of His true nature. There is no sin, in not knowing. Rather, the sin is in knowing what we do know, and not acting on it...

my thoughts, and once again welcome to CR ;)

v/r

Q

Thanks, great to be here. I travel around and search for posting places that provide stimulation, I'm surprised I hadn't discovered this one before. My compliments, to whomever they should go, on what appears to be a well-regulated and interesting site.

To respond, I'm wondering just how much weight should be given to Lewis' use of "blaspheme" in this particular instance. The work cited is actually a poem, and probably has to be seen in its entirety to be fully appreciated--or fully understood, or even adequately contextualised, for that matter. It's a very short poem and for that reason citing very much of it at all would probably violate fair use, so I will post the link. I fully understand your comments, and perhaps if I read the remarks divorced from the context as I presented them, doubtless I would have had somewhat to say also. The link is:

christdot.org/ modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5560

Apparently I have not posted enough and can't include links. Just remove the space from the above link and add h-t-t-p-:-/-/ in front of it

Rev Wayne said:
Thanks, great to be here. I travel around and search for posting places that provide stimulation, I'm surprised I hadn't discovered this one before. My compliments, to whomever they should go, on what appears to be a well-regulated and interesting site.

To respond, I'm wondering just how much weight should be given to Lewis' use of "blaspheme" in this particular instance. The work cited is actually a poem, and probably has to be seen in its entirety to be fully appreciated--or fully understood, or even adequately contextualised, for that matter. It's a very short poem and for that reason citing very much of it at all would probably violate fair use, so I will post the link. I fully understand your comments, and perhaps if I read the remarks divorced from the context as I presented them, doubtless I would have had somewhat to say also. The link is:

christdot.org/ modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5560

Apparently I have not posted enough and can't include links. Just remove the space from the above link and add h-t-t-p-:-/-/ in front of it

LOL, ten post minimum, four more to go...:D but please, consider your own thoughts as paramount to the exchanges made here. It is nice to reference past thoughts, but those of the present parties are much preferred.

Compliments/complaints or comments pertaining to this forum go to "I, Brian" who can be contacted Here . He is the owner/administrator of CR.

Once again Reverend, welcome to CR.

As for my opinion, Lewis is expressing a lament. Man is stupid and arrogant in expecting God to jump when he says so, prayer can be blasphemous, if used in the wrong context, or for the wrong purposes. I suppose that is what Lewis (and you) were pointing out...

my thoughts

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Welcome to CR Reverend. ;)

Blaspheme:

1 : to speak of or address with irreverence
2 : [SIZE=-1]REVILE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]ABUSE[/SIZE]
intransitive verb : to utter blasphemy

The problem with that statement is that in order to "not" blaspheme God, we would have to stop praying to Him...in otherwords, to sin not, speak not.

On the other hand, did not Jesus specifically state that what so ever we do to the least of our brethren we do unto Him? This would imply that in order not to "blaspheme" God we would have to stop speaking with eathother, dealing with eachother, or helping eachother. And did He also not state that if we cause little children to stumble before the Lord, there would be "hell to pay"? (para)

Lewis, presents us with (it appears) a catch 22. Damned if we do and damned if we don't. I'm afraid I can not agree with Lewis' concept of reviling God by being ignorant of His true nature. There is no sin, in not knowing. Rather, the sin is in knowing what we do know, and not acting on it...

my thoughts, and once again welcome to CR ;)

v/r

Q

Yet prayer is a learning experience. We will never know God unless we are willing to talk to Him. Sure, we are ignorant of who He is, but to shy away from prayer because we are afraid that we might misunderstand Him is missing the point. We come as children to God. But as we mature, we will put away childish things. The sin would be not to pray at all for sin is the absence of a relationship with God. How are we to know God if we don't relate to Him? "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." - John 17:3

Rev. Wayne,

I'm with you on the almost colloquial use, we might say, of `blaspheme.' I think you could look at it two ways, and this helps us to keep perspective. Like the artist who attempts to paint a still life, no matter how well s/he does, the painting is still a painting. There is no way it can ever approach the reality! So in that sense, to even try - is this kind of blasphemy. ;)

But of course, I can take some crayons, scratch out with a few colors on construction paper, and it will be leagues apart from what the great Masters have accomplished. By comparison, they have obviously approached the reality of the original scene (fruit in a bowl, whatever) much more closely. In that sense, they have honored the subject of their art in their effort!

In this way, then, I think our prayer honors God, and I do agree with Dondi and Quahom. The more effective it is, however, in drawing us closer to God, the more we may become aware of several things. For the Mystic, the experience may not so much be that she is praying to God, but that she is praying with God. For her, the boundaries dissolve, and the Divine Union is felt directly, as deep within her being as she is capable of going.

So it is more like the student learning to play an instrument by imitating her Master, and as long as she plays in harmony, she is on the right track. Not unless she is truly daft, or of course, exceptionally good, will she presume that her skill is as polished as the Master's. Her music, however, may still be quite beautiful in its own right - and it is this Beauty which is within each and every one of us. It just needs to be developed, and practiced, to emerge from the center, outward.

Love and Light,

taijasi

St Thomas Aquinas once posited the notion that when man blasphemes, such as when he hits his thumb with a hammer, in anger, pain, frustration, etc - that this might not be precisely a blasphemy - which would involve the will in an act of abusing or reviling God - but in fact be an 'ejaculatory prayer'...

... allied to this, of course, was Angelic Doctor's proposition that no man wills evil, but rather in the weakness of himself wills a 'lesser good' ...

... the Divine Office opens its prayer with "Oh God, make haste to help me, Oh Lord, come to my assistance... "

... then, of course, there is prayer, and there is prayer... as St Therese has explored at great length ...

... curiously I was just now reading a text on the liturgy, which is a Mystery, the ascent of the soul into God, and the descent of God into man, but the liturgy is more than 'group prayer' ... is not the notion, that man can wander in off the street of a morning, and partake of the most solemn mystery, a blasphemy?

... And yet Christ said "Do this, in memory of me" - probably a cue for a discussion of the esoteric meaning of remembrance (Gk Anamnesis, Hb Zikaron) - and furthermore taught his followers to pray "Abba" - not simply 'father' but an informal use suggesting familial intimacy ...

... just some thoughts ...

Thomas

St Thomas Aquinas once posited the notion that when man blasphemes, such as when he hits his thumb with a hammer, in anger, pain, frustration, etc - that this might not be precisely a blasphemy - which would involve the will in an act of abusing or reviling God - but in fact be an 'ejaculatory prayer'...

... allied to this, of course, was Angelic Doctor's proposition that no man wills evil, but rather in the weakness of himself wills a 'lesser good' ...

... the Divine Office opens its prayer with "Oh God, make haste to help me, Oh Lord, come to my assistance... "

... then, of course, there is prayer, and there is prayer... as St Therese has explored at great length ...

... curiously I was just now reading a text on the liturgy, which is a Mystery, the ascent of the soul into God, and the descent of God into man, but the liturgy is more than 'group prayer' ... is not the notion, that man can wander in off the street of a morning, and partake of the most solemn mystery, a blasphemy?

... And yet Christ said "Do this, in memory of me" - probably a cue for a discussion of the esoteric meaning of remembrance (Gk Anamnesis, Hb Zikaron) - and furthermore taught his followers to pray "Abba" - not simply 'father' but an informal use suggesting familial intimacy ...

... just some thoughts ...

Thomas

Esoteric Christianity is not a sect but a way of viewing things- as Mystical Christianity, Occult Christianity or Traditional Christianity might be.

Esoteric Christianity is not a sect but a way of viewing things- as Mystical Christianity, Occult Christianity or Traditional Christianity might be.
Welcome to CR, Bruce Michael! :)

Many people here are quite interested in Esoteric Christianity. I'm the taijasi of the above posts, for instance.

Could you elaborate on what Esoteric Christianity means to you?

Namaskar,

~andrew

Esoteric Christianity is neither...

It is arrogant thinking, against others. It is a look down the nose at the more "simple", in terms of faith.

I'm sorry. You are new here. Welcome to CR. You just touched a nerve. Traditional Christianity can not be linked to the esoteric an any way shape or form. Why? It puts man in the pilot's seat.

So I'll ask you a question. If God can't get us out of a pickle, what makes us think man can?

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Oh, and watch out for the wolves...unfortunately we have a few...

v/r

Joshua

What is the essential difference between Christian esoterica and Christian mysticism? It would seem that the elements of esoterica are merely the insubstantial tools of the mystic experience, at least to some degree.

Sunny C.,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "insubstantial tools?"

Thanks,

andrew

It is arrogant thinking, against others.
Something you just evidenced, Joshua! WTG!!!

Quahom1 said:
Traditional Christianity can not be linked to the esoteric an any way shape or form. Why? It puts man in the pilot's seat.
Clearly, here is a man who has never read his Bible. He has no faith in God, or in his creation (man, for one). This will become apparent in the next comment ...

Quahom1 said:
So I'll ask you a question. If God can't get us out of a pickle, what makes us think man can?
And who said we're in a pickle? (YOU did.) Who said God "can't get us out?" (YOU did.)

Yet, in the image of the Elohim were we fashioned, and thus we have Their potential. "Greater things than this, YE shall do." Something about Faith the size of a grain of mustard seed ...

But indeed, Joshua, these are difficult concepts - Faith, and Trust and such. Better leave that to the Esotericists ... :rolleyes:

Quahom1 said:
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Aherm, uh, err, here, let me SMASH open the very idea that there's anything of WORTH or value in Esoteric Christianity, but then try to CMA by saying "I'd like to hear your thoughts." Ummm, non sequitur? :p

Quahom1 said:
Oh, and watch out for the wolves...unfortunately we have a few...
Joshua likes to introduce himself in a roundabout way, but I think his True Colors are showing through quite nicely. :eek:

I mean tools that are not physical objects. Mental tools as opposed to physical ones.
There are some practitioners of an Esoteric Christianity who use a definite ritual, prayer and meditation, who gather together in a "faith community," and who make the tenets of their Faith quite clear to others. For example, Sancta Sophia - headed by Rev. Carol E. Parrish.

I would submit the Liberal Catholic Church as one example. Here is the Wikipedia article on this organization ... and two official links:

The Liberal Catholic Church, Province of the USA (The American branch of the more traditional church which emphasizes theosophical tenets)

Liberal Catholic Church International (the church in which theosophical tenets are allowed but not emphasized)

Further, here's is a quote from the Wikipedia article on `Esoteric Christianity,' including two paragraphs from core concepts:
Esoteric Christianity refers to the occult study and the mystic living of the esoteric knowledge related to what adherents view as the "inner teachings" of early Christianity, seen as a Mystery religion. The term is thought by some to be originally associated with the Essenes and, later, the Rosicrucians.

Some modern-day practitioners believe that the foundational teachings of Esoteric Christianity were publicly presented to the world in the early 20th century (1) in an effort to establish a future universal religion as humanity, with a more developed mind and will, walks forward to the understanding of a Universal Friendship. Its central aim is to aid each human being in his task of developing the Golden Wedding Garment, also defined by Paul of Tarsus "soma psuchicon" (Greek "soma" [body] and "psuchicon" [psu(y)che--soul]; the 'soul body'): the Christ Within that must be born.

In that context, the Christ Within is the vehicle needed to be formed within each individual (Galatians 4:19) in order to be able to enter and permanently live in the next Sixth Epoch's etheric environment (new heavens and a new earth): the New Galilee. This etheric region of the planet is thus regarded as the place where an individual, through the development of the soul body and not the physical body, "shall be caught up IN THE CLOUDS to meet the Lord IN THE AIR": the Second Advent of the Christ.
Perhaps a bit too "heady" for Joshua, but our other resident Catholic will look at it all - not even blink (because intellectually he grasps it all) - then tear it to shreds.

And no, Esoteric Christianity isn't for everyone. But it does appeal to some ... :)

From Merriam Webster:

1 a : designed for or understood by the specially initiated alone *a body of esoteric legal doctrine — B. N. Cardozo* b : requiring or exhibiting knowledge that is restricted to a small group *esoteric terminology* *esoteric strategies*; broadly : difficult to understand *esoteric subjects*
2 a : limited to a small circle *engaging in esoteric pursuits* b : PRIVATE, CONFIDENTIAL *an esoteric purpose*
3 : of special, rare, or unusual interest *esoteric building materials*
–es£o£ter£i£cal£ly \-i-k(*-)l*\ adverb

I believe that Joshua is referring to definitions 1 and 2. Of course the technical definition of a word is often quite different than it's colloquially understood meaning. We run into that when discussing fundamentalists and fundamentalism.

Back